or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › King Kong 2005

King Kong 2005

post #1 of 14
Let the buzz begin.

My kids are demanding to see this movie. I've warned them that it's going to give me nightmares, but they don't care. They want to see Kong!

Our Cinematic Agenda Thusfar:
October: "Wallace and Grommit-Curse of the WereRabbit"
November: "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"
December: "King Kong"

V/R,

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #2 of 14
Cool.

I have hopes for this (unlike most remakes) because I think Jackson knows what makes movies go.

For instance, the last sequence in the trailer is a reenactment from the original's famous battle between a tyrannosaur and Kong.

The sound editing, the pacing and shot selection, ending with cool push in from a medium shot that shows Kong framed against (a nicely art directecd) island primeval to a close up of his snarling head (and listen for the sound of his jaws snapping shut) all have an engaging classic feel without seeming gimmicky.

Could be a winner.

But..... Jack Black?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 14
Peter Jackson, you have my sword.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox

But..... Jack Black?

Jack Black gets some tremendously bad scripts. This you can't deny. If he does a good job in King Kong, it may partly vindicate him as an actor.

Although I did get a big kick out of "School of Rock"
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #5 of 14
Originally posted by Dino de Laurentiis- Time Magazine, 1976

No one cry when Jaws die, Dino says, his voice rising in passion as he develops his theme.
But when the monkey die, people gonna cry.
Intellectuals gonna love Konk; even film buffs who love the first Konk gonna love ours. Why? Because I no give them crap. I no spend two, three million to do quick business. I spend 24 million on my Konk. I give them quality. I got here a great love story, a great adventure. And she rated PG. For everybody.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #6 of 14
Wallace and Grommit!!!!!!

Do I need children to go see this?
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders

No, but some plasticine might be handy.
post #8 of 14
Lateral... anyone go to universal and do the King Kong ride? The commercials made it look so good (as the rest of Universal too...)

But frankly... I was let down by almost every single thing we did there.

Guess that's what happens when you grow up a Disney kid.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Splinemodel
Jack Black gets some tremendously bad scripts. This you can't deny. If he does a good job in King Kong, it may partly vindicate him as an actor.

Although I did get a big kick out of "School of Rock"

Don't get me wrong, I think Black's some kind of evil genius, dating back to his early HBO "Tenacious D" days.

I just never would have thought of him as the crafty director hollywood showman type.

Actually, now that I type that, it comes to me: casting genius.
post #10 of 14
I have seen a preview of King Kong, and it was awesome : great direction. I will watch this movie for sure.
post #11 of 14
I am so fucking excited for this movie. Words cannot express.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Cool.

I have hopes for this (unlike most remakes) because I think Jackson knows what makes movies go.

Look at the preview again. I'd give an Oscar to Jackson just on the preview alone. I got goosebumps just watching the damn preview!

The 1933 plot with 2005 special effects and (maybe) a toned down Carl Denham. It could really, really... be special.

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders

Adopt them if you have to. : )
W&G! W&G!

V/R,

Ariel 1B
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by 709
I am so fucking excited for this movie. Words cannot express.

Seldom has the spirit of a thread been so aptly captured!

V/R,
Aries 1B
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › King Kong 2005