or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Katrina the somber possibilities and the ME reaction.

Katrina the somber possibilities and the ME reaction.

post #1 of 48
So it looks as if the worst case scenario for New Orleans is about to happen.

The scary part of this is there is no real way to predict what will happen if there is a direct hit. Sadly about 150,000 or more people are now stuck there - literally hoping for the best.

I hope that everyone prays for those there, even if you aren't of a religious persuasion - just in case, ya know.

However, if the worst does happen, I am very curious and will be watching closely the reaction of the ME. Will we see chearing in the streats by the Palestinians? The Iranians? Will we see an outpouring of aid from any of them?

I would like to think that cercumstances like these will bring out the best in people. I guess we'll see.
post #2 of 48
Personally, I don't think your concern about the ME is even worthy of comment.

Sorry, it is just an innane attempt at finding persecution.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #3 of 48
Yea seriously... what the FUCK?!

orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #4 of 48

this thread is ridiculously offensive
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #5 of 48
Moving away from the paranoid Islamophobic premise of the thread.

A relevant political connection with the ME..and that is the possible impact of Katrina on the petrochemical infrastructure of the S. Louisiana area. With crude/gas prices at record levels, a major disruption in supplies,, with accompanying damage and destruction to rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, and refineries in the area impacted by Katrina... this could severely impact oil prices and cause knock-on damage to the economy of the US as a whole.

here's one link to LA oil industry.... http://www.lmoga.com/newhome.html
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #6 of 48
Theres a story here on ABC re. the possible impact of Katrina on the oil industry.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Weath...ory?id=1075628
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
However, if the worst does happen, I am very curious and will be watching closely the reaction of the ME. Will we see chearing in the streats by the Palestinians? The Iranians? Will we see an outpouring of aid from any of them?

Yeah and I bet those French will be happy. And Canada. And the Germans and Spaniards and terrorist-loving Italians... hell, all of Europe. Well not England, they won't be happy. OK, maybe the people of England but not Tony. But Russia, they hate us. And the Scandinavians will probably start celebrating by having curling parties of something. Don't even get me started on the Chinese. And the liberals in America will be cheering right along with the "bitch in the ditch" and Michael Moore. And the independents too, and those RINOs in the Northeast.
post #8 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
Theres a story here on ABC re. the possible impact of Katrina on the oil industry.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Weath...ory?id=1075628

It may be a really good thing that our extensive oil reserves were not touched up til now.
post #9 of 48
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/28/D8C94PF80.html

Quote:
Forecasters warned that Mississippi and Alabama were also in danger. Because of Katrina's size _ its hurricane-force winds extended 105 miles from the center _ even areas far from the landfall could be devastated. Beyond the winds, the storm packed the potential for a surge of 18 to 28 feet, 30-foot waves and as much as 15 inches of rain.

"The conditions have to be absolutely perfect to have a hurricane become this strong," said National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield, noting that Katrina may yet be more powerful than 1992's Hurricane Andrew. Andrew, with 165 mph winds, leveled parts of South Florida, killed 43 people and caused $31 billion in damage.
post #10 of 48
First of all, let me say that I am honestly hoping everyone is safe, that no lives are lost, and that any damage is quickly repaired. End of story. I don't have to tie this in to anything political. But I have to respond to this.

Quote:
However, if the worst does happen, I am very curious and will be watching closely the reaction of the ME.

Will we see chearing in the streats by the Palestinians? The Iranians? Will we see an outpouring of aid from any of them?

I find the thought of ANYONE trying to profit off of this politically deeply offensive. Yet here you are, frothing at the mouth, knowing full well that if any video is released from the Middle East, it'll be of a few fanatics. However, I'd like to think that even the Bush Administration has enough integrity not to try to use this to justify hatred of Muslims.

The actions of George W. Bush have caused anyone capable of hatred in the Middle East to hate America. There will be some Muslims who will see any death or destruction as divine retribution. These people are sick.

Just like these people.

Let us pray that God will send a massive Tsunami to totally devastate the North American continent with 1000-foot walls of water doing 500 mph -- even as islands in southern Asia have recently been laid waste, with but a small remnant surviving.

