or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple to hold special event on Oct 12
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to hold special event on Oct 12 - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
<burning off some excess energy so i can have my afternoon nap>

"Wireless Network

You can connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players.The wireless range can be an incredible 30 to 100 feet and for some games, multiplayer requires just one Nintendo DS game card.

Future games may take advantage of the DS Wireless LAN connection for more multiplayer possibilities.

Note: Nintendo DS wireless communication, including PictoChat, is not private and is not monitored by Nintendo. We recommend that you never reveal any personal information or arrange to meet a stranger."

now AFAIK i don't think this means you can surf the web at a wifi hotspot or something... its more for interacting wirelessly with other DS users in range... again, AFAIK.

My remark was somewhat sarcastic. He was comparing the DS's cheap, slow low power network to G which uses about 50 times as much power, thinking that it could go into an iPod without knocking its battery life down to 5 hours.
post #42 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Originally posted by retiarius
...unfortunately, this implies 480p rather than hi-definition,
but apple can spin this, as it is at least as good as dvd.
...besides, every mac sold can do h.264 at 480p via 1.25 ghz
g4 or better, and has either vga or dvi output to serve most
living room scenarios.


i would have to agree, 720p h.264 downloads would be quite revolutionary, i don't think movie studios would commit to this, not yet, unless steve has seriously worked some magic. we'll see.

but 480p h.264 downloads playable on a wide range of macs and possibly an iPod video would be great, marketing spin would be "DVD quality movies at one third the size of a DVD" ~ downloaded right to your computer, synced with your video iPod

something tells me though that this is not quite there yet. next year maybe, with 720p or 1080p fullblown HD downloads for mac-based hometheatre stuff, 480p for ipod video stuff.

hmmm.... speculation runs deep and wild at this stage, i'm feeling lost. damn iSteve and his tricks for drumming up hype and mystery!!!!!

A full movie at 720p, even with H.264 wouldn't come close to fitting on an iPod. If it did, the compression would be so high that you wouldn't want it anyway.
post #43 of 113
hi mel, meoww!! i thought you were kinda serious when you said "the ds does wireless?"

re: 720p HD on an iPod.
no worries according to my calculations
lets take a 120minute movie. 120 x 60 = 7200 seconds per movie

bitrates for h.264. apple has demonstrated decent quality at
6megabits/second to say 10megabits/sec for 1280x720

6 megabits/second for 7200 seconds conservatively approx. to say 6GB
10 megabits/second for 7200 seconds conservatively approx. to say 10GB

thus, it is possible, using those fantastic base 10 calculations (1,000, 10,000 songs in your pocket etc. etc..) for apple to say:

10 High Definition Movies. In Your Pocket.
The new 100gb iPod VideoHD.


you know that between 6megabits/second and 10megabits/second, for 10 720p 120min movies, say including AAC-encoded 5.1 channel surround or whatever 5.1 surround encoding as per mpeg4 standards, 80gb seems to be the sweet spot here since 100gb drives might be pretty expensive.

given the math above and encoding between 6megabits/sec and 10megabits/sec and the fact that a movie on average is less than a full two hours long, apple could very reasonably market a 80gb iPod Video HiDef as "10 HiDefinition movies. In your pocket."

80gb iPod HiDefinition Edition
[10 HDTV movies] OR [20,000 songs] OR [5 HDTV movies + 10,000 songs]
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
A full movie at 720p, even with H.264 wouldn't come close to fitting on an iPod. If it did, the compression would be so high that you wouldn't want it anyway.

Are you crazy? I can record the stream from a 1/2 hr tv show on 2 gb of space. If I can do that at regular TV resolution, what's to keep me from doing the same for a movie, boosting the storage required to 8 gigs? And that's uncompressed.

I hope you've paid enough attention to the iPod market to notice that iPods can hold up to 60 GB of data?

