or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Image shows fifth-gen iPod case, accessories

Image shows fifth-gen iPod case, accessories

post #1 of 36
post #2 of 36
That's a very weird collage!

What's the case lined with? The old Apple belt cases were just a bit abrasive (not what you want).

I like that it's not a black case. I never liked that look for the old case.
post #3 of 36
That firewire cable... is it out of place? I hope not, seeing as my iBook G3 doesn't have USB 2.0...
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by OllieWallieWhiskers
That firewire cable... is it out of place? I hope not, seeing as my iBook G3 doesn't have USB 2.0...

I know that it doesn't come with that firewire cable, only a USB cable (according to Apple's new iPod tech spec pages that list the included stuff), so that picture is a bit misleading. The question on many people's minds is...does it still work with firewire like previous iPod that didn't ship with a firewire cable, if you buy a cable separately? From reading various forums and such today, it seems some people are assuming it DOESN'T work for firewire anymore becaue all the iPod info pages about it don't mention FW anywhere at all, and some people are assuming it DOES. I'm not sure. It's possible that removing FW capability saved space inside via removing a chip or two, but I was under the impression that FW and USB connection was supplied via the same chip (chipset) in the thing, so that removing FW capability would take MORE reengineering from the last iPod gen rather than LESS, and would also not save any internal space at all. So, hmm. I don't think anyone knows for sure right now. We'll have to wait until someone gets their hands on one and tries it out.

- JonYo
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by OllieWallieWhiskers

I'm noticing that an article on Maccentral.com (links to playlistmag, http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/10/...ance/index.php ) says that the new video ipod will charge via FW, but will not sync via it anymore. I don't know where they're getting that info though, as I don't see anything saying that explicitly on Apple's info pages about the new ipod.

Kind of a bummer that the remote port is now gone, so my TenTechnology IR remote wouldn't work with these new models, nor would my Griffin Tech AirClick. 's ok, I'm not selling my 60GB ipod photo anytime soon...

- JonYo
post #6 of 36
Something tells me that case was a post-nano scratching fiasco stop gap add-on...
iBook G4 1.33ghz, 768mb, 80gb HDD, 10.4.2
iBook G4 1.33ghz, 768mb, 80gb HDD, 10.4.2
post #7 of 36
yeah, i want the 60 GB iPod (after years of fence-sitting), but i would like ot know if i need to buy a usb 2.0 card for my dual g4 at home.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
yeah, i want the 60 GB iPod (after years of fence-sitting), but i would like ot know if i need to buy a usb 2.0 card for my dual g4 at home.

Consider this:
Even if the new video ipods did sync with FW, you'd have to buy the FW-to-dock cable separately for a ripoff price of $19.

A Belkin PCI card with 3 external USB 2.0 ports is only $30.

I'd just get the card if you have the free PCI slot.

- JonYo
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by jonyo
Consider this:
Even if the new video ipods did sync with FW, you'd have to buy the FW-to-dock cable separately for a ripoff price of $19.

- JonYo

hmmm... good point. i guess if, given the choice, i like to opt for not popping open my case... which explains the spaghetti nightmare of cables behind my cpu at home.

the sonnet tempo trio card, though, sure looks nice, since it packs so darned much on one card (usb 2.0, extra firewire 400 ports, and dual-channel ata-133... don't laugh, my machine at home is all ata-133, and it flies with as much ram i have packed inside).

post #10 of 36
Quote:

Kind of a bummer that the remote port is now gone, so my TenTechnology IR remote wouldn't work with these new models, nor would my Griffin Tech AirClick. 's ok, I'm not selling my 60GB ipod photo anytime soon...

- JonYo

Why did they get rid of that port? They just eliminated many accessories that used it. Griffin's NEW iTrip is useless now. And they've had to make it again! Now they have one that connects via the dock connector. But if you're in your car you can't plug in power through the dock connector AND play your iTrip anymore. Which is what many people do I'm sure. *sigh*

I prefer an auxiliary input line to the iPod anyway while in the car, but still...
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by StockholmSyndrome23
Something tells me that case was a post-nano scratching fiasco stop gap add-on...

My thoughts too, but you never know.

And yes, that FireWire cable in the image is way outta place.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Consider this:

- JonYo

Yeah, it is better to pay $30 than $19.

How much trouble would keeping FW compatibility really be?!!? C'mon Apple, what did Intel promise you? And besides, now that the iPod is video functional, it won't accept FW downloads from your Sony camcorder?!?!?! What's with that? A nice selling point to video professionals out the window.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #13 of 36
Well, if Apple did make it firewire compatible, it would be thicker and heavier. So, maybe it's for the best.\
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by dansgil
Well, if Apple did make it firewire compatible, it would be thicker and heavier. So, maybe it's for the best.\

A good reason to eventually make a ruggedized, Humvee-like, full metal jacketed pro version. Small market and all, but to have the ability to download and view video in the field while the camera is in use would be awesome.

