or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › So what is it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So what is it?

Poll Results: So what is it?

 
  • 24% (51)
    Video iPod
  • 40% (85)
    PowerBook/PowerMac upgrade
  • 20% (44)
    Uhmm...hmmm...???
  • 14% (30)
    Airport Extreme Video
210 Total Votes  
post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Vote on what you think it is
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #2 of 65
I've edited the poll to include a PB/PM upgrade choice.

Duelling rumour sites!
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #3 of 65
I don't believe that it is iPod related since the iPod nano is still too fresh and surely Apple would not like to distract its customers with another iPod_something so close to the end of the year. Second, TS confirmed that it is PM/PB updates . So there my vote.
post #4 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution
I've edited the poll to include a PB/PM upgrade choice.

Duelling rumour sites!

I've got to vote in favor of AI on this one.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #5 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
I've got to vote in favor of AI on this one.

I'll have to vote in favor of common sense on this (PM update)
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #6 of 65
I don't understand the theory that it's PowerBook/PowerMac updates. Since when has Jobs had a special event for updates? I sincerely doubt even a dual core PowerMac would warrant a special event like this, and certainly not an updated PowerBook, unless they were going Intel really, really early, which is highly doubtful. And it doesn't make sense to release new form factors for those machines until they put Intel into them. There has to be something else that isn't being predicted if it's about Mac updates.

Sorry ThinkSecret, but I'm going with a new iPod. And I don't think they care about cannibalization of the nano. They probably make a larger profit off of each regular iPod than each nano anyway.
post #7 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
I don't understand the theory that it's PowerBook/PowerMac updates. Since when has Jobs had a special event for updates? I sincerely doubt even a dual core PowerMac would warrant a special event like this, and certainly not an updated PowerBook, unless they were going Intel really, really early, which is highly doubtful. And it doesn't make sense to release new form factors for those machines until they put Intel into them. There has to be something else that isn't being predicted if it's about Mac updates.

Sorry ThinkSecret, but I'm going with a new iPod. And I don't think they care about cannibalization of the nano. They probably make a larger profit off of each regular iPod than each nano anyway.

I can't understand why anyone would believe or want a less then 2" squared iPod video? Know anyone with similar devices on the market? Didn't think so. Additionally, it's just poor business to release competing products sop close to each other.

Dual core over 3 ghz is a big deal. Also, itunes selling movies is a big deal. Airport Express with video streaming from your just downloaded thru iTunes movie is a big deal.

Watching video on a matchbook sized screen that I need to sit there and hold for two hours is beyond ridiculous at any price, much less $400+

The Nano costs $99 to make, so they make $100 profit off each one of the millions they will sell.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #8 of 65
I can't see a new powerbook being released next week unless its with an Intel chip or the Freescale dual core 8641D processor. (According to Freescale, the chip is not due to go into production until next year. And we know what Steve Jobs said about the Intel timeline).

- Mark
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
... Also, itunes selling movies is a big deal. Airport Express with video streaming from your just downloaded thru iTunes movie is a big deal. ...

I wanted to vote for Airport Extreme Video (or whatever you want to call it) with the Airport Extreme Remote we've been waiting for all this time, but there wasn't an option for that, so I selected Video iPod. FTM, maybe it'll just be the remote.
post #10 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
I wanted to vote for Airport Extreme Video (or whatever you want to call it) with the Airport Extreme Remote we've been waiting for all this time, but there wasn't an option for that, so I selected Video iPod. FTM, maybe it'll just be the remote.

Honestly, what's a bigger seller? A $100-$150 AE with streaming video to watch your $8 movie just downloaded thru itunes on your big screen TV?

or...

PAying $400 to watch Spiderman on a business card?

Does Apple get sued for the elbow tendonitis from holding it up to your face for 2 hours?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #11 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
I can't understand why anyone would believe or want a less then 2" squared iPod video? Know anyone with similar devices on the market? Didn't think so. Additionally, it's just poor business to release competing products sop close to each other.

