or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Why do Microsoft chiefs dress so incredibly badly?

Why do Microsoft chiefs dress so incredibly badly?

post #1 of 47

Why on earth would these guys have to look worse than '85 Kremlin accountancy funtionaries?
post #2 of 47
Apple = Design elegance

MS = 'borrowed style'

Didn't you get the memos for the last 25 years?

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #3 of 47
(sarcasm)
It shows that, even though they're filthy rich, they're "real" people that don't have to wear stuffy suits all the time. They're cool guys that make cool products that people love to use.
(/sarcasm)

Yeah...right.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #4 of 47
Because it's a reflection on the design of their products.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Doxxic

Why on earth would these guys have to look worse than '85 Kremlin accountancy funtionaries?

What, in your opinion, should they be wearing, and why?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #6 of 47
Sammi as the defender of the capital. Thats a first

But I agree. If anything you have to tip the hat to the fact that they havenĀ“t let the success change their style of clothing.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo

They should go naked. Why? To prove how liberated they are.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #8 of 47
And besides as we all know you code better naked.
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
Apple = Design elegance

MS = 'borrowed style'

Didn't you get the memos for the last 25 years?

The difference is equal.
post #10 of 47
Though those guys are a bunch of empty suits, I wouldn't call a pair of NewBalance, some old Gap jeans and a black mock turtleneck exactly 'stylish' either... iconic maybe, but not stylish.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by DanMacMan
Though those guys are a bunch of empty suits, I wouldn't call a pair of NewBalance, some old Gap jeans and a black mock turtleneck exactly 'stylish' either... iconic maybe, but not stylish.

When did he stop wearing Prada shoes?
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #12 of 47
RED ALERT!

Computer nerds do not have great individualistic fashion sense!

RED ALERT!

CALL THE PRESIDENT!
proud resident of a failed state
post #13 of 47
I'd be more concerned if Bill Gates started wearing Hollister, wore that just-got-out-of-bed-tussled-hair look, and grew a soul patch under his bottom lip.
post #14 of 47
There is a reason why "trendy nerd" only result in 261 matches on Google.
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders

That's right, dressing badly is a fashion in the SJ and BG generation. Franckly can you imagine SJ in a costume suit ?
post #16 of 47
Quote:

Anything that isn't nothing. Make a choice. Leaders make choices! They inspire! They tell us where to go!

post #17 of 47
Quote:

Put Bill Gates in that outfit with those glasses and a stylish haircut and I'd vote for him to be POTUS.

j/k
post #18 of 47
Who fucking cares?

I wear a similar "polo" shirt and slacks combination everyday to work (there is only one season here). There's no reason for me to look stylish, or, for that matter, at all well-manicured. So I do what's easy. I bet the same can be said for most of Microsoft.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Sammi as the defender of the capital. Thats a first

But I agree. If anything you have to tip the hat to the fact that they havenĀ“t let the success change their style of clothing.

My point being: Who is the arbiter of the definition of "well dressed"? Why are those Microsoft people "badly dressed"? What is wrong with their clothing? If the wrong colors, then what should the correct colors be, and why? If the collar on the suit jacket is the wrong shape, the what is the correct shape, and why? And so on and so on.

Random thoughts....

Why does a defendant in court feel he should wear a formal suit and tie? Is it because he thinks that the judge will deal with him more leniently if he was dressed in that fashion? Will the judge think it is "respectful of the court" to appear in that type of garb? Are judges that shallow? The suit'n'tie thing never ceases to amaze. Gandhi was once invited to appear at some formal function (in India) and he showed up wearing his customary saddu's attire of a loincloth. He was turned away at the door because he wasn't wearing a suit and tie. He left without a word and sent his personal messenger to the function instead, bearing a gift of a suit and tie from Mr. Gandhi.

Why is the suit'n'tie considered the sole smart, or "worthy of respect" way for a man to dress? Perhaps it's just social conditoning ... I must be just as susceptible, as a guy in a smart suit does have appeal ... but as a symbol of unquestionable respect, that kinda floors me some. After all, the suit and tie is the uniform of worlds most vicious and malevolent folk; most of the world's ill are perpetrated and caused by men in suits and ties!
post #20 of 47
I think the issue is not the fact that they're not wearing suits and ties. For me, it seems that they're trying to make a statement by NOT wearing a suit and tie:

"See, we aren't wearing suits and ties. We're laid back executives. We're just like all you people who AREN'T worth billions of dollars."

