or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL!

Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL! - Page 2

post #41 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by FormerLurker
If that's so obviously true, then you should have no problem proving me wrong by quoting your own previous posts.

Like I said previously, you are the only one here who would disagree with my original assertion about the skew of your POV, and I'm not going to make the futile attempt to prove to you that you are the one that's full of it.

Then your assertions are baseless. If you say I'm a "blind supporter" of corporate lackies, one would expect at least one example. You say there are thousands of quotes to prove it.

So, let's see one. According to you, about two out of three should prove you right.

Otherwise you're full of it. Like I said.
post #42 of 288
Um, one more time....

YOU are the only one here that needs that proved to them.
YOU would never admit to being convinced of that, even if I posted two thousand quotes of you cheerleading for the corporate lackeys.

It's not going to happen. Do you have that much trouble understanding plain English?

Why do you refuse to prove ME wrong? You've got over 3000 posts to quote, so go ahead and shut me up.

You've deservedly been called much, much worse than a blind supporter of corporate lackeys in this thread - any desire to try to disprove any of those characterizations?

Such attempts wouldn't matter as you would only be trying to convince *yourself* that you're not everything that you've been called here. I'd love to speak as freely as Fellowship, but I'm not looking to get banned tonight.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #43 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
**fumbles through the four Gospels, can't find "self rightious full of shit dirt bag" -- shakes head**

sounds about like how Jesus would describe the moneychangers, in today's vocab
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #44 of 288
On the day that New Orleans died, the day when a city of half a million Americans disappeared from the map, with untold thousands disappearing with it...

Singing... "So bye-bye Miss Kerry-voting Pie, drove my helli to Coronado 'cuz the weather there's fly. All the Good Ol' Boys made it out high and dry. The day New Orleans died..."

Edit: What a fuckup. What a fucking fuckup. While he plays country music star, efforts to close the levee breach collapse for lack of coordination AND LEADERSHIP. How many people are dying (yet again) for this fucking fuckup?
post #45 of 288
Really, I can't understand this. The magnitude of the destruction is absolutely staggering, beyond anything most Americans have ever experienced. We may be looking at the total loss of a major American city. The cost in lives, the damage to the environment and economy seem almost incalculable. The effects will be felt for years, if not decades, to come.

And Bush today travels today to give his stock pitch for "staying the course" in Iraq?

WTF? It would be like delivering a Social Security stump speech the day after 9/11.

I'm sorry, I realize this is an unfolding tragedy and it's not a time to score political points, but this seems completely insane to me. This is the worst natural disaster on this continent in our life time, if not our parent's and children's life times.

Where are the calls for national unity, the full mobilization of every available resource, the complete focus and resolve to see this through?

Couldn't he at least pretend to be concerned?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #46 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Towel
On the day that New Orleans died, the day when a city of half a million Americans disappeared from the map, with untold thousands disappearing with it...

Singing... "So bye-bye Miss Kerry-voting Pie, drove my helli to Coronado 'cuz the weather there's fly. All the Good Ol' Boys made it out high and dry. The day New Orleans died..."

Edit: What a fuckup. What a fucking fuckup. While he plays country music star, efforts to close the levee breach collapse for lack of coordination AND LEADERSHIP. How many people are dying (yet again) for this fucking fuckup?

Nero fiddling...
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #47 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Really, I can't understand this. The magnitude of the destruction is absolutely staggering, beyond anything most Americans have ever experienced. We may be looking at the total loss of a major American city. The cost in lives, the damage to the environment and economy seem almost incalculable. The effects will be felt for years, if not decades, to come.

And Bush today travels today to give his stock pitch for "staying the course" in Iraq?

WTF? It would be like delivering a Social Security stump speech the day after 9/11.

I'm sorry, I realize this is an unfolding tragedy and it's not a time to score political points, but this seems completely insane to me. This is the worst natural disaster on this continent in our life time, if not our parent's and children's life times.

Where are the calls for national unity, the full mobilization of every available resource, the complete focus and resolve to see this through?

Couldn't he at least pretend to be concerned?

Surely you're not that blind. You see, I remember GWB declaring a state of emergency in order to gather resources in and around the possible effevted areas BEFORE this hurricane happened. It was a smart preemptive move that made this situation better BEFORE it started. That move may have saved thousands of lives and will prove to be a big factor in this mess.

He is meeting with all the parish presidents and governers this very morning to further provide as much federal assistance as possible.

