or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!

Apple "One More Thing" Event next week! - Page 2

post #41 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by admactanium
the bandwidth costs for distributing long-form video are much greater than a 3Mb aac music file. the profit potential is much harder to find for video than music since i don't think people are going to pay a lot of money to get shows they can get on tv.

Bandwidth is pretty cheap. Prices for large users (like Apple) are <$1/GB. So an H.264 SD 1 hour TV show should cost less than $0.40. I think that for a 30 minute show Apple could swing $1/episode. For an hour, up it to $2 or $1.50. For a movie, you have to come in line with DVDs to cover the royalties so you're probably looking at closer to $10. But I think $2 for a 1hr show is comfortable for consumers.

Keep in mind that Apple has been springing for bandwidth for trailers for a long-ass time and getting no money outside of derivative sales from QT Pro, etc. I don't think it's insurmountable.

For royalties on TV, season DVDs appear to average $1.25 to $1.75 per 1 hour episode. Taking out packaging, distribution, retail cut, etc. you are probably looking at $.75 or less per episode in royalties, which is close to what the music labels get. I doubt that episode downloads would significantly cut into DVD sales and I think consumers would pay MORE for TV download than the DVD bundle due to the timing convenience.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #42 of 291
Apple is buying Microsoft and Gates will be hung publicly for crimes against humanity.
post #43 of 291
How long does a person want to wait to get their movie via download? A half hour show is along day with DSL. People want it in the drop of a hat like now.
And what about quality. Federal Regulators have made it mandatory that all TV broadcasting is HD by (pretty soon/ within 2 years or so) I forget when, but. It's been going on for a few years. After that happens consumers are going to start to seriously notice the difference in video quality. I have a projection TV. I can see a huge difference between regular tv, and DVD. DVD, and Superbit DVD. Superbit DVD, and High Def TV. Download quality is less than regular TV.
Hey... Apple can do what they want. It's about time they made another pippin mistake. They are due for one.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #44 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
Fairplay is a DRM wrapper. It'll work on any file format.

That's pretty interesting. Then I suppose the problem is getting the movie studios to approve it. I remember reading some sticking point about the issue.

Here it is:

http://www.drmwatch.com/standards/article.php/3418741
post #45 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
How long does a person want to wait to get their movie via download? A half hour show is along day with DSL. People want it in the drop of a hat like now.
And what about quality. Federal Regulators have made it mandatory that all TV broadcasting is HD by (pretty soon/ within 2 years or so) I forget when, but. It's been going on for a few years. After that happens consumers are going to start to seriously notice the difference in video quality. I have a projection TV. I can see a huge difference between regular tv, and DVD. DVD, and Superbit DVD. Superbit DVD, and High Def TV. Download quality is less than regular TV.
Hey... Apple can do what they want. It's about time they made another pippin mistake. They are due for one.

My cable modem is 4Mb/s so I can easily download a SD H.264 file in real-time. Even 1.5Mb DLS should be able to do the same. So you can start watching immediately, though it'll take as long as the clip to finish. Theoretically I should be able to do the same with a HD file, but my guess is that realistically 2x the file length.

Download quality is the same as regular TV. I don't see where you think it won't be. BT download are usually worse than regular TV in my experience, but then they aren't H.264.

I agree that HD will be the future, and perhaps Apple will offer that for TV programming. I think that for short programs (1 hr or less) it'll be acceptable for consumers, but a 2 hr movie might be irritating for consumers.

For what it's worth, a DVD rip in H.264 would be about the same size as some game demos that I've downloaded. It's hardly unprecedented.
post #46 of 291
Quote:

Hmm, lets see.

A 30 min TV show would be about 150MBs (standard def, compressed with H.264). On a standard DSL line (1.5Mbps), thats about 15 minutes. On a standard Cable line, that is only 8 minutes.

If it took you all day, you must be on dial up...

Quote:
And what about quality. Federal Regulators have made it mandatory that all TV broadcasting is HD by (pretty soon/ within 2 years or so) I forget when, but. It's been going on for a few years.

Not quite right. FCC said all tv must be digital broadcast (so no more analog broadcasts). A digital broadcast can be either SD or HD. There is no FCC mandate requiring all stations to be in HDTV. And this has already been pushed back. First it was by 2006, now it is either 2007 or 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back again when the date draws near.
post #47 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by the cool gut
That's pretty interesting. Then I suppose the problem is getting the movie studios to approve it. I remember reading some sticking point about the issue.

Here it is:

http://www.drmwatch.com/standards/article.php/3418741

The studios have made two attempts at the movie downloading service and neither has taken off. I think they're willing to go with something that is proven and works. They sure aren't making money with consortiums. Fairplay is a proven technology now. There's been no real success at bypassing it that the studios would find objectionable.

And Steve as part of Pixar is almost certainly part of these groups. Perhaps Apple is getting ready to move Fairplay to other devices. They have licensed it to Motorola already, so they aren't totally opposed to licensing, though they are being very cautious with it.

There was talk of licensing to Macrovision, but I don't know if that's gone through or not. If it has, then the studios will probably be on board.
post #48 of 291
Quote:
Download quality is the same as regular TV. I don't see where you think it won't be. BT download are usually worse than regular TV in my experience, but then they aren't H.264.

The TV shows I download off BT are usually HDTV rips, compressed down to a resolution of 624x352 using Xvid (so about 350MBs for a 1 hour show). The quality is great, usually better than SD tv (cause SD tv is kind of fuzzy.) I have burned a few shows to DVD before for other people, and it looks just as good as the SD tv channel if not a little bit better.
post #49 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by kupan787
The TV shows I download off BT are usually HDTV rips, compressed down to a resolution of 624x352 using Xvid (so about 350MBs for a 1 hour show). The quality is great, usually better than SD tv (cause SD tv is kind of fuzzy.) I have burned a few shows to DVD before for other people, and it looks just as good as the SD tv channel if not a little bit better.

Yeah, depends on what you download. I'm usually filling in Daily Shows and whatnot, so I rarely get the HDTV rips, and the SD rips are so-so. But that's not really a big cinematic program, you know?

I think a half-hour show SD H.264 rip would be closer to 100MB (23 minutes @ 600kbs)

Any ideas what a high-quality HDTV rip straight to H.264 with no shrinking would weigh in at? Maybe I'll dig around and run one. I know that DVD rips are about 600MB-700MB. I would guess that a 1hr 720p rip full-res would be in the same neighborhood. I'd say that's at the upper-end of what people would be willing to download.
post #50 of 291
Well no matter whether I personally feel it is something useful or not I have a hard time seeing this announcement as anything other than a video capable iPod. Maybe it's such a special announcement becuase they'll be using the xscale processor, Apple's first intel available product. Anyway I'd love to be wrong, I've got my fingers crossed for PB updates.
post #51 of 291
File size notwithstanding, I think a TV download service would work best on a podcast-like subscription model. When a new episode of one of your programs becomes available, iTunes downloads it in the background and sends it to your iPod AV the next time you sync. Then the issue of waiting for the download becomes essentially irrelevant.

Question is, white kind of usage rights would the DRM allow?
post #52 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Reid
File size notwithstanding, I think a TV download service would work best on a podcast-like subscription model. When a new episode of one of your programs becomes available, iTunes downloads it in the background and sends it to your iPod AV the next time you sync. Then the issue of waiting for the download becomes essentially irrelevant.

That's a great idea. I could see people buying a subscription to a show which is downloaded automatically in the background. This was part of the initial intent of podcasting - that you'd subscribe to an RSS feed with audio or video payload which would be delivered in the background, ready when you wanted to use it. It would require some expansion of the store, but it largely reuses existing bits.

Quote:
Question is, white kind of usage rights would the DRM allow?

Probably about the same as for music. I'd expect 3 computers + vPod. It'd be cool to see burn to DVD though iDVD with some restriction to prevent it from being automated. I think Apple has enough evidence to show that iTMS content has not been abused thus far, and that video should be quite safe.
post #53 of 291
Where the hell is Kormac?
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #54 of 291
Quote:
That's a great idea. I could see people buying a subscription to a show which is downloaded automatically in the background. This was part of the initial intent of podcasting - that you'd subscribe to an RSS feed with audio or video payload which would be delivered in the background, ready when you wanted to use it. It would require some expansion of the store, but it largely reuses existing bits.

Probably about the same as for music. I'd expect 3 computers + vPod. It'd be cool to see burn to DVD though iDVD with some restriction to prevent it from being automated. I think Apple has enough evidence to show that iTMS content has not been abused thus far, and that video should be quite safe.

Not that I want to bitch about the Antipodes being technologically backward, but surely an Apple movie store is only a business model that you could perhaps run where there is enough bandwidth (ie. large cable networks, not ADSL). If thats the case, then you are only going to be selling to a limited number of people, unless you start using Apple retail outlets as download zones...or some other daft idea. The number of people you will be selling to is fairly limited and will be for the next 5 years. Is that a business that Apple wants to blow money at?

Am I missing something here? Do I need some coffee to get my mind in order? I am very sceptical of this whole portable video thing (if you haven't guessed already)
human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on
which we hammer out tunes to make bears
dance when we long to move the stars to
pity.
human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on
which we hammer out tunes to make bears
dance when we long to move the stars to
pity.
post #55 of 291
iMac nano (formerly know as eMac):

no cd/dvd drive included (use "server's" burner)
>>therefore smaller form factor

MacosXe installed in flash ROM
>>instant on

microdrive for local files...

"smallest Mac ever"
post #56 of 291
It's time to polish up those crystal balls folks...
Here's my what my tea-leaves are saying.

Legal movie download service.
Somebody at some point will offer a movie-for-download service which is endorsed by the studios. Apple are currently the best-placed company to do this.

Movie Store
Apple will announce a partnership with some studios to sell movies online (US only). Some TV content too. Steve will probably illustrate this by showing a new trailer of the Pixar feature "Cars". Pricing for features will be lower than DVD for standard def - and about the same as DVD for HD versions. Video rental also possible. Refund on deletion?

So how do we watch it?
Powerbook and Powermac updates will be announced which makes viewing HD content on Macs better. Better screens and hardware H264 decompression to be included in all new macs from today.

Price cuts on all Cinema displays.

What about TV?
A tiny set-top box device for storing and playing HD, SD and audio content to a TV & stereo. Box includes an iPod dock and an Airport wireless network feature. Guessing it might be called Airport / Airpod HD. Potential support for new wireless standard. Price $299

And iPods?
a new iPod with large capacity. Will be able to move&preview movie files.

Carni
post #57 of 291
It seems that there is a real consesus about iPod Video even though TS doesn't think so. Read the article at: www.macworld.co.uk

But all agree on PowerMac updates.

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

post #58 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Carniphage

Somebody at some point will offer a movie-for-download service which is endorsed by the studios. Apple are currently the best-placed company to do this.

Movie Store
Apple will announce a partnership with some studios to sell movies online (US only). Some TV content too. Steve will probably illustrate this by showing a new trailer of the Pixar feature "Cars". Pricing for features will be lower than DVD for standard def - and about the same as DVD for HD versions. Video rental also possible. Refund on deletion?

So how do we watch it?
Powerbook and Powermac updates will be announced which makes viewing HD content on Macs better. Better screens and hardware H264 decompression to be included in all new macs from today.

Price cuts on all Cinema displays.

What about TV?
A tiny set-top box device for storing and playing HD, SD and audio content to a TV & stereo. Box includes an iPod dock and an Airport wireless network feature. Guessing it might be called Airport / Airpod HD. Potential support for new wireless standard. Price $299

And iPods?
a new iPod with large capacity. Will be able to move&preview movie files.

Carni

Carni, that's the way I think that we have to look at the prospect of a video iPod, by stepping back and ditching assumptions about the purpose and looking instead at strategy, of which SJ is the current guru.

Apple does stuff early and unexpectedly. A larger format screen offers access to more than just video but other content and purposes as well. What's more, the implications for video-on-demand in general would be huge, not just for production stuff but live video for example. Imagine a wired superbowl (or Lords for that matter), where you could be in the last tier seating and still have the best of personalized information and video - best of both worlds.

If Apple is doing it, then it is early but on the way to mass acceptance!

By the way, love the mixed metaphor, a pom can polish his crystal balls (sorry - ball) all he wants but he still has to consult tea leaves! Be careful what you look at though, the ashes will be OURS next time, they're only on loan to you guys!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #59 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by murk
BBC Leak?

Similar reports have been run on CNN and Fox. Makes you think there is going to be a video iPod no?
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
post #60 of 291
Well I suppose because there are two locations for this event
it must be something bigger than updated PowerMacs etc.

post #61 of 291
I know this is sort of off topic but this morning, I was reading the Orange County Register's Business section and there was an article about Apple and the rumored video iPod or new macs. In the article, it mentioned the ThinkSecret.com web site which, to me, was rather surprising.

link
post #62 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by anand
Similar reports have been run on CNN and Fox. Makes you think there is going to be a video iPod no?

Well I can tell you one thing, If they are NOT going to be releasing a video iPod, then they are going to have to say something to squash the rumours, because it's getting so hyped now, that if they don't release a video iPod, their stock will get slammed.
post #63 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo123
Well I suppose because there are two locations for this event
it must be something bigger than updated PowerMacs etc.

Just as it has happened before, Apple is probably showing the event to the press in Europe via satellite.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #64 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by sc_markt
I know this is sort of off topic but this morning, I was reading the Orange County Register's Business section and there was an article about Apple and the rumored video iPod or new macs. In the article, it mentioned the ThinkSecret.com web site which, to me, was rather surprising.

link

The RedEye in Chicago quoted both appleinsider and thinksecrets predictions...very strange that the media thinks that reporting on rumors is journalism
post #65 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by cj171
...very strange that the media thinks that reporting on rumors is journalism

Either strange times ahead, or there is much truth in these rumors and we don't know it yet here.
post #66 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by sc_markt

link

It's not that surprising to me. I've seen Apple Insider (the rumor borads) / MOSR, and TS given as rumor reference from anywhere from the NY times, CNN, to CNET.
onlooker

onlooker

post #67 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Carniphage

Want to know what's embarrassing?

There are already two such services that were inititated by the studios, one with MS buy in as well. And you can get Pixar films too. Clearly the studios are willing to do this, but they don't know how to make it successful. Same conclusion, different facts.
post #68 of 291
Quote:
Well I can tell you one thing, If they are NOT going to be releasing a video iPod, then they are going to have to say something to squash the rumours, because it's getting so hyped now, that if they don't release a video iPod, their stock will get slammed.

No, the rumor isn't built into the price at all yet. It's just doing it's usual thing now. Apple stock behavior isn't what it used to be - with a $45B market cap, they roll through crap like this pretty well.
post #69 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Either strange times ahead, or there is much truth in these rumors and we don't know it yet here.

You know, Steve has been out to undermine the rumor sites for a while now. You haven't noticed that the big calls have been made by the WSJ and other mainstream press? Intel, for instance.

I wouldn't be suprised if Steve was giving them a little taste knowing that they won't divulge details, photos, and specs. That's what drives him nuts. If people are curious about a vPod but don't know details, they're more likely to tune into the event than if they have no idea at all what it is.
post #70 of 291
Quote:
... Hey... Apple can do what they want. It's about time they made another pippin mistake. They are due for one.

You said it, brother. Ever since the iPod they've been thinking they've got golden fingers. This announcement is pure chutzpah.
post #71 of 291
Quote:
My cable modem is 4Mb/s so I can easily download a SD H.264 file in real-time. Even 1.5Mb DLS should be able to do the same. So you can start watching immediately, though it'll take as long as the clip to finish. Theoretically I should be able to do the same with a HD file, but my guess is that realistically 2x the file length.

Sure you could, but with 800,000+ women getting their daily soaps, Kid's getting their Anime, and a god knows, who, and what else. Where are you going to get this bandwidth? Your connection is only as as good as where your getting it. A few episodes of lost, buffy, prison break, ROME, and WEEDS. So you want to accomplish all this, and all the rest with todays internet connections (mostly spliced T3's, T1's, and regular Coax)? They must have installed multiple Dense Wave Division Multiplexing lines from home to home recently. Maybe they are using Cisco CRS-1 throughout the country in all major cities, coupled with OC-3072 to every neighborhood. Your cable modem is 4Mbits ps but, there will be a lot more than just you, and a couple hundred ex TV pirates across state lines involved in this when it happens.

I think it's going happen don't get me wrong, but I don't think they can supply people with what they will demand right away, and pippin was the same way. We'll see what Apple has, but I think they should have gone after a home delivery service with a Set Top box styled iHome that can do iTunes, and Tivo like stuff across the cable system. Like a Tivo data base where you can access this content, and possibly subscribe to a season, or something. I just can't imagine 800,000+ housewives getting their soaps over the internet, (plus everybody else trying) and anyone having any bandwidth left. Replay-TV (it's like a Tivo) used to have a ethernet cable where you could theoretically share shows over the internet through a PC, or HUB, or iHome if you will. That would be the way to go with this. It surely would put the huge Capacity of Blue Ray disc to some good use in a Hard drive format. terabyte drives in an Mac-Mini sized box.

My 2¢
onlooker

onlooker

post #72 of 291
Quote:

You are right. Sites like CNN dont just publish crap (to a large extent). People did not believe it when they said apple was switching to Intel. Guess what guys, get read for a video ipod. Hopefully it will be more than just a iPod that can play short music videos.
post #73 of 291
Apple/Microsoft merger
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #74 of 291
Quote:
Sure you could, but with 800,000+ women getting their daily soaps, Kid's getting their Anime, and a god knows, who, and what else. Where are you going to get this bandwidth? Your connection is only as as good as where your getting it. A few episodes of lost, buffy, prison break, ROME, and WEEDS. So you want to accomplish all this, and all the rest with todays internet connections (mostly spliced T3's, T1's, and regular Coax)? They must have installed multiple Dense Wave Division Multiplexing lines from home to home recently. Maybe they are using Cisco CRS-1 throughout the country in all major cities, coupled with OC-3072 to every neighborhood. Your cable modem is 4Mbits ps but, there will be a lot more than just you, and a couple hundred ex TV pirates across state lines involved in this when it happens.

I think it's going happen don't get me wrong, but I don't think they can supply people with what they will demand right away, and pippin was the same way. We'll see what Apple has, but I think they should have gone after a home delivery service with a Set Top box styled iHome that can do iTunes, and Tivo like stuff across the cable system. Like a Tivo data base where you can access this content, and possibly subscribe to a season, or something. I just can't imagine 800,000+ housewives getting their soaps over the internet, (plus everybody else trying) and anyone having any bandwidth left. Replay-TV (it's like a Tivo) used to have a ethernet cable where you could theoretically share shows over the internet through a PC, or HUB, or iHome if you will. That would be the way to go with this. It surely would put the huge Capacity of Blue Ray disc to some good use in a Hard drive format. terabyte drives in an Mac-Mini sized box.

My 2¢

OK, but the BitTorrent masses are already out there sucking down the bandwidth. Shifting some of them to a legal system doesn't add to the bandwidth problem. I fail to see how 800,000 housewives are going to suddently start buying their episodes. It's not as though cable is gong away or TiVo is going away. This is a service to fill in the gaps where those don't work. If it's more convenient to set up the season pass on the TiVo, then that's what the housewives will do and save the $2/day. If, however, the TiVo barfs or the Steelers pre-empt it, or what have you, then they'll have a resource where none currently exists.

Keep in mind that iTMS is currently pushing out around 50,000 songs an hour and I've not aware of any signficant access or bandwidth problems in spite of the growth that they've witnessed with the exception of the Windows intro.

And in a lot of markets now, the cable system IS the internet. I get internet, digital cable and phone through the same fiber pipe. Surely it's throttled differently, but moving the bandwidth from internet to cable accomplishes nothing, really.

And the demand will be low initially as it was with music. It takes a little time for people to change their habits and that gives everybody time to build out and get on board. iTMS was light on content in the beginning. There weren't a lot of customers at first. It took a year to get rolling. This would be no different.
post #75 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
Apple/Microsoft merger

So that's Bill Gates' giant head behind the screen? Oh, wait, it'd be Ballmer's giant head now, right?

<shutter>
post #76 of 291
What the hell are you talking about? What *hitty ass connection do you have? on my 768mb DSL it takes 5 minutes or less for a 150mb file..

On my comcast cable (though not in san jose <-- since comcast sucks there) in LA i download at between 3-4mbs second.

Quote:
Originally posted by kupan787
Hmm, lets see.

A 30 min TV show would be about 150MBs (standard def, compressed with H.264). On a standard DSL line (1.5Mbps), thats about 15 minutes. On a standard Cable line, that is only 8 minutes.

If it took you all day, you must be on dial up...

Not quite right. FCC said all tv must be digital broadcast (so no more analog broadcasts). A digital broadcast can be either SD or HD. There is no FCC mandate requiring all stations to be in HDTV. And this has already been pushed back. First it was by 2006, now it is either 2007 or 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back again when the date draws near.
post #77 of 291
Every company makes mistakes, but a video player is in high demand, it's time for entertainment to progress. mp3 players weren't the rage until Apple came in and did it "right", video players already exist, but it's time for somebody to "do it right" all over again.

Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
You said it, brother. Ever since the iPod they've been thinking they've got golden fingers. This announcement is pure chutzpah.
post #78 of 291
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000263062133/

So they say the jokes over.. of course neither of those photos were real.. and now they say we get plain old upgrades.

Yeah right... since when does 'one more thing' get you a crappy bump. (fools)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #79 of 291
A feature film download service might actually do quite well. If they format the size to a low enough resolution that it won't scale well for a TV screen, BUT it will look okay on the video iPod's screen or in a small window on your computer, people might go for that. Charge $2 per movie (that you can put on unlimited iPods) and consumers would FLIP OUT.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #80 of 291
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
What the hell are you talking about? What *hitty ass connection do you have? on my 768mb DSL it takes 5 minutes or less for a 150mb file..

May I assume it is a 768mbs line? And a 150mb file (both megabits)? Then you need 150/768 = 0.195 sec to download the file. Something does not adds up here .
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple "One More Thing" Event next week!