or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL!

Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL! - Page 5

post #161 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Matsu
WTF? Where's FEMA? Mulder, Sculley...

I just heard from a military guy that there is only one way in and out. There are hundreds of armed thugs threatening to hijack ambulances trying to get patiants out of hospitals. There are armed goons waiting for helicopters to land to hijack the foods. So now they are waiting for the NGuard to hunt these guys down.

Sick.
post #162 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
It's day four pfflam, nobody's gushing praise here, there are people dying from heat prostration at this very minute.

But the nasty Guard/Bush is responsible tangent has got to go -- this goes much deeper than having an extra couple thousand troops --- supposedly FEMA had things 'all planned out' for years.

I'd expect the Red Cross and other's like them will actually be the ones who end up getting things DONE.

dmz, you're sounding more reasonable than usual in this thread, which makes me wonder if cracks are starting to appear in that levee in your head. Since you're stuffing that crack with a demonization of FEMA, try these on for size:
1. Who is the head of FEMA?
2. What is his professional training?
3. Who appointed him?
4. And, finally, which agency currently has primary responsibility for coordinating disaster relief like this?
post #163 of 288
Here's an educational collection of facts, figures, people, and dates:
Quote:
January 2001: Bush appoints Joe Allbaugh, a crony from Texas, as head of FEMA. Allbaugh has no previous experience in disaster management.

April 2001: Budget Director Mitch Daniels announces the Bush administration's goal of privatizing much of FEMA's work. In May, Allbaugh confirms that FEMA will be downsized: "Many are concerned that federal disaster assistance may have evolved into both an oversized entitlement program...." he said. "Expectations of when the federal government should be involved and the degree of involvement may have ballooned beyond what is an appropriate level."

2001: FEMA designates a major hurricane hitting New Orleans as one of the three "likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country."

December 2002: After less than two years at FEMA, Allbaugh announces he is leaving to start up a consulting firm that advises companies seeking to do business in Iraq. He is succeeded by his deputy, Michael Brown, who, like Allbaugh, has no previous experience in disaster management.

March 2003: FEMA is downgraded from a cabinet level position and folded into the Department of Homeland Security. Its mission is refocused on fighting acts of terrorism.

2003: Under its new organization chart within DHS, FEMA's preparation and planning functions are reassigned to a new Office of Preparedness and Response. FEMA will henceforth focus only on response and recovery.

Summer 2004: FEMA denies Louisiana's pre-disaster mitigation funding requests. Says Jefferson Parish flood zone manager Tom Rodrigue: "You would think we would get maximum consideration....This is what the grant program called for. We were more than qualified for it."

June 2004: The Army Corps of Engineers budget for levee construction in New Orleans is slashed. Jefferson Parish emergency management chiefs Walter Maestri comments: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland! security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay."

June 2005: Funding for the New Orleans district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is cut by a record $71.2 million. One of the hardest-hit areas is the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, which was created after the May 1995 flood to improve drainage in Jefferson, Orleans and St. Tammany parishes.

August 2005: While New Orleans is undergoing a slow motion catastrophe, Bush mugs for the cameras, cuts a cake for John McCain, plays the guitar for Mark Wills, delivers an address about V-J day, and continues with his vacation. When he finally gets around to acknowledging the scope of the unfolding disaster, he delivers only a photo op on Air Force One and a flat, defensive, laundry list speech in the Rose Garden.

A crony with no relevant experience was installed as head of FEMA. Mitigation budgets for New Orleans were slashed even though it was known to be one of the top three risks in the country. FEMA was deliberately downsized as part! of the Bush administration's conservative agenda. After DHS was created, FEMA's preparation and planning functions were taken away.

Actions have consequences. No one could predict that a hurricane the size of Katrina would hit this year, but the slow federal response when it did happen was no accident. It was the result of four years of deliberate Republican policy and budget choices. It's the Bush administration in a nutshell.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #164 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
I just heard from a military guy that there is only one way in and out. There are hundreds of armed thugs threatening to hijack ambulances trying to get patiants out of hospitals. There are armed goons waiting for helicopters to land to hijack the foods. So now they are waiting for the NGuard to hunt these guys down.

Sick.

You're lying. There were reported shots at one hellicopter and a report of one attempt on an ambulance bringing in drugs. Chaos there may be, but somehow I think that much of what is being said is exageration.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #165 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by pfflam
You're lying. There were reported shots at one hellicopter and a report of one attempt on an ambulance bringing in drugs. Chaos there may be, but somehow I think that much of what is being said is exageration.

Nope its real bad there right now.

