or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL!

Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL! - Page 6

post #201 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
What I don´t see is what US could possible need. Its can´t be a question of funds or materials. This can´t be anything but a logistics fuck up.

During the wild fires in Portugal a couple of weeks ago the problem was mainly the lack of fire fighting planes and helicopters. A couple of countries helped out with that.

Do US need anthing like that? Boats for shallow waters? Experts in epidemic vira?

I think the main thing must be expertise in Crisis Managment. That seems to be what is lacking the most. The whole superdome project seems pretty misguided.
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #202 of 288
Speaking of aid, I just read this over at Ars:

Linkety link: NBC claimed that over 20 nations have offered support, everything from people, to equipment, to cash. No offers have been taken yet, because "the administration doesn't know what we need most." [posted 1-sept, tho'. Don't know if you guys are accepting aid now or not]

More on foreign aid: Link .

And I'm pleased to see that my own country, Sweden, is offering to send help [in swedish, unfortunately]
post #203 of 288
Just saw the UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency, Jan Egeland, on CNN trying to stress that the UN was standing by to help the US in any way possible when requested without succeeding in getting the point across.

The point being that NO requests have been officially made yet. Yet the reporter didn't seem to understand. During the tsunami aid was requested within 6 hours by the countries.

What Egeland also said was that day five, six and seven are always the worst in such disasters, and that the bottlenecks in the operations will now start to open up and help reach the victims.

He also warned that the future months in shelters will be very hard for the people there.
post #204 of 288
Clip

Fuck
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #205 of 288
Quote:
Clip

Fuck

Shit! how fucking hard can it be to fly these people out of there!?!

where are all the transportation helicopters? The US must have thousands, and they can't all be in iraq...
post #206 of 288
Just watched the whole clip... WOW. This to me seems to boil down to utter incompetence... Can't the president just order the army to evacuate that fucking convention center!?!

If I was there with my kid I would be so incredibly angry with the authorities...
post #207 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by New
I think Anders is right. Over here in europe, people are mainly shocked that the US has not been able to handle this better themselves.

Make no mistake, everyone in the US is far more shocked about it.
post #208 of 288
Its incompetance and no planning but this seems to be this administrations status quo. We should dismiss this Congress and this President for dereliction of duty to the U.S. People. We all know they dont represent us anyways then we have to get rid of lobbiest. Its the only way to clean up our mess of a Govt.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #209 of 288
You guys get on the phone, email, etc. to your representatives. Tell them to bring you the head of Homeland Security.

Do it!

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #210 of 288
DMZ is right. Bitching on a message board does nothing. We get the government our lazy uninterested asses deserve.
post #211 of 288
Scratch that -- ask that the entire department be scrapped, because it's painfully obvious that on our first 'dry run' it's not functioning.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

post #212 of 288
Well, if anyone had any lingering doubts that Bush isn't a leader, then I think it's safe to say it has been proven once and for all.
post #213 of 288
here's a less commercial clearing house

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/legbranch/legbranch.html

post #214 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by trick fall
DMZ is right. Bitching on a message board does nothing. We get the government our lazy uninterested asses deserve.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

That's right, Johnny....

Tell him what he's won...
post #215 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Ding! Ding! Ding!

That's right, Johnny....

Tell him what he's won...

The back door to Washington which is only reserved for lobbiest with big buckets of $$$. Regular folk the sign says closed.
post #216 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora
The back door to Washington which is only reserved for lobbiest with big buckets of $$$. Regular folk the sign says closed.

Pick up the phone. Make the calls. You'll feel better -- and you'll be doing your duty as a citizen. If you aren't good on the spot with other people, then write a reasonable email.

Homeland Security's Sec.'s head on a platter.

post #217 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
Pick up the phone. Make the calls. You'll feel better -- and you'll be doing your duty as a citizen. If you aren't good on the spot with other people, then write a reasonable email.

Homeland Security's Sec.'s head on a platter.

