or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Sightings: Mac OS X 10.4.3, J2SE 5.0, xSan 1.2, iTunes 5.0.2

Sightings: Mac OS X 10.4.3, J2SE 5.0, xSan 1.2, iTunes 5.0.2

post #1 of 59
Apple this week offered its developers a variety of new pre-release software updates, according to reports already published on the Internet. Meanwhile references to a new version of iTunes also surfaced early this morning in an apparent hiccup by the company or its iTunes software update notification system.

Mac OS X 10.4.3

Another pre-release build of Mac OS X 10.4.3 was among the software seeds reportedly released by the company. Now at build 8F31, the third maintenance release to Tiger is is approaching 110MB in size and includes well over 500 minor fixes and enhancements.

Mac OS X 10.4.3 continues to include references to unreleased PowerMac and PowerBook models, according sources. The frequency in which Apple has released new builds of the update indicates that a release is on tap for the first half of October.

New Java software seed

Apple this week also offered developers a third limited distribution software seed of J2SE 5.0, which delivers improved reliability and compatibility for J2SE 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.2 or later.

Although the Java software update is not compatible with existing versions of Mac OS X for Intel, Apple has reportedly told developers to look for an updated version of J2SE 5.0 in an upcoming software seed of Mac OS X for its Developer Transition Kits.

Xsan updated focusing on bug fixes

Meanwhile, Apple continues to work on improving its network file system software. Xsan 1.2, due out later this year, will reportedly focus on stability, packing various Xsan Admin improvements and better performance when sharing an Xsan volume using AFP.

iTunes 5.0.2 in the pipeline?

According to several reader reports, Apple may also be preparing to released its third update to iTunes in four weeks. Shortly after midnight on Friday, users of iTunes 5.0.1 reported receiving notices that they could update to iTunes 5.0.2.

Users who followed the download link were only offered the option of downloading the current iTunes 5.0.1 release.
post #2 of 59
I was one of the people that it showed 5.0.2 was available, I got kind of confused when I re-installed it and it said 5.0.1 still, though.
post #3 of 59
OS version slogans

10.4.0 -> 200 new features
10.4.3 -> 500 fixes
post #4 of 59
Looks like a lot of work going on - I have a feeling that there might be some minor hardware upgrades that depend on it so early October looks very interesting. I'd hate to wait until MWSF for something new.
Ken
Ken
post #5 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
OS version slogans

10.4.0 -> 200 new features
10.4.3 -> 500 fixes

I think the number of fixes is measured relative to 10.4.0, but still...
PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
PM G5 Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM
PB G4 1.67GHz, 1.5GB RAM
post #6 of 59
iTunes 5.0.2? I wish Apple would fix the ()&#$ iPhoto bug that's causing it to beachball, even after rebuilding/reconstructing the library a few times.
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
iTunes 5.0.2? I wish Apple would fix the ()&#$ iPhoto bug that's causing it to beachball, even after rebuilding/reconstructing the library a few times.

You speak is if the problem affects everyone. It just may be an issue on your computer.

iTunes 5.0 didn't deliver nearly the number of new features that I was expecting. I think they don't want to rock the boat too much or people might fall off. "It's floating great, just leave it".
post #8 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by coolfactor
iTunes 5.0 didn't deliver nearly the number of new features that I was expecting. I think they don't want to rock the boat too much or people might fall off. "It's floating great, just leave it".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

One of the features I'd really love to see in iTunes/iPod that I doubt I ever will: the ability to assign multiple artists to a song so that duets don't have to be listed under either one or the other or neither artist in the iPod menus. Just a small thing that bugs me. More reasonably, better support for the 'grouping' tag would be nice.
post #9 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by jdbartlett
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

One of the features I'd really love to see in iTunes/iPod that I doubt I ever will: the ability to assign multiple artists to a song so that duets don't have to be listed under either one or the other or neither artist in the iPod menus. Just a small thing that bugs me. More reasonably, better support for the 'grouping' tag would be nice.

In a pinch, you could always just add the duet singer to the "composer" section, or alternately in the notes.
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by coolfactor
You speak is if the problem affects everyone. It just may be an issue on your computer.

Of course not all bugs effect everyone and any implication that this one did was unintended. This particular bug affects different users on different systems with different varieties/sizes of iPhoto libraries. It's reproducible once it "randomly" appears. I've been able to "manually" repair the libraries so iPhoto temporarily behaves properly but the trouble eventually reappears. The common denominator seems to be images imported from a Canon SD200. I haven't gotten around to the time-consuming task of hopefully isolating it with enough detail for a bug report that Apple hopefully pays attention to.

I've noticed a lot of bugs using OS X since 10.1 and this is the only one I can remember where a "reasonable" workaround has eluded me. To stop importing Canon SD200 images qualified as unreasonable because it would make iPhoto essentially useless for my family. Thus my frustration.

Quote:

More sophisticated users will always be wanting for new features (and certain bug fixes), as you and I and lots of other folks here do for iTunes. But the most important question for me is whether a particular app is useful and productive right now. iTunes 5.0.1 is, as it currently is. iPhoto 5.0.4 isn't, with that bug I described and would be without it. It's a simple matter of "want" vs. "need".

And that ends the long and and boring explanation of the point of my other post.
post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Commodus
In a pinch, you could always just add the duet singer to the "composer" section, or alternately in the notes.

Where two singers of equal importance and role sing one song (eg, a duet), who's the secondary artist? At the moment, I slam one name in the title and the other in the artist (so that I can still use the second artist in iTunes search). I'm against using composer field for anything other than classical composers, though. Makes it easier to access my classical vs rock/pop collection.
post #12 of 59
I hope 10.4.3 is the release of Tiger which is worthy of Apple's name.

Tiger is a total mess right now. Almost as buggy as 10.0.0, with inane design issues.

I hope Apple gets their act together. Longhorn is shaping up as a really solid OS, and Leopard needs to leap ahead--with QUALITY--since Longhorn is a solid knock-off of OS X which looks to be "good enough" to prevent the switchers Apple so desperately needs.
post #13 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk

I think it's likely that the iTunes bugs affect more people. I'm not sure what that iPhoto bug is, though I did have to rebuild the library once.
post #14 of 59
"Tiger is a total mess right now. Almost as buggy as 10.0.0, with inane design issues."

Apple has customized Mail and iTunes, hardly "inane". Tiger is still far more consistent and useable than alternatives.

"I hope Apple gets their act together. Longhorn is shaping up as a really solid OS, and Leopard needs to leap ahead--with QUALITY--since Longhorn is a solid knock-off of OS X which looks to be "good enough" to prevent the switchers Apple so desperately needs."

What do you know about Longhorn / Vista?! Ha, it's a demo, an early developer release, but suddenly it's a "really solid OS"? Why isn't MS going to sell it for another year if its so solid?

If you think "design issues" are paramount to an operating system gaining users, maybe you should take a look at Windows now. Windows xp has 256 color crap icons mixed in from NT. Vista will look even worse, since it will combine flashy new Aero graphics with the FisherPrice xp stuff and older NT appearances.

And as for stability and bugs, have you ever used a Windows product prior to its first service pack?
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I think it's likely that the iTunes bugs affect more people.

Yep, but the only bugs that matter are the ones that bite you.
post #16 of 59
Any sign of them switching Quartz 2D Extreme on by default?
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Somynona
Any sign of them switching Quartz 2D Extreme on by default?

I thought we all agreed to give up on that?
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #18 of 59
I have bitched and moaned in the Apple support forum ad-nauseam about this so let me say it here...Podcasts in the library is NOT good feature, hell, many users find it to be a glairing bug! Hey Apple FIX IT NOW (just make the new all inclusive library optional, nothing fancy)!!!!!!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #19 of 59
I've switched to Firefox long ago, but hey, any improvements to Safari are welcome.
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
I have bitched and moaned in the Apple support forum ad-nauseam about this so let me say it here...Podcasts in the library is NOT good feature, hell, many users find it to be a glairing bug! Hey Apple FIX IT NOW (just make the new all inclusive library optional, nothing fancy)!!!!!!

Having an option is a good idea, but I liked having them in my "library", though partly due to problems I have with how iPods handle them. I don't like how the iPods stop playing and bump back to the main menu at the end of every track in the podcast menu, and I don't like spending time figuring out what podcast channel was most recently updated. I wanted podcasts to show up in the "Recently Added" playlist, until 5.0.1, I was still using iPodder.
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer

I bet the opinion that this is a "glaring bug" would be different If podcasts had been included in the library when they were first introduced in iTunes 4.9(?)

I strongly favor a library that includes podcasts and whatever other content iTunes is managing. Or the ability to create a smart playlist that's a union of the main library and the podcast "pseudo-library" would be acceptable. The original podcast implementation was flawed because neither of those alternatives existed, causing an irreconcilably fragmented view of iTunes-managed content.

Fortunately someone on the iTunes team understood that and came up with at least a partial "fix" in v5. It ain't perfect yet but_now it's more aligned with my way of conceptualizing and using the iTunes interface. If I wanted to, I'd create a smart playlist that excludes podcasts and use that as a non-all-inclusive main pseudo-library. I have no reason to hide content in the all-inclusive main library by twiddling options, only with the ephemeral action of searching.
post #22 of 59
i'll save someone doing it later... here's the obligatory:
just installed the update, safari and tiger and iTunes is teh snappier!!
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
I've switched to Firefox long ago, but hey, any improvements to Safari are welcome.

I would use Firefox, only if the Firefox people would realise that ugly XUL widgets that look like the old school GTK 1.x widgets look bloody fugly and that they should work towards aquafying their form widgets to Cocoa - and as a side issue, who gives a flying shit whether or not aqua widgets support themes - those who wish to colour their form widgets should be dragged out into the street and shot for their crime of pointless customisation of widgets when creating websites.
post #24 of 59
i think your keyboard is missing the . key ... oh wait i see one fullstop in the paragraph above
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo

since the latest safari update it has only crashed twice on me. i was expecting worse because people were reporting a lot of safari crashes
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
i think your keyboard is missing the . key ... oh wait i see one fullstop in the paragraph above

LOL, I tend to have a rather bad habit of using hyphens rather than fullstops; probably better represents my train of though using hyphens instead of fullstops.
post #27 of 59
Quote:
since the latest safari update it has only crashed twice on me. i was expecting worse because people were reporting a lot of safari crashes

Meh, I find alot of people experiences crashes because their setup sucks; their system is loaded with third party tweakers and crap that root the system to kingdom come, coupled that with buggy drivers made by Jong Hungs dodgy third party hardware dealership, then the the icing on the cake would be dodgy memory from some dodgy online dealership.

Don't believe me; look at the number of PC users who have had BSODS and kernel panics, which are later put down to crappy memory; its not a Mac only problem.
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by kaiwai
Meh, I find alot of people experiences crashes because their setup sucks; their system is loaded with third party tweakers and crap that root the system to kingdom come, coupled that with buggy drivers made by Jong Hungs dodgy third party hardware dealership, then the the icing on the cake would be dodgy memory from some dodgy online dealership.

Don't believe me; look at the number of PC users who have had BSODS and kernel panics, which are later put down to crappy memory; its not a Mac only problem.

let me translate the first paragaph for those not from the australia/new zealand region... (i'm being cheeky today and also "root the system to kingdom come" is an incredibly hilarious expression that i'm afraid may be lost on our north american/ european/ other friends )

*Exasperated Sigh*
I find that quite a large number of computer users experience crashes because of ill-conceived system setups. Their system is loaded with third party applications which tamper with and may cause severe damage to the system. Additionally, third party hardware dealers of ill repute and likely originating from the East Asian region may contribute to driver conflicts. Finally, numerous problems can be attributed to unreliable or low-quality memory from unreliable or low-quality online dealers.

edit:
seriously though, i've been "back" in malaysia for about a year now after living in australia/california, even the official authorised mac dealers here are somewhat dodgy. can't imagine all the poor suckers here that are into cheapo dodgy peecees. i'm lucky because i went with quality names - asus, kingston, msi, nvidia nforce4, amd-in-a-box, i didn't trust any local system builders, not even dell...
post #29 of 59
Quote:
I would use Firefox, only if the Firefox people would realise that ugly XUL widgets that look like the old school GTK 1.x widgets look bloody fugly and that they should work towards aquafying their form widgets to Cocoa - and as a side issue, who gives a flying shit whether or not aqua widgets support themes - those who wish to colour their form widgets should be dragged out into the street and shot for their crime of pointless customisation of widgets when creating websites.

1.) You can change the appearance of Firefox using Firefox themes. There are several aqua themes available.
2.) I agree that custom widgets are misused, but they're not always pointless. We recently built a web app that needed a combo box and several other custom widgets (there's no combo box available for browsers, just dropdowns and input boxes.) So, we built custom dropdowns and input boxes with rounded edges using CSS2 techniques and combos using DIVs, etc. The end result was a web app that looks snappy in every browser but Safari.
post #30 of 59
Quote:
let me translate the first paragaph for those not from the australia/new zealand region... (i'm being cheeky today and also "root the system to kingdom come" is an incredibly hilarious expression that i'm afraid may be lost on our north american/ european/ other friends )