The reports are coming out from people in the city:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

Quote:
Jesse Jackson
Dear Sir:

Respectfully, I submit that you should shut the hell up. Looting and lawlessness IS the problem. The National Guard choppers are BEING SHOT AT. The NOPD are BEING SHOT AT. You want to focus on the levee? So do they, but check this out: THEY CAN'T UNTIL THE MOB STOPS ATTACKING THE RESCUE OPERATION.

Security has become a major concern now, because the NOPD is ineffective and the looters terrorists are roaming the streets. Word is now that they're lighting buildings on fire, but I can't confirm that. Anyway, we have to run guard shifts and patrol and it limits our downtime.

It is a zoo out there though, make no mistake. It's the wild kingdom. It's Lord of the Flies. That doesn't mean there's murder on every street corner. But what it does mean is that the rule of law has collapsed, that there is no order, and that property rights cannot and are not being enforced. Anyone who is on the streets is in immediate danger of being robbed and killed. It's that bad.

This is serious.
post #166 of 288
Quote:
I think that much of what is being said is exageration.

It certainly seems like it. I find it really hard to believe that it's really that much worse than any war zone our military has operated in that we can't bring supplies in.
post #167 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by giant
It certainly seems like it. I find it really hard to believe that it's really that much worse than any war zone our military has operated in that we can't bring supplies in.

These reports wouldn't surprise me in the least, remember, after the great San Francisco earthquake in 1906, there were lines around the block at the city's whorehouses.

Stress does screwy things to people.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #168 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
These reports wouldn't surprise me in the least, remember, after the great San Francisco earthquake in 1906, there were lines around the block at the city's whorehouses.

Stress does screwy things to people.

Remember? How the hell old are you?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #169 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Remember? How the hell old are you?

HA!

Not that old -- just don't ask my kids.

post #170 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
HA!

Not that old -- just don't ask my kids.

Right!

I asked my youngest how old I looked, he said 80!

Yikes
post #171 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
These reports wouldn't surprise me in the least

I'm not questioning the reports, I'm questioning the severity. Even just this evening I've seen a ton of video demonstrating that this is no war zone. There's no excuse for them to not go in there when citizens are dying and their bodies pushed up against the wall to rot. It's completely unacceptable at this point.
post #172 of 288
I just was wondering:

Is the US entitled to any help from the UN or is that out of the question?

Will we see an effort to raise money for the US by them?

I know I'm reaching, but we are their largest financier...
post #173 of 288
Take your international political agenda and shove it. People are dying.

Then again, your first thought in the face of Katrina even before it hit land was to go to Appleinsider and start a thread using it to rant about Iran of all things.
post #174 of 288
I heard some idiot at the gym say that 'we won't ever help another country cause they aint helping us'

And I wanted to know what countries this idiot at the gym was refering to?
Liberia? Bangladesh? Sri Lanka?

So tell me Naples, where are you getting that line of thinking? Is it Rush?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #175 of 288
Quote:
I heard some idiot at the gym say that 'we won't ever help another country cause they aint helping us'

And I wanted to know what countries this idiot at the gym was refering to?
Liberia? Bangladesh? Sri Lanka?

So tell me Naples, where are you getting that line of thinking? Is it Rush?

No actually, I have been hearing everone blame the US government for not being prpared for the distruction of a whole city/region.

I started thinking about the tsunami and dug through the archives about how long it took to reach some of thiose people and remembered how on the ball the UN was. And thought, hey where are they right now?

The total silence from our friends overseas is deafening, it seems to me.
post #176 of 288
Here we are sitting in the most powerful country in the world and you are basically asking, "what is bhutan doing for us?" what the hell?

Whatever happened to you guys and your "who fucking cares about the UN?" If there was ever a time for me to say it, it's now.

Of course, the only reason you are bringing it up to push your pathetic political agenda, further insuring that you will rot in hell over your comments regarding this horrible disaster.
post #177 of 288
I've heard of many condolence wishes in our direction . . .

just think, America probably looks like a third world country . . .

anyway . .

On TV tonight the head of FEMA first said something to the effect of getting the things needed from AID agencies

Then later he was pressed by Stone Phillips if that meant that they didn't have the resources.

I now realize that his answer was a complete idiot wash-out!! he muttered about setting up acounts and registering people to put funds in their accounts!!!

That's not the resources that are needed right this minute!!!
Troops and large vehicles and food and water and medecine and clothes!!

Was his response the result of the innitial plan on the part of our government, to privatize the federal preparedness program?

Is this the kind of thing you get when different 'agencies' are communicating rather than sending in national troops?
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #178 of 288
What would happen if a dirty bomb, or worse, were detonated in a major U.S. city?

Is this the kind of response we can expect?

WTF have we been doing for 4+ years?
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #179 of 288
Aaron Brown just reported that the Astrodome is full and that buses showed up and were told to go elsewhere.

