or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Madonna, Little Richard to star in Motorola ROKR campaign
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Madonna, Little Richard to star in Motorola ROKR campaign

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Motorola has recruited ten music industry stars for a television ad to promote its forthcoming ROKR iTunes phones, according to an online report.

The much-anticipated mobile handsets will allow users to transfer and listen to music from Apples iTunes music store through an embedded version of the iTunes jukebox software on compatible Motorolas phones.

Filming for the television commercial was completed today at Shepperton Studios, just outside London. It features pop stars from every relevant generation and genre, according to Madonna fan site Madonnalicious.

The cast includes industry veterans Madonna, Little Richard, and Bootsy Collins, as well as pop punk rockers Sum 41, R&B diva Mya, king of crunk Lil' Jon, pop sensation The Pussycat Dolls, The White Stripes duo, and Billie Joe from Green Day. Through impersonators, the ad also features the likeness of the late Beethoven, Jimi Hendrix and Biggie Smalls.

In its report, the Madonnalicious website provided a brief synopsis of the commercial, which opens in a Middle Eastern village and begins with a subtitled phone conversation between a young man and his girlfriend. Madonna walks up to the phone booth where the teenager is talking and kisses the young man, then asks, "Who's that girl?" His girlfriend is then heard screaming through the receive, followed by an instrumental version of Madonna's new single, 'Hung Up.'

At this point, other characters are introduced and squeezed into the phone booth. First "Beethoven" and "Hendrix" join Madonna and the teenager in the booth. They are soon followed by other stars who arrive and "pack into the booth with various difficulties," the report explains.

Just when it's evident that no one else can fit inside the phone booth, "Biggie Smalls" appears. The commercial reportedly cuts to Madonna's face, now pressed against the glass, as she yells "Biggie....Noooo!"
post #2 of 35
Why does the word "stupid" come to mind?
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
Reply
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
Reply
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by superted
Why does the word "stupid" come to mind?

I think it would be better to wait for the advert before criticizing it. It may sound corny on paper, but might actually turn out good. If not, then bash it all you want.
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Reply
Never Doubt Apple.
---------------------------

"Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice." -Steve Jobs
Reply
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by superted
Why does the word "stupid" come to mind?

I'm thinking more of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
post #5 of 35
Ummmm, Madonna?

The same Madonna who does not allow her music on the iTms?

Will this change too on September 7th?
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bbbobbb
Ummmm, Madonna?

The same Madonna who does not allow her music on the iTms?

Will this change too on September 7th?

If it was Apple rolling the dough for the commercial it would seem to be a given that Madonna would be on iTunes. If it's just Mot's dough though I don't know. (sorry, I couldnt help myself - cheese is in the air)
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bbbobbb
The same Madonna who does not allow her music on the iTms?

The same Madonna that just fell off a horse and broke her hand and a few ribs? Yeah, let's press her against the glass of a phone booth.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #8 of 35
my my....Madonna iPod will be announced!!!

the wheel will be in skin color and button will be in nipple color.
post #9 of 35
Both the ad and the ROKR name sound obnoxious to me--but the message is effective:

Music on other phones is like cramming musicians into a tiny phone booth. But music on the ROKR is like cramming musicians into a medium-sized walk-in closet.
post #10 of 35
They should have Al Roker promote the ROKR phone!
post #11 of 35
Biggie Smalls? Well, that's tasteless.

I have to say, this sounds fishy to me.
post #12 of 35
There is so much hype surrounding this presentation you would think Mot was introducing cold fusion and not an update to the GUI of the music player interface of their telephones.

If all this is right what Mot is doing compares to if Apple had spend three years advertising money on the Flower Power.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
If it was Apple rolling the dough for the commercial it would seem to be a given that Madonna would be on iTunes. If it's just Mot's dough though I don't know. (sorry, I couldnt help myself - cheese is in the air)

Never assume. Apple used Polyphonic Spree in their previous TV campaign and at the time did not offer the song on iTMS.
post #14 of 35
there's a real big difference between putting people in commecials that have been dead for hundreds of years or even just a few decades and putting in those who have been dead for less than 10 years.

i could see putting the likeness of biggie smalls in this commecrial as being offensive to a lot of people, and i don't see how it would be helpful to apple, motorola, itunes, or really anyone, including the late biggie smalls.
post #15 of 35
The Apple commercial mentioned elsewhere sounds much better. Everyday people walking down the street talking on their phones while their shadows dance to the beat. Subtle and clever. It clearly shows the duality of the product and it flows well with their previous commercials.

