or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The definitive statement: failure of Leadership

The definitive statement: failure of Leadership  

post #1 of 278
Here, watch the entire video:

This should be a sticky and kept here for everyone to see:

WHY AND HOW THE LEADERSHIP HAS FAILED AND NEEDS TO BE CHANGED
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #2 of 278
Man, that's heavy.
post #3 of 278
Jesus.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #4 of 278
What is Jefferson Parish ?

BTW, it seems that there will be a big contreversy about the management of this disaster in the next coming months. Right now, the time is at help, and US people are always close in time of troubles.
post #5 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc

There are 6 incorporated communities in Jefferson Parish:
Grand Isle, Gretna, Harahan, Jean Lafitte, Kenner and Westweg.
More info
post #6 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc

BTW, it seems that there will be a big contreversy about the management of this disaster in the next coming months. Right now, the time is at help, and US people are always close in time of troubles.

Here's an interactive map. Jefferson Parish is just to the West of Orleans Parish/New Orleans. You need to imagine that the area just next to the river (the French Quarter) is high ground and the area in between it and Lake Ponchartrain slopes downward below sea level. This might help as well.

What is happening, Powerdoc, is a catastrophic failure of leadership on a number of levels, and I will be stunned if the death toll doesn't reach into the tens of thousands.

Edit: I hadn't realized JP roped around like that.
post #7 of 278
Thanks for the input, I am glad to see, that in this sea of desolation named New Orleans, that the town is not entirely destroyed. My wife visited it, once, and we wanted to go there in the next coming years.

I can't believe that in USA the management of this catastrophe is such a failure. I expected to see thousands of helicopters, rescuing people, whole divisions of the army ...
I am really suprised. Let's expect, that thing will go better right now. It's not the time to give up.

My best wishes are with you
post #8 of 278
This video must be watched . . . keep it up here!!
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #9 of 278
Fuck.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #10 of 278
Holy shit that was tough to watch. When the time is right there will be investigations into how our government messed up so bad.
post #11 of 278
The Bush administration's indifference to governance (as opposed to politics) has allowed thousands to die who could have been saved.

I say this will full knowledge that there are still people needing rescue, that thousands if not tens of thousands of bodies still lie undiscovered, that the suffering of those that have escaped will continue for years and that the destruction of a great American city is a calamity that we can barely begin to imagine.

But it needs to be said, starting now, and for as long as it takes, because the Bush spin machine has already started its disinformation campaign, and they certainly won't wait till the wounds are healed to start rewriting history.

Clearly, the idea is to blame it on the locals. There have already been planted stories by "anonymous white house officials" claiming that Governor Blanco never got around to declaring a state of emergency, hampering federal involvement. She declared a state of emergency on August 26, when it was clear that Katrina was going to be big.

They are claiming that federal involvement in a disaster is some kind of elaborate, delicate legal dance wherein all the tees have to be crossed or they are powerless to act. The government's own strategy papers make it clear that the Department of Homeland Security and FEMA are tasked with providing command and control, as well as material aid and personnel in the event of a large scale disaster.

There is, still, an aircraft carrier, the USS Bataan, docked off shore, and which has been there since Katrina made landfall. They have helicopters, food, water, hospital beds and doctors. They are still waiting to be asked to help. This is NorthCom Lt. Commander Sean Kelly explaining that the military was ready, but the call never came from the commander-in-chief:

Quote:
"Northcom started planning before the storm even hit. We were ready when it hit Florida, because, as you remember, it hit the bottom part of Florida, and then we were planning once it was pointed towards the Gulf Coast.
"So, what we did, we activated what we call 'defense coordinating officers' to work with the states to say, 'OK, what do you think you will need?' And we set up staging bases that could be started. We had the USS Bataan sailing almost behind the hurricane so once the hurricane made landfall, its search and rescue helicopters could be available almost immediately So, we had things ready. The only caveat is: we have to wait until the president authorizes us to do so. The laws of the United States say that the military can't just act in this fashion; we have to wait for the president to give us permission."

It is becoming apparent that to the extent FEMA was on the ground, they made things worse, by not allowing aid in or people out. I have no idea what the thinking there was. Apparently, in the case of not allowing in the Red Cross, FEMA was of the opinion that bringing food into NO would slow the process of getting people out.

We all know that the head of FEMA is a political hack with no experience and who seems to remain almost eerily clueless, but what does that say about the man who appointed him to this critical position?