Besides - has ANYBODY noticed that Apple has been allowing you to view music videos on the ITMS for at least the last 6 months? So what's the automatic assumption about iPod video and what you'll be able to buy to play on it? Music Videos! WOW! Huge surprise! Sell 'em for five bucks each and they'll start making money on ITMS, I think.8)
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #45 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
80gb iPod HiDefinition Edition
[10 HDTV movies] OR [20,000 songs] OR [5 HDTV movies + 10,000 songs]

Well you work under that they will use 6-10mbits/s. Based on their HD movies on the QT pages this is true. However this is like Apple basing all their song amounts on lossless quality audio.

I can certainly compress a 704x400 DVD stream (from an episode of 24) at 1100kbps. To get to that figure I do a calculation recommended on the HandBrake forums:

Number of pixels * Frames per second * 0.16 = bits per second

704*400*25*0.16 = 1,126,400bps or 1100kbps. This runs at ~484MiB/hour for video.

This gives a perfectly acceptable picture. So on a 1280x720 movie:

1280*720*25*0.16 = 3686400 or 3600kbps. 1582MiB/hour or 1.55GiB/hour for video.

This should give the same quality results as my DVD copies using handbrake. In the past Apple has based its recomendations on lossy (128 AAC) formats, they could do the same game here...

125hours of DVD quality with 5.1 audio* on 80GB or 46hours of HD video with 5.1 audio.

*2 channel 128kbps AAC is 56.25MiB/hour thus 5.1 would be 168.75MiB/hour.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #46 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by rwahrens
Are you crazy? I can record the stream from a 1/2 hr tv show on 2 gb of space. If I can do that at regular TV resolution, what's to keep me from doing the same for a movie, boosting the storage required to 8 gigs? And that's uncompressed.

I hope you've paid enough attention to the iPod market to notice that iPods can hold up to 60 GB of data?

Besides - has ANYBODY noticed that Apple has been allowing you to view music videos on the ITMS for at least the last 6 months? So what's the automatic assumption about iPod video and what you'll be able to buy to play on it? Music Videos! WOW! Huge surprise! Sell 'em for five bucks each and they'll start making money on ITMS, I think.8)

You can download HDTV copies of TV episodes (38 minutes) at 350MB each (xvid/divx).
post #47 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by eAi
You can download HDTV copies of TV episodes (38 minutes) at 350MB each (xvid/divx).

Exactly! THAT'S compressed, so it takes up less space...just what I was tying to tell that idiot.
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #48 of 113
whoa chill peoples. 350mb divx are ripped from HDTV sources but the final files of bittorrent are NOT HDTV. these divx/xvid rippers also usually recompress the 5.1 surround audio into 2 channel audio.

but yeah, it does look like it is very possible, taking 6-10megabits/sec as the bitrate for high-quality, up-to-apple-standards, h.264 1280x720 video with 5.1channel audio, to fit about 10 HiDef movies on a 60-80gb iPodVideo if such a thing comes out.
post #49 of 113
a HDTV final movie output at 1280x720 24fps (720-24p), i agree, you could push the bitrate for h.264 compression down to 2-3 megabit per second but quality below 5 megabit/sec for 1280x720 resolution would be pretty crappy. i reckon in general, commercially released 720p stuff encoded in h.264 will not be pushed below 5 megabit/sec at a bare minimum.

below that, it's more of a divx-type visual experience which would not come up to the full fun and enjoyment of 720p HDTV especially on big screens or 1280x1024/ 1280x960 computer LCDs.
post #50 of 113
people keep mentioning 'asteroid'.

I assume this is not the little game where you shoot asteroids into little peices that has been around for a decade...

... but what are they talking about?
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
whoa chill peoples. 350mb divx are ripped from HDTV sources but the final files of bittorrent are NOT HDTV. these divx/xvid rippers also usually recompress the 5.1 surround audio into 2 channel audio.

but yeah, it does look like it is very possible, taking 6-10megabits/sec as the bitrate for high-quality, up-to-apple-standards, h.264 1280x720 video with 5.1channel audio, to fit about 10 HiDef movies on a 60-80gb iPodVideo if such a thing comes out.