This is a clusterfuck of monumental proportions.
post #180 of 288
It looks like the UN and many other countries are offering assistance. You can read about it here.

The natural disaster that has hit the Gulf Coast is a tragedy. The response of our so called leaders is a disgrace. We should all feel ashamed for letting our country deteriorate like this.
post #181 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by trick fall
It looks like the UN and many other countries are offering assistance. You can read about it here.

The natural disaster that has hit the Gulf Coast is a tragedy. The response of our so called leaders is a disgrace. We should all feel ashamed for letting our country deteriorate like this.

Thank you for your pith

unfortunately your link doesn't work.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #182 of 288
Here we go: UN OFFERS HELP

Gee . . . what a corrupt agency that servse no purpose

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #183 of 288
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...atrina_un_dc_1

Quote:
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations on Thursday offered to help the United States provide disaster relief to the victims of Hurricane Katrina as the storm's devastation challenged the U.S. authorities' ability to cope.

While the United States is the country best prepared to deal with such a disaster, "the sheer size of this emergency makes it possible that we can supplement the American response with supplies from other countries, or with experience we have gained in other relief operations," U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan said.

I would say why did it take till thursday, but that would be being too critical of the UN, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ...ion=cnn_latest
Quote:
Castro, dressed in his trademark green military fatigues, stood with his head down for the minute of silence.
The 600-member rubber-stamp parliament then got back to business and unanimously passed a resolution attacking President Bush for massacring Iraqis and harboring extremist Cuban exiles.

Ever the philanthropist, that guy.
post #184 of 288
Quote:

I would say why did it take till thursday, but that would be being too critical of the UN, right?

Funny that you won't apply that same standard of critique to your own leaders.
post #185 of 288
Quote:
Here we go: UN OFFERS HELP

Gee . . . what a corrupt agency that servse no purpose

Don't worry. The offer goes through John Bolton, so presumably he'll throw it back into their face with a muttered curse.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #186 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
dmz, you're sounding more reasonable than usual in this thread, which makes me wonder if cracks are starting to appear in that levee in your head. Since you're stuffing that crack with a demonization of FEMA, try these on for size:
1. Who is the head of FEMA?
2. What is his professional training?
3. Who appointed him?
4. And, finally, which agency currently has primary responsibility for coordinating disaster relief like this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
What would happen if a dirty bomb, or worse, were detonated in a major U.S. city?

Is this the kind of response we can expect?

WTF have we been doing for 4+ years?

This is exactly a dry run for far worse than a dirty bomb.

I was willing to let FEMA get their crap in one sock for a day or two, but if this doesn't do a 180 in the next 24hrs., then you ALL need to to get POMs out to your representatives, get your wives, coworkers, kids, dogs on this, and raise HELL. State, local, letters to the editor, etc.

I'm not seeing much more than people getting snatched off rooftops. I understand that the the government doesn't wave a magic wand, and make everything better but this is getting a little weird. Filled the Astrodome already? how many refugees are we talking about? Where is the press? Where is any estimates or analysis of what we are up against?

Maybe I'm getting caught up in an unrealistic 'can't the government just fix it' reductionism that is all too common.

What a mess.

post #187 of 288
Really, who cares, naples? What does fucking castro of all people have anything to do with this? Only real scum would exploit this tragedy to take crappy international political potshots.
post #188 of 288
Quote:

The article I read said that Kofi Anan addressed this YESTERDAY!!

. .

Now DMZ . . . I understand how you might think that some of this is a sort of 'magic wand' syndrome . . .
But that is quickly forgotten when you look at this utter collapse, and this continued miserable lack of concerted military strength effort

It is almost more plausible that it is willful neglect due to race . . . but I won't go there because I won't believe that yet . . .

the other reason I complain is tht this is so emblematic of everything that I have been railing against for the last decade . . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #189 of 288
Nappie:

Quote:
I started thinking about the tsunami and dug through the archives about how long it took to reach some of thiose people and remembered how on the ball the UN was

Hold on, hold on; so now the UN is useful? I wonder how this fits with your paint-brush of 'UN The Useless' you have been presenting in our little museum here?
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #190 of 288
Quote:
The former head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the agency that handles the infrastructure of the nation's waterways, said the damage in New Orleans probably would have been much less extensive had flood-control efforts been fully funded over the years.

"Levees would have been higher, levees would have been bigger, there would have been other pumps put in," said Mike Parker, a former Mississippi congressman who headed the engineering agency from 2001 to 2002.

