or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Denmark vs England

Denmark vs England

post #1 of 23
Does anyone have the score ?

Somehow I missed the match. I expect England won, I mean they couldn't possibly lose could they? Especially not by a large margin.

Hehehe
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 23
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...339591&cc=5901

Poor Calamity James. . . He has been playing so well for Manchester city (Since Pearce has been around, I think have let in no more goals than Chelsea has). What a blunder.
Cat: the other white meat
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
Does anyone have the score ?

Somehow I missed the match. I expect England won, I mean they couldn't possibly lose could they? Especially not by a large margin.

Hehehe

Troll.

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #4 of 23
lol, 4-1. You should fire that stupid swede immediately.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #5 of 23
Waddayouknow.

I didnĀ“t even know we were playing. But it could be because I am in Berlin (and just found a free access point).

But then again I have never interested me for street hockey
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by New
lol, 4-1. You should fire that stupid swede immediately.

I can't pinpoint if England's unproductive malaise is his fault or if the players are simply being lazy. But he would be easy to blame, since he certainly DOES have talent and depth at his disposal.

The one thing that must be hard is deciding what to do with Lampard and Gerrard. It's clear that they cause problems with each other in the center, since they're pretty much carbon copies of each other. The only other thing I can think of is the fact that the Beckham vs. Wright-Phillips decision should be a no-brainer in the little guy's favor, especially if Lampard and Cole are also in the midfield.

Lastly, I don't know if any Englishmen have actually posted to this thread. . . not sure who the "you" points to.
post #7 of 23
I actually don't believe it matters who the England manager is - they could have a cardboard cut-out or stuffed dummy on the throne (as indeed they have done on many occasions) and it wouldn't make any difference.

The problem is in the English psyche - basically Englishmen are bred with an inbuilt quirk that dictates to them that losing nobly is better than winning. These days they have dispensed with the 'nobly' bit but despite the recently 'rule of the chavs' there is still enough of a resident of the old public school attitude to bring joy to the heart of any Celt, Aussie or Kiwi who has the easy ride of facing an England team in any sport ranging from Crown Green Bowling to WI Flower-arranging.

In fact, whenever they win anything it is by default. A lucky kick by Wilkinson in the final (grossly extended) seconds of the RWC when the opposition had been bored into submission by a team who appeared to have rewritten the rules of rugby to something more akin to Championship Paint-Drying watching.

In fact, England may rightly be said to be champions at only one thing: losing when victory is within reach by a series of self inflicted wounds.

I shall certainly look forward to confirmation of this theory in next week's Ashes Test and then of course the Welsh team will have to give a virtuoso display to defeat them in the footie.

Having said that though, we may opt to lose as we cannot qualify for the World Cup and it isn't worth watching if England won't be there to be hammered and get the early plane home - it's kind of a British tradition.

post #8 of 23
Ouch seg...

You know guys, as a dyed-in-the-wool NFL lover, I'm trying to "get" your sport. I am. It may be another 15 years before the world's "football" becomes a big time sport like FOOTBALL here in the states.
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
You know, what's interesting about our country is that for years we were isolated from the world by two great oceans, and for a while we got a false sense of security as a result of that. We...
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
Ouch seg...

You know guys, as a dyed-in-the-wool NFL lover, I'm trying to "get" your sport. I am. It may be another 15 years before the world's "football" becomes a big time sport like FOOTBALL here in the states.

It's nice to hear that at least one NFL devotee is willing to give it a try, since despite the fact that nothing says you can't like both kinds of football, in the states there are Oh-so-many self righteous fans of American football. I can't really say if it's the other way around in the rest of the world, but I'd assume it is. If you're looking for an easy way to develop a level of interest, try betting on it. The English league is a good one, since it is heavily bet on ("punters"), the style of play is aggressive, and it's largely televised (and on Saturday) on Fox Soccer Channel. The season just started.

Anyway, there are a few hurdles to get over before world football becomes big in America. The thing it does have going for it is that it doesn't compete with American football or basketball as far as athlete absorption, since it doesn't really favor the large. What I'm trying to say is that the telent pool isn't being diluted much, if at all, by other sports. One thing it has going against it simply the fact that FIFA is an international organization, and politics of world football are very international. This will result in clashes with the unfortunate cowboy mentality of the American legal system. A good example is that the management is a worldwide affair, and the world says "no" to free agents.

Otherwise, a lot of kids play it, and it's pretty obvious that programs are getting a lot better, and bigger, every year.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by hardhead
Ouch seg...