The original article over at Madonnalicious talks about impersonators for Hendrix and Beethoven but then goes on to talk about current artists squeezing into the phone booth ending with Biggie Smalls. It does not actually mention a Biggie Smalls impersonator anywhere. It sounds to me like the original source didn't know that he was dead. It sounds bogus or at least I hope it is though I wouldn't put it past Motorola.

It would be really odd if not distasteful to have someone impersonating a rapper that was murdered not that long ago, especially in such an inane setting. If it's true his ghost will haunt those in charge of his estate for allowing this.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by syklee26
my my....Madonna iPod will be announced!!!

the wheel will be in skin color and button will be in nipple color.

Its already available:
http://www.screenpower.org/ipod.html
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by sharp_spot
Never assume. Apple used Polyphonic Spree in their previous TV campaign and at the time did not offer the song on iTMS.

That was a VW-produced ad for the Beetle "Pods Unite", I believe, not an Apple one.
post #18 of 35
"Apple....Noooo!"
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Yohe
"Apple....Noooo!"

You mean "Motorola.... Noooo!" -- the ROKR is not an Apple product, so its ad campaign is likely not from Apple either.
post #20 of 35
Apple should be ashamed to have their name and class-act reputation attached to this truly stupid and seedy ad. MOT should really have consulted with them and their agency, Chiat-Day, I believe -- who did the really great iPod "dancing silhouette" commercials, and come up with something appropriate and memorable. A shame, and I hope this is a bogus rumor.
post #21 of 35
Jeesh. Stop bitching about the ad.....it has not even been shown.
post #22 of 35
Sory, I didn't realize there was a rule in here about not expressing your opinion.
post #23 of 35
You can express your opinion all you want here, but have some common sense! Nothing has been presented to prove that this upcoming "ad" is anything more than a rumor-monger's wet dream. I personally think this shove-everyone-into-a-phone-booth concept is kinda sketchy and unlikely.

I guess we'll see when the phone is released.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by rmitch
Apple should be ashamed to have their name and class-act reputation attached to this truly stupid and seedy ad. MOT should really have consulted with them and their agency, Chiat-Day, I believe -- who did the really great iPod "dancing silhouette" commercials, and come up with something appropriate and memorable. A shame, and I hope this is a bogus rumor.

Getting a little carried away?
post #25 of 35
See my reply to Cosmonut.
post #26 of 35
where's the new apple Switch ads? oh, i remember, they wasted several thousand dollars on doing it halfway through and then saying, nah, fuck it, whatevs.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
where's the new apple Switch ads? oh, i remember, they wasted several thousand dollars on doing it halfway through and then saying, nah, fuck it, whatevs.

You are absolutely right! There hasn't been a SINGLE MacMini ad produced, either print or TV, and the that was supposed to be the engine for the Switch Strategy. And to blow such an opportunity was incredible -- and made me question whether Steve is all the genius that he's cracked up to be.

He is a genius, I think, at innovation and industrial design, but he couldn't market his way out of a paper bag without the help of really smart ad people like the ones at Chiat/Day that put the truly remarkable iPod campaign together. You know they had to be chomping at the bit to get their hands around a fantastic MacMini -- Switch campaign .... and it never materialized. This was a truly stupid blunder ... almost as big as not patenting things when they should have been and stepping all over other patents that already existed. Bummer!
post #28 of 35
Apple may have felt they learned a lesson from the iMac G5 ads. Remember they pushed the whole "From the makers of the iPod" thing? Yeah, the iMacs are FLYING off the shelves!

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #29 of 35
All Madonna albums are NOW on itunes music store!!!!!!

The sign Madonna is really in the promotion for the phone...
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Apple may have felt they learned a lesson from the iMac G5 ads. Remember they pushed the whole "From the makers of the iPod" thing? Yeah, the iMacs are FLYING off the shelves!


