or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple quietly plans massive presence at PhotoPlus Expo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple quietly plans massive presence at PhotoPlus Expo

post #1 of 86
Thread Starter 
Although it has yet to announce such plans, Apple Computer is expected to have the largest presence of any exhibitor at this week's PhotoPlus Expo in Manhattan, AppleInsider has learned.

The three day conference targets the photographic and imaging industries and is scheduled to run from Oct 20th through Oct 22nd at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.

In a very exclusive digital invite to members of the media last week, Apple announced that it would hold a special event inside the same venue on the eve of the expo to introduce its "latest pro innovations."

The invitations were black and contained an image of a large camera lens.

Sources familiar with Apple's product plans say the Mac maker is set to introduce new PowerBooks, Power Macs and make a significant photography-related product announcement at the event

Additionally, AppleInsider has now been told that Apple plans to hang around the PhotoPlus Expo for the three days that will follow (as an exhibitor). In fact, documents show the company to have registered booth number 338 -- the largest exhibition space on the show floor.

Organizers for PhotoPlus Expo failed to return phone calls regarding Apple's exhibition plans.

It appears that Apple has gone through extensive measures to keep its planned presence at the expo a secret until now, further fueling speculation as to what new products it plans to introduce and show.

Other exhibitors scheduled to have a large presence at PhotoPlus include Adobe, Hewlett-Packard, Canon, Epson, Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, and Kodak.
post #2 of 86
Holy crap.

This is going to be so huge.

I'm not ready.
post #3 of 86
I'm giddy as a school girl! (wait...)
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #4 of 86
the suspense is killing me
post #5 of 86
largest booth in the show. they must expect to have some serious crowds playing with the new hardware. the attendees might even notice the new software, too.
apple gets "it."
Reply
apple gets "it."
Reply
post #6 of 86
ps: occurs to me such events may take the place of the former macword NY events. ie: USA-based hardware introductions offset from MWSF.
apple gets "it."
Reply
apple gets "it."
Reply
post #7 of 86
Oh lord, can we stop posting the same news item over and over again? We all know the event is tomorrow. No news = no new post. Just wait it out!
post #8 of 86
i can't decide if the major new product that is related to photography is an application or hardware. you know an apple branded digital camera would be awesome...
post #9 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by Bmaier
Oh lord, can we stop posting the same news item over and over again? We all know the event is tomorrow. No news = no new post. Just wait it out!

No!

Apple will show Photo Booth Pro tomorrow!!!
post #10 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
No!

Apple will show Photo Booth Pro tomorrow!!!

Not Photo Booth Pro, Photolab.
Alexis 'jeriqo' BRET
Reply
Alexis 'jeriqo' BRET
Reply
post #11 of 86
The Apple Store has the 15" & 17" PBs shipping in 3-5 days. The 12" is within 24 hours. The PM is 3-5 days.

With a large mystery booth anything can happen. I don't think Steve J would go to this effort if it was a small incremental increase.

I'm going to try to sleep late tomorrow so I'm not at the office waiting for this to start. Get there about 10:30, get the coffee and the computer set up and I'll be ready.
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #12 of 86
Just from Macosxrumors.com:

for the third time in ten weeks, Apple has scheduled a press event so as to announce new products, keeping a constant buzz on the companys product releases.

As we said in an earlier posting that predicted Apple was about to announce another wave of products, the most likely Mac families to be updated this week are PowerMacs and Powerbooks.

More recent reports tend to confirm that these two line-ups will be updated and suggest that the release of the new PowerMacs could be followed by an update on the Cinema Displays line-up. There is maybe something coming on the software side as well - and this time it has to do with photography.

We have had very little information about the forthcoming hardwares technical specifications. However, some of these characteristics are getting rather easy to guess.

PowerMacs:

Apple released a new iMac last week that includes new DDR400 memory and PCI-Express graphics. We can deduce that these characteristics will also be added to the new PowerMacs along with dual core PowerPC 970MP chips, at least for some of the models.

Earlier this year, evidence of the existence of dual-core support on some Apples developer utilities had been revealed by readers, while IBM also reckoned that the PowerPC 970MP chip exists.

We can expect dual-core and PCI-Express to arrive on the high-end PowerMacs at least and maybe also on the mid-range PowerMac.

Powerbooks:

As for the Powerbooks, the use of the MPC7448 PowerPC G4 processor from Freescale is also an obvious choice for Apple, considering that the MPC7447A that is used in the current product line has already hit or surpassed its clock speed limits. Additionally, it appears that this chip is now available in quantity. There is clearly no reason for Apple to not use this chip while there are a few reasons for the company to not use a G5 chip.

If we take a look on our earlier reports that deal with the Powerbooks, we have three reports we may consider.
- A reader had hinted in February that there was a mistake on the last generation Powerbooks manual, suggesting that Apple was working on Powerbooks with higher screen resolution.
- Sources have already mentioned late last year the possible use of the MPC7448 processor on future Powerbook lines late last year.
- Last year, we had reported that Apple may drop the 12? model for a new form factor in the future.

So we may expect a slightly faster Powerbook line up with higher resolution screens (up to 1440x970 for the 17?). The 12? Powerbook should disappear and maybe be replaced by another form factor that does not compete with the iBook.

Cinema Displays?

Back in late September, we had reported that new Cinema Displays were coming within the next two months. We may also infer some of the specifications of the new monitors by looking at the improvements of the new iMacs display.

If you compare the specs of the 20? inch iMacs screen and the Cinema Display 20?, youll notice that the iMacs screen contrast ratio is 800:1 and brightness is 280cd /m2 while the Cinema Display 20? has a 400:1 contrast ratio and 250cd /m2 brighness. Response time is not given for the iMacs screen while its 16ms (typical) for all the Cinema Displays.

So if theyre updated, the new displays will get at least improvements in terms of contrast ratio and maybe in response time. We wouldnt exclude the inclusion of an iSight although we had no reports about it. However, were quite certain that prices will drop significantly, especially on the entry and mid-range models.

Photo retouching software?

During the last weekend, we received an unconfirmed report claiming that Apple was on the verge of releasing a professional photo retouching application. Although it will have similar photo retouching features, the application is not believed to be a real competitor to Adobe Photoshop in terms of market targeting.

What we dont expect?

This event is clearly related to professional announcements, according to the invitation sent to the press, so we dont expect any iPod or entry-level Mac related announcements.

Although updated Mac minis have already started shipping to customers since late last month, we dont believe it will be part of the announcements. If the Mac mini is updated, we expect it to be done quietly, along with the re-opening of the online Apple Store at the special events end.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #13 of 86
Rumor sites used to be able to get a hold of accurate computer spec info about 1 or 2 days before an event. But it seems lately that AI, ThinkSecret and MacRumors are just playing guessing games. ThinkSecret in particular doesn't seem to know shit about anything going on at Apple nowadays and contradicts itself 4 times before coming to a conclusion only hours before the event.

Right now, all the rumor sites have zero new information. They're just piecing together bits and pieces of old rumors that haven't come to fruition and hoping they'll hit the jackpot. All this info is already public and everyone has speculated on it weeks before the rumor sites actually post anything about it.

I'm surprised every rumor site is still guessing what will come out tomorrow. None of them have said, in all certainty, that, say, SoftwareX will come out or that HardwareY with SpecZ will come out.
post #14 of 86
Just an observation, within the past 12-18 months the upgrade manufacturers have been putting out boards with the latest from Moto/Freescale faster than Apple has. With Apple's transition to Intel I don't think that Freescale would hold back the chips for Apple, and since none of the upgrade manufacturers have anounced or even hinted at a 7448 board I don't think that the chips are ready yet. I think PB upgrades will at best hit the 2Ghz level with 7447 chips in them, and a quick transition to Intel at the end of the first quarter of next year.
post #15 of 86
i think its good this way. we get to hear what "might" come out. Whats the fun if we already know? this is great.. i love the suspense. I hope there will be a keynote on this as well.. woohoo!!
Got my first mac ever: 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook after 13 years of PC junk and hell.
Second mac: 30" ACD, Quad G5.
Reply
Got my first mac ever: 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook after 13 years of PC junk and hell.
Second mac: 30" ACD, Quad G5.
Reply
post #16 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by forda
i can't decide if the major new product that is related to photography is an application or hardware. you know an apple branded digital camera would be awesome...