I guess much of this could happen with current accessories and third-party access to the os..... ha, ha, yeah, right. It would be great for a bigger software ecosystem to evolve alongside the accessories ecosystem! A few "notes" based programs like Party Pod are the only thing out there now. Is there a way for the drm stuff to be behind a firewall so that the rest of the os could be modified more easily and not make broadcasters and Disney nervous?
post #15 of 36
Why is apple eliminating the very architecture they created? It's potential is faster than USB 2.0 right now, aka FW800. It's just dumb that they changed the port going from FW400 to 800. They should have re-architected a way to utilize the same physical connection.

So in essence, everything will connect to the computer via USB. Nothing else? I don't necessarily like putting all my eggs in one basket.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
WILLYWALLOO'S: MostlyMacly: Rumors. Read about the timeline beyond our time.
PENFIFTEENPRODUCTIONS: We like what we do.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by willywalloo
Why is apple eliminating the very architecture they created? It's potential is faster than USB 2.0 right now, aka FW800. It's just dumb that they changed the port going from FW400 to 800. They should have re-architected a way to utilize the same physical connection.

So in essence, everything will connect to the computer via USB. Nothing else? I don't necessarily like putting all my eggs in one basket.

In all honesty, FW isn't that much transfer for my music transfers. To transfer 3.7gb to my nano only took about a minute longer than my 4th gen iPod via FW. Most computers have USB 2.0.

As I said before, FW would make the iPod thicker. It would also have to cost more.
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by dansgil
In all honesty, FW isn't that much transfer for my music transfers. To transfer 3.7gb to my nano only took about a minute longer than my 4th gen iPod via FW. Most computers have USB 2.0.

As I said before, FW would make the iPod thicker. It would also have to cost more.

From your numbers, transferring 60GB would take an additional 15 minutes using USB rather than Firewire.

The claim that FW would make the device more expensive is possibly true, but my bet is that the difference would be negligible. There would be no cost difference to the buyer, but for all I know Apple probably would save fifty cents per iPod. I doubt the unit would be any thicker as circuit boards don't work that way unless the particular IC is thicker than the others.
post #18 of 36
You gotta ask how often are you tranfering a full 60 GB? Once only? Not worth it to save 15 one time and raise the price for everyone. Uniformity between mac and pcs is what apple wants. I say bravo. Good move.

If you are swapping files (multi-gig files) on and off the iPod you should buy an external FW drive. It's mean for music (and now videos). HD mode is fine.. but like I said.. how often do you swap a FULL iPod of data to even see that time difference?
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
You gotta ask how often are you tranfering a full 60 GB? Once only? Not worth it to save 15 one time and raise the price for everyone. Uniformity between mac and pcs is what apple wants. I say bravo. Good move.

Every time a firmware restore is done? If somthing goes wrong with the device, too often Apple employees recommend a full restore, which wipes the drive.

I don't see why saving pocket change in construction expense really makes a difference to the buyer, the price to the buyer would be the same given Apple's fixed price points. Even if it did make a difference, I would gladly pay the little extra.
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Consider this:

- JonYo

Not if you already have a FireWire wire from a previous iPod. BUT no iPods support FireWire as of yesterday anyway.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
That's a very weird collage!

What's the case lined with? The old Apple belt cases were just a bit abrasive (not what you want).

I like that it's not a black case. I never liked that look for the old case.

I am new to IPOD's--just ordered the new 30gb one--I am assuming these cases don't come with it, correct? Also, what is the fallout going to be since there doesn't seem to be a digital out in terms of having a car connection? Talk to me here people talk to me. [by the way pardon my ignorance]
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
Every time a firmware restore is done? If somthing goes wrong with the device, too often Apple employees recommend a full restore, which wipes the drive.

I don't see why saving pocket change in construction expense really makes a difference to the buyer, the price to the buyer would be the same given Apple's fixed price points. Even if it did make a difference, I would gladly pay the little extra.

3 iPods for more then 2 years. Never had to restore.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigMcShanensonson
I am new to IPOD's--just ordered the new 30gb one--I am assuming these cases don't come with it, correct? Also, what is the fallout going to be since there doesn't seem to be a digital out in terms of having a car connection? Talk to me here people talk to me. [by the way pardon my ignorance]

It comes with the case.

As far as the digital out goes, if I'm understanding you correctly, I believe there are some 3rd party dock connector accessories that you can get that would provide a line out. But for me, I turn my volume to 75% and use the headphone jack, it works well enough.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
It comes with the case.

As far as the digital out goes, if I'm understanding you correctly, I believe there are some 3rd party dock connector accessories that you can get that would provide a line out. But for me, I turn my volume to 75% and use the headphone jack, it works well enough.

Thanks for the answers. Hopefully that case will be able to clip to my shorts for running/going to the gym. As for the lineout, I was referring to a way to connect it to my car stereo using one of the third party fm modulators or something else. As it stands now, the only ones that are compatible according to Apple's website are those that have tape decks...
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself
3 iPods for more then 2 years. Never had to restore.

I've had one ipod for only one year. Mine sometimes won't wake up after a sleep. For a while, it wouldn't even reset. Apple replaced it, and the replacement does the exact same thing, and I've done a restore two or three times for each one hoping it was just a corrupt firmware or drive sector.

I listen to many hour-long podcasts and I think that's part of the problem. I pause it part way through, and it goes to sleep and sometimes it doesn't want to wake up. A partial solution for me was to downgrade to a pre-podcast firmware but I still have problems.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
the sonnet tempo trio card, though, sure looks nice, since it packs so darned much on one card (usb 2.0, extra firewire 400 ports, and dual-channel ata-133... don't laugh, my machine at home is all ata-133, and it flies with as much ram i have packed inside).

That looks like a nifty product, though a bit steep in price, IMO, though probably worth it in some packed computers.

I'm currently using a Adaptec DuoConnect, the 3020, FW + USB, and I've already filled up all but one connector.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigMcShanensonson
Thanks for the answers. Hopefully that case will be able to clip to my shorts for running/going to the gym. As for the lineout, I was referring to a way to connect it to my car stereo using one of the third party fm modulators or something else. As it stands now, the only ones that are compatible according to Apple's website are those that have tape decks...

I used to wear the case that clipped to my belt. Until, when I pulled down my pants to go to the bathroom and the clip came off and my iPod went down into the toilet. I've not done that anymore.

And as I mentioned earlier, Griffin has the iTrip FM modulator designed specifically for the video pods.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ip30/index.php

Of course that runs for 50 bucks on pre-order. And it eliminates the capability to plug in an auto power adapter
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I've had one ipod for only one year. Mine sometimes won't wake up after a sleep. For a while, it wouldn't even reset. Apple replaced it, and the replacement does the exact same thing, and I've done a restore two or three times for each one hoping it was just a corrupt firmware or drive sector.

I listen to many hour-long podcasts and I think that's part of the problem. I pause it part way through, and it goes to sleep and sometimes it doesn't want to wake up. A partial solution for me was to downgrade to a pre-podcast firmware but I still have problems.

Gremlins.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
And as I mentioned earlier, Griffin has the iTrip FM modulator designed specifically for the video pods.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...ip30/index.php

Of course that runs for 50 bucks on pre-order. And it eliminates the capability to plug in an auto power adapter

What's wrong with combining this:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=193794
With this:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=166893

???

You get to play your iPod through your car stereo (yukkie FM quality, but all transmitters are like that) and power your iPod at the same time? What's the difference?
Or is it that you gotta shell out for new stuff that has you upset??
I'm lucky, I currently have a mini and I use a dock connector that draws power from the lighter and also has a line out to my stereo. Nice crisp sound. Best way to go.

<edit>
Then there's always this option, which I'm sure Belkin and company will be releasing versions for the new iPods soon:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=186782
</edit>
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by tenchi71
What's wrong with combining this:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=193794
With this:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=166893

???

You get to play your iPod through your car stereo (yukkie FM quality, but all transmitters are like that) and power your iPod at the same time? What's the difference?
Or is it that you gotta shell out for new stuff that has you upset??
I'm lucky, I currently have a mini and I use a dock connector that draws power from the lighter and also has a line out to my stereo. Nice crisp sound. Best way to go.

<edit>
Then there's always this option, which I'm sure Belkin and company will be releasing versions for the new iPods soon:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=186782
</edit>

I personally don't care, because FM quality stinks. But for those that do and own the iTrip (the most popular FM transmitter on the market), they're now forced to abandon it with the new iPOds and buy 5th gen accessories. Griffin's Air Trip was something I was seriously thinking of getting. But not any more, because I know I'll eventually upgrade to the 5th gen and then it will be no good.
post #31 of 36
Quote:
I used to wear the case that clipped to my belt. Until, when I pulled down my pants to go to the bathroom and the clip came off and my iPod went down into the toilet. I've not done that anymore.

That's one of those things you're not supposed to tell people! Oh dear!
post #32 of 36
i can't see the image with the accessories.. can someone give me a link to it?
thanks
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally posted by spiers69
i can't see the image with the accessories.. can someone give me a link to it?
thanks

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1317
post #34 of 36
Why is no-one questioning what the hell that smaller iPod is? It's not a Nano, they are taller and thinner. This one just looks like a proportionally resized iPod. Why is there no mention of who provided this or where it is supposed to have come from? This is not an Apple image. Some schmuck just threw together a bunch of stuff, and wrong stuff at that.

-zip
post #35 of 36
ziploc you're right.
the smaller iPod is just that. An iPd image scaled down. No idea why they bothered doing that though.

It's the best image i've seen of the case though
post #36 of 36
what makes you think it should be the smaller ipod you should be lookign at!!! The smaller one looks about the right size compared to the usb cable and headphones. Is the announcement tommorrow another new ipod, which is bigger with firewire support and stuff for professionals!!

no i dont think so either

stu
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Image shows fifth-gen iPod case, accessories