or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple schedules special event for Oct. 19

Apple schedules special event for Oct. 19 - Page 3

post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
Mmmm... Excessive horsepower...

Excessive horsepower ... no such thing! I'll take my Bugatti Veyron in blue. And my PM in dual-dual.

I'll take a rev'd up PM over waiting for rev A Macintel. A dual-dual (if not too much $$$) should be a great box. And that should happen sometime in the next 2 months. (I don't buy rumors anymore ... yeah, right)
post #82 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
I am afraid so. Good catch though on the display specs. I had not noticed that the new iMac has so much an improved display. In paper at least.

the new imacs should look great. apple's just leveraging the lcd panel manufacturers that are at each other's throats with bigger, better, faster, brighter, etc.
post #83 of 113
What's different about the new imacs display? The last one's weren't very good compared side by side to Apple's pro display or a modern Dell LCD, they just looked dark.

Hopefully the LCD in the iMacs is fanatiastic?
post #84 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Anders
OC=overclocked

i was referring to the 1MB ram
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #85 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
What's different about the new imacs display? The last one's weren't very good compared side by side to Apple's pro display or a modern Dell LCD, they just looked dark.

Hopefully the LCD in the iMacs is fanatiastic?

iMac 20": 800:1 contrast, 280 cd/m brightness.

Cinema display 20": 400:1 contrast, 250 cd/m2 brightness.
post #86 of 113
When properly calibrating a Cinema Display, the overall brightness has to be brought down dramatically.

So why is an increased brightness value on new displays such a big deal?

My 23" Cinema Display and full brightness is WAY too bright as it is.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #87 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Powelligator
Folks, come on, think out of the box here. Considering Apple's recent track record, there can be only one thing. The big announcement will be...

iTunes 7.

-Gator

iTunes 7 & 8 will be released simultaneously, making it an historic event-- the first time a new release is rendered instantaneously obsolete...
post #88 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
When properly calibrating a Cinema Display, the overall brightness has to be brought down dramatically.

Because most iMac users probably will have no interest in having their display properly calibrated. There are a LOT of people out there that automatically turn the brightness on their display all the way up, no matter what it looks like.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #89 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
There are a LOT of people out there that automatically turn the brightness on their display all the way up, no matter what it looks like.

Ugh! Do they use sunglasses?
post #90 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
Ugh! Do they use sunglasses?

post #91 of 113
It'll be the first Intel-based PowerBook...!

Even though Steve Jobs said that they wouldn't ship Intel-Macs till WWDC06, I think it'll be earlier because
-he said (about three weeks before its introduction) there would never be an iPod video, and then they introduced it last week.
and
-an Intel-based Mac (one of the many times he said that was a couple of weeks before WWDC05) and then they announced the transition.
So it could well be an Intel-PowerBook (which, many sources rumored, would be the first machine to be "intelled").

Apple probably has the operating system pretty much ready for Intel (hinted by that 10.4.3 for Intel was seeded before 10.4.3 for PPC was made available for download). Most big companies (Adobe, Microsoft, ...) probably also have their software ready.
post #92 of 113
Adobe and Microsoft didn't even have their apps in Xcode, how can they be ready already?

I'll tell ya though, at the last special event, I never saw Steve so giddy - something is up.
post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by mkuron
It'll be the first Intel-based PowerBook...!
<snip>
Most big companies (Adobe, Microsoft, ...) probably also have their software ready.

Dream on. Adobe probably won't be ready with theirs until 2007. I think it's far more likely we'll see a G5 PowerBook on Wednesday than an Intel PowerBook. We'll probably see neither though.
post #94 of 113
Quote:
I'll tell ya though, at the last special event, I never saw Steve so giddy - something is up.

Probably like always> something no one would have thought of.
post #95 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Powelligator
Folks, come on, think out of the box here. Considering Apple's recent track record, there can be only one thing. The big announcement will be...
iTunes 7.
-Gator

If anything at all concerning the iApps, than i'd count on
some unification: say iPhoto 6, iMovie 6 etc.

my 2 cents
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
" I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source . . . "
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #96 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
Dream on. Adobe probably won't be ready with theirs until 2007. I think it's far more likely we'll see a G5 PowerBook on Wednesday than an Intel PowerBook. We'll probably see neither though.

I think the PowerBook G5 is not so far fetched as it seems to be
at first glance. MR Jobs has one great ability, the ability
to surprise. He already gave us some minor hints. Hasn't he
talked about some great PPC products to be covered in the not
so far future? Well.
ALBERT EINSTEIN
ALBERT EINSTEIN
post #97 of 113
low-voltage powerpc-g5 powerbook liquid cooled carbon-fibre?
post #98 of 113
I would be very surprised to see G5 PB...

I would fully expect to see Dual dual-core 970MPs & PCI-Express...

SLI would be nice...

MOSR seems to be placing foot firmly in mouth with a prediction of not only Dul dual-core 970MPs, but another unit with Quad 970FXs...!

Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #99 of 113
post #100 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by 9secondko
Since this meeting will cover "Pro Innovations", I would not count on iApps.

