or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Outage

Outage

post #1 of 56
Where were you guys? Dreaming about iPod videos?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #2 of 56
Ya'll might want to update your "away message" next time. Steve Jobs announced the Intel transition a while back.

By the way, will we see the boards shut down during Steve's "One More Thing..." announcement next week?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #3 of 56
We were throwing an Internet party with babes and dinosaurs.

It was SO AWESOME!
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #4 of 56
I missed the party? DANG IT!
post #5 of 56
It seems the MacNN servers still cannot withstand a slashdotting...
post #6 of 56
This is like an old fashioned media frency.

EVERYONE is screaming running around (virtually speaking) yelling "WTF IS APPLE DOING???"

Bet Apple Marketing is eating this up.
post #7 of 56
so, what was that about?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #8 of 56
Another internet party. This time we didn't invite the dinosaurs.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by audiopollution

Babes dig Dino-Dick
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #10 of 56
I happen to be over at 'Nova where they were predicting the demise of the AppleInsider forums. Do they realize they are just a hyperlink from the "not_the_best_rumor_site"?

nova
no|va «NOH vuh», noun, plural -vae «-vee», -vas.
a star that suddenly becomes much brighter and then gradually fades, to its normal brightness.

or

a star that ejects some of its material in the form of a cloud and become more luminous in the process

I think they've ejected all of their... uh... material already.
post #11 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
[B]I happen to be over at 'Nova where they were predicting the demise of the AppleInsider forums. Do they realize they are just a hyperlink from the "not_the_best_rumor_site"?

For those who care, the thread referred to is here.

I for one don't see any predictions of AI's demise… in fact, it was remarkably good humoured for once.
I'm lacto-enzyme-oxy intolerant!
I use breathatarian-based emollient
Meditation makes me ebullient!
I've never earned a day's emolument.
post #12 of 56
What revolution? What old tricks?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
What revolution? What old tricks?

On the assumption the above questions are neither rhetorical nor ironic, the occasionally rather acrimonious and weird discussions about it at AN can be found here.

I really wouldn't bother if I were you.
post #14 of 56
Quote:

Weak.
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
Weak.

So harsh. It's a holiday. Get some more sleep.

Don't you think that, if any of the mods knew what was up, we'd tell you? Even now that we're at the point of having the forums back up we're still in the dark as to the reason for this latest outage.
post #16 of 56
I thought some notice on the frontpage would have been nice. I understood the forums were down when the VB message was shown, but once the homepage was shown instead I didn't know what was really going on.

Gave me shivers, thinking about the great AI blackout of years past.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
I thought some notice on the frontpage would have been nice. I understood the forums were down when the VB message was shown, but once the homepage was shown instead I didn't know what was really going on.

Gave me shivers, thinking about the great AI blackout of years past.

The mods don't have access to editing the frontpage so if the board goes down it's up to the sysadmin or Kasper to figure it out. I was hoping it was an upgrade to vB 3.5! No dice.

The redirect to the frontpage was odd.
post #18 of 56
Maybe the server decided it wanted more FREE IPOD ads and got lost in the popups for a few days.
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb
Maybe the server decided it wanted more FREE IPOD ads and got lost in the popups for a few days.

Perhaps.

The beauty of targeted ads is that, up here, I rarely see any of the annoying ads. I do get an inordinate amount of CDW and Vonage banners, though.

Regardless ... fucking banners.
post #20 of 56
How does AI bypass the firefox popup blocker BTW?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
How does AI bypass the firefox popup blocker BTW?

Guile.

Actually, I have no idea. Clever code-monkeys somewhere. Obviously, Firefox needs some work.
post #22 of 56
Quote:
So harsh. It's a holiday. Get some more sleep.

Don't you think that, if any of the mods knew what was up, we'd tell you? Even now that we're at the point of having the forums back up we're still in the dark as to the reason for this latest outage.

Sorry mate. Nothing personal. But us junkies who couldn't get our AI fix feared the worse. Apple Legal team wrangling comes to mind... and if AI just went away...I'd be forced to get a life.
post #23 of 56
Apologies for the short outage. We have been experiencing an extraordinary amount of traffic recently due to upcoming Apple announcement and something seems to have fallen over (not the Cube that we were once hosted on ).

More info soon but we're not going anywhere.

J
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by staphbaby
For those who care, the thread referred to is here.

I for one don't see any predictions of AI's demise… in fact, it was remarkably good humoured for once.

The title of the thread is "Whither AI Forums?" and the final sentence in the first post is "Are the forums going to be killed?"

They sometimes take jabs at AI and I thought I'd hit 'em back. BTW, I'm a registered member at 'Nova too.
post #25 of 56
Quote:
BTW, I'm a registered member at 'Nova too.

Traitor!
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
Traitor!

I got caught up in all the hype during the revolution. Can you ever forgive me? PLEASE!!
post #27 of 56
Quote:
The title of the thread is "Whither AI Forums?" and the final sentence in the first post is "Are the forums going to be killed?"

They sometimes take jabs at AI and I thought I'd hit 'em back. BTW, I'm a registered member at 'Nova too.

It didn't occur to you that the OP was actually genuinely concerned? Given the weird redirect and the length of time involved I think that was a pretty natural reaction. Besides which, the sentiment (such as it was) wasn't continued for the rest of the thread.

You need to take a deep breath and calm down.
post #28 of 56
just some good natured kidding.

relax.

(i think the way the pop ups work here is through java scripting. I'd guess turning that off might get rid of the last tenascious popups.)

or browse with Firefox and NoScript.
post #29 of 56
Quote:
(i think the way the pop ups work here is through java scripting. I'd guess turning that off might get rid of the last tenascious popups.)

or browse with Firefox and NoScript. [/B]

The PithHelmet Site Preferences would be a pretty good option, I would think. Ditto the Site Preferences in OW.
post #30 of 56
Quote:
I happen to be over at 'Nova where they were predicting the demise of the AppleInsider forums.

I thought we were pretty well behaved.

The devils that drive us do not discriminate
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by alcimedes
just some good natured kidding.

relax.

or browse with Firefox and NoScript.

alcimedes, how's 'nova's folding team doing?
post #32 of 56
nevermind.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
alcimedes, how's 'nova's folding team doing?

Slot 134 and counting!!!
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Slot 134 and counting!!!

Paul, what name are you folding under?

What's up with alcimedes? He's out-folding me on his old team/my current team (Team Mac OS X) plus what he's dong on 'Nova's team.
post #35 of 56
sadly all I have folding is my 1.8 iMac G5 so I'm currently at the 21 spot on the team.
post #36 of 56
heh...AN needn't talk about blackouts. They have them, what, oh...every week or so? And for all the laughing AN'ers out there, need I remind you where you came the last time YOUR server was down.

You people bickering never seems to get old.
My computer can beat up your computer.
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
sadly all I have folding is my 1.8 iMac G5 so I'm currently at the 21 spot on the team.

That fact that you contribute is what's important.
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
heh...AN needn't talk about blackouts. They have them, what, oh...every week or so? And for all the laughing AN'ers out there, need I remind you where you came the last time YOUR server was down.

You people bickering never seems to get old.

The way I read the posts in the thread most of them were positive, and if any 'remarks' were made they were done tongue in cheek and were made by people who have a long history on the boards. Yes, the people of AN were happy that we were allowed a place at AI to reconnect so to speak and I thought it went a long in repairing the 'rift' that some people still harbour. Just as AN was happy to host a thread about AI so people could be informed.

The split is done, and a merge is very unlikely to happen. It is time to move on and accept the fact.

I am active at both forums, and have been the whole time. The forums are not mutually exclusive.
post #39 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by Omega
The way I read the posts in the thread most of them were positive, and if any 'remarks' were made they were done tongue in cheek and were made by people who have a long history on the boards. Yes, the people of AN were happy that we were allowed a place at AI to reconnect so to speak and I thought it went a long in repairing the 'rift' that some people still harbour. Just as AN was happy to host a thread about AI so people could be informed.

The split is done, and a merge is very unlikely to happen. It is time to move on and accept the fact.

I am active at both forums, and have been the whole time. The forums are not mutually exclusive.

and yet it seems that there are a whole bunch of "bash AI" threads at AN (a whole archived forum if I'm not mistaken), whereas "bash AN" threads are well, nonexistant or at least hidden here.
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally posted by mynamehere
and yet it seems that there are a whole bunch of "bash AI" threads at AN (a whole archived forum if I'm not mistaken), whereas "bash AN" threads are well, nonexistant or at least hidden here.

The majority of those posts are well in the past. Where it should be.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feedback
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › Feedback › Outage