Someone in this thread (i think it was formerlurker) said something about me affending people. Well, that's easy to do when there are people just looking for something to be offended about, as your post overwhelmingly proves.

I've never seen so many people in one place incapable of or unwilling to set aside a political campaign slogan - "Bush Lied".

I am beginning to have much pity on you that have very little to add to the overall debate past that. I think it might be considered a mental disorder, by some measures.

Sad.
post #48 of 288
Well I think the american people are starting realize they've had enough of this song and dance.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9137364/
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #49 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I guess I was the only one who kept seeing the president giving speeches from one end of the country to the other -- on his "vacation"?

???

Oh yeah - right after his popularity plummeted.

And that's another thing, the last week, he could have helped co-ordinated rescue efforts, instead of a lazy ass more worried with the Iraq war affecting his popularity.
post #50 of 288
Quote:
sounds about like how Jesus would describe the moneychangers, in today's vocab

One of those silly boys that hung out with him thought that blessings and cursings coming out of the same mouth was 'a bad thing'. James must have missed His extensive use of scatology -- that silly, silly, boy.

Also, this thread wins the 'most contrived excuse to rip Bush' award -- to the point of getting downright surreal.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #51 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
One of those silly boys that hung out with him thought that blessings and cursings coming out of the same mouth was 'a bad thing'. James must have missed His extensive use of scatology -- that silly, silly, boy.

Also, this thread wins the 'most contrived excuse to rip Bush' award -- to the point of getting downright surreal.

I didn't know that it was time of year again. I suppose I'm too late to start that "Hurricane caused by irresponsible environmental policies of the Shrub" topic?

Damn.
post #52 of 288
I'm waiting for the NYT headline: "Halliburton Linked to Increased Sunspot Activity."

post #53 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I'm waiting for the NYT headline: "Halliburton Linked to Increased Sunspot Activity."

"Cheney approves ozone depleting war experiments"

Sammi Jo any news on that? Sego?
post #54 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Source

From the Post article:

Quote:
At the ranch, White House officials say, Bush continues to receive daily national security briefings, sign documents, hold teleconferences with aides and military commanders, and even meet with foreign leaders. And from the president's point of view, the long Texas stints are the best way to clear his mind and reconnect with everyday America.

I say quit your whining
post #55 of 288
Reconnect with "Everyday" America? What fucking horse shit. He's at a 100+ acre ranch - it's not like he does his own grocery shopping or anything.
post #56 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Well said Fellows.

That's the most dangerous kind out there. I'm sorry for breaking the rules and posting about someone's character (or lack thereof), but saying that New Orleans deserves this because it was built in the wrong place... is just.. I don't know, less than good.

I don't think he said anyone deserved it. Stop putting words in peoples mouths to make your point. It is a fact of life that living in naturally dangerious places is, well, dangerous. If I live in SoCal and the big one hits, well, it's not my fault, but it was a risk involved in living there and Bush shouldn't be blamed. New Orleans is a high risk area, when it comes to storms. The fact that a Cat5 storm came in and caused damage is horrible, but hardly preventable, no matter how much money you throw at it.

It is pretty pathetic, but if this storm had hit when the Dems were in power, the Right would be blaming them for the deaths and damage and the Left would rightly be saying that it was an act of nature. But, Bush is in, so the positions reverse.

There are many on the left that scream and shout about the federal insurance that continually re-builds the million dollar houses on the coasts when they are damaged in storms.

The levees were an artifical means of holding back nature...how successful has man ever been at this, long term?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #57 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
If I live in SoCal and the big one hits, well, it's not my fault, but it was a risk involved in living there and Bush shouldn't be blamed.

No one is blaming Bush for the Hurricane, he is being blamed for not taking a Leadership role earlier, in helping to prepare for the Hurricane, and being slow to respond to emergency efforts.

He just isn't a leader, same slack ass approach he took to 9/11.
post #58 of 288
While we joke, the foundation is already being laid...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert...e-_b_6396.html

Quote:
As Hurricane Katrina dismantles Mississippis Gulf Coast, its worth recalling the central role that Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour played in derailing the Kyoto Protocol and kiboshing President Bushs iron-clad campaign promise to regulate CO2.

In March of 2001, just two days after EPA Administrator Christie Todd Whitmans strong statement affirming Bushs CO2 promise former RNC Chief Barbour responded with an urgent memo to the White House.