No doubt these people (this person) will cheer and praise God for killing all the fags in that horrible city of unbounded sin, New Orleans. I bet San Francisco is next.

And these.

Many of the nations afflicted by the recent Tsunami were predominantly of the idolatrous Islamic religion. It is without question that Islam will be a driving force behind the final persecution of the Jewish people. Indonesia, the nation worst hit by the Tsunami, had an increasingly extremist Islamic influence. The other countries also affected have likewise in large measure departed from true biblical Christianity and are now embracing radical Islam in its stead. There is no doubt that this is a judgment from God upon such idolatrous practices.

No doubt the fanatical Muslims who want to point out how horrible Christians are spread these stories and stories like them all around their communities. Just like what the fanatical Christians who want to point out how horrible Muslims are will do in Katrina's wake.

Just like you're doing in advance, licking your lips for the attack.

Quote:
I would like to think that cercumstances like these will bring out the best in people. I guess we'll see.

The real Christians are the ones who say, "By no means do the actions of a few individuals representative of the average Iraqi/Palestinian/Iranian." The bigots will say, "Look how evil all those Muslims are!"

I guess we'll see.
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by tonton
I find the thought of ANYONE trying to profit off of this politically deeply offensive. Yet here you are, frothing at the mouth, knowing full well that if any video is released from the Middle East, it'll be of a few fanatics. However, I'd like to think that even the Bush Administration has enough integrity not to try to use this to justify hatred of Muslims.

Right like sent military aid and millions and millions of dollars to their aid when nature turned on them. Remember the tsunami and the Earthquake in Iran?
Quote:
There will be some Muslims who will see any death or destruction as divine retribution.

Yeah, any that attend a mosque in Iran, maybe.

Quote:
No doubt the fanatical Muslims who want to point out how horrible Christians are spread these stories and stories like them all around their communities. Just like what the fanatical Christians who want to point out how horrible Muslims are will do in Katrina's wake.

You found two people that feel that natural disasters are divine intervention, and your second link was a theologian trying to explore how the tsunami might tie into god's plan, not exactly dancing in the streets. But OK.

Quote:
The real Christians are the ones who say, "By no means do the actions of a few individuals representative of the average Iraqi/Palestinian/Iranian." The bigots will say, "Look how evil all those Muslims are!"

I think that you're missing the point. Islam has been hijacked by radicals - you know, the kind of people that celebrate the death of innocents - with one goal in mind. All I'm saying is that we should not ignore the tell-tale signs when and if (and in this situation there are a lot of ifs) they show themselves.

Additionally, I love when one person tries to define "true" or "real" Christianity.

Your post has proven that you are much more eager to label GWB with "evil" (let's not even get into the fact that the current situation is a result of many decision by many people) long before you are willing to label the actual evildoers. And that, my friend I find sad - that there are people that can't recognize evil and make every excuse for it.
post #12 of 48
Quote:
You found two people that feel that natural disasters are divine intervention, and your second link was a theologian trying to explore how the tsunami might tie into god's plan, not exactly dancing in the streets. But OK.

I think that you're missing the point. Islam has been hijacked by radicals - you know, the kind of people that celebrate the death of innocents - with one goal in mind. All I'm saying is that we should not ignore the tell-tale signs when and if (and in this situation there are a lot of ifs) they show themselves.

Pat Roberston would have been dancing if he could dance. The evangellicals are just as hateful as the radiacal Islamists.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Additionally, I love when one person tries to define "true" or "real" Christianity.

I love it when Islamophobic racists who know nothing whatsoever about their own culture - let alone one they despise on the other side of the world - set themselves up as 'experts' on something they know nothing about just because they hate it.

Actually - no, I don't love it.

It's embarrassing.

What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Pat Roberston would have been dancing if he could dance. The evangellicals are just as hateful as the radiacal Islamists.

And I would call his behavior evil also. However, I don't recall whole cities in the states celebrating when catastrophic events occurred elsewhere. Perhaps I missed it?
post #15 of 48
Quote:
And I would call his behavior evil also. However, I don't recall whole cities in the states celebrating when catastrophic events occurred elsewhere. Perhaps I missed it?

