or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Reports confirms Sept 7 iTunes phone launch

Reports confirms Sept 7 iTunes phone launch

post #1 of 32
Apple and Motorola indeed have plans to unveil their long- awaited iTunes music phones next week during the special event to be held in San Francisco, The New York Times is confirming.

The publication cites "a telecommunications industry analyst who has been briefed on the announcement" in saying that the Sept 7th event coincides with the launch of the phones. The findings corroborate an AppleInsider report from last week, which also placed the iTunes phone launch on Sept 7th.

Roger Entner, a telecommunications analyst with market research firm Ovum , told the Times he had been informed by an industry executive that the iTunes phone would be marketed by Cingular Wireless. The Wall Street Journal also reported on Monday that Apple and Cingular had struck a deal that would make the phone available in time for the holidays.

"Apple also may introduce a line of iPod digital music players intended to replace its hugely popular iPod mini line," a source told the Journal.

Apple, Motorola and Cingular all reportedly declined to confirm or deny the reports. However, Apple on Monday, through digital invites to the media, announced that it would hold a special media event on Sept. 7 at San Francisco's Moscone Center. The invites flaunt a teaser reading, "1,000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again."

It's expected that Motorola and Apple will introduce a complete line of music-oriented phones that go by the name ROKR, rather than a single handset.
post #2 of 32
Why can't I get excited about an iPod phone? I have an iPod and a mobile phone and can't see paying out the money for a combined product. The people who would financially be in the market will also have both at their fingertips now and will face the same question I do. Only those that want the latest gadget would get excited. For me it's Moto being a day late and a dollar short yet again.
Ken
Ken
post #3 of 32
These phones better be good, or I'll be wicked pissed!
This ROKRs just seem SO motorolaish! I agree can't seem to get excited about it, just to many rumors and speculation about this thing that NEVER seems to get resolved...
post #4 of 32
If this event is just to announce this phone then I'm not really that excited. Give me a moto equivalent to the Treo 650 that plays iTunes music and you've got my attention.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 32
arghghhhghhghhh. this better be good. i think steve just wants to get this over and done with, but he knows it's gotta be RDF'ed right.

that CEO of moto is such a smarmy dodgy-looking daggy salesman type dude. and now having it tied into a carrier, Singularlycraptacular, i have a bad feeling about this. apple wants it out of the way so they can continue on refreshed iPods and iPodVideo eventually, and of course Macintels for 2006 OS X domination (well, gradual increase in market share)

the mobile market, ringtones, and handhelds is just such a messy space right now. apple is better to do a top-down approach, which is what they are thinking with intel -- somewhere along the lines in 2006 the iBook will meet the iPod and it will access ubiquitious broadband (wiMax ?)
post #6 of 32
If this phone is done well, and doesn't cost a fortune, I'm all for it. I don't want a super-duper-does-everything smartphone, just a plain old regular phone and iPod combined. Those are the only gadgets I carry around with me everywhere, and if they're integrated properly, with neither function adversely affected by the other, and if the package is still reasonably small, then YES I want one.
post #7 of 32
Originally posted by TrevorD
If this phone is done well, and doesn't cost a fortune, I'm all for it. I don't want a super-duper-does-everything smartphone, just a plain old regular phone and iPod combined. Those are the only gadgets I carry around with me everywhere, and if they're integrated properly, with neither function adversely affected by the other, and if the package is still reasonably small, then YES I want one.

yeah the problem is Moto is involved. i've tried 3 of their phones in the past 2.5 years and it just never did it for me. why can't Sony f())(king get their act together and work closer with Apple? bloody helll
post #8 of 32
Quote:
If this phone is done well, and doesn't cost a fortune, I'm all for it.

Not me -- I want a phone that isn't done well, and costs a fortune!
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by wilco
Not me -- I want a phone that isn't done well, and costs a fortune!

I was commenting on the fact that many people don't seem to want it unless it's a Treo-like smartphone, or they don't see a significant market for an iTunes phone. I, OTOH, wouldn't buy a full-blown smartphone, iTunes or not. I just want a simple, straight-forward phone that works like a phone, and I want a simple, straight-forward music player that works like a music player. If they can successfully merge those two devices without hampering either one, then I will be very excited. My only concern is that many convergence devices end up forsaking simplicity in favour of features, and that would be a bad thing.
post #10 of 32
Quote:
My only concern is that many convergence devices end up forsaking simplicity in favour of features, and that would be a bad thing.

And very un Apple Like, which is why I can't understand why Steves making this announcement, its primarily a MOTOROLA PRODUCT that just happens to have an iTunes feature!!!
post #11 of 32
If this is the iTunes phone release, then I think Apple did its worst campaign announcement ever.

First, they're mentioning the 1000 songs of the original iPod. Then, theyre releasing a device that doesn't hold as many songs and has a shorter battery life when combined with current cell phone features.