Yeah right done that, dont you love those generic letters they send out. Like your letter went into trash without being opened. Now if it was stuffed with $$$ for their next campaign then perhaps you get a signed letter back.
post #218 of 288
I would suggest that you all temper your letters and mail - that is if you want to be taken seriously.

Express your disappointment and anger in a respectful way.

Just sayin'
post #219 of 288
Da truth train

However: Isn´t some of the responsibility on the mayors shoulders? I really don´t know the division of responsibility in situations like this.
post #220 of 288
Quote:
Da truth train

However: Isn´t some of the responsibility on the mayors shoulders? I really don´t know the division of responsibility in situations like this.

Nope it's all on Bush. Bush lied. Bush's head on a plate.

Bush Bush Bush Bush.

[dean]raaaaaargh[/dean]
post #221 of 288
Quote:

Bush Bush Bush Bush.

[dean]raaaaaargh[/dean]

Ahem. I asked an honest question here.
post #222 of 288
Quote:
Da truth train

that interview is astonishing. thanks for the link
post #223 of 288
Quote:

Bush Bush Bush Bush.

[dean]raaaaaargh[/dean]

Feel better now?

Dick.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #224 of 288
Quote:
Ahem. I asked an honest question here.

Sorry. And you asked a very valid question, IMHO. All local and state officials have responsibility for this long before the federal government does.
post #225 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Feel better now?

Dick.

That's all that's been alluded to in this and other threads. Why am I a dick when I say it?

I am sure that someone will call for Bush's impeachment over this disaster. Mark my words. It will happen.

My bets are on Rangel, Boxer or Kennedy.

I say let's spend our energy on saving people now and point fingers later.
post #226 of 288
Quote:
Sorry. And you asked a very valid question, IMHO. All local and state officials have responsibility for this long before the federal government does.

If that's true, then WTF is FEMA for?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #227 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
If that's true, then WTF is FEMA for?

They are there to help the local and state governments.
post #228 of 288
Quote:
That's all that's been alluded to in this and other threads. Why am I a dick when I say it?

I am sure that someone will call for Bush's impeachment over this disaster. Mark my words. It will happen.

My bets are on Rangel, Boxer or Kennedy.

I say let's spend our energy on saving people now and point fingers later.

as someone who voted for Bush I would not find much argument against that right now. He has been terrible throughout this and just finished doing a political briefing of thank yous and congratulations while making believe he was just then learning of the affected areas.

why do you have to be so unreasonable all the time?
post #229 of 288
Quote:
They are there to help the local and state governments.

which is exactly what hasn't gotten done... which is why so many people are so incredibly pissed off right now.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #230 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Bronxite
why do you have to be so unreasonable all the time?

Hey, OperationFluffBush is in full swing. Naples is just being a loyal subject.
post #231 of 288
Quote:
Da truth train

That's good question. Why send those people to the Superdome, with several days advance warning without food?

I understand that it would day a couple of days to get a federal response, but it's now Friday, and I guess the food is starting to arrive.

It seems the local government completely failed to provide assistance. Maybe we're too hasty in condenming the Feds. I think I need to shut up for awhile.

See you guys Tuesday. And don't forget to make a donation!

post #232 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Hey, OperationFluffBush is in full swing. Naples is just being a loyal subject.

You guys are running around in circles demanding a lynching (figuratively speaking) and I am doing what I usually do, saying "calm down, let things happen" and I'm being unreasonable?

I guess I should start calling for someone's head on a platter, then I'll fit right in.

Note to self: I have to learn to be more like everyone else.
post #233 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
That's good question. Why send those people to the Superdome, with several days advance warning without food?

I understand that it would day a couple of days to get a federal response, but it's now Friday, and I guess the food is starting to arrive.

It seems the local government completely failed to provide assistance. Maybe we're too hasty in condenming the Feds. I think I need to shut up for awhile.

See you guys Tuesday. And don't forget to make a donation!

