or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › ipod nano or shuffle for working out?? :)

ipod nano or shuffle for working out?? :)

post #1 of 10
I'm really digging the new nanos(especially black). I already have a new 60 gig ipod which I LOVE. I use it for travelling and long trips mostly. But I was thinking about getting a shuffle for the gym...because the 60 gig was kinda getting in the way.

I'd only use it for the gym really...so i don't know if the nano is overkill compared to the shuffle. But it sure looks cool.

What are some of your thoughts? Anyone have the shuffle? Likes/dislikes?

Thanks
post #2 of 10
The nano will give you the ability to have more than one playlist and a lot more storage. If you only have a select number of songs in one playlist that you always listen to during your workouts, the shuffle will be fine.

If you see yourself using the other features of the nano while in the gym -- such as EQ settings, the lap counter, and/or having your calendar and address book with you in case you need to look something up -- then go with the nano.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #3 of 10
The nano has the screen...go with the nano I think...
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #4 of 10
But smaller is almost always better for working out, and how often are you going to futz with the tune that is playing during your workout? A well chosen shuffle playlist should be able to get you through several workouts without ever needing to hit anything other than play, stop and volume.

It all depends on how much you think you will actively control it while you work out.
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Hiro
But smaller is almost always better for working out, and how often are you going to futz with the tune that is playing during your workout? A well chosen shuffle playlist should be able to get you through several workouts without ever needing to hit anything other than play, stop and volume.

It all depends on how much you think you will actively control it while you work out.

true...

are you only using it for working out though?
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally posted by regan
<snip>
I'd only use it for the gym really...so i don't know if the nano is overkill compared to the shuffle. But it sure looks cool.
<snip>

Guess he answered that one already?? Maybe??
post #7 of 10
I have a shuffle now but I want Nano for the display. If you want to listen to Pod Casts you need to have a display to queue up the one you want. With the Shuffle I only listen to music so I don't care what order the songs play in.

I'd go with the Nano.
post #8 of 10
I had a mini, which I traded for a shuffle. For me, the shuffle is better for working out. No screen to keep looking down at and really, how many songs can one listen to during a workout anyway?

Of course, I'm going to get a black nano. Shuffle for running; nano for commuting and trips.
post #9 of 10
can't beat a shuffle with a clip for the gym. forget the lanyard or an arm band which are your only options (in four weeks for the nano).

The super light shuffle clipped to your t-shirt collar is perfect for a gym rat, keeps the wires out of the way and you don't know its there. I couldn't imagine an armband or lanyard anymore, they just 'don't work'(tm)
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #10 of 10
NANO HANDS DOWN!!!!

I was using an old generation 3 10gig for working out and just treated myself to the 2 gig Nano. WOW is all i can say. Its so light with the armband i can't feel it. doing biceps or anything like that you still dont feel the band restrictive either. And I do find myself using the STOPWATCH feature a lot, as well as looking at the TIME, how many songs i've listened to as well as i have control to quickly go to a song i WANT to hear... not one that the shuffle would make me hear or search blindly for.

Choose the nano... it'll be well worth it
Jeremy Guzman, EMT
Jeremy Guzman, EMT
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › ipod nano or shuffle for working out?? :)