Dual core over 3 ghz is a big deal. Also, itunes selling movies is a big deal. Airport Express with video streaming from your just downloaded thru iTunes movie is a big deal.

Watching video on a matchbook sized screen that I need to sit there and hold for two hours is beyond ridiculous at any price, much less $400+

Of course a video iPod would require greatly expanded iTMS video content. I think people are assuming they would go together. There is virtually no (legal) content otherwise. And it would have to include some kind of dock, wireless or otherwise, to view content on a TV. You're right, a video iPod designed solely to watch videos on a small screen makes no sense, but I don't think anyone believes that's what this would be. It would have to include both expanded iTMS video content and some type of dock or hub - perhaps wireless - for viewing elsewhere.
Quote:
The Nano costs $99 to make, so they make $100 profit off each one of the millions they will sell.

My guess is that the regular iPod, including a video-capable iPod, makes an even higher profit margin than the nano. In any case, a special event for Mac updates makes no sense. He only does these for totally new products.
post #12 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
I wanted to vote for Airport Extreme Video (or whatever you want to call it) with the Airport Extreme Remote we've been waiting for all this time, but there wasn't an option for that, so I selected Video iPod. FTM, maybe it'll just be the remote.

Option added and your vote transfered.

If anyone else have other options please tell and we can add them (no not a flying spagetti monster/Apple merger. Serious suggestions please)
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #13 of 65
My order of the possibilities:

1) New product that's NOT an iPod OR a Mac.
2) iPod video/iPod redesign
3) Intel Power Macs
4) Airport Extreme Video
5) Intel Powerbooks
6) PM/PB speed bumps

Whatever it is, I have a feeling everyone will want one for Christmas.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #14 of 65
Guys guys guys...

Nobody said it has a 2.5 inch screen. Could be smaller. COULD BE BIGGER.
Nobody said the iPod Nano can't get a flash update to support it.

I don't see any problems with the gossip. Movie curtains means movies. Can't be *that* hard to grasp.

What *OTHER* product updates got special invitations? Okay then....
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #15 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
What *OTHER* product updates got special invitations? Okay then....

iBook dual USB
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
iBook dual USB

My point exactly. A new product. There only thing those products shared were a name. If it were a change.. it would be a *whole new* change. I really can't call the Dual USB iBook an update. Which is why I don't think this will be an update.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
My point exactly. A new product. There only thing those products shared were a name. If it were a change.. it would be a *whole new* change. I really can't call the Dual USB iBook an update. Which is why I don't think this will be an update.

If a dual USB iBook is a new product, then how a dual dual-core Power Mac with a redesigned board (hopefully with PCIe graphics) is not a new product? The last Power Mac update was a joke and Apple knows this. Besides the Power Mac is essentially unaltered from its birth, more than two years from then. Apple is well aware of the problems this can make.

But who knows, perhaps they count too much on the iPod and related stuff. Otherwise how one could explain this? I forgot for how long it goes like that without new computers on the display.
post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Option added and your vote transfered.

If anyone else have other options please tell and we can add them (no not a flying spagetti monster/Apple merger. Serious suggestions please)

Yea, my vote for the AE video streaming (if it's not the dual core which I'm waiting for)
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
Reply
post #19 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I don't see any problems with the gossip. Movie curtains means movies. Can't be *that* hard to grasp.

Now that I am thinking again about this, you may be right after all. I had forgot about this: www.apple.com/movies. It is "Forbidden", not error.
post #20 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
Now that I am thinking again about this, you may be right after all. I had forgot about this: www.apple.com/movies. It is "Forbidden", not error.

Damn. Thats a screw up of proportions. normally you would get this: http://www.apple.com/404

It actually tells me that I am not allowed to access movies on that server
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #21 of 65
I think we can be pretty sure that it has to do with movies, as mentioned before, because of the red curtains in Apple's message.

But I think videoclips or full length video on an iPod alone are not interesting enough for a "One More Thing"-event.

An online video hiring model like iTunes would be interesting though. Like iTunes, but with different conditions, like copying only once and viewing max 3 times.

Combined with an iTunes Video Store, a vPod for family car trips, Airport Extreme Video and even a new "Home Pod" device could all suddenly be interesting enough for a special event on october 12th...
post #22 of 65
What video content has not got licensing issues and people actually do want to see???
Friends and family and lovers. Live.
My money is on something new incorporating an iSight and iChat
that connects to your TV (and stereo).
And Just Works (tm)...
Besides this great stuff, off course also integration with iTunes and the rest of iLife.
post #23 of 65
Several people have pointed out that why would Apple want to possibly cannibalize the iPod nano's "oomph" by releasing another iPod-like device so shortly after.

My response is this. Either it is a brilliant marketing strategy, such that the nano would get some serious coverage all on its own, or because it wasn't ready by the time of the unveiling. My guess is that it is a Video iPod. I, personally, see some huge advantages for this:
  • Be able to take family movies anywhere (without the need of a DVD player)
  • See movies on the road.
  • Possibly used as a storage device for your movies, after yoiu shoot them (without a computer).

Yes, some of that is far-fetched, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Also, the whole "Movie Curtain" thing. Apple is famous for leaving little hints as to what is going to happen. They did it with the nano/Phone, why not this?

A PowerMac/PowerBook upgrade just does not seem to be the correct answer in this case.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #24 of 65
Video enabled iPod. If nothing else, let people take their pirated movies and iMovies on the road with them. Even better (and more likely if the video iPod is introduced) would be the availability of new content due to studio partnerships.


Slightly off topic: I take issue with people's calling a video-enabled iPod a "vPod." The implication there is that "i" stands for something relating to music, sound, or other audio playback.
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
Reply
In a fast German car I'm amazed that I survived. An airbag saved my life. - Radiohead
Reply
post #25 of 65
It's ridiculously obvious that it's going to be a video-capable iPod.

1) The invitation graphic.
2) www.apple.com/movies
3) The BBC slip.
4) iTunes/nano firmware icons.

If I'm wrong, I'm fairly sure there's someone around here who still owes us an act of autofellatio.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
Reply
post #26 of 65
PowerMacs and PowerBooks and iMacs anyone? The iMac shipping for custom orders - e.g., add more memory - changed from 1-3 days to 5-7 days. Also, the PowerMac 2.0 and 2.3 CTO times have also changed for the 2Ghz from 1-3 days to 5-7, and for the 2.3GHz 7-10 days. So I voted for TS plus iMacs.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
Reply
post #27 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Eggleston
Several people have pointed out that why would Apple want to possibly cannibalize the iPod nano's "oomph" by releasing another iPod-like device so shortly after.

It's simple why Apple would do such a thing. Apple would do it in a heart beat if it was a higher profit margin product of at least equivalent revenue.
post #28 of 65
I vote for "Uhmm...hmmm...???" It'll by like when Apple introduced the original iPod as a revolutionary digital media product and everyone said, "What the frell! That's revolutionary? It's just an expensive MP3 player."
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
Sorry ThinkSecret, but I'm going with a new iPod. And I don't think they care about cannibalization of the nano. They probably make a larger profit off of each regular iPod than each nano anyway.

What I don't understand, is why Apple would go into the Christmas season with a refresh to only one of their iPod lines. The Nano is great, but it has limited storage, and only comes in two colors.
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution

2) www.apple.com/movies

Isn't that just the directory where they store all of the quicktime videos on their site? Check out the source code for any page with an embedded TV ad...

Why not a PowerBook G5? Something everybody wanted just a few months ago, and now is possible because of this: 970FX
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Doxxic
I think we can be pretty sure that it has to do with movies, as mentioned before, because of the red curtains in Apple's message.

But I think videoclips or full length video on an iPod alone are not interesting enough for a "One More Thing"-event.

An online video hiring model like iTunes would be interesting though. Like iTunes, but with different conditions, like copying only once and viewing max 3 times.

Combined with an iTunes Video Store, a vPod for family car trips, Airport Extreme Video and even a new "Home Pod" device could all suddenly be interesting enough for a special event on october 12th...

"Drawing the curtain on Power PC...Apple brings you the last Powerbook G4 and PowerMac G5".

Did someone say Apple Newton? I could have sworn a larger iPod with video would be a spitting image (minus monochrome screen)
human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on
which we hammer out tunes to make bears
dance when we long to move the stars to
pity.
Reply
human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on
which we hammer out tunes to make bears
dance when we long to move the stars to
pity.
Reply
post #32 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
Vote on what you think it is


Here is what I think;
Oct 12 - launch Video iPod (allows you to play music video on you iPod and therefore in you TV. Apple announces Beatles law suite settlement and now Beatles music, video's and movies can play on the iPod. Special Beatles iPod video available.

Jan (macworld SF) - iLife and QT update now allows you to move iMovies and QT video to your iPod and play them. AE A/V 802.11n- allows users to stream iMovies and QT movies to the TV just like Airtunes does for Music.

September '06 - iPod Phone. Combination of iPod and Cell phone. Also releaseing Mac Mini PVR. It is the size of the Mac Mini, but the front face plate has an iPod-like screen on the left and scroll wheel in the right. The menu system is the same as iPod. The Apple Mini PVR plugs into TV and Stereo, holds music and video. It also streams Music and Video to any TV or speakers attached to new AE A/V. Along with Mac Mini PVR, .Mac is updated with same tv listings for web based recording controls similar to other PVR offerings.
post #33 of 65
It is a Red curtain and all that may imply, does anyone have any information? The rumor sites are abuzz would like to see a new improved PowerBook. but not so sure it's coming. Probably a new and improved iPod, but with a red curtain it seems video related?
post #34 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by NeedAnewMac
It is a Red curtain and all that may imply, does anyone have any information? The rumor sites are abuzz would like to see a new improved PowerBook. but not so sure it's coming. Probably a new and improved iPod, but with a red curtain it seems video related?

Think about a HD Powerbook 17". Remember the "leaked" documentation back in the last Powerbook update about a 1920 x 1200 display (the built-in one) for the 17" model. If a Powerbook update is really coming, it should certainly include this one.
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Reid
Why not a PowerBook G5? Something everybody wanted just a few months ago, and now is possible because of this: 970FX

Unless there is a secret 1.8 GHz 970fx running at max 25-30 Watts - IBM doesn't have it in their documentation - there isn't much point in a 1.6 GHz Powerbook G5. 1 year ago, sure, not today.

Sure like to see something in the 1.8 to 2 GHz range though.
post #36 of 65
Video Podcasting?

Couldn't that be a good reason to have iPod video, besides music clips, if no scheme for hiring long video online is ready yet?

So anyone could make their own tv shows?
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Doxxic
Video Podcasting?

Couldn't that be a good reason to have iPod video, besides music clips, if no scheme for hiring long video online is ready yet?

So anyone could make their own tv shows?

Cool idea. iMovie, FCP, etc... yeah... I like that idea.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
Cool idea. iMovie, FCP, etc... yeah... I like that idea.

If it works, Video Podcasting could become a way for Apple to improve their position in probably tough negotiations with video publishers...

It could mean a twist to the economics of video publishing, since small movie mavericks may attract sponsors that would otherwise have to pay a lot if they had to reach their audiences through big media companies.
post #39 of 65
Let's stay on this video podcasting line of thinking:

There could be a WHOLE NEW market for this that people haven't ever though of. Families all over can use their DV camcorders to create little home movies to send to friends and family. Those people then upload those videos to their iPods to watch while they're out and about and to show to others.

Home movies would become the new digital pictures. Up to now we've had people sharing digital pictures through e-mail and online galleries. Why not videos?

This *could* kick-start the video sharing revolution and encourage people to do more with their home movies than just stick them on a shelf.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #40 of 65
I'm waiting for MOSR to post their prediction before I cast my vote. They usually get around to it a few hours after a Stevenote.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
Reply
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › So what is it?