The local government is not likely to have access to food stuffs for people in shelters. The standard response, which may need to change, is to tell refugees to bring x-days food with them on the assumption that they would only be in the shelter for x-1 days. To this point, that has worked. It didn't this time, and the realization that the shit hit the fan took way tooo long.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #234 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz

Well, the local government provided shelter for the remaining people, but the shelter failed for reasons beyon their control. My understanding is that the mayor is not empowered to request federal assistance. He asks the governor, and she asks the President/FEMA.

There has clearly been a breakdown of communication somewhere or, more likely, in multiple places. The mayor has been begging for assistance, but the communications failures have been just too many and too catastrophic.

The President did what needed to be done off the bat: declare it a disaster area and get the wheels moving...but somehow, somewhere, it all broke down.

Quote:
See you guys Tuesday. And don't forget to make a donation! [/B]

Got paid today and will be donating to the Red Cross.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #235 of 288
I would say it all broke down because there isn't really anything there.

What we have seen from the Bush admin time and time again is a focus on appearances and politics and relative indifference to actually structures of accomplishing things.

If it wasn't abundantly clear from the trajectory of the Iraq debacle, it certainly should be now: our government is a PR oriented shell without the expertise, structures or will to affect actual events in the actual world.

Photo ops, you bet; fiendishly clever spin, absolutely; enforcing discipline in the House to push through a tax cut, sure.

Lay the groundwork for coordinating fast response large scale disaster mitigation and relief? Not so much.

Because that would require an underlying philosophy that, not only is the federal government is capable of doing certain things, but that it is right and appropriate that they do so.

And now we have the object lesson at hand, and maybe we can all think some more about our contempt for Washington and the meddling feds and tax cuts and states rights.

Shared destiny. Shared responsibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #236 of 288
I just realised who made the largest screw up in his job of all.

Karl Rowe.
post #237 of 288
I rarely, if ever, reply in P.O ... but.. my God! I am appalled... what the hell is going on with this administration !!? Bush seems at a complete loss of how to handle this disaster. 5 days .. FIVE DAYS and only now is any sort of relief for the people of New Orleans arriving.

I've just seen news updates showing pictures so grim, it looks like a scene from the third world. Superbowl full of starving, thirsty and dying human beings. Corpses left in the heat under blankets, young and old cowering in fear, and all at a loss to explain why nothing is being done to help them. Old people trapped in a home with no food/water/air con and corpses strewn in a room.

Child rapes, murders, lootings, shootings, no control, no help.
Pure madness, pure hell!

Shot cuts to Bush (who apparently just arrived in a "safe zone") comforting two women.. a great PR shot but by far too little too late.

All this in a country whose government can spend billions of dollars on a war, send many thousands of troops, thousands of tonnes of supplies and equipment half way across the world yet seem incapable of helping their own people in their own country

Yes, this is a natural disaster on a massive scale, but surely Bush and his cronies could, with all the manpower and money at their disposal, have reacted to it a hell of a lot quicker?
G.W.B. could have reacted a lot quicker, more positively and compassionately but chose to holiday and then bumble his way through a hastily composed speech full of sound bites and hollow promise.

Sorry, but Bush has shown just how inept he can be.

I wonder if any Americans could see the news reports we can get here in Europe from the likes of BBC, ITV, C4, Sky, Reuters etc... puts a whole other perspective on events than those shown on the likes of CNN, NBC etc.

God help those poor people in their time of great suffering, and as Bush would say, God bless America
post #238 of 288
For all the "Let's Blame Bush" adherents at AI, here's one for you.

You should probably take an Advil before reading it though.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #239 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank777
For all the "Let's Blame Bush" adherents at AI, here's one for you.

You should probably take an Advil before reading it though.

Did you even read it?
post #240 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
Did you even read it?

Apparently not.
Quote:
The Bush administration also cut flood-protection budgets. Earlier this year the Corps of Engineers issued a note warning that it was not getting funding needed to complete a project designed to protect residents between Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River levee from a category three hurricane. Insufficient funding from Washington "will prevent the Corps from addressing these pressing needs," including shoring up levees around New Orleans.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL!