or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › How do I find ALL apps on my computer???

How do I find ALL apps on my computer???

post #1 of 14
Just wondering how would you find any and all applications on your computer?
Do they all end in .app and .wdgt and would you just use the search tools such as spotlight?

Thanks to anyone who answers.
post #2 of 14
Doesn't System Profiler list every application installed?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 14
Assuming you got Tiger and Spotlight:

Open a Finder window...search for " " (just put a space in the search field)
Push + to add a search criteria.
Kind -> Application

Make sure you select 'Computer' to search the entire computer.

An inelegant solution but it works very well.
post #4 of 14
what are you doing putting applications outside of your applications folder? huh? what? huh?
post #5 of 14
If you have Classic installed on your machine, there are numerous other extensions that might also register as apps...
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by progmac
what are you doing putting applications outside of your applications folder? huh? what? huh?

I didn't. I asked this because all of a sudden, Safari keeps trying to go to some server and little snitch is stopping it. I don't know if I downloaded some spyware. That is why I was asking.

I wish I Apple would list what their default processes are so I can look them up and compare them to what I have running.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by sc_markt
I didn't. I asked this because all of a sudden, Safari keeps trying to go to some server and little snitch is stopping it. I don't know if I downloaded some spyware. That is why I was asking.

I wish I Apple would list what their default processes are so I can look them up and compare them to what I have running.

What are all those OS X processes?

--B

post #8 of 14
Type "kind:application" in Spotlight.

Oh, and very cool list, bergz. I think I'll read through that, it kind of disturbs me how many processes Mac OS X typically has running.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
it kind of disturbs me how many processes Mac OS X typically has running.

probably no more than your average human...

autonomic processes to control cardiovascular, lymphatic, neuromuscular, sensory, digestive, I/O, etc...

then there's processes for daydreaming, philosophizing, crafting snappy comebacks, menu planning, plotting world domination, etc...

although I suspect OS X doesn't think about sex as often... even though it's only an e away
post #10 of 14
Well, when you compare it to a Windows install that people have boiled down to nine processes, it looks kind of bloated, even if they don't take that much CPU/memory. I guess OS X has a bunch of small ones instead of a few large ones.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by bergz
What are all those OS X processes?

--B

Excellent list. I've downloaded it for reference.

Thanks!
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally posted by Placebo
it kind of disturbs me how many processes Mac OS X typically has running.

A lot of it has to do with Darwin's kernal design; I bet the kernal + all neccessary processes don't use any more memory than Linux or Windows, there's just more of them.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
post #13 of 14
It'd just be nice if the daemons/processes had descriptive names. Feels like we're using DOS or Windows (or UNIX ).
post #14 of 14
Open terminal -
$ find / -exec file {} \\; |grep executable

This will return any file that can can be run (an app).

Probably not useful for what you want but like XP you will be amazed at the mountain of executables on your machine.

Dobby.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › How do I find ALL apps on my computer???