or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Apple "One More Thing" Event next week! - Page 5

post #161 of 291
"iTunes + iPod Video" could be read in different ways.

"A video about iTunes and iPod" or "iTunes and iPod Video products"

If its the first, its nothing new, if its the second, then its iPod Video.

But wouldn't they write it as iPod video with a small v? As in iPod shuffle, iPod mini, iPod nano...
post #162 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by PookJP
South African Apple Site Slip

This seems to be relevant.

Already debunked.

It's a 'Video' of 'iTunes + iPod', not 'iTunes' + 'iPod Video'.
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/

post #163 of 291
i'm thinking no ipod video. instead the apple projector...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #164 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by othello

Careful, last time I mentioned this some guy who's official duty it is to debunk Apple projector rumors jumped all over me.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #165 of 291
Was in the Regent Street store last night buying a few things....

Asked the guy who served me whether he was ready for Wednesday - he gave me a knowing look and said that it would be a big day.

He wouldn't tell me what it was but when I said that a video ipod didn't seem right given recent iPod announcements - he agreed and said that it wasn't a video ipod.

Gave the impression that it was powerbook related.
post #166 of 291
Powerbooks are due, but unless Apple has pulled off a dual G4 (or G5) design, I can't see how big it can be.

post #167 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat
Powerbooks are due, but unless Apple has pulled off a dual G4 (or G5) design, I can't see how big it can be.

No way for a dual G4 (or G5), so if it is Powerbook, I guess it has to do with higher resolution displays (hopefully HD) with a h.264-decoding-capable GPU. Now the question is: do Quicktime/DVD player support hardware h.264 decoding, or if they don't, can this be added easily with some CI/CV trick?
post #168 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by macdoginthefog
Was in the Regent Street store last night buying a few things....

Asked the guy who served me whether he was ready for Wednesday - he gave me a knowing look and said that it would be a big day.

He wouldn't tell me what it was but when I said that a video ipod didn't seem right given recent iPod announcements - he agreed and said that it wasn't a video ipod.

Gave the impression that it was powerbook related.

Yeah. I was working at the Regent Street store last night and this guy came in trying to get us all to say something about the Big Event tomorrow, and we all decided just to take the piss and give him a look like we were trying to tell him he had a bogey hanging out of his nose.

Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #169 of 291
Responding to comments that the PowerMac G5 case still isn't large enough, Apple announces the eight-processor PowerMac G5, suitable for use as a room divider. A single-processor model will be available which can double as a bookcase.
post #170 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
No way for a dual G4 (or G5), so if it is Powerbook, I guess it has to do with higher resolution displays (hopefully HD) with a h.264-decoding-capable GPU. Now the question is: do Quicktime/DVD player support hardware h.264 decoding, or if they don't, can this be added easily with some CI/CV trick?

I don't think anybody can say 'no way' to 2x G4 or G5, but I agree it's very unlikely.

Higher res LCDs is still playing catchup, so no biggy. Hardware h.264 would be nice but again not that essential.

None of that will make me upgrade my Alu Powerbook 1.25.

post #171 of 291
(Smacking him lightly on the face) "Kormac, can you hear me? For God's sake wake up man!" (Repeats smacking to no avail. Grabs collar and begins to shake Kormac's body.) "Somebody get the paddles! We need to shock him!"
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #172 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino23
Careful, last time I mentioned this some guy who's official duty it is to debunk Apple projector rumors jumped all over me.

Wouldn't be talking about me would you?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #173 of 291
Quote:
I don't think anybody can say 'no way' to 2x G4 or G5, but I agree it's very unlikely.

Yeah, my statement is exaggerated. Never say never, but as you already pointed out, it is very unlikely.
post #174 of 291
Quote:

I know that delivery times are not a definitive factor when looking for updates, but they can provide backup to existing rumors. Therefore, I would like to point out that the delivery time on PowerBooks from the UK store have just been bumped up a few days for the 15in and 17in models.
post #175 of 291
History has shown that any hubbub about an upcoming Apple product in the mainstream media generally turns out to be true. I've only seen articles about new iPods (maybe video) and Macs. There's been nothing about media centers. Nothing about Airport A/V, and nothing about tablets. That leads me to believe that the "One more thing" is going to have iPods and possibly a G5 Powerbook or the first of the Intel Macs.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #176 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
History has shown that any hubbub about an upcoming Apple product in the mainstream media generally turns out to be true. I've only seen articles about new iPods (maybe video) and Macs. There's been nothing about media centers. Nothing about Airport A/V, and nothing about tablets. That leads me to believe that the "One more thing" is going to have iPods and possibly a G5 Powerbook or the first of the Intel Macs.

I still think G5 PowerBooks are a little far fetched - after all, part of the reason for going to Intel is that you can't get a G5 into a laptop. So I'm going to stick my money on an iPod update (maybe not video, just 5th gen), and PowerBooks G4 updates. Maybe the Mac mini will be mentioned as well since it is unofficially updated already. Other than than, I am unsure. PowerMacs are possible, as is another Aiport Express type device. Only time will tell.
post #177 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by othello

How about an Apple Projector in an iPod? Who is going to watch video on a dinky little screen, so instead everyone will be projecting onto the nearest wall as they walk along. Of course there will no doubt be issues with the legality of presenting your content to more than 8 people at a time, but maybe it'll come with decoder glasses so to everyone else it'll just look like a light show.

Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #178 of 291
EchoStar gets it. This is the next step in PVR technology and the game Apple should've beat EchoStar to...

http://news.com.com/EchoStar+debuts+...3004&subj=news

Here's hoping.
post #179 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by G_Warren
I know that delivery times are not a definitive factor when looking for updates, but they can provide backup to existing rumors. Therefore, I would like to point out that the delivery time on PowerBooks from the UK store have just been bumped up a few days for the 15in and 17in models.

I'm 99% sure 6-8 days is a store code for updating.

post #180 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Sport73
EchoStar gets it. This is the next step in PVR technology and the game Apple should've beat EchoStar to...

http://news.com.com/EchoStar+debuts+...3004&subj=news

Here's hoping.

Someone has already beaten EchoStar (and Apple) for over a year now...

iZak

I think it compares favorably to EchoStar's device. On the other hand, if Apple would add AV i/o to the Mac mini...
8)
post #181 of 291
Quote:
Already debunked.

It's a 'Video' of 'iTunes + iPod', not 'iTunes' + 'iPod Video'.

I think you mean, "alternately interpreted."

It's going to be a video-enabled iPod.
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #182 of 291
I think you guys aren't thinking like Steve...

Steve knew he had to go public early with the Intel swap in order to have a smooth transition to Intel when the time came. Steve HATES going public with things early; as we all know, he lives for dramatic surprise introductions.

He also knew that going public with the Intel swap news would obviously stall Mac sales while some people waited for the new models. Steve would not want to delay all those sales, and if he didn't have a plan to mitigate the situation he would not have given the developers so much time to perfect their Intel code. The amount of public transition time is way more than is necessary. Since Steve doesn't appear to be worried that the transition will stall Mac sales, he must have a plan to mitigate the issue.

So the question is, how best to mitigate the Intel purchase delayers and make them want a Mac now? The answer is, remove as many reasons as possible for someone to wait for the Intel machines.

Thus, I think the people saying we are only getting a speed bump are dead wrong. I think we will be getting an all new set of machines, likely based on the new G5's. These machines will likely have all the features contemplated for the Intel line, which Steve may even tell us outright will have the same form factor as these new releases, 'only the CPU will change.'

Thus, the Intel swap becomes as much of a non-event as possible and current Mac sales don't stall right as the iPod Halo Effect is in full swing. This lets Steve give the developers plenty of time to deal with the switch and lets Apple breathe easier and take its sweet time.

I think the PowerBook/PowerMac's will be the last to change to Intel. They will test drive the MacTels with the consumer line to test their Intel designs and possibly their "hackability."

Do you really care if your new machine has Intel? I don't. And I'm all ready to buy my new PowerBook G5.

Corey
(Amateur Prognosticator)

PS: IF there is a video iPod, I think it will be designed for music videos and music and not intended for movie viewing. Plus, while an Apple iMovies service is inevitable, I don't think it's a near-term event. They will test drive that concept with the music videos.
post #183 of 291
i don't think it will be current hardware upgrades.... the target audience for these stunts is too wide.. jobs want them to have a jawdropping reaction like "woah, apple is good.. look what they invented now.. nobody has that.. i'll take two!"

so i think we'll see something entirely new, or something for the broader audience (ipod related, perhaps ivideo store or videopod..)

just my thoughts
post #184 of 291
The Video pod is such a stupid idea I can't believe you guy's haven't talked your self's out of it yet.

The biggest problem with it is the broad appeal. It is just not the same as an iPod. iPod music = simple, elegant, stylish. vPod = car accident, screen too small, I can't see where I'm going, or the movie I'm watching.
I don't see Apple pushing a second rate idea, that has no real dominant market appeal. It's a total gadget niche market product. That curtain only signifies an unveiling of something. The theater didn't invent the curtain.

My 2¢ Move past the vPod, and think of some other possibilities.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #185 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
The Video pod is such a stupid idea I can't believe you guy's haven't talked your self's out of it yet.

The biggest problem with it is the broad appeal. It is just not the same as an iPod. iPod music = simple, elegant, stylish. vPod = car accident, screen too small, I can't see where I'm going, or the movie I'm watching.
I don't see Apple pushing a second rate idea, that has no real dominant market appeal. It's a total gadget niche market product. That curtain only signifies an unveiling of something. The theater didn't invent the curtain.

My 2¢ Move past the vPod, and think of some other possibilities.

No kidding! What if, instead of the vPod, Apple added better video out capabilities to the iPod so that people could carry their video content around with them? All you'd need to do is plug in a little composite video adapter (like the iBooks used to have) to your TV, and whatever videos you've made in iMovie, or whatever photos you want to share from iPhoto could just be displayed on the screen?

Wouldn't that be neat and handy? They could call it something sexy, like vPod.
post #186 of 291
or perhaps they started their own recordlabel since they seem to have trouble with those selfish big boys

note to apple: stay focused on os x too! i still want a descent finder replacement!
post #187 of 291
And all I want to do is carry photos, and little movies around with me all the time, and be the annoying @ss that goes to peoples homes trying to plug that freaking thing in. <-<- That guy would come face to face with a shotgun real quick!
onlooker

onlooker

post #188 of 291
Quote:
And all I want to do is carry photos, and little movies around with me all the time, and be the annoying @ss that goes to peoples homes trying to plug that freaking thing in. <-<- That guy would come face to face with a shotgun real quick!

No shit. That would suck ass at Christmas when someone wanted to show a movie of a grandkid. Assholes. TAKE PICTURES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!
post #189 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
No shit. That would suck ass at Christmas when someone wanted to show a movie of a grandkid. Assholes. TAKE PICTURES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!

You can do this stuff already with iDVD. What's the fuss to make a huge production out if it, and try, and sell it year round? LIke I said... Try thinking of something else. This thing is a tanker. It will be a 1000% failure compared to the iPod.
Adding the functioning capability to the iPod is no big deal, but adding all the extra cost to your primary music device across the board is not the greatest idea, and making a giant production out of it is somewhat of a bummer. Spare me for not being an enthusiastic Generation iMac baby.
onlooker

onlooker

post #190 of 291
Quote:
You can do this stuff already with iDVD.

Really? I can carry iDVD around with me in my pocket and then just whip it out and show someone a video? I must have missed that function.

Quote:
What's the fuss to make a huge production out if it, and try, and sell it year round? LIke I said... Try thinking of something else. This thing is a tanker. It will be a 1000% failure compared to the iPod.

The moment you let go of the bizarre notion that everyone here is talking about watching the video only on the iPod, the less frustrating the continued conversation will be.

Quote:
Adding the functioning capability to the iPod is no big deal, but adding all the extra cost to your primary music device across the board is not the greatest idea, and making a giant production out of it is somewhat of a bummer. Spare me for not being an enthusiastic Generation iMac baby. [/B]

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you're saying here.

Look. If you want to make an argument against some kind of vPod, you should focus on how music is ambient while video is immersive. Additionally, you should focus on how we can interrupt music without frustration, but not video. You might also point out that the iPod hard drive would burst into flames if it played back video (but that the new flash ones would be fine). You might also point out that at the moment there is legal way to get the kind of content you'd want on it unless you create it yourself.

I'm just saying.
post #191 of 291
How about a video iPod that was also a camera/camcorder?
post #192 of 291
Wouldn't a video iPod have to be quite a bit larger than the current models to dissapate the heat generated from the drive spinning frequently while playing video? I thought apple said something about that, like heat generated if you used an iPod as an HDD a lot would drastically shorten its life. I guess they could use a big flash buffer but then the price goes up a bunch.

...still thinkin something new... 8)

Edit: heh, mindwinter beat me to it
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
post #193 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey
How about a video iPod that was also a camera/camcorder?

I started to laugh when I read that, but phones have 'em so why not?
post #194 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Yeah. I was working at the Regent Street store last night and this guy came in trying to get us all to say something about the Big Event tomorrow, and we all decided just to take the piss and give him a look like we were trying to tell him he had a bogey hanging out of his nose.

I thought the official policy is Apple store reps don't know about the new products until the announcement is made and also they can't talk about future products or even go on rumour sites! I heard new products were wrapped in black plastic although you obviously do know what the inventory is!
post #195 of 291
any idea what time the keynote will be?
post #196 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by cj171
any idea what time the keynote will be?

It's 6PM in the UK - I don't remember the time in San Jose - where the keynote is - I think it's 2PM
post #197 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
How about an Apple Projector in an iPod? Who is going to watch video on a dinky little screen, so instead everyone will be projecting onto the nearest wall as they walk along. Of course there will no doubt be issues with the legality of presenting your content to more than 8 people at a time, but maybe it'll come with decoder glasses so to everyone else it'll just look like a light show.

I think I'll submit a patent for the floorPod. Take that iPod nano hanging from it's lanyard and project the picture down onto the tops of your shoes. Everybody can walk around staring at the floor.

Obese people and pregnant women need not apply.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #198 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by hdcool
i don't think it will be current hardware upgrades.... the target audience for these stunts is too wide.. jobs want them to have a jawdropping reaction like "woah, apple is good.. look what they invented now.. nobody has that.. i'll take two!"

so i think we'll see something entirely new, or something for the broader audience (ipod related, perhaps ivideo store or videopod..)

just my thoughts

It looks like Apple just cut prices to resellers on in all-stock Powermacs and Powerbooks (no BTO) with purchase of Applecare. Moving out the last of the inventory. Refresh imminent.
post #199 of 291
erm.... power macs are shipping in 24hrs on the UK site!??

Rod
post #200 of 291
Does Apple ever notify customers in advance? I was in Aldi's today and they had 512K Shuffles for $59.99 and 1Gig Shuffles for $79.99. I was just wondering if they were about to update them too?

Well I couldn't pass it up so I bought two 512's for my two youngest kids, that's almost a 2for1 deal.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!