*Exasperated Sigh*
I find that quite a large number of computer users experience crashes because of ill-conceived system setups. Their system is loaded with third party applications which tamper with and may cause severe damage to the system. Additionally, third party hardware dealers of ill repute and likely originating from the East Asian region may contribute to driver conflicts. Finally, numerous problems can be attributed to unreliable or low-quality memory from unreliable or low-quality online dealers.

edit:
seriously though, i've been "back" in malaysia for about a year now after living in australia/california, even the official authorised mac dealers here are somewhat dodgy. can't imagine all the poor suckers here that are into cheapo dodgy peecees. i'm lucky because i went with quality names - asus, kingston, msi, nvidia nforce4, amd-in-a-box, i didn't trust any local system builders, not even dell...

Dell used to be reliable; the operative words are 'used to be' - now they're bloody terrible.

Alot of the problems, however, can be laid to either the vendor who assembled the board or the chipset. Best example, I had a wonderful Gigabyte motherboard, too bad it was let down by a dodgy VIA chipset

Oh, as for the name I used; just a generic name; like Joe Blogs, Fred Smith etc. etc.
post #31 of 59
Quote:
1.) You can change the appearance of Firefox using Firefox themes. There are several aqua themes available.

Yes, I am talking about the WIDGETS of the forms; the submit buttons and crap; they should be nice sexy aqua widgets that are native; so that Firefox actually LOOKS and ACTS like a native application rather than some sort of dodgy half assed Friday quality attempt at bringing a browser to MacOS X; if one is to make a browser for MacOS X, it should be atleast done to a decent quality, and a solid attempt to make it look and act like a native application, both look and feel.

Quote:
2.) I agree that custom widgets are misused, but they're not always pointless. We recently built a web app that needed a combo box and several other custom widgets (there's no combo box available for browsers, just dropdowns and input boxes.) So, we built custom dropdowns and input boxes with rounded edges using CSS2 techniques and combos using DIVs, etc. The end result was a web app that looks snappy in every browser but Safari. [/B]

I was going to say, why use a combo box when a series of tick boxes would allow them to choose either one or multiple choices?
post #32 of 59
Mac OS has to be held to higher standards than everything else--those of The Mac Way--so it's useless to point out how it's better than everything else.

Quote:
Apple has customized Mail and iTunes, hardly "inane". Tiger is still far more consistent and useable than alternatives.

"I hope Apple gets their act together. Longhorn is shaping up as a really solid OS, and Leopard needs to leap ahead--with QUALITY--since Longhorn is a solid knock-off of OS X which looks to be "good enough" to prevent the switchers Apple so desperately needs."

What do you know about Longhorn / Vista?! Ha, it's a demo, an early developer release, but suddenly it's a "really solid OS"? Why isn't MS going to sell it for another year if its so solid?

If you think "design issues" are paramount to an operating system gaining users, maybe you should take a look at Windows now. Windows xp has 256 color crap icons mixed in from NT. Vista will look even worse, since it will combine flashy new Aero graphics with the FisherPrice xp stuff and older NT appearances.

And as for stability and bugs, have you ever used a Windows product prior to its first service pack?
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Yes, I am talking about the WIDGETS of the forms; the submit buttons and crap; they should be nice sexy aqua widgets that are native; so that Firefox actually LOOKS and ACTS like a native application rather than some sort of dodgy half assed Friday quality attempt at bringing a browser to MacOS X; if one is to make a browser for MacOS X, it should be atleast done to a decent quality, and a solid attempt to make it look and act like a native application, both look and feel.
I was going to say, why use a combo box when a series of tick boxes would allow them to choose either one or multiple choices?

You raise a fair point about native support for the Aqua theme as opposed to Firefox own browser themes.

A combo box is not the same as a series of checkboxes. Either multiple-selection select boxes or checkboxes are sufficient for instances where a user can make one or more selections. A combo box is a box into which a user can either type or click a dropdown. A checkbox system that autopopulates an alternative input or an checkbox system with an additional 'other, please specify:' option is not a viable solution when dealing with upwards of 70 selections. It would take up lots of space. Instead, we created a dropdown solution where someone begins typing in an input box and selections in the dropdown are eliminated as they type. Or, they just type in the input box (new item not on list). Or, they just make a selection, using the combo as one would a regular select box.

Perhaps more pressingly, a browser should strive to support W3C standards, no matter how unlikely they seem.
post #34 of 59
Quote:
I would use Firefox, only if the Firefox people would realise that ugly XUL widgets that look like the old school GTK 1.x widgets look bloody fugly and that they should work towards aquafying their form widgets to Cocoa.