"I'm not saying it would have been totally alleviated but it would have been less than the damage that we have got now."

cut millions in spending, pay billions in cleanup & recovery.... hmm \

<sits back and waits for usual suspects to attack the expertise of the former head of the ACE, and/or the obvious partisan political motives of a former Republican congressman...>
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #191 of 288
Quote:
CNN's Chris Lawrence was clearly shaken describing what he saw: "We talked to mothers holding babies, some of these babies 3, 4, 5 months old, living in these horrible conditions ...These people are being forced to live like animals. When you look at some of these mothers your heart just breaks ... People need to see this ... what it's really like here. We saw dead bodies. People are dying at the convention center, and there's no one to come get them."

Later, Anderson Cooper was even harsher, challenging Sen. Mary Landrieu for thanking President Bush for his efforts to aid her state. "Senator, I'm sorry for interrupting," he said. "For the last four days I've been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi ... You know, I gotta tell you, there are a lot of people here who are very upset, and very angry, and very frustrated. And when they hear politicians thanking one another, it kind of cuts them them wrong way right now. Because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours and there's not enough facilities to take her up. Do you get the anger that is out here?"
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #192 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Nappie:

Hold on, hold on; so now the UN is useful? I wonder how this fits with your paint-brush of 'UN The Useless' you have been presenting in our little museum here?

I'm sure you realize that I said nothing of it's usefulness. I said they were on the ball.

Of course you will read into it anything that fits your fancy.
post #193 of 288
Quote:
The article I read said that Kofi Anan addressed this YESTERDAY!!

. .

Now DMZ . . . I understand how you might think that some of this is a sort of 'magic wand' syndrome . . .
But that is quickly forgotten when you look at this utter collapse, and this continued miserable lack of concerted military strength effort

It is almost more plausible that it is willful neglect due to race . . . but I won't go there because I won't believe that yet . . .

the other reason I complain is tht this is so emblematic of everything that I have been railing against for the last decade . . . .

Kneejerk syndrome, IMO.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...K.K0U&refer=us

Quote:
About 24,000 National Guard members will be in Louisiana and Mississippi by the end of the week to combat looting and quell gunfire that disrupted the rescue of survivors of Hurricane Katrina.
U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today at a news conference that 1,400 will go to New Orleans daily for the next three days, expanding a force of 3,000 that's trying to maintain order in a city flooded and left without power by the storm three days ago.
The Pentagon has so far sent about 7,200 active-duty forces to the region, mostly sailors in vessels that will help in relief efforts, and several hundred members of the Corps of Engineers.
The U.S. Navy said today it will send the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier based in Norfolk, Virginia, and the USS Whidbey Island docking craft to the Gulf to serve as floating staging areas for helicopters and command communications. It has a crew of about 3,350 sailors, according to a Navy fact sheet. The Whidbey Island has a crew of about 350.

This will bring to more than 11,000 the number of active- duty military personnel deployed for disaster relief.
post #194 of 288
Quote:
[B]I'm sure you realize that I said nothing of it's usefulness. I said they were on the ball.

Oh yeah. Just like when you said that 'you can be fair/balanced and biased'. It's not what it is, it's what you want it to be in a particular time in the discussion depending on what you need it to be at that particular time.

No?

Quote:
Of course you will read into it anything that fits your fancy.

You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Gene.
post #195 of 288
Quote:
Oh yeah. Just like when you said that 'you can be fair/balanced and biased'. It's not what it is, it's what you want it to be in a particular time in the discussion depending on what you need it to be at that particular time.

No?

No.

So, why is your opinion so unimpeachable. I'm sure that you feel your "take" is fair or balanced. But you're biased. Hmmm...

So are you a fair person?

I guess not.
post #196 of 288
Was that a monologue, or were you actually trying to say something?
post #197 of 288
Quote:
Was that a monologue, or were you actually trying to say something?

Nope. Nothing. Carry on.
post #198 of 288
If the offer for help from UN was delayed i guess it was because until yesterday they worked under the presumption that USA would be able to handle the situation itself.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #199 of 288
I think Anders is right. Over here in europe, people are mainly shocked that the US has not been able to handle this better themselves.

Why the US has not called for international Aid is another puzzling question. Nations struck by natural disaster are normally pretty quick to ask for help. Especially since the UN has a lot of expertise in this field.

The American Red Cross has so far not asked for foreign financial aid either, but that is because they believe they have enough funds as it is. If they should call for more money, I believe there would be little hesitation in giving. At least here in Norway.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #200 of 288
What I don´t see is what US could possible need. Its can´t be a question of funds or materials. This can´t be anything but a logistics fuck up.

During the wild fires in Portugal a couple of weeks ago the problem was mainly the lack of fire fighting planes and helicopters. A couple of countries helped out with that.

Do US need anthing like that? Boats for shallow waters? Experts in epidemic vira?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL!