or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple cancels Apple Expo keynote address

Apple cancels Apple Expo keynote address - Page 2

post #41 of 110
Surely this means Apple is doomed
post #42 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
Surely this means Apple is doomed

Well, it's certainly not looking very good. I wouldn't invest in Apple at this point. They have pulled out of a lot of things at the last minute recently. The new switch campaign, the Mac mini promotion and now the keynote. There must be something major going on to cause all these distruptions.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #43 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
OK, so it looks as though the Paris Expo Keynote has been cancelled. We don't know if there was ever one scheduled in the first place.

That we know for sure. One of my friends did receive his keynote ticket just today in his mail.
post #44 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Well, this must be a first for quite some time in Apple's history. People have already received their keynote badges, for an already cancelled keynote.

This is a good point, is there any truth to this?? Cause I don't see it posted on the usual copy cat sites?? Could it just be a mistake?
post #45 of 110
Sorry looks pretty official, didn't see it on alll the other sites, but hey i can always dream that it is still on...
post #46 of 110
This could be a nice little psychological ploy by Apple to help tone down the pre-show hype/speculation/rumor by all of the fan sites and so called "insiders." Jobs is still going to be there, apparently. Who says he needs to have a formal keynote to introduce a new product or two??
post #47 of 110
wishful thinking!

Steve loves the buzz creates by keynotes. if is not going to have one means just one thing: no product announcements.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #48 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
Steve loves the buzz creates by keynotes. if is not going to have one means just one thing: no product announcements.

That's true, to some extent. However, if PowerBooks go from a 1.67Ghz 7447 to a 1.7Ghz 7448, I'd guess Apple would prefer to introduce that with a simple press release and update to the Apple Store. And personally, I think that would be a nice upgrade since the bus speed would be a little faster and they would run cooler.
post #49 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
Well, it's certainly not looking very good. I wouldn't invest in Apple at this point. They have pulled out of a lot of things at the last minute recently. The new switch campaign, the Mac mini promotion and now the keynote. There must be something major going on to cause all these distruptions.

Oh for goodness sake....
post #50 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
That's true, to some extent. However, if PowerBooks go from a 1.67Ghz 7447 to a 1.7Ghz 7448, I'd guess Apple would prefer to introduce that with a simple press release and update to the Apple Store. And personally, I think that would be a nice upgrade since the bus speed would be a little faster and they would run cooler.

Well, if you mean small updates, then yes we might see that. I agree with you. We probably might see even before Paris such small updates IMHO.
But Steve not going to stage means no MAJOR or NEW products updates or announcements. So forget the "amazing PPC products down the pipeline" at Paris.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #51 of 110
Quote:
Well, if you mean small updates, then yes we might see that. I agree with you. We probably might see even before Paris such small updates IMHO.
But Steve not going to stage means no MAJOR or NEW products updates or announcements. So forget the "amazing PPC products down the pipeline" at Paris.

At WWDC 2005 Steve Jobs said "we've got some great PowerPC products still yet to come." Lots of people read way too much into that statement; i.e. "we're gonna knock your socks off." He could have been referring to the recently updated iBook and mini for all we know. Steve is after all, a salesman on stage. What he refers to as "great PowerPC products yet to come" simply means more Macs with PowerPC processors. Whether or not we think they're amazing has nothing to do with it.

BTW, gugy, I'm not arguing with you. Just want to point out that people set themselves up for disappointment. Take another statement from Jobs: "This is the year of HD." He said that in January because he had just introduced a bunch of HD software. Yet people are expecting amazing new HD hardware as well.

Go figure.
post #52 of 110
I agree with you.
I don't get disappointed anymore. After WWDC and the last lame Powermac and Powerbooks updates, I have not expecting much at all from Apple anymore. Maybe when Intel comes in things might change. Till then don't see much.
Apple seems to be putting too much effort on the Ipod and forgot about their computer hardware.
I hope this will change.
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #53 of 110
Quote:

Oh for goodness sake....

What's your problem? Do you actually think it's a good sign when a company continually makes plans, taking them through to the final stages and then backs out of them at the last minute? You don't find that the least bit odd?

They created an all new switch campaign, flew people out to film the commercials and then killed it. Then they created a new Mac mini test drive program, accepting orders through it and then killed it. Now, after mailing out keynote passes to people they are pulling out of this as well. All of this within the last month or so. Obviously something has gone wrong recently to cause all this. You just don't do these things on a whim.

It does not exactly inspire confidence in the marketplace.

post #54 of 110
hmm... I wonder if it has anything to do with how easy Tiger X86 was broken for generic procs using SSE2 and SSE3? I bet Steve got to looking around at how wicked and talented the hacking crowd was and blew a gasket?

It's kinda funny that some hackers beat Steve to the market with OSX86! I installed it on my son's E-Machine. If it gets a little more stable and the fat binaries pan out, I'm not sure I will ever buy a Mac again. Who cares if Macs have a useful life of 10 years. I'll just buy a cheapo current technology screamer, use it for a year, throw away and repeat.

I'm sure it's got Steve wondering at nights.
post #55 of 110
My guess is that Apple will pull out all the stops September 7th, and then quietly bump the PPC products sometime through October. This leaves a stable X-Mas season and new whiz-bang gear for the new year.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #56 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by kresh
hmm... I wonder if it has anything to do with how easy Tiger X86 was broken for generic procs using SSE2 and SSE3? I bet Steve got to looking around at how wicked and talented the hacking crowd was and blew a gasket?

It's kinda funny that some hackers beat Steve to the market with OSX86! I installed it on my son's E-Machine. If it gets a little more stable and the fat binaries pan out, I'm not sure I will ever buy a Mac again. Who cares if Macs have a useful life of 10 years. I'll just buy a cheapo current technology screamer, use it for a year, throw away and repeat.

I'm sure it's got Steve wondering at nights.

You probably can't compare the DTK version with the final one since the DTK machine is just a regular Intel motherboard.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #57 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
My guess is that Apple will pull out all the stops September 7th, and then quietly bump the PPC products sometime through October. This leaves a stable X-Mas season and new whiz-bang gear for the new year.

I'm with Xool on this one. Lets assume Apple is not stupid.
1- A public company that sells consumer electronics
2- The best showman/salesman since PT Barnum as its leader
3- With the cancellation of a Paris pitch The CEO/salesman has made it clear that this is his last public appearance till after Christmas
4- 40% of retail profits are allegedly made in the last qtr of the year
5- The market and the public already know about a moto/iTunes phone and are bored with the concept by now
6- The stock price and sales momentum are almost totally dependant on what Steve Jobs has to say on Wednesday. And, sorry to say, most of the market and the great unwashed don't give a damn about Macintosh computers. iPods and music get the ink (buzz). For those expecting a boring Moto manufactured iPhone that plays a few songs on the device I suggest you buy some September puts on Apple computer because you can retire after wednesday as the price of Apple stock drops. Personally I am going the other way. My money is on SJ wowing the press.
MS: loving the darkness; cursing the candles
post #58 of 110
yeah, i think snipe has got it here. apple is just making sure they ride the iPod and iTunesPhone as hard as possible into early 2006.

there has been a LOT of second guessing (switch canning, mac mini 30day, keynote pullout) which means that they are just being extra cautious and i think trying to channel their energies to the key stuff that Steve + gang feel is most important. we will get to the bottom of this soonish...

we know that this essentially means that whatever PPC remains to be launched for this year, Steve is basically like, "whatevs, let's get it out the door" .... in approx 48hours i could be proven wrong but i strongly feel there will be NO new Mac announcements Sep 7th. iTunesPhone + new iPods is my guess. 50% chance ONLY iTunesPhone is announced
post #59 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
My guess is that Apple will pull out all the stops September 7th...

Excuse me for the eventual misunderstanding, since English is not my mother tongue, but are you an organist by chance?
post #60 of 110
heh. english is like one of the weirdest languages in the world. usually only native english speakers really 'get' how weird it is... usa, uk, australian english, might as well be considered different dialects. my english is weird like this, because of growing up in malaysia, singapore, australia, usa, all the while, keeping "british english" as my ideal english, if only in my mind alone.

AFAIK "pull out all the stops" is a common english phrase, meaning, "to bring it on", or "to not hold back"....
i think most people nowadays probably don't realise it possibly came from its original use as related to playing those big (church, concert hall) organs.
post #61 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman

AFAIK "pull out all the stops" is a common english phrase, meaning, "to bring it on", or "to not hold back"....
i think most people nowadays probably don't realise it possibly came from its original use as related to playing those big (church, concert hall) organs.

That's what it means for me, pull out all the organ stops to play at full power. Perhaps it means today put all the force you have available to do something.
post #62 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
That's what it means for me, pull out all the organ stops to play at full power. Perhaps it means today put all the force you have available to do something.

cool.... yeah, most english speakers nowadays commonly say "pull out all the stops" without ever having seen an actual organ stop.... that's progress for ya
post #63 of 110
Quote:
cool.... yeah, most english speakers nowadays commonly say "pull out all the stops" without ever having seen an actual organ stop.... that's progress for ya

For example, and since it is the Apple Expo Paris the event of the month (was anyway), here is the new console in the Notre Dame cathedral:

Let's hope that Apple will play soon this organ "all stops pulled out" .
post #64 of 110
Cool, rumor-based speculatin' edutainment on AI
post #65 of 110
is there Intel or PowerPC in that organ? i'm confused, how does it make a sound if there is no computer or Roland chip in there?
post #66 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by snipe
I'm with Xool on this one. Lets assume Apple is not stupid.
1- A public company that sells consumer electronics
2- The best showman/salesman since PT Barnum as its leader
3- With the cancellation of a Paris pitch The CEO/salesman has made it clear that this is his last public appearance till after Christmas
4- 40% of retail profits are allegedly made in the last qtr of the year
5- The market and the public already know about a moto/iTunes phone and are bored with the concept by now
6- The stock price and sales momentum are almost totally dependant on what Steve Jobs has to say on Wednesday. And, sorry to say, most of the market and the great unwashed don't give a damn about Macintosh computers. iPods and music get the ink (buzz). For those expecting a boring Moto manufactured iPhone that plays a few songs on the device I suggest you buy some September puts on Apple computer because you can retire after wednesday as the price of Apple stock drops. Personally I am going the other way. My money is on SJ wowing the press.

Yep! On the button snipester 8)

Now, where does the phrase 'on the button' originate from? Hmm?
post #67 of 110
Quote:
is there Intel or PowerPC in that organ? i'm confused, how does it make a sound if there is no computer or Roland chip in there?

From what the site says this (true pipe) historic organ is controlled by seven computers today, without telling what exactly. See here for the history and the electronic system and here for pictures of the cathedral and the pipes.
post #68 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
From what the site says this (true pipe) historic organ is controlled by seven computers today, without telling what exactly. See here for the history and the electronic system and here for pictures of the cathedral and the pipes.

What? I thought you europeans are all "old skool"... that historic organ should be operating without any electronics or computers!!!
post #69 of 110
Quote:
What? I thought you europeans are all "old skool"...

That's why the pipes are still there in perfect operational condition.

Quote:

that historic organ should be operating without any electronics or computers!!!

Why? You have around 7000 pipes, operated by five manuals and one pedal. How the manual touch is transmitted to the pipes as wind is not so relevant, especially when electronics removes many of the annoying machanical sounds and adds some welcome bonus.

But let's leave this organ in peace and look at what organ Apple will play these days .
post #70 of 110
Quote:
Yep! On the button snipester 8)

Now, where does the phrase 'on the button' originate from? Hmm?

Hmm.... Curling perhaps? Not quite sure.
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
post #71 of 110
Apple has reportedly canceled its opening keynote address at Apple Expo Paris, according to the event's Web site.

Previous reports had indicated that Apple chief executive Steve Jobs would kick-off the show in typical fashion, delivering at least one major product announcement. Several industry figures had also been told to expect to hear from the Apple co-founder at the show.

As recently as last week, the Apple Expo Web site stated that the Apple Expo 2005 Keynote presentation would be held at the Palais des Congrès in Paris, on Tuesday, 20 September at 10:00 am.

Visitors were encouraged to "register for this special event and receive your K-marked entry badge for the Keynote and Apple Expo."

However, this weekend show organizers changed the Web site to read "Apple Expo will not feature a formal keynote presentation at Palais des Congrès."

A representative for Apple Expo told The Mac Observer that show organizers were informed of Jobs' decision to back out of the keynote presentation over the weekend.

No formal explanation for the change in plans has been provided at this time.

According to reliable sources, at one point Apple was planning to introduce as many as three new PowerPC-based Macintosh models at the show, including new PowerBook G4 laptops. The new Macs are slated to include a fresh breed of processors from IBM and Freescale, which have caused, and may continue to cause, delays.

Jobs, along with several members of Apple's executive team, are still expected to attend the expo.
post #72 of 110
Well, I guess Apple feels like they can milk the iPod for another Christmas. \
post #73 of 110
I'm always amused when Jobs is accused of lying. I suppose then that everyone who expects something to occur and says so, but then has to back down because they found out otherwise is also lying.

Powerlogix told me that new 7457 boards would be out in early July. They still aren't here. did they lie because Freescale told them that they would have the chips and then failed to supply them?

What is all this eagerness to accuse someone of lying? It would be stupid for someone in Jobs' position to lie about these matters because they would then be caught out. It's bad enough when your supplier is assuming that everything is going well, but then at the last minute finds out otherwise.

So far the market today doesn't find this to be a problem as the stock is up over two points.

I'm feel sure that Apple will be coming out with new PPC machines. The question is when.
post #74 of 110
I just read this;

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/iS...ris-Expo.xhtml

What is interesting is that they say that they were told that Jobs and other executives would be available to talk to the media.

So we might find out something about what happened after all.
post #75 of 110
I think many of you guys are setting yourselves to disappointment Sept. 7. I hope to be wrong, but, I don't see too much excitement behind and Itunes Phone or possibly 5th generation Ipod.
The keynote canceling is a proof of how bad things are at Apple. This was a very lame year. With the exception of the Mac Mini that was a good addition to the line up but not one a performance impressive one, we have not seem much at all.
What happened to the year of HD? what happened to the great PPC products down the pipeline?. I see too many empty promises.

Now we have slow Powermacs and Powerbooks and no exciting performance improvements until Intel kicks in. That's not good since we are expecting the transition to finish in 2007. That's a long time.

So what's going to happen?
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #76 of 110
Quote:
I think many of you guys are setting yourselves to disappointment Sept. 7. I hope to be wrong, but, I don't see too much excitement behind and Itunes Phone or possibly 5th generation Ipod.
The keynote canceling is a proof of how bad things are at Apple. This was a very lame year. With the exception of the Mac Mini that was a good addition to the line up but not one a performance impressive one, we have not seem much at all.
What happened to the year of HD? what happened to the great PPC products down the pipeline?. I see too many empty promises.

Now we have slow Powermacs and Powerbooks and no exciting performance improvements until Intel kicks in. That's not good since we are expecting the transition to finish in 2007. That's a long time.

So what's going to happen?

Someone must think something good is happening. My real time trade program tells me that Apple is up 2.5 points right now to $48.80.
post #77 of 110
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Someone must think something good is happening. My real time trade program tells me that Apple is up 2.5 points right now to $48.80.

and on big volume... 18 million shares in 3 hours
post #78 of 110
Like I said: I hope to be wrong!
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #79 of 110
Quote:
Like I said: I hope to be wrong!

I certainly hope so!
post #80 of 110
What happened to the kenaustus post that I just got notification about?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple cancels Apple Expo keynote address