or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Apple "One More Thing" Event next week! - Page 7

post #241 of 291
the recent think secret article update says the screen size on the ipod is just being increased to 2.46 inches....while it will play video I really don't see why they would hold a special event just for this.....strange, the article said they were not going to annouce the mac upgrades for a week or two.
post #242 of 291
If this is the new iPod i'll be very dissapointed. It looks ugly!
post #243 of 291
This "event" is turning into a disaster.

And it hasn't even started yet.
post #244 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
What's that in GMT?

6pm
James Savage - "You can take my Mac when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

http://www.blackcat-software.com/

post #245 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by msantti
This "event" is turning into a disaster.

And it hasn't even started yet.

As always.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #246 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Addison
What's that in GMT?

1700 GMT
post #247 of 291
6PM
post #248 of 291
The new iPod, replacing both the classic iPod and iPod-Photo, looks fantastic with it's larger screen and thinner body.

The new iMac is just all out awesome, even down to the tech specs:

2.1GHz 20-inch iMac
-2.1GHz PowerPC G5
-700MHz FSB
-533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200), supports up to 2.5GB
-250GB Serial ATA1; 7200 rpm
-20-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1680 x 1050 pixels, millions of colors
-ATI Radeon X600 XT with 128MB DDR SDRAM; PCI-Express
etc.

The built in iSight and included Front Row remote, plus the software, also make this new iMac the best iMac in Apple history.

However, I as severely disappointed that, once again, no new PowerMacs OR PowerBooks were announced. Damn it.
-wt-
-wt-
post #249 of 291
I'm disapointed I can't get a 2.1GHz 17" iMac.
I might get a 2GHz refurb instead.

post #250 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat
I'm disapointed I can't get a 2.1GHz 17" iMac.
I might get a 2GHz refurb instead.

Will you really notice the 0.1GHz difference? I would say not, so personally, I'd go with the thinner model, with a camera, remote and newer software
post #251 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
I don't know why you all are fixated on movies. My sense is that people download television shows, too. Much smaller. More reasonable number of producers of content.

Imagine it. $2 for last week's Alias in HD. Stick it on the gadget. Plug gadget into TV. Maybe couple with some kind of airport express with an h.264 decoder built in.

I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean, S-M-A-R-T!!!
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #252 of 291
I just read it took a guy 40 minutes to download an episode of lost. There is hardly any content there, and it already is taking 40 minutes. I can't imagine this as being ready for a full load of entertainment in the short term. Maybe in a about 4 years.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #253 of 291
Is it just me, or does the extemely minor 100 MHz upgrade indicate that the 970Gx is still not available in an Apple product six months after it was introduced? This has to be the most disappoininting aspect of today's announcement and it doesn't bode well for those waiting for 970 MP Power Macs.
neumac
neumac
post #254 of 291
The new iMac is stunning.

Remarkable Value for money.

PCI Express in there.

Good ATI card.

Built in iSight. New software.

Faster.

Good FSB speed.

Remote.

Media software.

Flat out impressive.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #255 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
I just read it took a guy 40 minutes to download an episode of lost. There is hardly any content there, and it already is taking 40 minutes. I can't imagine this as being ready for a full load of entertainment in the short term. Maybe in a about 4 years.

I think the music store has been experiencing a DOS attack from everyone checking out all the new features. I would reserve my judgement for about a week or so until the newness wears off.
post #256 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by jherrling
I think the music store has been experiencing a DOS attack from everyone checking out all the new features. I would reserve my judgement for about a week or so until the newness wears off.

Yeah. It's really slow right now. I'm about halfway through downloading the first ep of Night Stalker, and it's taking forever (20+ minutes now) and I'm on a T1
post #257 of 291
White 30GB on order
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
post #258 of 291
i gotta say i'm dissapointed with this "one more thing" event.

i was really hoping on some kind of freaking upgrade to the PB's in order for me to justify going and getting one

now what? imac looks nice (doesn't do anything for me though)but i do dig the new ipod. i want one in black.

still no PB =( what the hell am i supposed to do?
post #259 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
still no PB =( what the hell am i supposed to do?

Wait 6-13 days. You'll have a shot at a new PM as well.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #260 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
Wait 6-13 days. You'll have a shot at a new PM as well.

why do you say this? you think they'll announce a minor upgrade to the PM and PB?
post #261 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
why do you say this? you think they'll announce a minor upgrade to the PM and PB?

No, because Apple tends to release new hardware two tuesdays after earnings. Maybe one this quarter because of xmas, but probably still on the 25th.

Apple has given retailers price protection on price cuts for all Powermacs and Powerbooks that they have remaining in stock as of yesterday or monday - not on new orders or on BTOs. Not on iBooks or iMacs.

So, I expect new PBs and PMs shortly. The PM upgrades will be substantial now that the iMac has PCIe. Not sure about PBs.
post #262 of 291
Lemon Bon Bon:

I agree with you. Totally impressive iMac upgrade. Totally unexpected too.

I think it shows Apple's hand WRT other Apple updates. And as JohnsonWax alluded to, I don't think they are far away.

For example, an 8X SuperDrive is now standard in the consumer desktop. Yet, still is extra on PowerBooks? That's gonna change. And if it does, one would think it is going to have an affect on the PowerBook's pricing.

The thing that is depressing, however, is that the upgrades will happen without a special press event, which in the past, has signal a major revision of a product. I seriously thought we were going to see a redesigned PowerBook today, along with a modified dual dual-core G5. To that prospect, I say bummers.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #263 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I seriously thought we were going to see a redesigned PowerBook today, along with a modified dual dual-core G5. To that prospect, I say bummers.

Amen to that. First Paris (not), now this (not). I could use one each of a new PB and PM - hoping there is something substantial in any such upgrade, and there isn't much longer to wait. It has been a long wait already.
post #264 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Lemon Bon Bon:

I agree with you. Totally impressive iMac upgrade. Totally unexpected too.

I think it shows Apple's hand WRT other Apple updates. And as JohnsonWax alluded to, I don't think they are far away.

For example, an 8X SuperDrive is now standard in the consumer desktop. Yet, still is extra on PowerBooks? That's gonna change. And if it does, one would think it is going to have an affect on the PowerBook's pricing.

The thing that is depressing, however, is that the upgrades will happen without a special press event, which in the past, has signal a major revision of a product. I seriously thought we were going to see a redesigned PowerBook today, along with a modified dual dual-core G5. To that prospect, I say bummers.

I think the reason behind no special event for PBs and PMs comes to the fact Steve doesn't want to contradict himself. Just imagine, if he personally walk on stage and introduce, let's say Dual-core PM, he would have to say how great and fast it is. Then months later he'll introduce Intel.
So I think right now most upgrades for the professional line will be only a press release. Did you notice that when He introduce the Imac he did not mention at all the processor or the small speed increase? So my guess is that hopefully before the end of this month we see some upgrades for both PM and PB.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
post #265 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by gugy
I think the reason behind no special event for PBs and PMs comes to the fact Steve doesn't want to contradict himself. Just imagine, if he personally walk on stage and introduce, let's say Dual-core PM, he would have to say how great and fast it is. Then months later he'll introduce Intel.

Yeah, so? Then with an inteli Mac he says now were even faster with the wonderful intel PM. No contridiction there.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #266 of 291
yes and no.

two things to think:

if the says how great PPC is then let's say in 6 months Intel is much better seems odd, specialy after he praised Intel so much during WWDC.

the other thing is Steve is pissed at IBM because the lack of substantial upgrades, so might guess he doesn't want to say how greatest the latest IBM PPC is.

Remmember his ego! and the 3ghz disaster!
MacPro 12 core
MacPro 12 core
post #267 of 291
well i am very upset about this. how can apple not atleast slightly bring some mods to the PBs?

i'm hoping you guys are right about this and there will be one before holiday seasons.

price cuts are happenning to the current pb? when is this happening? i dont see it.
post #268 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
You've nailed air as there hasn't been an announcement yet. I for one seriously doubt a video 2"x 2 1/2" video iPod weeks after a iPod nano is released.

Well Kidred... Tell me again, what is it I have nailed and what is it you seriously doubt ??

post #269 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackcat
No, that SA ad has been debunked. Which doesn't mean we won't see an iPod Video today.

Remember when I said you people were all over-thinking the issue and not looking purely at the market demand, and then you guys ignored me and kept blabbing about bandwidth and content? That was awesome.
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
post #270 of 291
Well I can admit it; I was way off 8)

White 30GB... counting the days...
post #271 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by G_Warren
Will you really notice the 0.1GHz difference? I would say not, so personally, I'd go with the thinner model, with a camera, remote and newer software

Cheaper too. I'll be convinced I need a new 17" soon enough

RDF Rocks

post #272 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by jherrling

Your so in denial.

They only have a couple of shows, and the quality of the content is awful, and not playable on anything other than a Mac. The speed it exactly how I said it would be, and they have less content at launch than I actually thought they would. If they add the amount, and kind of content that would actually make some money it would get worse. You can't burn it to DVD, and you wouldn't want to anyway at that resolution. I stand by my thought that this is going to tank.
I've been reading what people have been saying at Mac central, and playlist, and they have brought up so many things that make this a totally bad deal it's not even funny. I do think it is all cool looking now to someone not so knowledgeable, but what you get if you look at it closely is fish bait. My 2ยข
onlooker

onlooker

post #273 of 291
There is no equivalent to video that music had to begin with. As Steve said we don't consume them in the same way - what we need is free TV programs and a way to burn DVDs to our computers and then buy DVD quality videos from a video store. 320 x 240 is too shit for anything other than an iPod - and an iPod is too small to appreciate video.
post #274 of 291
I think this is testing the waters, it's too naff to be the real thing.

post #275 of 291
Why, why does the iMac (of all systems) get PCI Express before a frigging PowerMac or PowerBook? Someone explain the frigging logic, unless of course they plan to shitcan the Power line altogether. Remember the last TV ad that wasn't iPod-centric? Seems to me Apple is turning into a gadget company that writes a damn fine OS too.
...we have assumed control
...we have assumed control
post #276 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Why, why does the iMac (of all systems) get PCI Express before a frigging PowerMac or PowerBook? Someone explain the frigging logic, unless of course they plan to shitcan the Power line altogether. Remember the last TV ad that wasn't iPod-centric? Seems to me Apple is turning into a gadget company that writes a damn fine OS too.

I wondered that but was too afraid to say it - but then, I'm not a Rhumgod!

I do want my Mac though!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #277 of 291
Quote:

Well put!

iPods are lovely things but new, better, feature rich Macs would sell too!

post #278 of 291
Quote:
Why, why does the iMac (of all systems) get PCI Express before a frigging PowerMac or PowerBook?

Timing.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #279 of 291
Quote:
Why, why does the iMac (of all systems) get PCI Express before a frigging PowerMac or PowerBook?

I haven't the foggiest idea.
onlooker

onlooker

post #280 of 291
It sells more.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!