Everyday guys they are not. They shouldn't pretend to be.
post #21 of 47
I refuse to wear white T-shirts. Thats my statement.
post #22 of 47
Quote:
My point being: Who is the arbiter of the definition of "well dressed"? Why are those Microsoft people "badly dressed"? What is wrong with their clothing? If the wrong colors, then what should the correct colors be, and why? If the collar on the suit jacket is the wrong shape, the what is the correct shape, and why? And so on and so on.

Random thoughts....

Why does a defendant in court feel he should wear a formal suit and tie? Is it because he thinks that the judge will deal with him more leniently if he was dressed in that fashion? Will the judge think it is "respectful of the court" to appear in that type of garb? Are judges that shallow? The suit'n'tie thing never ceases to amaze. Gandhi was once invited to appear at some formal function (in India) and he showed up wearing his customary saddu's attire of a loincloth. He was turned away at the door because he wasn't wearing a suit and tie. He left without a word and sent his personal messenger to the function instead, bearing a gift of a suit and tie from Mr. Gandhi.

Why is the suit'n'tie considered the sole smart, or "worthy of respect" way for a man to dress? Perhaps it's just social conditoning ... I must be just as susceptible, as a guy in a smart suit does have appeal ... but as a symbol of unquestionable respect, that kinda floors me some. After all, the suit and tie is the uniform of worlds most vicious and malevolent folk; most of the world's ill are perpetrated and caused by men in suits and ties!

They are not bad dressed, because they don't wear suit or tie, they are bad dressed, because their dresses are tasteless.

That's said, I think that Cosmonut is spot on : they try to made a statement by wearing average clothes. The statement is that they are like everybody. It's only marketing.
post #23 of 47
Quote:

ROFLMAO
post #24 of 47
we need "queer eye for the tech guy"
-Justin Winokur

15" Core i7 MacBook Pro, (circa July 2010)
-Justin Winokur

post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
They are not bad dressed, because they don't wear suit or tie, they are bad dressed, because their dresses are tasteless.

That's said, I think that Cosmonut is spot on : they try to made a statement by wearing average clothes. The statement is that they are like everybody. It's only marketing.

Agree. My plea for taste is not a plea for conformism - to the contrary! I plea that they make choices, like Steve Supersaint does in his sexy black turtle neck.

What Powerdoc writes also implies that Microsoft thinks that everybody is tasteless and yes, they probably think so.

Remember those hideous Microsoft Dinosaur ads, saying:
"Hey you, poorly dressed dinosaur with your depressing job! The complaining-about-badly-designed-Microsoft-software era is over!"

All of the original images and poetry can be found here.

post #26 of 47
yes, sadly those ads will still be relevant when referring to all the poor schmoes who have to use windows vista and office 12 BLOATWARE WITH CRAP RIPOFF UI. fight the power, brothas and sistas.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Why are those Microsoft people "badly dressed"?

Because they work for Microsoft. The Maclot brain is not difficult to understand.

Here's the gist of it:
"HURRRRRRRRRR MICRO$OFT HURRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Quote:

I don't get this at all. To believe this you would have to think their natural inclination is to wear tuxedos and top hats everywhere because they are rich. That is absurd.

They are regular people, and I can guarantee you that none of them are 1/1000th as image-conscious as this guy:

Having met people like these Microsofties, I can assure you that their heads are not in creating an image of their clothing. They'll snatch up free swag polos at conventions and wear them to work if they can get away with it. The less time they spend thinking about close the more time they can think about their pet projects.
post #28 of 47
Dear Grover. I never said that they should wear tuxedo or top hat. I said that this executive people from microsoft, who are in representation ( I don't give a rat ass of what about they wear at office), are very conscious of the way they wear clothes. They choose to have no special clothes at all. It's their marketing choice. And yes, SJ is very aware of his image, the dark turtle neck is his signature.

I also dress this way while working (perhaps I should try to work with a top hat, let's say a very small one, because I am not that rich ), but when I am in congress or at an official meeting, we try to dress better.