Uh...last I checked, Apple's selling a lot of computers and making a good profit. They're at the top of their game right now.
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by OrbitPink
Uh...last I checked, Apple's selling a lot of computers and making a good profit. They're at the top of their game right now.

I should clarify my statement: iMac G5's specifically aren't flying off the shelves. Yes, they're doing better because of the "halo effect" (which, by the way is a stupid term), but the ad campaign for the iMac G5 kind of flopped like every other campaign Apple's done for its Macs.

Apple gets better publicity and exposure through the media and the "halo effect" than any advertising they've ever put out (except for the 1984 ad).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #32 of 35
Well, it's real. I just saw the commercial on TV. It was bad enough on paper but it's actually much worse in application.

It's just like reported except the phone booth is in the middle of the desert with people coming out of tents and riding up on camels. I'm not kidding. The Hendrix and Biggie Smalls impersonators are really bad. Hendrix looks like that guy from that 90's band Dee-Lite. Anyone remember them? There was a guy who wore a big hat and funky looking sunglasses. Never mind. Biggie Smalls is shown only from behind and it still doesn't look like him. He's kind of far away from the booth when Madonna says "Biggie No!" so you're like, what the hell is her problem?

It's a very short commercial so everything happens so fast you don't have a chance to digest it. I don't know how else to explain it. The premise is simple: cramming artists into a phone booth eludes to cramming songs into the phone. It's so poorly implemented however, that you are left wondering what the hell is going on. I only remember Iggy Pop's face smashed up against the glass. Shudder. If I didn't know ahead of time I wouldn't know what they were selling.

The Cingular commercial aired right after it and it was like night and day. It was much more like an Apple commercial with the person walking down the street while their shadow or reflection danced to the beat.

No big deal but I though I would report on it as it shows the difference in ad agencies I guess. A bad idea gone horribly wrong.

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply

     197619842014  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Reply
post #33 of 35
Wow. Stepping into PsychedelicInsider here...

Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
...It's just like reported except the phone booth is in the middle of dessert with people coming out of tents and riding up on camels.

F-F-Funky

Quote:
Originally posted by 1984 I'm not kidding. The Hendrix and Biggie Smalls impersonators are really bad. Hendrix looks like that guy from that 90's band Dee-Lite. Anyone remember them? There was a guy who wore a big hat and funky looking sunglasses.

How could I forget. Ten years ago they were sharing their hash at a concert here. Grove was in the house that day for sure...

Well a crap product. Why should the commercial be any different? You have the ad companies you deserve...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
Well, it's real. I just saw the commercial on TV. It was bad enough on paper but it's actually much worse in application.

It's just like reported except the phone booth is in the middle of the desert with people coming out of tents and riding up on camels. I'm not kidding. The Hendrix and Biggie Smalls impersonators are really bad. Hendrix looks like that guy from that 90's band Dee-Lite. Anyone remember them? There was a guy who wore a big hat and funky looking sunglasses. Never mind. Biggie Smalls is shown only from behind and it still doesn't look like him. He's kind of far away from the booth when Madonna says "Biggie No!" so you're like, what the hell is her problem?

It's a very short commercial so everything happens so fast you don't have a chance to digest it. I don't know how else to explain it. The premise is simple: cramming artists into a phone booth eludes to cramming songs into the phone. It's so poorly implemented however, that you are left wondering what the hell is going on. I only remember Iggy Pop's face smashed up against the glass. Shudder. If I didn't know ahead of time I wouldn't know what they were selling.

The Cingular commercial aired right after it and it was like night and day. It was much more like an Apple commercial with the person walking down the street while their shadow or reflection danced to the beat.

No big deal but I though I would report on it as it shows the difference in ad agencies I guess. A bad idea gone horribly wrong.


Sounds even worse than what I had imagined from the rumor of the ad. I hope the Apple name wasn't too prominent in this piece of crap.
post #35 of 35
Haha. Bert from the used is in the background on the camel. That is the only good thing about this commercial. And you can barely see him anyhow. But he's still there.
guest account
Reply
guest account
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Madonna, Little Richard to star in Motorola ROKR campaign