or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Apple "One More Thing" Event next week! - Page 6

post #201 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
LIke I said... Try thinking of something else. This thing is a tanker. It will be a 1000% failure compared to the iPod.

Adding the functioning capability to the iPod is no big deal...

But if they just add support for basic Quicktime playback to the "primary music player" iPod, rather than making a brand new vPod... Much like the iPod photo wasn't a stand-alone photo viewer, it was just a new function for the regular iPod - and now even the Nano supports photos. Then there would be no "compared to the iPod" because the vPod would be iPod. As you say, adding that functionality would, it seems, be no big deal.
post #202 of 291
If there is a video iPod.... everyone thinks it will be for movies/videos... i can see i starting out small with video Podcasting. Think about it...diggnation has video podcasts... i'd download and watch it. I'd record stuff once aweek and have a VPodcast myself using my iSight... that would open everything up!
post #203 of 291
Those curtains are telling me that this presentation might have something to do with Video Podcasts and iTunes Videos, but I wouldn't rule out something
for the home theater at all.

Podcasts are rapidly becoming mainstream and Video Podcasting gives nearly anyone the ability to create and broadcast anything they can think of on the web, so a new Video iPod at this event does seem to make sense.

That "one more thing" could be a new PowerBook sporting Apple's recently
patented internal video cam, but that would indeed be a major change in the chassis design.

Think Secret's prediction that the new PowerBook and PowerMac models
will both be using DDR2 RAM has me very curious.

Although most people are expecting an updated PPC release, a change
over to DDR2 RAM has me wondering if just maybe the new motherboards
will follow the X86 architecture earlier than expected.

I'm totally shooting in the dark here, but we might see both an Intel based PowerBook AND a dual core PPC based PowerMac .
post #204 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree
Those curtains are telling me that this presentation might have something to do with Video Podcasts and iTunes Videos, but I wouldn't rule out something
for the home theater at all.

Podcasts are rapidly becoming mainstream and Video Podcasting gives nearly anyone the ability to create and broadcast anything they can think of on the web, so a new Video iPod at this event does seem to make sense.

http://www.jeremyhubert.com/os-x/ipo...2-apple-event/
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #205 of 291
and now think secret agrees with video ipods
post #206 of 291
iPod Video, VideoPodcasts, iTunes Music Videos, new Powerbook g5 low power, and new dual-core power mac's! OUCH!

post #207 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by cj171
and now think secret agrees with video ipods

They've now, conveniently, covered all the bases.

"We were right!"

Just wait another 2 hours and you'll see them post the "Apple PVR + Projector" prediction.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #208 of 291
I have been reading crap for days, but the one thing that I missed...

What time is the shin-dig happening? CST of course.
A new fan of FileMaker...
A new fan of FileMaker...
post #209 of 291
apparently 12PM CST from what i've gathered from other posts...that couldn't come soon enough to stop this crazy speculation
post #210 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
I think I'll submit a patent for the floorPod. Take that iPod nano hanging from it's lanyard and project the picture down onto the tops of your shoes. Everybody can walk around staring at the floor.

Obese people and pregnant women need not apply.

Actually I think the obese and pregnant people would have an advantage -- the device wouldn't hang straight down, it would slope forward and project ahead of them. A bit of keystone correction and they could watch the projection quite comfortably, without having to look straight down.

Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #211 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Programmer
Actually I think the obese and pregnant people would have an advantage -- the device wouldn't hang straight down, it would slope forward and project ahead of them. A bit of keystone correction and they could watch the projection quite comfortably, without having to look straight down.

You know, with the orientation sensors in the Powerbooks, you could have it autocorrect for the angle - even taking care of any side angle. With the headphone lanyard, you wouldn't even bother people around you with the sound.

Hmm. I thinking we may have crossed some kind of geek threshold here... engineering hypothetical products for marginal populations.
post #212 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by PookJP
I think you mean, "alternately interpreted."

It's going to be a video-enabled iPod.

No, that SA ad has been debunked. Which doesn't mean we won't see an iPod Video today.
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/
post #213 of 291
A video iPod could come as a regular iPod carrying like iPod or iPod video (to put the emphasis on this new fonctionality).

I see little chance for a specialized video iPod to be announced today. The current form factor with stay at least one year (until the XScale integration?) if not more. The recently introduced iPod nano that the iconic look and feel of the iPod is an important part of the brand recognition: you can instantly recognize an iPod but you cannot always recognized a MP3 from an other vendor as one of this vendor.

They could bring a lot of advantages with them:

- More CPU power: faster photo importing through the camera adapter (and on the fly convertion of imported photo in a format viewable on the iPod). This an area of improvement in current iPod.
- More games (they will benefit from more CPU)
- More photo handling
- Playing MP4 movies

And for the content:

- There are music videos, video podcast, tv shows, movie trailers, disney content? all through the iTunes Music Store
- Personal content: iMovie film or other. iTunes (with the help of QuickTime) could convert personal movie on the fly in MP4 (from other format like .mov or .wmv) and stored them on the iPod.
- Non DRM content could be export from an iPod to an another computer if it has iTunes install (this functionality can drive the adoption of iTunes among relatives of iPod owners).
- Film Importing? Plug a Firewire cable between a Firewire camcorder and the iPod to import a film (video on Firewire is standardized) (not likely but who knows )
- Plug an iSight on the iPod to record content? (not likely but who knows )
post #214 of 291
Hey.. anybody work near an Apple store? Black plastic shrink wrapped palets arriving via fedex anyone? (come on.. we know you staked them out...)

NOTE: We must find a link.. find a link for coverage... link link link link hunt....
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #215 of 291
post #216 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrik_L
From TUAW:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=51695078&size=o

Groan, already seen, already dismissed.
post #217 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
You know, with the orientation sensors in the Powerbooks, you could have it autocorrect for the angle - even taking care of any side angle. With the headphone lanyard, you wouldn't even bother people around you with the sound.

Hmm. I thinking we may have crossed some kind of geek threshold here... engineering hypothetical products for marginal populations.

How marginal it is depends on where you live.

Have you seen those neck braces that are used for spinal/neck injury victims? I was thinking those might make a good mount for a projector screen for the vPod.
post #218 of 291
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12e.html

The Video-Playback-Capable iPod won't be taking center stage, it seems.

Think HD laptops are a big enough deal to handle the hype? Hmmm..

- Xidius
post #219 of 291
Maybe it was the BBC this time.
...we have assumed control
post #220 of 291
I don't think that a PowerBook with HD display and a incremental CPU upgrade could take a center stage today. A powerbook is not a consumer product and the HD screen is just a mean to let it not fall to far behind before the next generation (with Intel inside) arrive.

The show will certainly be focus on the iPod and iTunes/iTMS.

If there is an upgrade to the PowerBook line it will be a quiet upgrade until the Intel Powerbook... but that's for next year...
post #221 of 291
Maybe the announcement will be that the G5 has finally hit 3Ghz? (2 years late?) =P

- Xidius
post #222 of 291
Do you guys think that we will see an Xscale processor as a replacement to the Portal Player OS in the iPod?

The Xscale and the processor use the same ARM instruction set.

I tend to think that the more the iPod OS become complex the more it needs that Apple redevelopes technologies already develop for MacOS X (for example network support for streaming, graphic transition, codec, etc...)

As Intel has announce an EFI BIOS version for the Xscale processor, and because gcc support the Xscale instruction set it could become more easy to port some part of darwin and MacOS X technologies to capatalize more software between the two platforms.

That not to say that the iPod will become a PDA. It's just to say that the more functionalities are added the more it will demand software engineering. What's more, it would allow Apple to more precisely control the development of every part of the software aspects of the iPod (especially regarding the importance of the iPod in Apple strategy).

Programmer have you a point a view on this potential evolution?
post #223 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by murk
(Smacking him lightly on the face) "Kormac, can you hear me? For God's sake wake up man!" (Repeats smacking to no avail. Grabs collar and begins to shake Kormac's body.) "Somebody get the paddles! We need to shock him!"

I have read a lot of posts about this mr Kormac, but I haven't read any of his writings. Could someone please tell me who he is, and why everyone keeps raving about him. Does he have insider knowledge, or does he just posses special abilities... Sounds like he is for Apple Forums, what "His Steveness" is for a certain fruit company
"Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" Philip K. Dick
"Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" Philip K. Dick
post #224 of 291
^

Seriously though, according to the invite this thing kicked off two hours ago. Why haven't we heard anything yet?
post #225 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
^

Seriously though, according to the invite this thing kicked off two hours ago. Why haven't we heard anything yet?

No it will start in 1 hour and a half...
post #226 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Guartho
^

It started at 6:30am?

That doesn't seem right.

- Xidius
post #227 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by FrenchMac
Programmer have you a point a view on this potential evolution?

Yeah: I don't care. Apple's tech people will do the evaluation and determine what their hardware/software path is, but with this kind of device the innards really should be transparent to anyone outside of Apple. This is different than the Mac where most developers are external to Apple.
post #228 of 291
Hi...I think it 10 pst....which would be 1pm est, also I have been watching the powerbooks on apples store because thas what I am interested in

the 17" move from 1 to 2 days to 24hrs.....hmmm usually if a product is being upgraded the lead time increases instead of decreases?
post #229 of 291
you know what would be cool
pb with no hard drive all flash memory and 13 widescreen with intel chips--sweet. intel has made a bunch of announcements about availability of dual core chips
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #230 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by mercury7
Hi...I think it 10 pst....which would be 1pm est

It starts at 10 am PDT (not PST) and 1 pm EDT (not EST).
Quote:
'Million-to-one chances,' she said, 'crop up nine times out of ten.'

-- T. Pratchett, Equal Rites
Quote:
'Million-to-one chances,' she said, 'crop up nine times out of ten.'

-- T. Pratchett, Equal Rites
post #231 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by FrenchMac
No it will start in 1 hour and a half...

Hmm... rises in East, sets in West... Yeah, I had which time zone was ahead of us and which ones were behind backwards! I thought 10:00 in Pacific would be 8:00 central! Right... noon it is! Thanks.
post #232 of 291
Oh man ... that's a wide iPod.
LL
post #233 of 291
erm, think i saw that on iLounge, not sure I like the looks of the wide-Pod \
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
post #234 of 291
check out this like of ads from the theater...
wide screen iPOD
post #235 of 291
Has it begun?
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
"Respect my authoritaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"
post #236 of 291
not yet all the ads are on the outside of the theater
post #237 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by fieldor
Has it begun?

Not yet. Within the hour, though.

The pictures are from outside the theatre where the event is taking place. I'm surprised that they weren't shrouded until after the attendees had gone in.
post #238 of 291
About time for the i****v2 (iPad?) to be unveiled kormac?

post #239 of 291
Yea! It's the brand new video iPod and she's covering the screen with her thumb?!!?

The other posters all have subjects that appear to be dancing not viewing a video.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #240 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by IToldYouSo
It starts at 10 am PDT (not PST) and 1 pm EDT (not EST).

What's that in GMT?
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!