or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple files for 'Vingle' trademark

Apple files for 'Vingle' trademark

post #1 of 44
Apple Computer has applied for a trademark on the term 'Vingle,' AppleInsider has discovered.

The iPod maker filed for the trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office earlier this month under three distinct categories.

The first filing describes Vingle as: "Telecommunication services, namely, electronic transmission of streamed and downloadable audio and video files via computer and other communications networks; providing on-line chat rooms, bulletin boards and community forums for the transmission of messages among computer users concerning entertainment, music, concerts, videos, radio, television, film, news, sports, games and cultural events; web casting services; delivery of messages by electronic transmission; provision of connectivity services and access to electronic communications networks, for transmission or reception of audio, video or multimedia content;"

A second filing describes Vingle as an audio entertainment service that may be available in its retail stores: "Retail store services in the field of entertainment, namely, musical, audio and audiovisual works and related merchandise, provided via the internet and other computer and electronic communication networks; data storage and retrieval services; computerized data storage services; electronic storage and retrieval of documents, data, images, audio, video and audiovisual works; information, advisory and consultancy services relating to all the aforesaid"

A final filing is more vague, describing Vingle as "Computers; computer hardware; computer peripherals; hand held computers; computer terminals; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; apparatus for recording, transmission and reproduction of sounds, images, or other data; portable and handheld digital electronic devices for recording, organizing, transmitting, manipulating, and reviewing audio, video and still images files; magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, disk drives; cameras; computer software; computer software for use in authoring, downloading, transmitting, receiving, editing, extracting, encoding, decoding, playing, storing and organizing audio, video and still images; computer software for DVD authoring; prerecorded computer programs for personal information management; database management software; computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; blank computer and consumer electronic storage media; computer and electronic games; user manuals sold as a unit with the aforementioned goods"

All three filings were made on October 7th.

We welcome your speculation in the AppleInsider Forums.
post #2 of 44
How very interesting. The first two filings seem like an expansion and combination of iTMS and .Mac.

The third sounds like a new naming scheme for their "iApps." Maybe we'll see nomenclature shifts starting soon?
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #3 of 44
Vingle will compete with Skype.
post #4 of 44

Weird stuff.
post #5 of 44
Vingle = Video Single?
post #6 of 44
The word "Vingle" seems kind of silly...
post #7 of 44
Wow!

Really puts "Mighty Mouse" in perspective.

Mighty Mouse doesn't sound silly at all anymore
post #8 of 44
REALLY weird.

...magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, wearable devices for time travel, disk drives; cameras...

post #9 of 44
a new ichat type deal?

Vingle --> Mingle

Video Mingle \
post #10 of 44
"I didn't wanna bungle or boggle the vingle dopple."
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
a new ichat type deal?

Vingle --> Mingle

Video Mingle \

This would be my guess. Some sort of video chat rooms maybe.
post #12 of 44
This one is unlikely but I thought I'd get it out. Could it be like a jingle for you phone but instead being video based calling it a vingle? I'll go ahead and say no to myself.

I like the idea of video mingle though.
post #13 of 44
It will be a device to capture our experiences from time travel.

Or v-mingling.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by G-Dog
This one is unlikely but I thought I'd get it out. Could it be like a jingle for you phone but instead being video based calling it a vingle?

Unlikely? Jeez, I dunno. Kinda makes sense imho.
post #15 of 44
i am guessing that, since apple is FINALLY bundling the isight with computers, it will FINALLY get some freakin' widespread acceptance, so the thought of webcam "rooms" is not out of the question, ESPECIALLY with high school and college students.

though this trademarking may mean absolutely nothing in the long run. remember "gigawire"? that went absolutely nowhere (or it's the slowest developing product/service known to mankind)
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by gyre
The word "Vingle" seems kind of silly...

So did 'Nano'. One million silly Nanos later....

Vingle.

V-i-i-ingle. \

"Look; I haff mein Vingle."\ \

"Come, Liebchen, let us Vingle."\ \

"Let's Vingle at 8:00 PM."\ \

"I Vingle. You Vingle?"

"It don't know where I'd be without my Vingle!"

Even though I am no longer single, as long as there's a stylus and inkwell, I shall tingle to listen to a Jingle while I Vingle.

Yep; gonna keep my dayjob.

iV****

"See you soon."

V/R,

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
REALLY weird.

...magnetic data carriers; mobile digital electronic devices; telephones; computer gaming machines; monitors, displays, keyboards, cables, modems, printers, videophones, wearable devices for time travel, disk drives; cameras...

Pssst, you channeled into the 2022 Patent for Vingle 12.0.

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #18 of 44
Wellll, I don't know.

We haven't even stopped laughing and snickering over Intel's ViiV yet, and now Apple comes out with this?

I'm not sure which is worse!

Oh, wait, I am. It's this.

I actually can see the Mighty Mouse name. It's somewhat obvious. Especially when mentioned in conjunction with Apple.

But this has no meaning by itself.

So what is it? A verb? A noun? A proper name?

So do we Vingle? Or is it one is going TO Vingle? Or is my equipment A Vingle? (I know my equipment is a mess, but that's something else).
post #19 of 44
I vingled my pants when I read this story. It's definitely weird, even for Apple.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
post #20 of 44
Video single. When they mingle you got vingle.

I hope that as the intent with the trademark and the fact that we didn´t hear it yesterday means Apple decided not to use it.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #21 of 44
I sort of had the impression it could be some sort of a myspace kind of knockoff. Then you could somehow keep in contact and up-to-date with people and things through the Vingle site/service with your Apple iPhone

Video Single also came to mind as well.
post #22 of 44
Virtual Tingle = the sensation of tactile feedback that you get when you using the iMac remote to watch naughty home iMovies.

Very Single = people who spend Thursday nights looking at trademaark applications for anything Apple.

Vocal Jingle = another song that Jobs shows at a keynote and the next day Eminem issues a desist order
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #23 of 44
The beginning of the VideoSingle revolution.

But where is iTune music store for Australia. We are still waiting to be able to buy songs let along VideoSingles.............

C'mon Apple, get iTMS for Australia next.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Aries 1B
So did 'Nano'. One million silly Nanos later....

Vingle.

V-i-i-ingle. \

"Look; I haff mein Vingle."\ \

"Come, Liebchen, let us Vingle."\ \

"Let's Vingle at 8:00 PM."\ \

"I Vingle. You Vingle?"

"It don't know where I'd be without my Vingle!"

Even though I am no longer single, as long as there's a stylus and inkwell, I shall tingle to listen to a Jingle while I Vingle.

Yep; gonna keep my dayjob.

iV****

"See you soon."

V/R,

Aries 1B

actually READING THAT has made it sit a lot better in my head, as in, it only seems wierd cos its NEW.

Pringles sell well in the UK for instance

Rod more and more im wanting an iMac!
post #25 of 44

Hey, Apple has hired a new gangsta rapper to promote Vingle, you know him as Shiddy!

And the first verse is,

Jolly ol Kris Kringle
Really wanna yo to mingle
Specially if yo single
Ita really make yo tingle
But by golly, it really givya the shingles

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #26 of 44
Names that seemed stupid at the time:

Google
iPod
TiVo
iPod "shuffle"
iPod "nano"
post #27 of 44
I don't know about you peeps.. but I didn't thouth that iPod "nano' was a stupid name.
I thought it had style
post #28 of 44
(maybe) there were some who didn't know what the word "nano" meant

I thought it was an awesome name! Especcially the nano tubes!!!
post #29 of 44
FYI, vingle.com is currently under construction. It doesn't even point back to Apple's website.

It was purchased under proxy at GoDaddy.com.

Plot thickens...
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by dimplemonkey
FYI, vingle.com is currently under construction. It doesn't even point back to Apple's website.

It was purchased under proxy at GoDaddy.com.

Plot thickens...

The domain was probably just bought up by some guy who read this article and jumped on the name. All the other domains Apple owns are registered by markmonitor.com.
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by geekdreams
The domain was probably just bought up by some guy who read this article and jumped on the name. All the other domains Apple owns are registered by markmonitor.com.

Ah, but it seems to have been bought in 2003...it's probably not related.
post #32 of 44
Weird to read - the lawyers threw everything but the kitchen sink.

I think it boils down to one of two things:

A new product and/or service that will cause a lot of people to say "s***, why didn't I think of that" and generate a nice income stream for Apple while the competition tries in vain to catch up.

or

A vapor program designed to encourage competitors to take their best hardware and software people off of products that might actually make money and put then on to a project to compete with Vingle.

The real question: how long before MS applies for a trademark on Vangle?
Ken
Ken
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Virtual Tingle

I think Vingle is a weird name, but in the contect of Video Single it makes sense. For TV though, I don't really like mobisode either. And what about video podcasts? Vodcasts sounds lame.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool

I think Vingle is a weird name, but in the contect of Video Single it makes sense. For TV though, I don't really like mobisode either. And what about video podcasts? Vodcasts sounds lame.

Well, Vidcasts would be better.

Vingle doesn't really indicate Video Single. Without the "S" it loses that recognition factor. There isn't a good pattern to pick out. It would have to be learned instead.

Most good acronyms have an immediate recognition factor. The words combined are still seen as separate even though they aren't. Podcasts would be a good example. SuperMarket would be another. Vingle seems like one new word. The "i" being in the middle of both words blends rather than holds them apart. It's impossible to know what it means without being told. No one here has yet to be certain. It's very un-Applelike.

Besides, it just sounds silly.
post #35 of 44
OK, 'vingle' sounds silly, but the best brand names are those that can be used as a verb. Seriously. I found that out while Googling for something else.

I see Apple moving toward integrated cameras across the entire product line (well, maybe not the Nano/Mini group). At first, this will be marketed as a convenient extra, in the same manner as Steve's placement of video on the iPod - 'let's see what people do with this (while we sneak the enabling technology into the hands of a majority of our customers)'.

I'm betting we'll see built-in iSights on at least one model of the next Power Mac release. Then the 'vidcam latch' described recently at Macsimum News makes its appearance on the 1st or 2nd generation Mactel Powerbooks. After Steve can be certain that there are a couple million video-equipped Macs out in the world (and more importantly, that The Rest Of Us think they're cool enough to want one), Apple will ship the Vingle so we can all glaaavin.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by macartisan
OK, 'vingle' sounds silly, but the best brand names are those that can be used as a verb. Seriously. I found that out while Googling for something else.

I see Apple moving toward integrated cameras across the entire product line (well, maybe not the Nano/Mini group). At first, this will be marketed as a convenient extra, in the same manner as Steve's placement of video on the iPod - 'let's see what people do with this (while we sneak the enabling technology into the hands of a majority of our customers)'.

I'm betting we'll see built-in iSights on at least one model of the next Power Mac release. Then the 'vidcam latch' described recently at Macsimum News makes its appearance on the 1st or 2nd generation Mactel Powerbooks. After Steve can be certain that there are a couple million video-equipped Macs out in the world (and more importantly, that The Rest Of Us think they're cool enough to want one), Apple will ship the Vingle so we can all glaaavin.

A marketing term shouldn't rhyme with a hundred other words either, it then becomes subject to derision and can lower the value of the Mark.

I think that we might see cameras on the line of monitors, but not on the computers themselves. What would be the point? You don't have your computer in front of you. You might even have a tower on the floor as I do with all of mine. But the monitor is up front and center.

Also, Apple has this interesting scheme where the monitor flashes white to illuminate a still shot from the camera. If it works well, it's a brilliant idea. I'm not sure if I intended to pun there.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
A marketing term shouldn't rhyme with a hundred other words either, it then becomes subject to derision and can lower the value of the Mark.

I think that we might see cameras on the line of monitors, but not on the computers themselves. What would be the point? You don't have your computer in front of you. You might even have a tower on the floor as I do with all of mine. But the monitor is up front and center.

Also, Apple has this interesting scheme where the monitor flashes white to illuminate a still shot from the camera. If it works well, it's a brilliant idea. I'm not sure if I intended to pun there.

Vingle is just INELEGANT. It smells like a bogus story. C'mon, do you seriously think that Jobs approved a tongue-twister name like Vingle? It's as bad as vlogger. Yechhh!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Vingle is just INELEGANT. It smells like a bogus story. C'mon, do you seriously think that Jobs approved a tongue-twister name like Vingle? It's as bad as vlogger. Yechhh!

Apparently so.
post #39 of 44
It sounds so... like cursing
I can almost hear the convo
it would be something like this:

Me: Hi, look at this, it's Vingle *points at that new stuff*

Friend: what?!.. how did you call me?!

Me: no.. it's Vingle

Friend: What the fuck is wrong with you!?... do you think it's funny to call someone a vingle

Me: noooo!!.. I.. just...I...It's the new thing fro-

Friend: Yeah right! *punches b3nj in the face*

hmm.. I wouldn't like that.. *already feels the pain in the jaw*
like I was saying... I don't like it at all.. and like SpamSandwich said.
it's inelegant.
post #40 of 44
AP - New York.
Soon after Apple's filing of the trademark Vingle, Microsoft filed a trademark for Microsoft Dingle. "Our Dingle is better than Apple's Vingle!" Cries Ballmer in a press conference. "It's longer, fatter, and uses a bigger pipe! Dingle, Dingle, Dingle! Our developers really worked hard on Bill Gates' little Dingle and since it is now too big to put inside Windows we'll stick it in Vista!"

Apple declined to comment on Microsoft's filing, stating only that their Widget is better than Microsoft's Gadget and is available today as a feature of OS X Tiger.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple files for 'Vingle' trademark