or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Appleinsider makes a real difference for victims.

Appleinsider makes a real difference for victims.

post #1 of 12
CosmoNut posted some thoughts that made me realize that we are all spending entirely too much time trying to find fault or assign blame during this time of crisis.

So....

I thought about what most of the people in the effected areas are going to need and I realized that we here at AI have a huge base of smart people and a very effective communication network. I mean anytime Steve Jobs winks or George Bush farts the wrong way we are on top of it! We can use our collective tendancy to gather information to help those that need info.

1. All those displaced are going to need a place to stay - shelters are fine in the short term. Most will want to relocate and work until they can return - possibly years.

2. Most need information - about family, friends, reletives, job oportunities, places to live - the list is extensive.

3. They will need support and a place to go to to just vent and talk.

I think that we here at AI can help with all of these things, if only by providing communication and support. I really feel that we can do way more than just that.

I would like to think that we can all unite to help those who have been dealt this serious blow to their way of life. If any of you have ideas about how we can accomplish that, this is the place.

Let's put our heads together, folks.
post #2 of 12
I have weacceptit.com if anyone can come up with an idea...
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #3 of 12
post #4 of 12
PETS

Rok lost some pets to Katrina and suggested donating to these agencies to help with pets and pet relayed stuff during this crisis. Don't forget the pets.

ASPCA
Noah's Wish

Post more if you know of any,
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by NaplesX
Rok lost some pets to Katrina and suggested donating to these agencies to help with pets and pet relayed stuff during this crisis. Don't forget the pets.

ASPCA
Noah's Wish

actually, we didn't lose our pets in the storm. we're just very distraught at the stories of those who have. i just thought i should clarify there. if we had needed to leave our pets behind, i'd guess my wife would be inconsolable right about now.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
actually, we didn't lose our pets in the storm. we're just very distraught at the stories of those who have. i just thought i should clarify there. if we had needed to leave our pets behind, i'd guess my wife would be inconsolable right about now.

Right, I must have misread your post.
post #7 of 12
by the way, if you happen to know anyone in the region, you can remotely buy a lowe's gift card at a location for someone else to pick up. a friend of mine in ohio and his friends pooled money together to help me and my wife buy repair supplies for our house. we plan to use it both for ourselves and others on our street who suffered damage.

post #8 of 12
GIFT CERIFICATES - Online Purchasing

As suggested by rok (Great Idea). Here are some retailers that offer online gift certs: I think most will mail them or let the person pick them up.

Tools and Building Supplies

Lowe's

Misc. Supplies

K-Mart
Wal-Mart

Money/Credit Cards

Visa
Discover

Please add more if you know of any.
post #9 of 12
I donated money to the American Red Cross. They always score very high on measures of charitable organizations. My money will not wasted.
post #10 of 12
MAKE DONATIONS

These are places that allow you to donate online. The procedes will go to the victims of Katrina:

Network For Good - Has links to tons of organizations involved in the effort.

Baton Rouge Area Foundation A foundation in Baton Rouge.

More to be added...
post #11 of 12
Since there is not a terrible lot I can do personally (living in good old Germany), I just donated 200 EUR to the German Red Cross earmarked for Katrina Disaster Relief.

Our governments might not exactly love each other right now, but we'll never forget who came to stop the Hitlerites back in '45.
post #12 of 12
Woah woah woah!!!

NalesX and PBook12 banned??? What the heck happened??
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Appleinsider makes a real difference for victims.