or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple planning launch of video iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple planning launch of video iPod

post #1 of 53
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer has begun production of a new version of its iPod digital music player that will be capable of playing videos, AppleInsider has learned.

Reliable sources believe the iPod could be introduced as early as next week, possibly around the time Apple releases results from its fourth fiscal quarter of 2005.

Although details are scarce, sources who claim to have seen the new iPod describe it as being similar to Apple's 60GB iPod photo player, but several millimeters thinner.

The device reportedly sports a smaller click-wheel akin to that of the iPod nano's, making way for a larger, higher-resolution color display that extends further down the face of the device.

The release of the iPod video is expected to be accompanied by a "major update" to Apple's iTunes music store that will include a significant number of music videos and other short video content.

Apple, which had been updating the "Music Video" segment of its iTunes download service on a regular basis, stopped posting new music video content last month, leading to speculation that a major content update was brewing.

Sources have also recently reported sightings of a new Apple wireless device, which is similar to Apple's AirPort Express wireless base station, but also includes a video out option. However, it's unclear if the long-rumored device will coincide with the introduction of a video capable iPod.

Apple recently introduced an ultra-thin version of its iPod called the iPod nano. According to well-placed sources, the company has modeled to sell 3 million of the players each month during the holiday shopping season.

Update: The aforementioned AirPort Express-like product may be an add-on module for the video iPod that will let users play videos on an external display. It's unclear when such a device would debut.
post #2 of 53
Wow!

Unexpected that it should happen so quickly but, given proposed specs, I'm unsure of real value of small scale Video iPod? Let's see what happens.

Very excited by video capable Airport Express......
post #3 of 53
Bring it!
post #4 of 53
Its just been confirmed that there is going to be a Special Apple event to be held on the 12th of October.

Engadget has more info:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000707061794/
post #5 of 53
I'm all for cool new iPods but lets see some new Macs already.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
Always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead

When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I...
Reply
post #6 of 53
Bring it on baby! would definatly buy one..

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

Reply
post #7 of 53
Quote:
I'm unsure of real value of small scale Video iPod

Me too. I'm thinking very LITTLE value, for most buyers. Apple would be setting itself up for bad press when it doesn't grab the buying public.

So instead of seeing a "Video iPod" or "iPod Video," I expect we'll just see a new MUSIC iPod, that, as AI states, is "capable of playing videos."

Video as "one more extra" makes sense--that's the way to market the capability. A bigger screen is useful for finding music anyway.

If Apple promotes video any more heavily than that, then the must have some unexpected new way to make portable video attractive to more than a handful of people. I'd be surprised, but you never know.
post #8 of 53
A lot of earlier speculation centered around Apple using Intel's xScale CPUs in video iPods. I wonder if the iPod will be the first fruit of the Apple-Intel alliance.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
If Apple promotes video any more heavily than that, then the must have some unexpected new way to make portable video attractive to more than a handful of people. I'd be surprised, but you never know.

Apple has repeatedly said they don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a portable player for movies and the like. But music videos... I could see that being fun. And they really need to find something to drive upgrades to bigger hard disks. 10.5's rumored portable home directory feature is okay, but not likely to be enough to drive iPods buyers into the 100+ GB range.

Hey, maybe it'll have a UMD movie feature. Apple and Sony could make an agreement for Sony's music/video content and Apple's support in their players...
post #10 of 53
Yes, music videos are a smart starting point--one Apple has ALREADY been getting into.

Also, a video iPod may not have much appeal as such, but video downloads to your COMPUTER are another matter. Video iTunes makes perfect sense to me.

Plus, videos DO take a lot less time to download than movies or TV shows
post #11 of 53
The description is EXACTLY what I said it would be, a Nano wheel with a larger display.

About time.
post #12 of 53
What about the possibility of Apple simply renewing the standard iPod line, and giving it the ability to play small videos, e.g. music videos?
post #13 of 53
does any one have any mock ups of it? i cant really picture how a regular sized ipod with a nano click wheel and a bigger screen can look good.
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by TRowell
Wow!

Unexpected that it should happen so quickly but, given proposed specs, I'm unsure of real value of small scale Video iPod? Let's see what happens.

Very excited by video capable Airport Express......

The real value of video on the iPod is the same as the value of photos on the iPod. Along with showing pictures of your kids, you could also show iMovie clips.
post #15 of 53
I would be surprised if Apple intends this to be a prime vehicle for viewing video. I do wish it could let me record to it from my Canon XL 2 instead of having to buy a specialized unit. Canon said that it was just a matter of Apple supporting the file type.

That would make me buy one.
post #16 of 53
This thing is still screwed up. It said that my post didn't go through, so I posted it again.
post #17 of 53
I'll bet we have 10 threads in 10 forums about this by day's end...
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #18 of 53
Some guy over at MacRumors claims he heard a report on a BBC radio station that the iPod video would be announced at television centre in London as they will be among the first to supply video content over an updated iTunes store.

As it happens, the BBC are already showing some of their shows online before they air on television. Plus, they have just started a second phase of trials for an Integrated Media Player (iMP) that allows broadband users in the UK to download any program shown on the BBC up to seven days after it has aired.

Sounds plausable.

EDIT: Someone else on the same forum has just posted that Apple are merely hiring broadcast facilities from the BBC so they can relay the keynote address. My bad
"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh" Alex: A Clockwork Orange
Reply
"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh" Alex: A Clockwork Orange
Reply
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by glen

As it happens, the BBC are already showing some of their shows online before they air on television. Plus, they have just started a second phase of trials for an Integrated Media Player (iMP) that allows broadband users in the UK to download any program shown on the BBC up to seven days after it has aired.

The BBC has no problem doing this because (a) they own the content, and (b) people already pay a tax to watch the shows, which gets by the whole need for copyright protections and reimbursement and the like. But don't be expecting NBC to start showing "Joey" on its website or anything. Not that I'm sure anyone would care if Joey were available for viewing on-line, since no one watches it over-the-air. But that's not the point.
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
I'll bet we have 10 threads in 10 forums about this by day's end...

... cluttered with ridiculous, mostly-redundant comments and speculations that make it too much trouble looking for any insights that haven't already occurred to anyone who's thinking clearly about this. Thanks, but I'll find more interesting things to do and read/write about while waiting for next week's event.

Btw, comments/speculations on this particular forum are generally the more interesting ones.
post #21 of 53
Shouldn't these 2 threads be merged?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #22 of 53
thinksecret is reporting that no ipod will be released on the 12th; powerbooks and powermacs will be released instead. this report sounds more plausible to me seeing as we are only weeks removed from the nano unveiling.
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggz
thinksecret is reporting that no ipod will be released on the 12th; powerbooks and powermacs will be released instead. this report sounds more plausible to me seeing as we are only weeks removed from the nano unveiling.

The fight between AI and Think Secrect, WOW this event is getting cooler by the minute!!!
post #24 of 53
The plot thickens. Engadget have confirmed what the poster on MacRumors said about the BBC letting slip about the iPod video. The show was broadcast on their DAB radio station - BBC 6 Music, but the particular program has mysteriously disappeared from their "listen again" service.
"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh" Alex: A Clockwork Orange
Reply
"Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh" Alex: A Clockwork Orange
Reply
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by ThinkDifferent
The fight between AI and Think Secrect, WOW this event is getting cooler by the minute!!!

bragging rights are on the line
post #26 of 53
Look, I finally see the wisdom of the vPod.

If it has video out.

60 gigs is a lot of DIVX oooor MPEG-4 videos.

Instead of lugging a case of DVDs...ya know?

Physical removable media might be dying, giving way to hard disks and flash...

Just a thought. Could be a market.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
Me too. I'm thinking very LITTLE value, for most buyers. Apple would be setting itself up for bad press when it doesn't grab the buying public.

So instead of seeing a "Video iPod" or "iPod Video," I expect we'll just see a new MUSIC iPod, that, as AI states, is "capable of playing videos."

Video as "one more extra" makes sense--that's the way to market the capability. A bigger screen is useful for finding music anyway.

If Apple promotes video any more heavily than that, then the must have some unexpected new way to make portable video attractive to more than a handful of people. I'd be surprised, but you never know.

I'd like to see Karaoke or some sort of lyrics support. That's the kind of "video" I'd care about.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by jiggz
thinksecret is reporting that no ipod will be released on the 12th; powerbooks and powermacs will be released instead. this report sounds more plausible to me seeing as we are only weeks removed from the nano unveiling.

Sounds like "See Apple, no more leaks from us. Don't sue us!"
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Reply
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Boodlums
I'd like to see Karaoke or some sort of lyrics support. That's the kind of "video" I'd care about.

Karaoke, nooooo...
post #30 of 53
Do you think the prices will be the same of the ipod of now or do you think it will be a bit more like the ipod photo in the beginning?
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
Look, I finally see the wisdom of the vPod.

If it has video out.

60 gigs is a lot of DIVX oooor MPEG-4 videos.

Instead of lugging a case of DVDs...ya know?

Physical removable media might be dying, giving way to hard disks and flash...

Just a thought. Could be a market.

Only with a video store or a legal way to rip DVD's.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Only with a video store or a legal way to rip DVD's.

Umm why? The iPod never stopped illegal MP3s being played, why should the same be said of this video iPod? If it can play music videos, which can be obtained in QT format on "enhanced" CDs sometimes, it must be true that you could play any QT movie on the player. Just because Apple may not provide a way to rip DVDs doesn't mean they wont allow they playing of QT files which just happen to be feature length movies.

Of course, they could say that anything over 15mins can't be played to prevent anything other than music videos being played. I think this is highly unlikely as the reason they included MP3 playback on the iPod - it will drive sales.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #33 of 53
This BBC angle is intriguing. I can definitely see the value in brief videocasts of the morning news donloadable to your iPod, clips of bbc programmes, sketches, jokes etc.

V. interesting that this is all playing alongside BBC's trial of their IMP - downloadable programmes to your computer.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by TRowell
This BBC angle is intriguing. I can definitely see the value in brief videocasts of the morning news donloadable to your iPod, clips of bbc programmes, sketches, jokes etc.

V. interesting that this is all playing alongside BBC's trial of their IMP - downloadable programmes to your computer.

Quote:
Originally nabbed from the BBCiMP site
Moving to mobile

During this trial, the BBC is testing the ability to move downloaded programmes across to portable devices. If you have been given such a device by the BBC, you can transfer content by connecting the device to your PC and clicking on the Transfer to Mobile button on the left-hand side of the screen.

Portable devices capable of playing videos eh? One would have to assume that if the iPod video were true and if Apple and the BBC were in cahoots, then there would be a Mac version of the software. In fairness, there is normally a systems requirements thing for these things (saying you need a windows machine), but I can't find a list on the BBCiMP site. Could this mean it works with Macs? If it does, I would allow that to be near conclusive proof that BBC and Apple are in cahoots and thus there is a iPod video.

However if it's not this is not proof that there isn't an iPod video.

I would mention at this point that Apple and the beeb teaming up would be a great alliance as the BBC seem to have getting their content out to the world as a high priority lately. I know of no other network with the content online as they do. And as a Brit, this is extremely comforting.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #35 of 53
I think the BBC broadcast program uses windows media player in it's program.
post #36 of 53
With reference to the BBC iMP. These are the system requirements:

15. What do I need to use iMP?

FOR PC (and the High Definition tests):

A broadband connection at home - 512kbps or higher
Windows 2000 or XP, with IE5.5 or later installed.
(This trial unfortunately does not support Apple Macs dues to the Digital Rights Management being Windows based)
Pentium 4 or above
512MB of RAM or above
64 MB video card
800x600 screen resolution or above
Windows Media player version 9 or above
Hard disk space of 4Mb for the iMP application and a minimum of 500Mbfree space for downloading programmes.
ActiveX controls need to be enabled from within the IE browser (this is normally a default)
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Only with a video store or a legal way to rip DVD's.

See Universal Studios.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
Umm why? The iPod never stopped illegal MP3s being played, why should the same be said of this video iPod? If it can play music videos, which can be obtained in QT format on "enhanced" CDs sometimes, it must be true that you could play any QT movie on the player. Just because Apple may not provide a way to rip DVDs doesn't mean they wont allow they playing of QT files which just happen to be feature length movies.

Of course, they could say that anything over 15mins can't be played to prevent anything other than music videos being played. I think this is highly unlikely as the reason they included MP3 playback on the iPod - it will drive sales.

Um, it is the difference between geeks buying vPods and everyone else buying vPods. iPods never stopped illegal mp3's, but iPods didn't make money until their was value in the iTunes store.

Sure, I have thought for a long time that QT content and music vids and animation shorts would create their own markets for such devices, but I was talking about actually Apple making money in a real market, not Apple enabling an underground market.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
See Universal Studios.

I see "movies in theaters."
I see "DVD's"
I see video on demand.
I see trailer downloads.

I don't see what you see.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #40 of 53
there is a wide spectrum of ipods that can enable video:

- a "roachmotel" type of unit that only allows PSP-level (272p)
or denser (480p with more decoder and/or screen heroics)
with no external display connection to please hollywood.

- ditto with poor (analog-only S-video) connectivity.

- one with a bluetooth addon which only controls an imac mini or
other mac that does the actual hosting and vga/dvi output
to a viewing room display.

- embedded 802.11g connection to actually sling undecoded ipod-hosted
video around to external devices.

- full-house miracle version that does HD (>=720p), H.264 decode,
coupled with introduction of 802.11 b/a/n/g AV express (requiring
bullt-in quicktime decode in the bricks).

i find #3, an ipod w/bluetooth as video remote controller the most
useful. that way, apple sells more minis, doesn't need to jam
whatever dog's breakfast that allows set tops like the mini
to do DVI, with 480p max at the iVideo store to keep content
master owners from coronary wards. the bluetooth would be
useful for other things, like headphones.

if it had a larger 272p screen, that would be nice but not as useful
as the wireless connection to control the good stuff (including
those 2-8 megapixel photos everyone owns) at a bigger
mac-hosted display. apple would do better to leverage its
reputation for high-quality multimedia on a larger display (an
apple 42" 1080p hdtv would be timely) than by rolling out
some poor crippled handheld.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple planning launch of video iPod