I am far more concerned about the program behaving the way I want it to than I am over looks.

I would use Safari if it had any sort of open extensibility that I could use, there's no easy extensibility on the user side. Maybe there is, but I can use the same development efforts of Firefox Linux and FF Windows users, the same extensions generally work on the three computing platforms that I use.

I use Firefox to block web annoyances, FlashBlock, Adblock and the ability to turn off image animation, block certain web sites, certain images. There are a lot of other extensions that I use to make the web easier that have no adequate counterpart in Safari. To me, blocking excessive ads and stopping animation ads on sites with text and still-image content is more important than pretty buttons.

There's only PithHelmet and for me it thoughroughly misbehaves with gmail.
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I am far more concerned about the program behaving the way I want it to than I am over looks.

I would use Safari if it had any sort of open extensibility that I could use, there's no easy extensibility on the user side. Maybe there is, but I can use the same development efforts of Firefox Linux and FF Windows users, the same extensions generally work on the three computing platforms that I use.

I use Firefox to block web annoyances, FlashBlock, Adblock and the ability to turn off image animation, block certain web sites, certain images. There are a lot of other extensions that I use to make the web easier that have no adequate counterpart in Safari. To me, blocking excessive ads and stopping animation ads on sites with text and still-image content is more important than pretty buttons.

There's only PithHelmet and for me it thoughroughly misbehaves with gmail.

You know, after careful consideration of how you use the net, I think a better browser for you would be Lynx.
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
You know, after careful consideration of how you use the net, I think a better browser for you would be Lynx.

I don't think so. My issues with the net right now are with needlessly intrusive and distracting ads, not all images.
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by danielEran
"Tiger is a total mess right now. Almost as buggy as 10.0.0, with inane design issues."

Spare us, please. This isn't about Windows being better. It's that Tiger is buggy and flawed.

Here's a few things to chew on:

1. Oops, we forgot to put in a way to delete widget
2. Oops, The dashboard is a highway for viruses. Probably need a better process to install them
3. Let's break sync options into 3 different applications, all of which you need open to sync all of your devises.
4. 6, count em, 6 gui experiences. Number is compliance with HIG? 1

Finally, this is the largest bug fix in Apple's history.

No one here was saying Microsoft is better. Obviously they suck more.

But Apple dropped the ball with Tiger. And as Apple customers, we need to keep Apple honest and demand only the best from them, or they will end up like Microsoft, where "good enough" is fine for most people
post #38 of 59
Has anyone had the problem where, after installing Tiger, the iChat setup goes really slow and when it reaches the end, it completely stops responding, so you can't IM? I've done everything to try to fix it and I just can't figure out what's wrong. If it's a bug, I sure hope it's fixed in 10.4.3, and if not, could someone try and help me?
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by unregistered
Has anyone had the problem where, after installing Tiger, the iChat setup goes really slow and when it reaches the end, it completely stops responding, so you can't IM? I've done everything to try to fix it and I just can't figure out what's wrong. If it's a bug, I sure hope it's fixed in 10.4.3, and if not, could someone try and help me?

try EITHER 1. or 2.

download onyx. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582
click on "automation", check all the check boxes and click execute. restart machine, see if things improve

do a completely fresh install of Tiger, enter a "temporary user" and update to 10.4.2. restart. make a new admin user, then use this user as your main user instead of the user you set up when you first installed tiger. restart, login as this new user, things may be better

a bit of voodoo but you *were* asking for suggestions
good luck mate i could be completely talking out of my ass but these "techniques" have most definitely worked for me several times whenever i ran into something really weird in os X.4
post #40 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by BWhaler

But Apple dropped the ball with Tiger. And as Apple customers, we need to keep Apple honest and demand only the best from them, or they will end up like Microsoft, where "good enough" is fine for most people

Ok, here's what pisses me off with some of you (I'm not saying that you fall into this category, but I know some that are complaining do):

When Tiger was in its later dev stages, some people were so impatient and anxious to get their hands on Tiger that they were crying like little babies begging Apple to release it.

Apple released it. These same people that were shedding tears now realized that Tiger wasn't actually up to snuff and was causing problems on their machine.

Now, I'm not specifically targeting you, BWhaler...but those that did have that attitude should calm the f down.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Sightings: Mac OS X 10.4.3, J2SE 5.0, xSan 1.2, iTunes 5.0.2