or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple "One More Thing" Event next week! - Page 8

post #281 of 291
I think it's funny that, as time goes on, the system you have right now actually gets slower. The 2.5Ghz G5 with 2GB RAM you own now is really not acceptable since it's been so long between speed bumps in the line.

Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #282 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I think it's funny that, as time goes on, the system you have right now actually gets slower. The 2.5Ghz G5 with 2GB RAM you own now is really not acceptable since it's been so long between speed bumps in the line.


Indeed. The single most frustrating thing to me about being a Mac user is that the damned things just keep on chugging along. I just upgraded the processor in my G4/533 (which I bought used). Do I want a G5? You bet. But I honestly can't justify it, since the G4 works just fine.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #283 of 291
It's frustrating watching Wintel PCs leapfrog Macs in use of technology (PCI-Express, for example). There was a time when Macs were pretty innovative and leading edge (remember firewire, superdrives, USB keyboards/mice, etc). Nowadays, Apple is falling way behind in using the latest technology.

More frustrating is the fact that I will never buy an iMac - I use PowerBooks and have my still-very-nice-and-speedy, expandable dual G4 PowerMac. Seeing the high-end Power systems falling way short of iMac in terms of technology is sickening. Sure they sell more iMacs, but it's because their PowerMac and PowerBook systems are stagnant as hell.

Besides, laptops comprised over 50% of total system sales. TOTAL sales, including xServes (which are lumped in with PowerMacs, last I checked). How many PowerMacs did Apple sell in the 4th quarter a couple thousand? It wouldn't surprise me to find that xServes outsold PowerMacs, and that is simply a disgrace!
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #284 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
It's frustrating watching Wintel PCs leapfrog Macs in use of technology (PCI-Express, for example). There was a time when Macs were pretty innovative and leading edge (remember firewire, superdrives, USB keyboards/mice, etc). Nowadays, Apple is falling way behind in using the latest technology.

More frustrating is the fact that I will never buy an iMac - I use PowerBooks and have my still-very-nice-and-speedy, expandable dual G4 PowerMac. Seeing the high-end Power systems falling way short of iMac in terms of technology is sickening. Sure they sell more iMacs, but it's because their PowerMac and PowerBook systems are stagnant as hell.

Besides, laptops comprised over 50% of total system sales. TOTAL sales, including xServes (which are lumped in with PowerMacs, last I checked). How many PowerMacs did Apple sell in the 4th quarter a couple thousand? It wouldn't surprise me to find that xServes outsold PowerMacs, and that is simply a disgrace!

I just simply wonder whether Steve sees the Mac as a platform being history. Currently there are huge opportunities for the iMac (and Mini perhaps) with the success of the iPod. People look at the Mac because they bought an iPod and heard that the computers are cool too and discover the iMac, a simply brilliant piece of computer engineering that is now even more consumer friendly with Front Row etc.

These new customers are not coming along because of the pro systems however (assumption on my part) and on the horizon a spectre is looming. Does Apple see Google and its 'the Internet is the computer' philosophy laying down an insurmountable challenge to the Mac? If Google goes on to steamroll all before it including, you know - those other guys, perhaps it won't matter how good the Mac is. Perhaps what would survive is OS X as the natural operating system for this new-world age of Internet computing. To do so however, it must be capable of running on everything out there, hence, OS X for Intel. (That's why it doesn't matter that they have gone with Intel instead of AMD because it just doesn't matter.)

Might Apple and Google get together and go around everybody else, meaning Microsoft of course and Linux and oh, well, whoever else might aspire to be a player. OS X and Apple would be attractive partners. They do Internet music, they do Internet video (which will be perfect on Google's new ultra high speed infrastructure) and they do all of this and the other things in style.

The Mac isn't in this picture however because there just might not be enough time to get it popular enough. Of course, Apple might decide to compete in the hardware game but perhaps they would compete rather where they are strongest, in innovation resulting in products that are then licensed out unless that product fits into some core manufacturing plan, such as the iPod does currently.

What might alter this scenario immensely however, is a Powerbook replacement that is truly revolutionary. Fully solid state, new memory technologies that allow instant turn on, an intimate connection to its owner through biometrics and an ability to sense the environment, pervasive wireless to the Datanet, low-power, bright even-in-sunlight displays, etc and other un-guessed at Apple innovations might also provide the platform of choice for this new world order.

Tell you what though, if the Mac goes to oblivion, I'll be lining up to get the latest model before it's gone.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #285 of 291
Sounds like you've been standing too close to the RDF or meditating to the latest Gates/Ballmer marketing babel. While those distant visions may some day come to fruition, I think they are taking too many hits off the bong and need to get grounded in reality. Specifically, the fact the Apple's hardware sales are dwindling on the pro end and Microsoft, well, let's just say they have issues with security.
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #286 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
Sounds like you've been standing too close to the RDF or meditating to the latest Gates/Ballmer marketing babel. While those distant visions may some day come to fruition, I think they are taking too many hits off the bong and need to get grounded in reality. Specifically, the fact the Apple's hardware sales are dwindling on the pro end and Microsoft, well, let's just say they have issues with security.

Standing too close to the RDF... OK... what's an RDF (he asks sounding too much like Homer for comfort)!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #287 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by IQatEdo
Standing too close to the RDF... OK... what's an RDF (he asks sounding too much like Homer for comfort)!

Reality distortion field
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #288 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
Reality distortion field

Read: Steve's Keynotes, primarily.
...we have assumed control
Reply
...we have assumed control
Reply
post #289 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
Reality distortion field

Of course, I knew that but didn't remember that I knew that (he says, sounding a little too like Donald Rumsfeld for comfort)!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #290 of 291
what we have to think about is the next big thing. thats where the hardware will go. the high end powermacs will have a place BUT THE GROWTH will be elseware--ipods, imacs-laptops..say position yourself as perhaps some did 6months BEFORE the ipod came out. with the growth of broadband, video, accessing video stored at home when you are away i think is huge. i think we are seeing REv-A of the next big thing in the imac+isight+front row+BT+remote. can you imagine when incar broadband (dish, cellular etc), and cell broadband becomes more available???? you could access your home stuff ANYWHERE!!! consumers want flexibility and access. as far as google, well with oracle we may need the imac for our video and music and then just do all other apps on the network-which. which is the ultimate threat to MS, we won't need windows. The home entertainment hub elegant solution hopefully comes from apple. if the above is true we have a bright future

i also would like apple to leapfrog other also rans with a total package pb solid state etc as described--can you imagine the buzz and response to that. SJ has kept most people quessing and then being big time impressed with the "elegant solution"
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #291 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumgod
It wouldn't surprise me to find that xServes outsold PowerMacs

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!