or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › .gov addresses???

.gov addresses???

post #1 of 3
I recently received an email that at first took for a spam, but somehow I looked at the sender's email and it was a nasa.gov address.

Is it possible or worth the time and trouble for a spammer to spoof one of these?
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

post #2 of 3
For some very simple spoofs.. it's no harder or easier to make it .gov. (it's a text mask shoved into some headers to make it lok official)

w/o anti-spam systems.. there usually is no counter check to verify the labels to the actual sending address..

Also.. they could make them anything. .ttt .bfg .ass or whatever they please. Hope that answers.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
For some very simple spoofs.. it's no harder or easier to make it .gov. (it's a text mask shoved into some headers to make it lok official)

w/o anti-spam systems.. there usually is no counter check to verify the labels to the actual sending address..

Also.. they could make them anything. .ttt .bfg .ass or whatever they please. Hope that answers.

thanks

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › .gov addresses???