or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What Linux for Mac?

What Linux for Mac? - Page 2

post #41 of 50
[quote]Actually, AppleNut, that's entirely false. With the exception of clockspeed switching, which, to be honest, I never use, Linux supports all power features, like sleep, configurable HD spindown,screen dimming/blanking etc. It also supports media bay hot swapping, etc etc.<hr></blockquote>

that's great to hear. I honestly have not tried a PPC Linux in a couple of years and that was not the case back then.

How's battery life compared to the Mac OS? Because Mac OS does some under the hood stuff. ie: OS 9 and OS X I have the same power saving settings on yet I get a lot more life out of OS 9 for some reason.

[quote]
Also, BootX, Quik and YaBoot bootloaders obviously all make really low system calls. Quik is basically an OF script, and I imagine so is Yaboot.<hr></blockquote>

correct me if I'm wrong but the beige g3s and other pre UMA G3 motherboards did not have openfirmware, correct?

Because from what I understand openfirmware is a lot more "open" then what Apple was previously using. That could be a reason that last year there were reports that Be was testing BeOS 5.5/6 on PowerMac G4 systems
post #42 of 50
[quote]that's great to hear. I honestly have not tried a PPC Linux in a couple of years and that was not the case back then.<hr></blockquote>
LOL! Yeah, a lot has happened in the last 2 years or so since I first screwed around in Linux. It's a lot more polished these days. Still a ways to go, but getting closer...
[quote]
How's battery life compared to the Mac OS? Because Mac OS does some under the hood stuff. ie: OS 9 and OS X I have the same power saving settings on yet I get a lot more life out of OS 9 for some reason.
<hr></blockquote>
AFA sleep goes, excellent. To be honest though, I usually plug my PB in. But on the whole, I'd say it's pretty close to par with OS9. Mind you, I don't have many power settings tweaked in 9, anyway, as I like a snappy system. I usually have APM tuner cranked to max, etc.

One nifty thing I discovered last week is that if the battery gets to like 3%, the system beeps and goes to sleep, like in Mac OS.
[quote]
correct me if I'm wrong but the beige g3s and other pre UMA G3 motherboards did not have openfirmware, correct?

Because from what I understand openfirmware is a lot more "open" then what Apple was previously using. That could be a reason that last year there were reports that Be was testing BeOS 5.5/6 on PowerMac G4 systems<hr></blockquote>

All macs since I think the 604 have OF, I believe. Just some have broken or lame OF. Like on the 7200, there's openFW, but no screen/keyboard support, so you have to use serial ports.

On my PBG3, getting into OF is a real hit/miss thing... If I pray to the jinx gods, CMD-OPT-O-F works about 1 in 3 times.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
post #43 of 50
Here's a question.

I just split my 40 GB disk in half for Mac OS and YDL. I think I may want a partition to move files between the two. What format should I use for that. It seems UFS would be the best? What do you all think?
post #44 of 50
HFS (NOT HFS+!) works swell. You can add a line to /etc/fstab to mount it somewhere on boot. My small crossover partition is 'REMUS' (My main Mac Partition is 'ROMULUS'), and mounts at /mnt/REMUS/ when the system starts up.

The only catches I've got are 1) I have to be root to remove/move stuff to REMUS and 2) transferring huge files can cause crashes.

I mainly keep mp3s on REMUS so I don't have duplicates on ext2 and hfs+, thus wasting disk space.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
post #45 of 50
Oh I get it now. Linux can do HFS but not HFS+.

:cool:
post #46 of 50
You can mount HFS+, and read it (if compiled into the kernel), but not write to it.

But yeah, linux does HFS.
post #47 of 50
:cool:

I now have 15GB for Mac OS, 15 for YDL and the rest ~8 for shared.
post #48 of 50
[quote]Originally posted by stimuli:
<strong>

All macs since I think the 604 have OF, I believe. Just some have broken or lame OF. Like on the 7200, there's openFW, but no screen/keyboard support, so you have to use serial ports.

On my PBG3, getting into OF is a real hit/miss thing... If I pray to the jinx gods, CMD-OPT-O-F works about 1 in 3 times.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

great to hear about the sleep.

so my 9500 should have open firmware?

guess I'll go give it a shot. learn something new everyday
post #49 of 50
yeah, but it sounds like the 9500 OF is wacky too:

[quote]
output-device/ATY,mach64
May need to disconnect the internal cdrom drive to boot from any device<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#9500" target="_blank">http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#9500</a>
post #50 of 50
Ahhhhhhhh!

Can you feel the YDL goodness
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › What Linux for Mac?