Nobody said it was. I was referring to a file resulting from saving video from a video box feeding cable to a Mac. That is definately NOT hdtv standard, but it serves to allow me to watch a tv show on the run during an hour commute using a vPod (when they come out!) instead of when the networks want me to.

AND, due to the Fair Use provisions, its legal, providing I don't send that copy to Aunt Emma. (or anybody else)
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #52 of 113
rwahrens... yeah, fair enough... let's say you can download and purchase high quality h.264 720p HDTV of an apple movie store, recompressing that into smaller nuggets for on-the-go vPodding will be cool. just like how if you have apple lossless audio files on your Mac or PC when you autofill your iPod shuffle it can convert to 128kbps aac or whatever to squeeze it onto your portable device.

but this is exactly the kind of stuff that scares the HELL out of movie studios. they do not believe in such fair use. it will be great but a long journey till they give you a full legal 720p HDTV copy which you can then recompress, take on the go, etc. well anyway that's what they're trying to do with this HDCP rubbish which will just be cracked and hacked to death anyway. i say give us that full legal paid for 720p or 1080p HDTV h.264 file and let us do whatever the hell we want to! as long as we don't email a copy to aunt emma or upload it somewhere
post #53 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
rwahrens... yeah, fair enough... let's say you can download and purchase high quality h.264 720p HDTV of an apple movie store, recompressing that into smaller nuggets for on-the-go vPodding will be cool. just like how if you have apple lossless audio files on your Mac or PC when you autofill your iPod shuffle it can convert to 128kbps aac or whatever to squeeze it onto your portable device.

but this is exactly the kind of stuff that scares the HELL out of movie studios. they do not believe in such fair use. it will be great but a long journey till they give you a full legal 720p HDTV copy which you can then recompress, take on the go, etc. well anyway that's what they're trying to do with this HDCP rubbish which will just be cracked and hacked to death anyway. i say give us that full legal paid for 720p or 1080p HDTV h.264 file and let us do whatever the hell we want to! as long as we don't email a copy to aunt emma or upload it somewhere

Well, look at what the RIAA is doing - they're the same sort of stodgy has-beens that can't see a good thing to make money off of if it bit 'em in the tuckus!

In the meantime, artists *have* noticed,and you can bet that they'll be glad to sell us copies of their music videos to cart around as we wish! Then after they've done that for a year or so, maybe the studios will take a hint...
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #54 of 113
All this debate just proves that Apple is right: The market isn't ready for a Video iPod - the content is not there.

Either Apple has a truly unique content scheme ready for us, or we won't be seeing the Video iPod next week.


What surprises me is that Apple has done nothing since sending out the invitation to debunk the iPod Video news. Apple's happy to have people speculating (incorrectly), but when the NY Times, CNET and BBC are telling the world that the Video iPod is coming, any announcement OTHER than the vPod will DISAPPOINT the audience; Apple doesn't like to disappoint, especially with a "one more thing" announcement. Curious.
post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Sport73
All this debate just proves that Apple is right: The market isn't ready for a Video iPod - the content is not there.

Either Apple has a truly unique content scheme ready for us, or we won't be seeing the Video iPod next week.


What surprises me is that Apple has done nothing since sending out the invitation to debunk the iPod Video news. Apple's happy to have people speculating (incorrectly), but when the NY Times, CNET and BBC are telling the world that the Video iPod is coming, any announcement OTHER than the vPod will DISAPPOINT the audience; Apple doesn't like to disappoint, especially with a "one more thing" announcement. Curious.

Haven't you been reading the posts?

Yes, the content IS there! Just go to the ITMS and look at the huge numbers of music videos they have! That's the initial foot in the door Apple needs - let the MV market take off, and after they're sold a few hundred thousand Music Videos, or more, the studios will perhaps realize that the technology IS ready, using Apple DRM built into the ITMS. They already know that their market is there, people want movies, tv content, etc. All it takes is for someone (Apple?) to show the world that technically, they CAN do it!
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #56 of 113
Can Apple honestly start selling things they (and others) are giving away for free. Just search for "music videos" on google and you'll see loads of sites that have them free. Perhaps offering better quality can help, but I don't see that they can rely on music videos to sell a device, even if the music videos were free.

On the other hand, I noticed today that certain pirating groups are now releasing recordings of TV episodes in UMD format (for PSP), if Apple could get an agreement to do a similar thing for the iPod it would be very successful I imagine, this also ties in quite well with the rumour of somthing happening at the BBC in the UK on the same day.

The BBC are very into experiementing with "new media" (as they call it), so I can see them going for it. Not sure how the US media works, its much more disparate so it might be hard to get a general agreement from them, but perhaps a partnership with Fox and someone else would push sales...
post #57 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by eAi
but perhaps a partnership with Fox and someone else would push sales...

That would be brilliant! Imagine Jobs, Gore and Co helping Fox... ah the irony!!
post #58 of 113
Thats true, but we're talking about content here, content is what matters...
post #59 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
hi mel, meoww!! i thought you were kinda serious when you said "the ds does wireless?"

re: 720p HD on an iPod.
no worries according to my calculations
lets take a 120minute movie. 120 x 60 = 7200 seconds per movie

bitrates for h.264. apple has demonstrated decent quality at
6megabits/second to say 10megabits/sec for 1280x720

6 megabits/second for 7200 seconds conservatively approx. to say 6GB
10 megabits/second for 7200 seconds conservatively approx. to say 10GB

thus, it is possible, using those fantastic base 10 calculations (1,000, 10,000 songs in your pocket etc. etc..) for apple to say:

10 High Definition Movies. In Your Pocket.
The new 100gb iPod VideoHD.

you know that between 6megabits/second and 10megabits/second, for 10 720p 120min movies, say including AAC-encoded 5.1 channel surround or whatever 5.1 surround encoding as per mpeg4 standards, 80gb seems to be the sweet spot here since 100gb drives might be pretty expensive.

given the math above and encoding between 6megabits/sec and 10megabits/sec and the fact that a movie on average is less than a full two hours long, apple could very reasonably market a 80gb iPod Video HiDef as "10 HiDefinition movies. In your pocket."

80gb iPod HiDefinition Edition
[10 HDTV movies] OR [20,000 songs] OR [5 HDTV movies + 10,000 songs]

Yeah, you're right, of course. It was late, somehow I was thinking of something different.

I will have to get after that new punk, rwahrens, though, he has a big mouth.
post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by eAi
Can Apple honestly start selling things they (and others) are giving away for free.

They did it with the iTunes Music Store, .Mac, and iMovie just to name a few. They'd do it again and people would buy.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #61 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
They did it with the iTunes Music Store, .Mac, and iMovie just to name a few. They'd do it again and people would buy.

What did they do with iMovie that was free? I agree that similar solutions to .Mac can be found elsewhere for free. The difference is that current music video sites (like Yahoo's Launch) are legal, whereas ITMS's content was previously free, but illegal. Apple would need to offer 'added-value' like they do with ITMS+iPod - ease of use and quality come to mind. Do people really want portable music videos, we'll see...
post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Yeah, you're right, of course. It was late, somehow I was thinking of something different.

I will have to get after that new punk, rwahrens, though, he has a big mouth.

yeah melgross, all these kids were trash talking ya while you were away
post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
yeah melgross, all these kids were trash talking ya while you were away

It's a shame that when someone disagrees with you, you have to talk trash of your own.

The fact is, there is content Apple can, and will, use for launching a video iPod.

The fact is, that ALL the rumor sites have been talking up the vPod rumors because reliable sources of their own have been telling them it's being worked on.

The fact is that the iTunes Music Store has had music videos (not for download, but for online streaming) for over six months, so yes there IS content they can easily turn around and sell.

Just because you have a different opinion, and I can back up what I'm saying by what others are saying too does not make me a punk.

I'm a tech support professional, I work on both Macs and Wintel boxes, and have a firm grounding in technical issues, and have worked for the Federal government for over thirty years.

If you want to predict that the announcement on next Wednesday will NOT include a vPod, go ahead, you are entitled to your opinion.

I think it's likely, because too many people have seen too many hints from Apple that it is making one.

That's MY opinion, and if ya don't like it, tough!8)
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by rwahrens
It's a shame that when someone disagrees with you, you have to talk trash of your own.

The fact is, there is content Apple can, and will, use for launching a video iPod.

The fact is, that ALL the rumor sites have been talking up the vPod rumors because reliable sources of their own have been telling them it's being worked on.

The fact is that the iTunes Music Store has had music videos (not for download, but for online streaming) for over six months, so yes there IS content they can easily turn around and sell.

Just because you have a different opinion, and I can back up what I'm saying by what others are saying too does not make me a punk.

I'm a tech support professional, I work on both Macs and Wintel boxes, and have a firm grounding in technical issues, and have worked for the Federal government for over thirty years.

If you want to predict that the announcement on next Wednesday will NOT include a vPod, go ahead, you are entitled to your opinion.

I think it's likely, because too many people have seen too many hints from Apple that it is making one.

That's MY opinion, and if ya don't like it, tough!8)

It makes you a punk when the first thing you can say being new here to or about someone you don't know is:

"Are you crazy?"

And the second is:

"just what I was tying to tell that idiot."

The smiley really doesn't make it go away.

There are better ways to respond if you're a professional. I hope that's over with.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. You are entitled to that, as are we all. I've had many years of experience in this business myself, and none of that matters.

I made an unusual type or error, that I don't normally make. Fine.

I simply find that the rumors sites over the years are wrong far more often then they are right, The WSJ is right far more often than it is wrong. I'm simply going by that.

Anything else we say is mere speculation which we all seem to enjoy. We have less than a week to go, then we'll see. My people at Apple are being very close lipped about this whole thing. The only time before they were so untalkative was when I asked about the WSJ Intel article. Usually they give me hints. Not this time.

I would like to see a video iPod though. My guess when the Nano came out was that they would take the Nano's wheel, and put a larger screen in. I still say that it might happen, but that's entirely my guess.
post #65 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
It makes you a punk when the first thing you can say being new here to or about someone you don't know is:

"Are you crazy?"

And the second is:

"just what I was tying to tell that idiot."

The smiley really doesn't make it go away.

There are better ways to respond if you're a professional. I hope that's over with.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. You are entitled to that, as are we all. I've had many years of experience in this business myself, and none of that matters.

I made an unusual type or error, that I don't normally make. Fine.

I simply find that the rumors sites over the years are wrong far more often then they are right, The WSJ is right far more often than it is wrong. I'm simply going by that.

Anything else we say is mere speculation which we all seem to enjoy. We have less than a week to go, then we'll see. My people at Apple are being very close lipped about this whole thing. The only time before they were so untalkative was when I asked about the WSJ Intel article. Usually they give me hints. Not this time.

I would like to see a video iPod though. My guess when the Nano came out was that they would take the Nano's wheel, and put a larger screen in. I still say that it might happen, but that's entirely my guess.


Ok, sorry 'bout the "idiot" remark. But not the 'crazy' thing, tho it wasn't meant as anything but "haven't you been paying attention to the market?"

Apple and all their employees have traditionally been close-lipped about future products - and while some employees have been known in the past to be a bit loose-lipped at times, Apple has really cracked down recently. This next announcement may be big - even if they announce the vPod, there has been some speculation (read this one as "wishful thinking"?) that there may be some new stuff in the computer lines that are getting long in the tooth.

If they really have some surprises, that would definitely explain things.

But did you read the article over on Insanely Great Mac (http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5356) about the accidental release of an article by the BBC about a vPod? That has some whiff of possibility to it.

And, actually, I think it's interesting you describe the nano click wheel idea - that's exactly what I've read elsewhere that industry sources have described as a possible configuration, with the screen configuration being sideways to get the right ratio. That might make the small picture easier to see.