Since this is a pro photo show it would have to be either a dSLR, or a digital Rangefinder. Either option implies interchangable lenses. How does Apple choose which lens interface to use? What possible innovation could Apple bring to the table for the professional that hasn't been addressed by Nikon and Canon(whose high end cameras are both highly regarded among professionals)?

No, the big "black hole" of functionality for professionals is speed of workflow and dealing with tens of thousands of images if not more. I expect Apple to heavily leverage Spotlight, whatever comes.

(Note I didn't mention Rangefinders. While they are wonderful cameras and underserved by the market, there is good reason for it. They are largely niche market cameras and not a viable market for Apple, I think, even with the smaller number/higher margin nature of pro gear.)
post #17 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Rumor sites used to be able to get a hold of accurate computer spec info about 1 or 2 days before an event. But it seems lately that AI, ThinkSecret and MacRumors are just playing guessing games. ThinkSecret in particular doesn't seem to know shit about anything going on at Apple nowadays and contradicts itself 4 times before coming to a conclusion only hours before the event.

Right now, all the rumor sites have zero new information. They're just piecing together bits and pieces of old rumors that haven't come to fruition and hoping they'll hit the jackpot. All this info is already public and everyone has speculated on it weeks before the rumor sites actually post anything about it.

I'm surprised every rumor site is still guessing what will come out tomorrow. None of them have said, in all certainty, that, say, SoftwareX will come out or that HardwareY with SpecZ will come out.

This all makes it far more exciting honestly. It almost makes up for the lack of a live keynote feed... like we had in years past.
post #18 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan22t
This all makes it far more exciting honestly. It almost makes up for the lack of a live keynote feed... like we had in years past.

Agreed. Lets review:

1) Nano intro, wow!

2) New iMac intro, Totally unexpected and sweet! + bonus video iPod

3) Minor PB & PM speed bump??

Doesn't sound like Steve to me. Gotta be something impressive. Either new PB/PM's or something entirely new.

Corey

8)
post #19 of 86
man, apple is so P*WNING right now! they have totally deprecated macworld NY and paris expo, clamped down on leaks, and become extremely strategic with their event based marketing.

as i used to work a little in event marketing, i can tell you that the crew that are responsible for PhotoPlus Expo are ecstatic about Apple taking up the largest booth though they are probably a bit nervous (and confused) about the huge secrecy. i have never ever heard of a major tech event in which some company booked the largest floor space and kept it so under wraps.

man, so this is how apple rolls
post #20 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey

Doesn't sound like Steve to me. Gotta be something impressive. Either new PB/PM's or something entirely new.

Exactly. IBM could easily be done with an awesome sequel to the G5. Apple could easily have a digital camera and some awesome new photo software. Even the best G4 possible is still pretty yawnish... but Apple managed a very nice iMac upgrade with only a 100mhz bump... proving there are other many other ways to increase value and coolness beyond just processors.

but then again, everyone with low expectations will just be more excited tomorrow, so why not just go ahead and let them be low
post #21 of 86
there will be NO apple pro photo HARDWARE. NO cameras, unless you mean isight stuff.

People I don't mean to be a jerk, but Have any of you ever been to photopro? It's professionals, not kids, not ipod lovers, no imacs, but people who spend millions of dollars a year on high end 50k+ photo equipment.

Apple will release DAM software (digital asset management) and will not compete with Photoshop. You will see updated powerbooks, updated powermacs, YOU WILL NOT SEE an apple camera, rangefinder, strobe light, blacklight, or any sort of equipment you've ever dreamed of running at your beer party.

I'll be at photopro expo :-)


Quote:
Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet
Since this is a pro photo show it would have to be either a dSLR, or a digital Rangefinder. Either option implies interchangable lenses. How does Apple choose which lens interface to use? What possible innovation could Apple bring to the table for the professional that hasn't been addressed by Nikon and Canon(whose high end cameras are both highly regarded among professionals)?

No, the big "black hole" of functionality for professionals is speed of workflow and dealing with tens of thousands of images if not more. I expect Apple to heavily leverage Spotlight, whatever comes.