You'll dance yourself soon enough when Iranian blood starts flowing. Perhaps there are enough of your ilk to found a small settlement - then you won't have to miss it next time.

If I believed in such inane reductionist terminology I would call you evil too but there are better words perhaps. Who's to say who's right?
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by segovius
I love it when Islamophobic racists

Not to derail further, but it should be noted that you are portraying yourself as a "Christianophobic" over here. So tossing around "Islamophobic" as some kind of derisive charge is a tad ironic on your part.
post #17 of 48
This whole thread, and virtually every post in it, make me want to vomit.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
Not to derail further, but it should be noted that you are portraying yourself as a "Christianophobic" over here. So tossing around "Islamophobic" as some kind of derisive charge is a tad ironic on your part.

Not really - the people I was commenting on stand in relation to Christianity as NaplesX does to Islam.
post #19 of 48
Hey, speaking of Christians - what are the chances that Falwell, Robertson, or one of their ilk is going to characterize this as New Orleans' punishment by God for the wickedness and debauchery and gayness of the French Quarter?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
Hey, speaking of Christians - what are the chances that Falwell, Robertson, or one of their ilk is going to characterize this as New Orleans' punishment by God for the wickedness and debauchery and gayness of the French Quarter?

Hey, they did it with 911.
post #21 of 48
Quote:

If the Islamist terrorists had the same magnitude effect on us that we have on them, we would be dancing in the streets when they got wacked.

3000 people in the trade towers was insignificant compared to the death dealing done by the USA.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
If the Islamist terrorists had the same magnitude effect on us that we have on them, we would be dancing in the streets when they got wacked.

3000 people in the trade towers was insignificant compared to the death dealing done by the USA.

And don't forget those dancing Israelis - everyone's doing it apparently.

The Russians have a cool cossack half-sitting thing too.......
post #23 of 48
I guess one country from the ME has reacted to the tragedy:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1125454956818

Quote:
Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom sent US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice a letter offering assistance and expressing sympathy for the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina a day after a State Department spokesman said that Rice had not received any calls from her colleagues abroad.

"Please allow me to express my condolences to you and to the people of the United States of America on the loss of life and the terrible pain and destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina," Shalom wrote.

"As we all stand in awe at the great force of nature unleashed on the shores of the United States, please be rest assured that the people of Israel share your sorrow and extend our hand in comfort and friendship," he wrote. "We also stand ready to assist in any way possible."
post #24 of 48
So? The Iranians said basically the same thing yesterday.

Not to mention how ridiculous this thread is to begin with
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker

100 Percent

Quote:
"Southern Decadence" has a history of filling the French Quarters section of the city with drunken homosexuals engaging in sex acts in the public streets and bars. Last year, a local pastor sent video footage of sex acts being performed in front of police to the mayor, city council, and the media. City officials simply ignored the footage and continued to welcome and praise the weeklong celebration as being an "exciting event". However, Hurricane Katrina has put an end to the annual celebration of sin.

"Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city," stated Repent America director Michael Marcavage. "From 'Girls Gone Wild' to 'Southern Decadence,' New Orleans was a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. From the devastation may a city full of righteousness emerge," he continued.

"We must help and pray for those ravaged by this disaster, but let us not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long," Marcavage said. "May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty God," Marcavage concluded.

God sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (Matthew 5:45)
post #26 of 48
Here's another one - they're coming thick and fast now....

Quote:
For six days they watched as thousands of weeping people were pulled and carried from their homes, forced to leave their gardens, parks, communities, schools, towns and synagogues, everything they had spent decades building; banned from ever returning again. Those scenes were soon followed by pictures of bulldozers and other earth-moving machinery pulverizing the just-vacated homes into heaps of dust.

While this was taking place, a small tropical depression was forming near the Bahamas in the Atlantic Ocean. Slowly, as the air began to revolve, the nonthreatening weather system began moving in the direction of Florida.

Is this some sort of bizarre coincidence? Not for those who believe in the God of the Bible and the immutability of His Word.

What America is about to experience is the lifting of Gods hand of protection; the implementation of His judgment on the nation most responsible for endangering the land and people of Israel.

The Bible talks about Him shaking His fist over bodies of water, and striking them.....America is now experiencing the consequences (curses) of Middle East policies, which have been opposed to Gods Word and to the preservation of His covenant land.

As this storm of a lifetime wreaks its rage on the southern United States today, non-believers may be tempted to shake their fists at God. Others will cry out for mercy. Will God hear them?
post #27 of 48
Quote:
100 Percent

Quote:
Here's another one - they're coming thick and fast now....

Damn those iranians and their theology of hate.

In the mean time where are the post where you express sorrow for the 1000 dead iraqis from yesterday NaplesX? If all muslims has to express sorrow for the hurricane hitting the Christian country its only fair that all christians should express sorrow when the same hits a muslim country starting with yourself. And if any christian should show any schadenfreude it of course falls back on all christians.

(BTW notice how hard it is for the theologists to find the exact reason for the hurricane. Is it all the fags or is it Sharon God wants to punish? Wouldn´t it be easier if God left a giant Post-It on the Superdome so we knew exactly how to interpret his action)
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders

In the mean time where are the post where you express sorrow for the 1000 dead iraqis from yesterday NaplesX? If all muslims has to express sorrow for the hurricane hitting the Christian country its only fair that all christians should express sorrow when the same hits a muslim country starting with yourself. And if any christian should show any schadenfreude it of course falls back on all christians.

(BTW notice how hard it is for the theologists to find the exact reason for the hurricane. Is it all the fags or is it Sharon God wants to punish? Wouldn´t it be easier if God left a giant Post-It on the Superdome so we knew exactly how to interpret his action)

Yes, imagine if a Muslim cleric had said any of the above, I think we all know there would be a different story.

But basically it all boils down to two things: there are haters and non-haters - the haters sometimes where an Islamic hat, sometimes a Christian one, sometimes they even point out the errors of others who wear these hats.

An extremist is an extremist is an extremist.
post #29 of 48
Quote:

In the mean time where are the post where you express sorrow for the 1000 dead iraqis from yesterday NaplesX?

I know that sucked when I saw that. I have been pretty busy trying to get up to the hurricane hit area, and I was hoping someone started a thread on that. I was floored, what huge and instant loss of life.

Quote:
If all muslims has to express sorrow for the hurricane hitting the Christian country its only fair that all christians should express sorrow when the same hits a muslim country starting with yourself. And if any christian should show any schadenfreude it of course falls back on all christians.

if you say so.

Quote:

I don't subscribe to any of those theories.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Yes, imagine if a Muslim cleric had said any of the above, I think we all know there would be a different story.

But basically it all boils down to two things: there are haters and non-haters - the haters sometimes where an Islamic hat, sometimes a Christian one, sometimes they even point out the errors of others who wear these hats.

True that, and IMO we are far too acquiescent in the face of this and the rest of the BS that comes from people like them.
post #31 of 48
Quote:

Takes one to know one...
IBL!
IBL!
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
Takes one to know one...

But I've got an even more extremist brother and he's bigger than yours
post #33 of 48
Quote:

It is official US Government policy NOT TO ACCEPT foreign aid, regardless of the political leaning of the (US) administration. If there has been any "lack of foreign aid offers", there may be part of the reason. From what I have read, many nations have offered aid, including "enemies" like Venezuela, Cuba and Iran. In the light of government policy, these aid offers have most probably been rejected.
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
It is official US Government policy NOT TO ACCEPT foreign aid, regardless of the political leaning of the (US) administration.

WTF. Are they ready to do an NK on its own citizents?

What if an out of control wild fire erupted in Texas? Would much needed water spraying planes from Mexico be rejected?
post #35 of 48
Just in on CNN: Cuba's Fidel Castro has just offered the services of 1,100 top notch doctors and 30,000lb of medicine, to aid the hurricane victims. How will the administration react to that?

Those evil socialists strike again!
post #36 of 48
From the daily press briefing of The US DoS, Sept. 1, 2005:

"MR. MCCORMACK: Good afternoon. I want to start with a brief update on a topic that I know is of interest to everybody here concerning Hurricane Katrina relief and relief efforts as well as on offers of foreign assistance. Let me start off by saying that we have received numerous and generous offers of assistance from foreign governments and foreign organizations. And Secretary Rice after consulting with the White House has made it clear that we will accept all offers of foreign assistance. Anything that can be of help to alleviate the difficult situation, the tragic situation, of the people of the area affected by Hurricane Katrina will be accepted.

I can run through a list, thus far. It's a list that's being constantly updated and growing really by the hour. We've received general offers of assistance, as well as some more specific offers of assistance from a number of different countries and organizations and includes: Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, the Organization of American States, Jamaica, NATO, Australia, the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel and the United Arab Emirates. I'll try to keep you updated as best we can on those lists. Like I said, it's growing literally by the hour.

Also, I wanted to update you on a few messages of sympathy and condolences have been coming in. These have been streaming in. I don't have a complete list of those right now, but it's been very heartening and very gratifying to receive these messages coming in as people around the globe see the tragic situation and the suffering of the people of the areas affected by this hurricane and the aftermath.

Secretary Rice has spoken personally, for example, with Foreign Minister Fischer of Germany just this morning. We received messages of sympathy and condolence from other countries like Israel and Japan as well and I can go on and on. I don't have a complete list right now. Secretary Rice is being briefed by staff that is with her on a regular basis. She's in contact with -- back here in the Department with Under Secretary Burns who is quarterbacking our efforts here at the Department, making sure that the Department is working closely with foreign governments, as well as the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA.

Secretary Rice spoke with Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff this morning. She made it clear that the State Department is going to be working closely and in support of the Department of Homeland Security in their efforts. And really, that's all I have at the moment. I just wanted to open up because I knew that this is an interest -- some of you took interest in.

QUESTION: From what you know, are there any specifics, particularly graphic specifics or significant specifics, you can provide on Country X offering Item Y? Anything you could do to illustrate the generosity and the effort?

MR. MCCORMACK: Let me make one point before -- I'll try to give you some examples of the types of things that countries have offered. The process that's happening here is we are, here at the Department of State, receiving offers of foreign assistance from overseas. Embassies here in Washington contact us or foreign governments are contacting our embassies, and those requests are funneled back here to Washington. We then immediately pass those along to FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security. The process then is Homeland Security and FEMA look at what the offers are, what the capabilities of those foreign countries are, those foreign organizations, and trying to match those up against needs. And so that's the process that's going on now. And Homeland Security and FEMA have the lead on that but we're working closely with them.

Let me give you a few examples of the types of things that have been offered: boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance, an offer of assistance from Venezuela through Citgo, which is a U.S. subsidiary of the Venezuelan Government National Oil Company.

QUESTION: And they offered oil? That's what I was asking about yesterday.

MR. MCCORMACK: Right. And you asked me -- you asked about that, yes.

What other types of offers? Offers of medical teams, offers of assistance in helping to restore electrical power expertise. So those are -- that's a sort of rough summary of the types of aid that has been offered."

State Department Press Briefing

update: The list of countries/organizations now includes, but is not limited to:

Australia, Austria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, China, Columbia, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, the European Union, France, Germany, Guatemala, Greece, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, NATO, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the Organization of American States, Paraguay, Philippines, Portugal, South Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the World Health Organization.

And in her Sept. 2, 2005 briefing, Rice said:

Quote:
I want to note in particular that we received a generous offer of support from Sri Lanka, a country that, as we speak, is still recovering from its own massive natural disaster."

she also added:

Quote:
"Recently, we have seen the American people respond generously to help others around the globe during their times of distress, such as during the recent tsunami. Today, we are seeing a similar urgent, warm and compassionate reaction from the international community in response to Katrina."

We gonna hear an apology or wha'?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #37 of 48
Thats good to hear. I could not imagine a democracy be defensive enough to say we don´t need your help in a time of crisis.

But I have one issue. What about Poland? They forgot about Poland!
post #38 of 48
I see that Venezuela want to help. Perhaps they could send money through this charity.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I see that Venezuela want to help. Perhaps they could send money through this charity.

nice

Actually though, they are obviously in a Commie Plot with Castro's Cuba to topple the US by offering disaster aid.

At least, it's obvious to anyone with half a brain.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell

It's really good to see help offered from all these places. Perhaps there is hope for mankind.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Katrina the somber possibilities and the ME reaction.