Did you wear a T shirt at your wedding ? . Yes I know, you where naked, but it was after the ceremony ...
post #29 of 47
I wish i could wear a t-shirt everywhere. I think comfort should take more importance in a work enviorment.
-Justin Winokur

-Justin Winokur

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerdoc
Dear Grover. I never said that they should wear tuxedo or top hat. I said that this executive people from microsoft, who are in representation ( I don't give a rat ass of what about they wear at office), are very conscious of the way they wear clothes. They choose to have no special clothes at all. It's their marketing choice. And yes, SJ is very aware of his image, the dark turtle neck is his signature.

I also dress this way while working (perhaps I should try to work with a top hat, let's say a very small one, because I am not that rich ), but when I am in congress or at an official meeting, we try to dress better.

Did you wear a T shirt at your wedding ? . Yes I know, you where naked, but it was after the ceremony ...

I think your explanation is very credible.

Groverat, with whom I agree that honest hard working tech guys don't care what they wear, seems not to have noticed that the pictures above show Gates, Ballmer and some other top representatives at Microsoft. It would be very arrogant if they didn't think about what they're wearing.

But there are other explanations.

The most sympathetic and probable I think is this: the pictures were from the same internal meeting with Microsoft employees and they wanted to decrease the distance with them. This would imply that Gates and Ballmer look better on public occasions, which I'll be able to investigate later. It also doesn't take into account the tastelessness of their ad campaigns and their obviously negative perception of their customers.

The least sympathetic explanation is that they want to show off how powerful they are, by being deliberately nonchalant about their clothing.
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Groverat, with whom I agree that honest hard working tech guys don't care what they wear, seems not to have noticed that the pictures above show Gates, Ballmer and some other top representatives at Microsoft.

I noticed that.
post #32 of 47
Quote:
I think your explanation is very credible.

Groverat, with whom I agree that honest hard working tech guys don't care what they wear, seems not to have noticed that the pictures above show Gates, Ballmer and some other top representatives at Microsoft. It would be very arrogant if they didn't think about what they're wearing.

But there are other explanations.

The most sympathetic and probable I think is this: the pictures were from the same internal meeting with Microsoft employees and they wanted to decrease the distance with them. This would imply that Gates and Ballmer look better on public occasions, which I'll be able to investigate later. It also doesn't take into account the tastelessness of their ad campaigns and their obviously negative perception of their customers.

The least sympathetic explanation is that they want to show off how powerful they are, by being deliberately nonchalant about their clothing.

Your explanations may be right. Perhaps we should send them an e mail and ask them why ?
I think that they will reply that Microsoft is a cool company, and that they are more focused on their products and services rather than their appearance

BTW, I saw some years ago an interview of Bill Gates on french TV, he was wearing a suit.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by groverat

Wait, why does SJ's head look so warped in this shot? Like there is some sort of micro-blackhole on his forehead sucking in the edges...
The bored one.
The bored one.
post #34 of 47
It occurs to me now that he's wearing and holding ONLY $650 of tech beauty.
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Ichiban_jay
Wait, why does SJ's head look so warped in this shot? Like there is some sort of micro-blackhole on his forehead sucking in the edges...

Or some kind of egg pushing out the forehead... And his eyes look uncanny. Very dark. Like there are cameras inside...
post #36 of 47
Or some kind of egg pushing out the forehead... And his eyes look uncanny. Very dark. Like there are cameras inside...

well, thats what happens when you make a deal with the devil to end up making one of the most wildly successful gadgets of our generation... \ and as i mentioned he looked particularly "cracked out" at wwdc after the no doubt essential, but difficult and painful decision to switch to intel
post #37 of 47
Is it because they are wankers?
post #38 of 47
Quote:
And besides as we all know you code better naked.

Anders I worry about you. Mighty mouse in one hand... your mini in the other?
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally posted by Celco
Anders I worry about you. Mighty mouse in one hand... your mini in the other?

I think you got some grammar and postition of the words wrong there but beside that spot on.
post #40 of 47
Quote:
I think you got some grammar and postition of the words wrong there but beside that spot on.

Oh well at least your working in "X" code!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Why do Microsoft chiefs dress so incredibly badly?