Well, I'm an NFL fan too - or used to be when I was in NYC back in the day. What a Giants team that was! Simms, LT.....awesome third quarter in the SuperBowl 87 against the Broncos. Best ever imo.

But I digress, I think 'soccer' might make a breakthrough in the US. If Glazer makes a success with his purchase of ManU then other owners may follow suit and if that happens then it will open up the market.

Just don't try and buy Barcelona - stick to the inferior English teams !
post #11 of 23
Oh, it was just an easy opertunity for a norwegian to thumb his nose at a swede.
post #12 of 23
Quote:

But I digress, I think 'soccer' might make a breakthrough in the US. If Glazer makes a success with his purchase of ManU then other owners may follow suit and if that happens then it will open up the market.

'soccer' Well, i just can't get familiar with that word.
Otherwise, who the hell is ManU?
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #13 of 23
Well I may have mentioned it before but...

"Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, Maggie Thatcher! Your boys took a hell of a beating! Can you hear me Maggie Thahtcher? Your boys took a hell of a beating!" (c)Bjorn Lillelien 1981

Listen England - In a' seriousness I must protest aboot the poor standard of your football and the consequent embarassment visited upon the other nations o' the UK.
Heedrum Ho!
Heedrum Ho!
post #14 of 23
I just keep missing these matches - actually didn't bother to check the result of the England/NI game because there was absolutely NO WAY IN HELL England could lose. No way. Ever.

Not against one of the worst teams the competition has ever seen.

Anyway, anyone know the score?

post #15 of 23
1-0. Your gloating makes you more of a man.

"Wankers talking about other wankers and wanking." XamaX

I'll never get back the time i just wasted reading that post." Miami Craig
" It's like you've achieved some kind of irrelevance zen, or...

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex London
1-0. Your gloating makes you more of a man.

Thanks
post #17 of 23
I thankyou. ( Of course being a Welsh nationalist is without any piss-taking possibilities, well tonight anyway. Kiss-kiss,)

post #18 of 23
Quote:
I thankyou. ( Of course being a Welsh nationalist is without any piss-taking possibilities, well tonight anyway. Kiss-kiss,)

Well, I had to put up with the same elsewhere when we lost a few nights ago. Fair do's really. Kind of all in the game.

Sven must go now though no? At least they should get an Englishman, Pearce for example, you need a national to coach a national team imo.
post #19 of 23
It's the barely concealed hatred I don't like Segs. Anyway, as a balance you barely lost a few days ago. I love Giggs and co. Up Wales etc. Seriously. Oh and as for Sven, I think someone had it right when they compared him to Chancey Gardiner (sic?) in Being There. He has been promoted beyond his IQ. Have a beer and a laugh on us. Peace. Actually the more I think about it, please keep taking the piss. Yours in the depths of despair, Alex. xox

post #20 of 23
Quote:
It's the barely concealed hatred I don't like Segs. Anyway, as a balance you barely lost a few days ago. I love Giggs and co. Up Wales etc. Seriously. Oh and as for Sven, I think someone had it right when they compared him to Chancey Gardiner (sic?) in Being There. He has been promoted beyond his IQ. Have a beer and a laugh on us. Peace.

Well, I don't drink so I'll pass but thanks for the offer. Mecca cola maybe. Heh.

But I think hatred is a bit strong - maybe not actually now I think about it but it is confined to sport and it isn't really 'real' - it's like cartoon villains or a soap opera. I think the English do the same with Germany. And France - although that veers out of the sporting domain.

Anyway, I admit I may have some 'issues' but I'm trying to channel them harmlessly into the sport arena

Chancey Gardner was sexually clueless though wasn't he and isn't Sven a bit of a swordsman by all accounts?
post #21 of 23
Quote:
I just keep missing these matches - actually didn't bother to check the result of the England/NI game because there was absolutely NO WAY IN HELL England could lose. No way. Ever.

Not against one of the worst teams the competition has ever seen.

Anyway, anyone know the score?

The coverage here in N. Ireland noted that England just lost to a team rated below Gabon and Botswana... and it was the first win in Belfast against England for 78 years... many a glass will be raised tonight on this island.

Care to lift a pint this Friday night? I'll be in Edinburgh. We could make it an AI armbender...

I'll be coming out of the Royal Museum around 5...
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Sven must go now though no? At least they should get an Englishman, Pearce for example, you need a national to coach a national team imo.

Supposedly Curbishley is next in line, although it's going to take some convincing to pull him away from Charlton.
post #23 of 23
On a side note, there was an important cricket match this weekend between England and, er, Australia, I think.

Did anyone catch the score?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Denmark vs England