Barbour, who had served as RNC Chair and Bush campaign strategist, was now representing the presidents major donors from the fossil fuel industry who had enlisted him to map a Bush energy policy that wouldbe friendly to their interests. His credentials ensured the new administrations attention.

The left is becoming a Saturday Night Live skit.

post #59 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
No one is blaming Bush for the Hurricane, he is being blamed for not taking a Leadership role earlier, in helping to prepare for the Hurricane, and being slow to respond to emergency efforts.

He just isn't a leader, same slack ass approach he took to 9/11.

You're just being silly to make fun of yourself, right?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167240,00.html

Let me quote for you:

Quote:
Bush, vacationing at his ranch, was being regularly updated about the storm, which is expected to hit land early Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency continue to coordinate with state authorities in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama, and have prepositioned supplies in areas expected to be affected, he said.

The president's emergency declaration authorizes the FEMA to coordinate all disaster relief efforts and to provide appropriate assistance in a number of Louisiana parishes, or counties.

Authorities told residents of low-lying coastal communities to head for higher ground. The storm was expected to strengthen as it crosses the Gulf of Mexico and could become a Category 4 hurricane with wind of at least 131 mph.

Here's one from the day before, and from a different source. In case you are offended by Fox:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/12494800.htm

Quote:
CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on Saturday because of the approach of Hurricane Katrina and his spokesman urged residents along the coast to heed authorities' advice to evacuate.

Bush, vacationing at his ranch, was being regularly updated about the storm, which is expected to hit land early Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency continue to coordinate with state authorities in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama, and have prepositioned supplies in areas expected to be affected, he said.

Open your eyes.
post #60 of 288
cause, ya know, declaring an emergency is hard - it's hard, hard work
good thing he's such a hard worker
I bet he even had to sign his name a couple of times!!!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #61 of 288
LOL! NaplesX, you are so fucking gullible!
post #62 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
Reconnect with "Everyday" America? What fucking horse shit. He's at a 100+ acre ranch - it's not like he does his own grocery shopping or anything.

I think he ment to reconnect with Corporate America after time connecting with Political America. Meanwhile Bin Laden is still running around but we do have Saddam after 300 billion $$$. I wonder if he will ever discover our border problems? or the Veto Pen?
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #63 of 288
Ugh. This thread started out bad and just got worse. Somebody give it an abortion.
post #64 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Ugh. This thread started out bad and just got worse. Somebody give it an abortion.

As Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and the religious Right claimed that "gays and abortionists" were responsible for 9-11 and the Northridge Earthquake, when can see a similar charge from these lunatics that Muslims militants were responsible for Hurricane Katrina?

Here endeth the thread, perhaps?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #65 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Sorel
I say quit your whining

Hey man, you wanted evidence that he has spent more time on vacation than any other President in history, AND I PROVIDED ONE VERY CREDIBLE SOURCE.

I say, you quit finding some mashed-up potato-juice-sentence in the entire article that tells how he still gets security brefings just like, oh I don't know, even his Dad or Bill Clinton! Heck, even Daddy Yankee could get security briefings in his bed, but that doesn't mean that he's working. Or that he's doing the job he's paid to do.

But I guess I'm whining and you're just being a patriot. Of course. Of course.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #66 of 288
db - delete this please mods.
post #67 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Tulkas
I don't think he said anyone deserved it. Stop putting words in peoples mouths to make your point.

Ever heard of the word, implied?
post #68 of 288
The President surveys the damage.

Moe has left the building
Moe has left the building
post #69 of 288
here you go... Bush's moneysucking war is DIRECTLY responsible for diverting funds from the NOLA-area Levees...

Quote:
It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us.
-- Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana;
New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 8, 2004.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #70 of 288
More info:

Quote:
New Orleans had long known it was highly vulnerable to flooding and a direct hit from a hurricane. In fact, the federal government has been working with state and local officials in the region since the late 1960s on major hurricane and flood relief efforts. When flooding from a massive rainstorm in May 1995 killed six people, Congress authorized the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, or SELA.

Over the next 10 years, the Army Corps of Engineers, tasked with carrying out SELA, spent $430 million on shoring up levees and building pumping stations, with $50 million in local aid. But at least $250 million in crucial projects remained, even as hurricane activity in the Atlantic Basin increased dramatically and the levees surrounding New Orleans continued to subside.

Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars. (Much of the research here is from Nexis, which is why some articles aren't linked.)

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to this Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness:
The $750 million Lake Pontchartrain and Vicinity Hurricane Protection project is another major Corps project, which remains about 20% incomplete due to lack of funds, said Al Naomi, project manager. That project consists of building up levees and protection for pumping stations on the east bank of the Mississippi River in Orleans, St. Bernard, St. Charles and Jefferson parishes.

The Lake Pontchartrain project is slated to receive $3.9 million in the president's 2005 budget. Naomi said about $20 million is needed. "The longer we wait without funding, the more we sink," he said. "I've got at least six levee construction contracts that need to be done to raise the levee protection back to where it should be (because of settling). Right now I owe my contractors about $5 million. And we're going to have to pay them interest."
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #71 of 288
So you think that 200 or whatever miles of levees could have been repaired/upgraded in time for this event?
post #72 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas
The President surveys the damage.

Good job, Mr. President. Care to come down closer to the ground where the smell of death permeates the air? Oh, don't want to pay the dry cleaning bill... Fair enough.
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #73 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
So you think that 200 or whatever miles of levees could have been repaired/upgraded in time for this event?

If their budget hadn't been slashed beginning in 2003, maybe. . . probably. Can you prove that it would not have?

But, with the budget slashed by Bush?
Absolutely, positively, NOT.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #74 of 288
Quote:
If their budget hadn't been slashed beginning in 2003, maybe. . . probably. Can you prove that it would not have?

But, with the budget slashed by Bush?
Absolutely, positively, NOT.

OK, since you're so absolutely positive and knowledgeable about NOLA construction.
post #75 of 288
Quote:
OK, since you're so absolutely positive and knowledgeable about NOLA construction.

I'm absolutely positive that I'm much more knowledgeable about NOLA construction than YOU are. I *lived* there for 4 years in the mid-80's.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #76 of 288
Quote:

You are? I'd refrain from the use of sarcastic smilies, when you're in an argument defending a side that you have no particular expertise in. Perhaps I'm wrong and Naples, Florida, is the epicentre of flood-control planning for NOLA and you've been on call since this weekend.

Wouldn't you think it's fair to say that if the funding was not cut for levee construction (and other flood control measures) that it's likely that damages would be less than they are now?
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #77 of 288
New Orleans apparently has bigger things to worry about than levees.

post #78 of 288
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
New Orleans apparently has bigger things to worry about than levees.

WTF is the point of posting an article from 2001 about the Saints pro football team and talk of a new stadium?

Anything to try to make the people of NOLA look bad, huh, YOU STUPID ASSHOLE?

There are a few choice people on this board that need to be airlifted into the middle of the 9th Ward and left there to fend for themselves.

And if I get banned for defending the people of NOLA from unwarranted (though completely brain-dead) attacks, then I will wear it as a badge of honor.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #79 of 288
Quote:
People can live wherever they want, I just don't think that everyone else should bail them out and pay to rebuild because they chose unwisely.

Coastal hurricane, low lying flood, and earthquake prone areas should be build at your own risk.

Quote:
I say Bush made the right decision and should further cut off Federal funding for that city. If they can't keep the waters out then the waters should win, as they are doing now.

How long should the rest of America pay for that mistake?

Quote:
Would they be suffering if NO was just a delta as it should be?

Not only are these comments absolutely ridiculous, outrageous and evidence of a severe defect, but they are very, very strange in light of your newest thread
post #80 of 288
Quote:
WTF is the point of posting an article from 2001 about the Saints pro football team and talk of a new stadium?

Anything to try to make the people of NOLA look bad, huh, YOU STUPID ASSHOLE?

There are a few choice people on this board that need to be airlifted into the middle of the 9th Ward and left there to fend for themselves.

And if I get banned for defending the people of NOLA from unwarranted (though completely brain-dead) attacks, then I will wear it as a badge of honor.

Oh, you poor thing. Telling us New Orleans was desperate for Federal monies for levees but you ignore the reality that a 135 million dollar stadium -- sits next to an inadequate levee?

I watched King county demolish the Kingdome, and build two stadiums side-by-side within three years, while the 1950's era school across the street got a nifty renovation, and was put back into service. We have time and money for the things that "matter." Get your facts straight, either New Orleans was clamoring and scrounging every last dime for their problem or it was business as usual.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Bush cuts his vacation SHORT! LOL!