Second, they're comparing it to how the iPod changed everything. I feel, in personal audio, it did. Okay, actually the iTMS did. However, do they really think this phone will change everything? If so, why are they officially announcing its release in a campaign that almost puts it against the iPod. I mean if they're changing everything, again, shouldn't I lose my iPod and just get an iTune Phone.

On the other hand, in the end the phone doesn't seem like a big deal for Apple until they design their own - maybe with Motorola's help, like they have used Sony in the past. Apple software driving the phone. Apple makes their money off their iPods and skims some off of iTMS. The phone would be mainly Motorola's cash. iTunes on it is basically just an application with some licensing fees.

My analysis, I think Apple will announce some new products from San Francisco and then pass the floor to Motorola on the east coast to announce the phone. Or. No phone at all.

Then again maybe its something some are only hoping for:
1. Apple Media Center
2. Video iPod and iTunes 5
3. Updated Airports with streaming video
4. Higher capacity shuffles with playlists (no screen please)
5. Flash based iPod Mini with color screen

Palmer Deville
post #12 of 32
No comment.
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by pdeville
If this is the iTunes phone release, then I think Apple did its worst campaign announcement ever.

"Beyond the Rumor Sites. Way Beyond." was so much better?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by pdeville

First, they're mentioning the 1000 songs of the original iPod. Then, theyre releasing a device that doesn't hold as many songs and has a shorter battery life when combined with current cell phone features.

Second, they're comparing it to how the iPod changed everything. I feel, in personal audio, it did. Okay, actually the iTMS did. However, do they really think this phone will change everything? If so, why are they officially announcing its release in a campaign that almost puts it against the iPod. I mean if they're changing everything, again, shouldn't I lose my iPod and just get an iTune Phone.

On the other hand, in the end the phone doesn't seem like a big deal for Apple until they design their own - maybe with Motorola's help, like they have used Sony in the past. Apple software driving the phone. Apple makes their money off their iPods and skims some off of iTMS. The phone would be mainly Motorola's cash. iTunes on it is basically just an application with some licensing fees.

My analysis, I think Apple will announce some new products from San Francisco and then pass the floor to Motorola on the east coast to announce the phone. Or. No phone at all.

Then again maybe its something some are only hoping for:
1. Apple Media Center
2. Video iPod and iTunes 5
3. Updated Airports with streaming video
4. Higher capacity shuffles with playlists (no screen please)
5. Flash based iPod Mini with color screen

Palmer Deville

Palmer Deville, you are something else!
post #15 of 32
Wilco,

Thanks. I guess that's what years as an analyst does... Intelligence not market.

Just my opinions and my reasoning. Since I posted my take, Hardmac.com has posted their own. Hardmac states roughly the same thing with a slightly different reasoning.

I stand by my analysis and open to discussion.

Hey, it's all in fun anyway right. Who knows what Apple will do. They did release the "Mighty" Mouse after all, which is quite a name for something so ordinary. "Changing everything" to Apple is Steve walking up on stage.

Palmer Deville
post #16 of 32
Palmer Deville, you rock!
post #17 of 32
I'm hoping this isn't all that's anounced on Wednesday.

I have Verizon and just bought a new phone yesterday, so this couldn't appeal to me any less. And even if I had Cingular I wouldn't get this blasted iTunes phone.

New iPods! New iPod minis! Something else besides a damn iTunes phone, please!
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
No comment.

heh. hang in there mel ... i really just cant wait for this fucking iPhone rubbish to be over and done with, and we can dropkick MotoLOSERS out the door. oh lords of kobol, please put us all out of our misery soon.
post #19 of 32
well said.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
heh. hang in there mel ... i really just cant wait for this fucking iPhone rubbish to be over and done with, and we can dropkick MotoLOSERS out the door. oh lords of kobol, please put us all out of our misery soon.

Yeah. Get that damned arrow and shoot it at someone.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Yeah. Get that damned arrow and shoot it at someone.

no, its not supposed to be used that way... although it would be cool if the arrow was also used to kill the number1 cyclon-human clone person/thing ~ stake through the heart ~ killing the "head vampire" style
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
no, its not supposed to be used that way... although it would be cool if the arrow was also used to kill the number1 cyclon-human clone person/thing ~ stake through the heart ~ killing the "head vampire" style

No, I'm thinking someone in marketing. You know, that first up against the wall thing?
post #23 of 32
If Sprint doesn't have it, I won't buy it, and I will tell Apple exactly why they lost a potential sale. Apple is going to do no one a favor by forcing you to change cell phone providers to buy their new gadget. Apple needs to make it available to every cell network.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Buran
If Sprint doesn't have it, I won't buy it, and I will tell Apple exactly why they lost a potential sale. Apple is going to do no one a favor by forcing you to change cell phone providers to buy their new gadget. Apple needs to make it available to every cell network.

Apple isn't forcing anynoe into doing anything. In case you don't know, it's the Cell companies who decide which phones they'll use, not the phone manufacturers.

I'm sure Apple would prefer to have every Cell company offer their phone.
post #25 of 32
pdeville raises some very good points. Another point of consideration is that this is not the first cellphone/DMP combination. It's probably the first to support the AAC format and definitely the first to support FairPlay protected files, but other cellphones have come before that support MP3 files: Nokia 6230, Sony Ericsson K700i, Moto MS400 are some of the more recent models. If you haven't heard much about these phones, it's because their MP3 capabilities were poorly excecuted and poorly marketed.

In my experience, Moto make reasonably reliable, but very ugly phones. What I've seen of the iTunes phone's rumored appearance is no exception to the last fraction of that sentence. Ugly. Very ugly.

The iTunes phone is meant to give its users a "taste of the iPod experience". Job's own words from a Moto presentation. When I heard that, I imagined the iPod equivalent of one of those shampoo samplers, and from what I've heard so far, that's exactly what the iTunes phone is. Rumor has it, the iTunes software kitted on the phone limits the user to keeping 25 songs on the device at once... don't expect to be throwing your iPod out any time soon. No, not even your Shuffle.
post #26 of 32
Its gonna have a 4, 5 or 6 GB HD in it. No reason why not (size of a nickle), making the 1000 songs reference quite relevante.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #27 of 32
the BBC has this on it's website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4200540.stm
www.pixelrevolution.com/webcam/
2.66 MacPro, 15" MacbookPro
"I think I once saw Steve Jobs at Seaworld"
www.vrhull.co.uk/(click an ad and earn me some cash)
www.pixelrevolution.com/webcam/
2.66 MacPro, 15" MacbookPro
"I think I once saw Steve Jobs at Seaworld"
www.vrhull.co.uk/(click an ad and earn me some cash)
post #28 of 32
There are, of course, other reasons to believe Sept 7 isn't going to be the release of the iTunes phone:

1.) Reportedly, the beta version of the iTunes Phone software limited its capacity to 25 songs. IF these reports were correct, either Apple limited the iTunes phone beta so it wouldn't end up stolen and sold on the black market - not in their best interests as this wouldn't give proper beta results - or the caption of the flyer was a misprint for, "1000 songs, on the very old iPods, but on your brand new, very expensive cellphone, you can only store 2.5% of that figure."

2.) Why would Apple refer to the iPod in advertising the iTunes phone, products they clearly want to be kept distinct from one another? Remember, it's the iTunes Phone (running on a machine not even manufactured by Apple), not the iPod phone.

3.) Why would apple say, "...here we go again" about a completely new device that isn't even an Apple product?
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by jdbartlett
2.) Why would Apple refer to the iPod in advertising the iTunes phone, products they clearly want to be kept distinct from one another? Remember, it's the iTunes Phone (running on a machine not even manufactured by Apple), not the iPod phone.

That is a great question to ask Apple when trying to justify an iTunes phone at all. I still don´t see the rationale, unless they get royalties from each sold phone that is comparable to the margins on a iPod Mini.

If there is a limit to the number of songs (to limit the cannibalation of the iPod Mini) then I don´t understand Mot´s rationale. The iTunes interface only really shine through with 200+ songs and they could have made something smarter than bringing in Apple and their fees.
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
The iTunes interface only really shine through with 200+ songs and they could have made something smarter than bringing in Apple and their fees.

Moto have already tried MP3 phones, but they haven't won any real success. I think they figured backing from a big player would improve the success of future musical phones. From Apple's perspective, this could be a way to entice more folks into getting their fingers wet with legal digital music (preferably, from Apple's perspective, legal digital music downloaded from iTMS).

I agree about the interface. If this things is to be as limited as rumor reports, it will be very limited - with 25 songs, it's not worthwhile having playlists, let alone smart playlists!
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
That is a great question to ask Apple when trying to justify an iTunes phone at all. I still don´t see the rationale, unless they get royalties from each sold phone that is comparable to the margins on a iPod Mini.

If there is a limit to the number of songs (to limit the cannibalation of the iPod Mini) then I don´t understand Mot´s rationale. The iTunes interface only really shine through with 200+ songs and they could have made something smarter than bringing in Apple and their fees.

They're supposed to be getting licensing fees. How much per phone I don't know.

I've read that there will be the capability of having 100-120 songs will possibility expansion after that number.

Analysts are expecting this to be a hit.

It's just 7 days to go. I'm not making any more guesses.

At this point, all that's happening is that people are repeating the same old things ad nauseam.
post #32 of 32
I think that we are looking at the ultimate impulse purchase. Everyone carries their cell phone everywhere. Imagine how much more money Apple can make when someone can immediately dial up anywhere with cell coverage and immediately download music.

I would also expect that Apple would put in some way to download chargeable ringtones and also someway to use parts of the iTunes songs for ringtones.

Ringtones is a huge and expanding business. If Apple is able to tap into that market by giving cell access to the itms, I can see how this could be a big deal.

Also, this may be the start of the itms subscription service. Purchase the songs by cell and have your itms account accessible at al times for music. That way, Apple could limit the amount of storage necessary on the phone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Reports confirms Sept 7 iTunes phone launch