The Director of Homeland Security has made it a habit to hold press conferences where he says things that anybody with basic cable knows are simply false, as if he were inhabiting a sealed bunker somewhere where no bad news is allowed to penetrate.

We know how the Bush admin can spin. We know that they won't hesitate to put forward bald faced lies, over and over again. The difference is that this time the results of their incompetence are in our own back yard, instead of thousands of miles away. We can see with our own eyes the gulf between their talking points and reality, and we don't have layers of "embedded" reporters and translators and "experts' between us and the truth.

This isn't about ideology. This is about the basic competence to deliver on the functionality of the federal government. This is about people who think that government is the problem, and that tax cuts and gutting programs and filling positions with like minded flunkies is the solution.

And now we see the results. This is personal responsibility writ large. This is the United States of America saying "tough shit, you should have planned better for a rainy day, don't expect the nanny state to bail you out".

The only people they know how to save are themselves. The only damage they can mitigate is political.

Is this really the country any of us want to live in?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #12 of 278
I must say, though, that I have been very happy with the press (on the ground) so far. They've actually been doing their jobs, it seems. It's only a matter of time, though, before the Bush admin PR machine spins all of this out of control. The Times yesterday reported that the admin has already begun its pushback PR campaign, making Bush take a mulligan on his first trip to the area, and they've already started the standard tactic of shifting the blame.

It's clear to me that this is a PR issue for the admin, and they only moved into action once it became clear that this was playing badly. Why else move Roberts's nomination to CJ so quickly? Change the story.

The simple fact of the matter is that the best thing Bush could do right now is fire everyone involved in FEMA's management, move FEMA out of DHS, and make it cabinet level again.
post #13 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I must say, though, that I have been very happy with the press (on the ground) so far. They've actually been doing their jobs, it seems. It's only a matter of time, though, before the Bush admin PR machine spins all of this out of control. The Times yesterday reported that the admin has already begun its pushback PR campaign, making Bush take a mulligan on his first trip to the area, and they've already started the standard tactic of shifting the blame.

It's clear to me that this is a PR issue for the admin, and they only moved into action once it became clear that this was playing badly. Why else move Roberts's nomination to CJ so quickly? Change the story.

The simple fact of the matter is that the best thing Bush could do right now is fire everyone involved in FEMA's management, move FEMA out of DHS, and make it cabinet level again.

Yes. As I said elsewehere the clearest (of course not the largest or most importent) failure is Roves. He really dropped the ball on this one.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #14 of 278
Quote:
]I must say, though, that I have been very happy with the press (on the ground) so far. They've actually been doing their jobs, it seems. It's only a matter of time, though, before the Bush admin PR machine spins all of this out of control.

Some of the coverage has been startling in its frankness. The very same people who have been so complacent about Bush's casual relationship to reality have been shocked into asking real questions. If only they could have experienced the run-up to Iraq with some of the same intensity, we might not have that quagmire on our plate today.

Quote:
....The simple fact of the matter is that the best thing Bush could do right now is fire everyone involved in FEMA's management, move FEMA out of DHS, and make it cabinet level again.]

I wonder if he will? It would be highly atypical, since it would require him to admit that he had had a hand in the fuck up, you know, actually take responsibility for something.

More likely is that they will fire anyone who gets off message and opines publicly that FEMA was a day late and a dollar short and that, given the cut backs and administrative castration that it had received, that outcome was entirely predictable.

Seeing how FEMA had been rolled into the DHS, however, how long before people start wondering why it is that four years and untold billions after 9/11 the very administration that has staked its entire sense of legitimacy on "protecting us from the terrorists" failed so abjectly the first time it was called upon to actually do something?

It seems to me that response to a large scale terrorist attack on an American city is almost entirely about rapid deployment, command and control, pre-positioning of assets and coordination of multiple responders, all being areas where the feds specifically fell down.

Saying that Katrina surprised everybody isn't going to cut it, because sure as shit nobody is going to give us a heads up if they detonate a dirty bomb in downtown Chicago.

(edited to fix formatting)
post #15 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
More likely is that they will fire anyone who gets off message and opines publicly that FEMA was a day late and a dollar short and that, given the cut backs and administrative castration that it had received, that outcome was entirely predictable.

Well, the water is rising, and I'm not talking about NOLA. Remember when DiIullio (sp?) was brought in from Pittsburgh (center of the Republican Universe) to advise on the faith-based initiatives and later left in disgust, calling them Mayberry Machiavellis and then somehow got forced by the admin to retract his comments in Esquire?

Remember how Dick Clarke wrote a book about their failures only to find himself assailed on all sids?

Remember how many times Tenet has fallen on his sword for the promise of a Presidential Freedom Medal?

Well, he ain't doing it again.

I doubt very seriously the good folks of Louisiana will put up with the standard line of disinformation/complication and spin.

Here's what they know: no one came to help them for 5 days.
post #16 of 278
I hope so.

I hope that we're not so far gone into brutal son of a bitch conservatism that the good people of the god fearing heartland won't be ready to write off New Orleans as a failure of "them": poor people who should have figured out how not to be poor, drowned people who should have gotten their asses to high ground, stupid people who deserved to be culled.

It's already started on the right wing blogs. It's there in the obsession with "lawlessness", as if that was the big problem.

I hope and pray our better natures are still intact, that there still is some sense of a "United States of America" beyond the "every man for himself" corporate free market third world wasteland they've been laying the groundwork for.
post #17 of 278
Evidence is growing that FEMA actively hampered the relief effort, apparently because they were more worried about pecking order than getting food and water to the victims.

--FEMA ignores offer of massive aid and requests one truck from Chicago:

Quote:
he city is willing to send hundreds of personnel, including firefighters and police, and dozens of vehicles to assist on the storm-battered Gulf Coast, but so far the Federal Emergency Management Agency has requested only a single tank truck, Daley said.

"I was shocked," he said.

"We are ready to provide considerably more help than they have requested," the mayor said, barely able to contain his anger during a City Hall news conference. "We are just waiting for the call."

--FEMA won't let Red Cross in:

Quote:
As the National Guard delivered food to the New Orleans convention center yesterday, American Red Cross officials said that federal emergency management authorities would not allow them to do the same.

Other relief agencies say the area is so damaged and dangerous that they doubted they could conduct mass feeding there now.

"The Homeland Security Department has requested and continues to request that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans," said Renita Hosler, spokeswoman for the Red Cross.

"Right now access is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities. We have been at the table every single day [asking for access]. We cannot get into New Orleans against their orders."

FEMA discourages first responders:

Quote:
Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), today urged all fire and emergency services departments not to respond to counties and states affected by Hurricane Katrina without being requested and lawfully dispatched by state and local authorities under mutual aid agreements and the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

FEMA ignores offers of help from the private sector:

Quote:
From Wal-Mart's satellite-based communications systems to FedEx's aircraft, US business has in some cases managed to provide a swifter response to the initial impact of hurricane Katrina than the federal and state authorities.

But critics of the handling of the crisis by government agencies said they were slow in accepting offers of help.

Mary Landrieu, the Democratic US senator from Louisiana, accused the Federal Emergency Management Agency of having "dragging its feet" when Amtrak offered trains to evacuate victims.

"Offers of medicine, communications equipment and other desperately needed items continue to flow in, only to be ignored by the agency," she said.

FEMA turns back diesel fuel from Coast Guard and water from Walmart:

Quote:
Far from deferring to state or local officials, FEMA asserted its authority and made things worse, Mr. Broussard complained on "Meet the Press."

When Wal-Mart sent three trailer trucks loaded with water, FEMA officials turned them away, he said. Agency workers prevented the Coast Guard from delivering 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel, and on Saturday they cut the parish's emergency communications line, leading the sheriff to restore it and post armed guards to protect it from FEMA, Mr. Broussard said.

FEMA prevents volunteer morticians who want to help with the bodies from entering NO:

Quote:
"I am not going anywhere, I spoke with D-MORT, a group of funeral directors and embalmers, and I cannot go," he said, his voice filled with disappointment.

The Associated Press displays daily images in newspapers and on Web sites featuring the dead lying on the ground or seated in chairs, with no one to tend to them. "USA Today talks about the body count and the things that are going on since it has been declared a national disaster area," he explained. "They won't let anyone in there. You have to be FEMA-certified and I am not," he said.

When a tragedy or disaster occurs in Arizona, trained, skilled people are allowed to help without Federal Emergency Management Agency certification, he said. "But when a national disaster is in effect, federal rules take over and FEMA would have to approve it," said Dudelston.

FEMA ignores well equipped Navy relief ship:

Quote:
The USS Bataan, a 844-foot ship designed to dispatch Marines in amphibious assaults, has helicopters, doctors, hospital beds, food and water. It also can make its own water, up to 100,000 gallons a day. And it just happened to be in the Gulf of Mexico when Katrina came roaring ashore.

The Bataan rode out the storm and then followed it toward shore, awaiting relief orders. Helicopter pilots flying from its deck were some of the first to begin plucking stranded New Orleans residents.

But now the Bataan's hospital facilities, including six operating rooms and beds for 600 patients, are empty. A good share of its 1,200 sailors could also go ashore to help with the relief effort, but they haven't been asked. The Bataan has been in the stricken region the longest of any military unit, but federal authorities have yet to fully utilize the ship.

FEMA turns down generators and seizes local equipment:

Quote:
3:32 P.M. Ben Morris, Slidell mayor: We are still hampered by some of the most stupid, idiotic regulations by FEMA. They have turned away generators, we've heard that they've gone around seizing equipment from our contractors. If they do so, they'd better be armed because I'll be damned if I'm going to let them deprive our citizens. I'm pissed off, and tired of this horse$#@@."

And that doesn't even include the many anecdotal accounts of people ready, eager and willing to help, with food, boats, planes and medicine, being prevented from entering the city.

It would one thing if this all led to tightly coordinated response, but as we know, it led to no response. It's as if FEMA preferred nothing getting done to things getting done outside of their control.

I really don't think it's unwarranted to start talking about criminal charges.
post #18 of 278
NPR reported earlier in an interview with Gene Taylor that Brown insisted on A SINGLE DISTRIBUTION POINT FOR FOOD instead of several.

Dude needs to go back to judging the judges of Arabian horses. Fucker gets his job because he's college buddies with the PREVIOUS director.

Cronyism.
post #19 of 278
Quote:
NPR reported earlier in an interview with Gene Taylor that Brown insisted on A SINGLE DISTRIBUTION POINT FOR FOOD instead of several.

Dude needs to go back to judging the judges of Arabian horses. Fucker gets his job because he's college buddies with the PREVIOUS director.

Cronyism.

And when cronyism gets a bunch of people killed it's time to clean house.

I say we start with the guy who entrusted the agency to this well connected jack-ass.
post #20 of 278
Well, at least FEMA had time to whip a little rap for the kids:

Quote:
Disaster . . . it can happen anywhere,
But we've got a few tips, so you can be prepared
For floods, tornadoes, or even a 'quake,
You've got to be ready - so your heart don't break.

Disaster prep is your responsibility
And mitigation is important to our agency.

People helping people is what we do
And FEMA is there to help see you through
When disaster strikes, we are at our best
But we're ready all the time, 'cause disasters don't rest.
post #21 of 278
Oh, hell, and while I'm at it, what the fuck is up with Michael Chertoff?

He keeps giving press conferences where he says things that everybody knows is just complete bullshit. I swear to God, it's like the guy was actually mildly retarded.

Here's one that Wonkette caught:

Quote:
On Sunday, DHS chief Michael Chertoff told "Meet the Press's" Tim Russert that one reason for the delay in getting federal aid to Katrina victims was that "everyone" thought the crisis had passed when the storm left: "I remember on Tuesday morning picking up newspapers and I saw headlines, 'New Orleans Dodged The Bullet.'" We're wondering what papers the Chertoff household gets, because these are the headlines that greeted most people Tuesday morning:

There follows images of every major newspaper in America with front pages full of stories of devastation and disaster.

They knew the levies were breached by Monday afternoon.
post #22 of 278
Quote:
And when cronyism gets a bunch of people killed it's time to clean house.

I say we start with the guy who entrusted the agency to this well connected jack-ass.

Don't forget that neither Brown NOR Allbaugh had any experience with disaster management when they were brought on.
post #23 of 278
Quote:
Oh, hell, and while I'm at it, what the fuck is up with Michael Chertoff?

He keeps giving press conferences where he says things that everybody knows is just complete bullshit. I swear to God, it's like the guy was actually mildly retarded.

Here's one that Wonkette caught:

There follows images of every major newspaper in America with front pages full of stories of devastation and disaster.

They knew the levies were breached by Monday afternoon.

It's all part of the Rove pushback. Lie in public enough and the press will just report it. The problem, though, is that this isn't some kind of abstract concept like "Saddam Hussein has Weapons of Mass Destruction." It's shit that was being reported on by folks in the field. That's why Paula Zahn, et al have gone batshit over this. Did anyone here see Soledad O'Brien (mmmmmmm) tear into Brown about people at the convention center?
post #24 of 278
Quote:
Don't forget that neither Brown NOR Allbaugh had any experience with disaster management when they were brought on.

Hey, wasn't that Allbaugh guy Bush's 2001 campaign manager? Now THAT was fucking disastrous.

--B

post #25 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by bergz
Hey, wasn't that Allbaugh guy Bush's 2001 campaign manager? Now THAT was fucking disastrous.

--B

Yup. That's the same guy. Forget about bringing trusted friends on as advisors or senior staff...Bush put them in CHARGE of things that they had NO EXPERIENCE in.

Ugh.
post #26 of 278
Quote:
It's all part of the Rove pushback. Lie in public enough and the press will just report it. The problem, though, is that this isn't some kind of abstract concept like "Saddam Hussein has Weapons of Mass Destruction." It's shit that was being reported on by folks in the field. That's why Paula Zahn, et al have gone batshit over this. Did anyone here Soledad O'Brien (mmmmmmm) tear into Brown about people at the convention center?

Yeah, that's the surreal thing about the field reporting.

After 6 years of somnolent stenography, members of the press actually saw, up close and personal, what lethal incompetence looks like.

And it turns out it makes them mad. Who would have thought?

Some of the weirdest exchanges were people on site openly breaking with official narrative being oozed by the folks back in the air conditioned studios.

Even Anderson Cooper pretty much lost it.
post #27 of 278
Is anyone mad at the Mayor on NO for delaying the mandatory evacuation order because of liability reasons?
post #28 of 278
Quote:
Originally posted by PBook12
Is anyone mad at the Mayor on NO for delaying the mandatory evacuation order because of liability reasons?

Is anyone mad at the conservatives for trying to shift the blame from an endless array of mind-numbingly bone-headed decisions by FEMA to the local officials? Why didn't Nagin personally go from door to door and carry people out of the city on his back? Why didn't Nagin ensure that every poor black person in the lower 9th was listening to WUNO's public radio broadcast on a Saturday night?

Jesus. No one came to help them for five days.
post #29 of 278
I guess not. That other guy got ban for having a position similar to mine. I'll shut up now I don't want to get banned.
post #30 of 278
Quote:
I guess not. That other guy got ban for having a position similar to mine. I'll shut up now I don't want to get banned.

Jeez. Giant? Giiiiiant? Care to explain the equal opportunity banning around here?

And who got banned?
post #31 of 278
I don't know the guy with the X at the end of his name. I'm giving up now. You guys win, I loose.
post #32 of 278
Quote:
I don't know the guy with the X at the end of his name. I'm giving up now. You guys win, I loose.

K. See you later, NaplesX.
post #33 of 278
Olbermann swings for the fences.

A must see.
post #34 of 278
On the other hand, at the other end of the universe, the ever gracious Barbara Bush.

Surveying the homeless masses in the Astrodome, she remarks:

"So many of the people in the arena here, they're underprivileged anyway.... (chuckles) This is working very well for them."

I've got an idea. Let's take every extent member of the Bush clan, including, say, out to second cousins, and use them as sand bags.

The aggregate decency of the US would take a sharp uptick.
post #35 of 278
dp
post #36 of 278
I am stunned by both of these last media posts!!!

One for being courageous and spot on, the other for exemplifying EVERYTHING so perfectly.
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #37 of 278
you know what? that BBush statement sounds very much like the old saying that racists used to whisper under their breaths: 'They were much happier as slaves anyway' . . I wonder if this mindset is actually at play in the ultra-rich of the south?

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #38 of 278
First there is a bungled Civilian attempt to respond to the storm with little or no Federal backup.

On Friday Bush visits the area and says things will change.

Late Friday sees the Military enter the scene and immediately things start changing for the better. These guys are organized.

Now the country sees that it's better to let the military come to your town to solve your problems instead of relying on your local or state governments.

don't say you weren't warned.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #39 of 278
Quote:
Olbermann swings for the fences.

A must see.

Just wanted to post that again before I respond to formerlurker.

Formerlurker: yeah . . . could be, but I kinda think that its really a matter of true-to-goodness bungling based on innumerable factors including a barely disguised contempt for the poor (see BBush quote) and an ideological propensity to believe that people should not have Government in their lives . . .
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #40 of 278
Of course that's a far more likely explanation.

I just thought this thread needed a little SJO touch to it...
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The definitive statement: failure of Leadership