I would be thinking Pro software along the lines of webobjects, Final Cut Studio, and of course the Pro hardware to run them (ie: quad-core Powermac, 970GX Powerbook). I suspect that the PB and the Cinema Displays will now have integrated iSight built in as well.

Then again, this is Apple, and we may see something totally new, like the iPhone (although that seems like old hat right now). We need killer Macs and we need them BEFORE the Intel updates.
post #101 of 113
oops. editing error.
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate

My 23" Cinema Display and full brightness is WAY too bright as it is.

Because people don't want to be bounded. If you have your computer in a room that occassionally gets direct sunlight, you want to be able to crank it up.

Further, brightness degrades with time. My 12" PB was so bright when I got it that I never ran it higher than 50%. Now, a year later, full brightness is about right. I'm sure in a year I'll bemoan how dim the display seems.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.
post #103 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by johnsonwax
Because people don't want to be bounded. If you have your computer in a room that occassionally gets direct sunlight, you want to be able to crank it up.

Further, brightness degrades with time. My 12" PB was so bright when I got it that I never ran it higher than 50%. Now, a year later, full brightness is about right. I'm sure in a year I'll bemoan how dim the display seems.

Yeah, what you said and the fact that lots of people have iMacs in bedrooms, living rooms and kitchens (not calibrated office spaces) that can have lots of glare. As cool as the new iMacs are, we're still talking consumers.

I can not see how you could ever put an iSight camera on a PowerBook bezel and not give Ive's a rash, but if he could design a great integration, he would add to his legend.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #104 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Yeah, what you said and the fact that lots of people have iMacs in bedrooms, living rooms and kitchens (not calibrated office spaces) that can have lots of glare. As cool as the new iMacs are, we're still talking consumers.

I can not see how you could ever put an iSight camera on a PowerBook bezel and not give Ive's a rash, but if he could design a great integration, he would add to his legend.

With this:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6605

I think this will be a major update not a speed bump. Steve needs to get those of us sitting on the fence to keep buying. They can't afford to stall Mac sales for a year. Even if they don't manage a G5 PB, they will add toys and features.

Corey
post #105 of 113
Toys unfortunately are a stopgap and don't really address the professional buyer market, not satisfactorily, and not competitively.
post #106 of 113
Quote:

Didn't Sony put it in the hinge? Or is that a phone design I'm thinking of?
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
a flirt with mediocrity comes with heavy penalty
post #107 of 113
Quote:
[B]I think along with hardware upgrades, the only thing Apple will announce in regard to Adobe, would be a partnership of something that Adobe can show off at their booth the next day. Does Apple have a booth at PhotoWhatever?

Nope.
The press gathering may be totally unrelated to that trade show.
post #108 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by stupider...likeafox
Didn't Sony put it in the hinge? Or is that a phone design I'm thinking of?

I believe that Apple filed for a design that had a cam on the latch.

Although your question re Sony makes me wonder. After bringing the Sony CEO on stage they never did release anything together did they?

It would be interesting if Sony is making Blue-Ray's on the sly and Apple agreed to sell them.

Corey

post #109 of 113
Check out the "R" section of the exibitor list.

See "Reserved". Booth 338.

Check out the floor map.

Big size booth.

But anyways........
post #110 of 113
The company Reserve, with adress 1 INFINITE LOOP,CUPERTINO, CA 95014. What can it be?

Nice catch
post #111 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by msantti
Check out the "R" section of the exibitor list.

See "Reserved". Booth 338.

Check out the floor map.

Big size booth.

But anyways........

Well now, that's interesting.

I don't know if you people know this but professional photography has totally changed in the past couple of years. You are more likely to see a G5 and a Cinema Display in a pro studio than any trace of film. I wonder if Apple are moving to 'formalize' the workflow around Macs and maybe a couple of strategic pieces of software? iPhoto Pro - for the remote control of cameras via FW/USB and the ingest and realtime (CoreGraphics) tweaking of RAW photo data?
A calibration do-dad for Cinema Displays?

Good stuff.
post #112 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by vinney57
Well now, that's interesting.

I don't know if you people know this but professional photography has totally changed in the past couple of years. You are more likely to see a G5 and a Cinema Display in a pro studio than any trace of film. I wonder if Apple are moving to 'formalize' the workflow around Macs and maybe a couple of strategic pieces of software? iPhoto Pro - for the remote control of cameras via FW/USB and the ingest and realtime (CoreGraphics) tweaking of RAW photo data?
A calibration do-dad for Cinema Displays?

Good stuff.

You are so right. We are getting out 4 yr daughter into modeling and at two separate photographer studios I've seen two separate mac set ups. Plug and play with iPhoto, etc. Photographers are going digital and going to or sticking with Apple.
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #113 of 113
Quote:
Originally posted by KidRed
You are so right. We are getting out 4 yr daughter into modeling and at two separate photographer studios I've seen two separate mac set ups. Plug and play with iPhoto, etc. Photographers are going digital and going to or sticking with Apple.

I have to admit the depressing fact that my 9 year old niece is earning more than me at the moment from her modeling, God bless her. I am now in the position of acting as her 'advisor' on guitars as she is determined to get one for Christmas. Hey, got to follow the money right?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple schedules special event for Oct. 19