(Note I didn't mention Rangefinders. While they are wonderful cameras and underserved by the market, there is good reason for it. They are largely niche market cameras and not a viable market for Apple, I think, even with the smaller number/higher margin nature of pro gear.)
post #22 of 86
I hope it's big. But if it's too big, what we they have left for MWSF?
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
post #23 of 86
I think there will be a photo-related announcement (or why keep the booth secret?) but it may not be one that's exciting outside that field.

There should be at least ONE exciting announcement--probably the PowerMacs.

Alongside that could be some lesser announcements, and I fear PowerBooks may fit that description. The BIG PowerBook news is Intel, and it's too soon for that.

I do NOT however think the 12" PowerBook is going away without something to replace it. If the 12 IS going, then I expect some new compact portable in January at the latest. Maybe a new 12" PB, maybe a 13", maybe something ultraportable and low-end: a new smaller iBook. But SOMETHING to meet the ultracompact market.

If whatever that is is NOT a PowerBook, then maybe the 15" PB will gain a lower-end, cheaper version... or the iBook will gain a higher-end version. Something to fill in the gap of having no low-end 12".

The simplest thing of course would simply be that the 12" is not changing at all Or that it IS changing, but wasn't ready for Wednesday. Maybe in a month there will be a new 12" to join its updated siblings.
post #24 of 86
agreed, I can't believe thinksecret posted that the 12" powerbook was "dying". It's being replaced with either 13" or 12widescreen, or smaller screen. Apple's not going to kill off something that is wildly successful.


Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
I think there will be a photo-related announcement (or why keep the booth secret?) but it may not be one that's exciting outside that field.

There should be at least ONE exciting announcement--probably the PowerMacs.

Alongside that could be some lesser announcements, and I fear PowerBooks may fit that description. The BIG PowerBook news is Intel, and it's too soon for that.

I do NOT however think the 12" PowerBook is going away without something to replace it. If the 12 IS going, then I expect some new compact portable in January at the latest. Maybe a new 12" PB, maybe a 13", maybe something ultraportable and low-end: a new smaller iBook. But SOMETHING to meet the ultracompact market.

If whatever that is is NOT a PowerBook, then maybe the 15" PB will gain a lower-end, cheaper version... or the iBook will gain a higher-end version. Something to fill in the gap of having no low-end 12".

The simplest thing of course would simply be that the 12" is not changing at all Or that it IS changing, but wasn't ready for Wednesday. Maybe in a month there will be a new 12" to join its updates siblings.
post #25 of 86
sweet fancy moses, attention span in people must be dropping, because if you don't know that "photo pro" will be debuting in that fancy box thinksecret showed a while ago, there's just no hope for you. hello, mcfly! HELLO!!!! (knock, knock, knock)

and a dual-dualcore G5 will be plenty big to debut alongside it. i mean, hell, sure, intel boxes are coming, but DUAL DUALCORE? are you KIDDING me?!? that box gonna rox!
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #26 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
Apple will release DAM software (digital asset management) and will not compete with Photoshop.

Yes it would be nuts to go up against Photoshop. But what would "Photo Pro" really add that Photoshop doesn't? Surely Apple is dying to use it's Quartz Extreme engine to full effect.


Hrmmm...
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
- - - - - - - -

- J B 7 2 -
Reply
post #27 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -
I hope it's big. But if it's too big, what we they have left for MWSF?

Won't you agree that it's far better to intro stuff now instead of watching sales of the Pro gear by pros plummet even further and sitting on inventory. They can always cancel the keynote like they did Paris. Anyway MWSF is more of a consumer type event anyway.
post #28 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by xav3x
i think its good this way. we get to hear what "might" come out. Whats the fun if we already know?

I agree. Why spoil this early Christmas suprise by opening the gifts early?
post #29 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
Apple's not going to kill off something that is wildly successful.

Like the iPod mini? Unless you consider the nano or new iPod its replacement, of course.
post #30 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by jherrling
Anyway MWSF is more of a consumer type event anyway.

A good event to announce AirPort A/V with H.264 support.
post #31 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -
I hope it's big. But if it's too big, what we they have left for MWSF?

Ilife 06
Iworks 06
Ibook Intel? Front Row
MacMini Intel? Front Row
Ipod video 80gig
DVR?
Airport AV
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
Reply
post #32 of 86
If you want to dream about something with a 1% chance of making it then try to believe that Freescale (Moto in reality) has actually kept their prediction of dual core G4s for the PB.

I don't think there is any doubt that the PM will get the juices flowing - it's the PB that needs a real kick to generate excitement and a dual core would do it.

You have until the announcement to dream - then back to reality!
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #33 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
there will be NO apple pro photo HARDWARE. NO cameras, unless you mean isight stuff.

People I don't mean to be a jerk, but Have any of you ever been to photopro? It's professionals, not kids, not ipod lovers, no imacs, but people who spend millions of dollars a year on high end 50k+ photo equipment.

Apple will release DAM software (digital asset management) and will not compete with Photoshop. You will see updated powerbooks, updated powermacs, YOU WILL NOT SEE an apple camera, rangefinder, strobe light, blacklight, or any sort of equipment you've ever dreamed of running at your beer party.

I'll be at photopro expo :-)

I think you missed the point of my post. I was trying to address the fact that there will be no photo hardware at the show, all bases covered, from Apple, without sounding like a jerk about it.
post #34 of 86
I agree with what a lot of people are saying here. It'll be a photo management program. iPhoto is not suitable for professional use and Adobe's solution isn't that good. The CS suite has photo (and file) management built in but it doesn't work as easily and as transparently as one would have hoped. If you want to do really simple stuff you have to deal with a lame flag system, constant window resizing to make everything fit etc. The browser program in CS applications feels forced. That's why it got replaced by adobe bridge. It's a way forward but still needs a lot of work. I can quite easily see Apple grabbing this market with their ease of use, an organic way of working with files and a trasparent integration with the adobe suite.
I guess we all have to wait and see
post #35 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
A good event to announce AirPort A/V with H.264 support.

Yeah baby! I'm thinking some very cool and trick enhancements to the pro-line for sure but maybe not that trick just yet. Bustin dual Duals and a very respectable boost to the PB lineup along with some new techno tricks and pro software that I'll buy anyway.

After all, the spillage of "pro" stuff has done spilled to the iBook line... Time for some more new pro gear to keep the innovation lead and excitement flowing for another 5-6 months. Plus, go out with a bang before the Intel infusion.

How many NEW stores scheduled for 2006? What killer industry leading gadgets around the corner? Get some stock before the end of this year cause Apple's gonna rock the world... And I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
never say never!
Reply
never say never!
Reply
post #36 of 86
I'm going to be at the show Thursday and maybe friday as well.

All I can say about the truth about this rumor about Apple being there is that the largest booth at the show, behind Canon, booth number 338, which has normally been taken by HP, says 'RESERVED".

Whether this will be Apple, I can't say. Even my people at Apple won't say. All I got was an "interesting, isn't it?"

By the time I get back home Thursday, everyone will know what's there, but those of us who will be there will hopefully get literature that we can discuss, and maybe I'll take some pic's.
post #37 of 86
cool. finally we actually got a few appleInsiders actually "on the inside" no offense to Kasper & gang, I'm sure they'll keep us updated as well.... As the servers are pummelled to death
post #38 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by forda
i can't decide if the major new product that is related to photography is an application or hardware. you know an apple branded digital camera would be awesome...

They did this already. It was called the Apple Quicktake...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake
pe@ce
Reply
pe@ce
Reply
post #39 of 86
Quote:
Originally posted by Trans9B
They did this already. It was called the Apple Quicktake...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

Besides, there is nothing that I can se Apple adding to the digital camer world these days, except for the amateur segment. This is called PRO innovations.

I really hope they keep it that way. The Photo Expo is mostly a Pro event, even though companies show their non pro stuff as well.
post #40 of 86
This is the feature set (although not complete) that will WILL see in the new PRO application.

It is really a no brainer as the features have long been listed right on the Apple website, but we have not expected them to be used in an APPLE application separate from the OS.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

the needs of the Core Image abilities built right into the OS do demand a very capable graphics card and no doubt this is something that would be expected in a PRO application.

The exact way that Apple integrates the CoreImage features into the new PRO app I guess will have to wait until tomorrow.

Parousia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple quietly plans massive presence at PhotoPlus Expo