And as for the rumor sites being wrong, well, they ARE just rumor sites, after all, and being Mac fans like those of us who read them, I'm sure that they have bouts of wishful thinking just like the rest of us, and don't we all tend to believe things that seem to confirm our fondest hopes? I never heard them claim to be anything other than just someplace for all of us to hear the latest rumors - tho sometimes they do seem to have better sources, at least sometimes.

For me, I like to surf the different sites and pick up the hints where they fall. If I hear the same thing more than once, in different ways, over a period of time, like I've heard this vPod thing, well, it just seems to have a clearer ring to it.

<edit>

Oh, and just because my profile says 'junior member doesn't mean I'm necessarily "new" - just that I only recently started actually posting.

Although I don't see how that matters to the validity of my remarks.

You might not like the tone I take - that's fine - I think your tone is a bit too superior - but opinions are like faces - everybody's got one, we all like showing them off, and most of us take considerable pleasure in fiddling with them from time to time, and rarely like actually changing them (but think others always need changing)!

(and, yes, I really AM sorry for the 'idiot' remark - that's not typical of me to do that.)
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
"TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!" Lazarus Long in 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' by Robert Heinlein.
Reply
post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by rwahrens
Ok, sorry 'bout the "idiot" remark. But not the 'crazy' thing, tho it wasn't meant as anything but "haven't you been paying attention to the market?"

Apple and all their employees have traditionally been close-lipped about future products - and while some employees have been known in the past to be a bit loose-lipped at times, Apple has really cracked down recently. This next announcement may be big - even if they announce the vPod, there has been some speculation (read this one as "wishful thinking"?) that there may be some new stuff in the computer lines that are getting long in the tooth.

If they really have some surprises, that would definitely explain things.

But did you read the article over on Insanely Great Mac (http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5356) about the accidental release of an article by the BBC about a vPod? That has some whiff of possibility to it.

And, actually, I think it's interesting you describe the nano click wheel idea - that's exactly what I've read elsewhere that industry sources have described as a possible configuration, with the screen configuration being sideways to get the right ratio. That might make the small picture easier to see.

And as for the rumor sites being wrong, well, they ARE just rumor sites, after all, and being Mac fans like those of us who read them, I'm sure that they have bouts of wishful thinking just like the rest of us, and don't we all tend to believe things that seem to confirm our fondest hopes? I never heard them claim to be anything other than just someplace for all of us to hear the latest rumors - tho sometimes they do seem to have better sources, at least sometimes.

For me, I like to surf the different sites and pick up the hints where they fall. If I hear the same thing more than once, in different ways, over a period of time, like I've heard this vPod thing, well, it just seems to have a clearer ring to it.

<edit>

Oh, and just because my profile says 'junior member doesn't mean I'm necessarily "new" - just that I only recently started actually posting.

Although I don't see how that matters to the validity of my remarks.

You might not like the tone I take - that's fine - I think your tone is a bit too superior - but opinions are like faces - everybody's got one, we all like showing them off, and most of us take considerable pleasure in fiddling with them from time to time, and rarely like actually changing them (but think others always need changing)!

(and, yes, I really AM sorry for the 'idiot' remark - that's not typical of me to do that.)


Jr. member does mean number of interactions with other members. Lurking is different. We all get pissed off when someone repeats strange, odd remarks and doesn't listen. But you have to give someone a chance to correct what they say before jumping on them, unless they started out that way.

I've got friends in Apple's engineering management that I've known for many years. They usually give me tidbits, hints, sideways suggestions. They've been pretty helpful. I've been able to give good information here before events or releases happen.

When I know facts, I present them as such. When I have an opinion, I present that as well.

It's been pointed out before that I'm not perfect. I'd rather not be an adversary.
post #67 of 113
countdown timer (sorry, non-interactive, but it is off my working flash code. please shout out if any innacuracies)
timer is accurate as of post time recorded by forum engine (note that this is recorded by the bulletin board as GMT):

time left till apple financial results (conf. call)
0 days
13 hours
8 minutes
.
time left till apple product release (san jose)
1 days
9 hours
8 minutes
post #68 of 113
No new music Tuesday today? Hmmm...
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #69 of 113
(edit: fixing bug, please hold...)
post #70 of 113
time left till apple financial results
0 days
11 hours
50 minutes

time left till apple product release
1 days
8 hours
50 minutes

(man, all this date handling stuff is not as easy as it seems \ )
post #71 of 113
Bodog has the odds if anyone wants to actually put their money where their mouth is.

What will Apple unveil at its press event on October 12th?


Any wagers placed after outcome becomes public knowledge will be graded as No Action. No Refunds. If more than one product/upgrade/offering is announced on the Oct.12th, 2005 press conference, all wagers will have NO ACTION. If none of the options listed below is announced, all wagers will have No Action.


Upgrade version of iPod
\t2/1

Video iPod
\t6/5

Updated versions of Power Mac and Powerbook
\t2/1

Airport Express with Video
\t3/1

Itunes Video Store
\t11/2

Tiered Pricing for Itunes songs
\t6/1

Apple Game Console
\t7/1

OSX for PC
\t9/1

--B
...


...
Reply
...


...
Reply
post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
No new music Tuesday today? Hmmm...

Sometimes it does come up a little later on in the day - too early to say just now.
post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by bergz
Bodog has the odds if anyone wants to actually put their money where their mouth is.

What will Apple unveil at its press event on October 12th?


Any wagers placed after outcome becomes public knowledge will be graded as No Action. No Refunds. If more than one product/upgrade/offering is announced on the Oct.12th, 2005 press conference, all wagers will have NO ACTION. If none of the options listed below is announced, all wagers will have No Action.


Upgrade version of iPod
\t2/1

Video iPod
\t6/5

Updated versions of Power Mac and Powerbook
\t2/1

Airport Express with Video
\t3/1

Itunes Video Store
\t11/2

Tiered Pricing for Itunes songs
\t6/1

Apple Game Console
\t7/1

OSX for PC
\t9/1

--B


that's weird that more than one announcment results in NO ACTIOn. most likely updated iPod and updated powermacs/powerbooks, those two items with 2:1 odds
post #74 of 113
Itunes Video Store
11/2

I like these odds
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
that's weird that more than one announcment results in NO ACTIOn. most likely updated iPod and updated powermacs/powerbooks, those two items with 2:1 odds

That's what I thought; house will win that no matter what. If it's an iTVS then a video iPod and/or at least an update to the iPod. I can't see any ONE item on that list being bet-worthy, given the no action if more than two occur.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #76 of 113
gambling 101: the House always wins
edit:
does No Action means you lose whatever you put down?
post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
gambling 101: the House always wins
edit:
does No Action means you lose whatever you put down?

Maybe they could give great odds on all of them happening...
.. that'd be worth a $5 bet.... 1000:1 at least....
... especially if you include the Mad-onna iPod at 12:1.
post #78 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
time left till apple financial results
0 days
11 hours
50 minutes

time left till apple product release
1 days
8 hours
50 minutes

(man, all this date handling stuff is not as easy as it seems \ )

I fugured that you would do this.

I'm just ticked that I've got a parents association meeting tonite that I have to leave for at 4:30 Eastern time so I'll miss it as it comes out, and might not see it until ten in the evening.
post #79 of 113
hey mel, no worries, the news is all out now. check out the after-hours trading appleinsider article. since you're in nyc, which puts you closer to the Street than most of us , maybe you could answer my question there about WTF exactly is after hours trading and how does it work....

heh. i've got a few days left on my .mac before apple shuts it down (i'm not renewing for another year, thanks gmail! so i'll rejig the flash thingy and see if i can post it up on .mac public_html for the product launch countdown. i feel i got it working quite well now, works regardless of what timezone your computer is set to. date handling is bloody annoying but it was important for me to re-familiarize myself with the state of flash8 actionscripting... slowly trying to get back into flash coding. y'all wish me luck, yah....
post #80 of 113
gotta run, no countdown timer. but anyway manual entry here:
less than 15 hours to One More Thing after AAPL announced its greatest quarter ever.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple to hold special event on Oct 12