or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.3

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.3 - Page 2

post #41 of 143
What is the deal with that?!?!?! Maybe its because I had the 56MB version

grrr. Anyone else with this problem?!??!?!
post #42 of 143
Actually, it's been like that for a while. Just not noticed it. It's because I'm running the Iridium theme.

http://www.sagefire.org/C1827030151/E20050812201046/
post #43 of 143
Yeah, I noticed a number of permissions fixes after applying the 10.4.3 update. I repaired them right before updating so I know these changed for sure. They focussed primarily on the standard widgets, but my full repair list is below.

After restarting it appeared that Spotlight re-indexed my entire hard drive. Anyone else have this? Damn, still chugging away. This will take forever. \

Anyhow, here's the repair list:
Quote:
Repairing permissions for G5 HDX
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global
Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk
Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4
Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060
Permissions differ on ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -r-xr-xr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk
Permissions corrected on ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #44 of 143
10.4.3 breaks Eyehome 1.6. Eyehome launches, runs about 30 secs then quits.
post #45 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by Xool
Yeah, I noticed a number of permissions fixes after applying the 10.4.3 update. I repaired them right before updating so I know these changed for sure. They focussed primarily on the standard widgets, but my full repair list is below.

After restarting it appeared that Spotlight re-indexed my entire hard drive. Anyone else have this? Damn, still chugging away. This will take forever. \

Anyhow, here's the repair list:

I had this too and the scary part is I had them all again (didn't count, but it seems like it) when I repaired permissions a second time immediately after.
post #46 of 143
It seems like 10.4.3 also breaks Pith Helmet for Safari, anyone else have this issue as well?
post #47 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by onit
I had this too and the scary part is I had them all again (didn't count, but it seems like it) when I repaired permissions a second time immediately after.

Erm, you do know how repair permissions works yes?

It checks the files on your disk are the same as in the Receipts. If they don't match it changes them but most of the messages are just informational. Permissions are rarely wrong. It's a hangover from OS9.

There's a peculiar urban myth built up on the forums about 'repairing permissions'.
post #48 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by zonazag
It seems like 10.4.3 also breaks Pith Helmet for Safari, anyone else have this issue as well?

PithHelmet breaks on every Safari release.
post #49 of 143
Quote:
Other applications
  • Disk Utility can verify the Mac OS X 10.4 startup volume with this update.

More like it tries to, and then promptly locked up my Powerbook.
post #50 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
It's pale blue on mine...

i have a theory that Core Image Accelerated GFX cards have the blue and non-CIAGFX have the PMG5 theme.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
post #51 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by theapplegenius
i have a theory that Core Image Accelerated GFX cards have the blue and non-CIAGFX have the PMG5 theme.

Any support for that theory? (Not that I don't believe it, but a theory should be supported by some research )
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #52 of 143

Ahhhh nothing like a wonker like myself working on a production machine.

Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself.

The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted.

\

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
post #53 of 143
Quote:
Erm, you do know how repair permissions works yes?

It checks the files on your disk are the same as in the Receipts. If they don't match it changes them but most of the messages are just informational. Permissions are rarely wrong. It's a hangover from OS9.

There's a peculiar urban myth built up on the forums about 'repairing permissions'.

Permissions might be rarely wrong, but its a stupid thing on Apple's part to keep displaying those stupid "We're using sp4ecial permissions..." messages. Who cares that they're using special permissions. It makes it sound like something keeps changing the permissions, and that they have to be continually repaired. I remember that people would say this in 10.3.x with some specific message, but I never knew for sure whether it was true, and if it was to be ignored, why does Apple insist on informing the user of pointless information. It'd be like having a big dialog on boot that says "You've successfully booted your computer"
post #54 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
Any support for that theory? (Not that I don't believe it, but a theory should be supported by some research )

No, that's not it. I also have the G5 cheese grater widget background on a Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB. Core Image is alive and well, pick up widget, drop, make pretty waves. eYe candy, mmmmmM good.

I forget what it sucked down, 97MB or something, a few MB short of 100MB was the update.
post #55 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by tink

Ahhhh nothing like a wonker like myself working on a production machine.

Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself.

The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted.

\

Same thing happened to me. I did a hard reboot. and everything has been fine since.
post #56 of 143
Quote:

Nope. It was because I had the Iridium theme installed. I later corrected myself.
post #57 of 143
Ahhhh nothing like a wanker like myself working on a production machine. Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself. The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted. \

ah.. the mac equivalent of
dancing with the devil
in the pale moonlight
with a six pack in one hand
serious drugs in the other..
post #58 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by physguy
10.4.3 breaks Eyehome 1.6. Eyehome launches, runs about 30 secs then quits.

Found that going back to Eyehome 1.5.2 gives a workable solution for now.
post #59 of 143
Quote:

I'm running an X800XT and I get the "PowerMac G5" background. I think your theory has just been PWNDZ0RZ! Still, it's a weird inconsistency...
post #60 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by physguy
Found that going back to Eyehome 1.5.2 gives a workable solution for now.

EyeTV 1.8.3 seems to work fine just for reference.
post #61 of 143
w00t!! i can use iTunes now for all divx/xvid TV show watching and cataloging**. Sweetness and Light... even 720p playback thru iTunes is teh r0ck now. **via quicktime pro "save as reference movie" avi --> mov "conversion" (also downloaded latest 3ivx and Divx Fusion codecs)
post #62 of 143
Actually, it's been like that for a while. Just not noticed it. It's because I'm running the Iridium theme.

cool. my Uno Unified theme seems to be doing fine with 10.4.3...... pure inteface bliss....... ahhhhh......
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27932
post #63 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by Sladuuch
I'm running an X800XT and I get the "PowerMac G5" background. I think your theory has just been PWNDZ0RZ! Still, it's a weird inconsistency...

I agree. I have a 9800 Pro and I get the G5 look.
post #64 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Permissions might be rarely wrong, but its a stupid thing on Apple's part to keep displaying those stupid "We're using sp4ecial permissions..." messages.

I agree that it is silly to output the notices, but the important thing is that a few items actually had permission changes.
post #65 of 143

¥ Slowed down my startup for at least four reboots. It's still not as fast to boot as before.

¥ MacJanitor, Onyx and Tiger Cache Cleaner no longer compatible.

¥ No noticeable improvments in speed anywhere.

Where's the Beef ?

DP 2.0 G5 with 2GB RAM
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
post #66 of 143
Quote:

Why would Apple have that background - it looks shit! Anyway PowerPC architecture is definitely new.
post #67 of 143
After installing 10.4.3, my system seems slightly more responsive overall. Spotlight searches are also faster, perhaps significantly.

I have not noticed any issues (installed the update yesterday).
post #68 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by MacCrazy
Why would Apple have that background - it looks shit! Anyway PowerPC architecture is definitely new.

Come on, do keep up at the back.
post #69 of 143
I just repaired my permissions. - there's a helluva lot to fix. I copied and pasted all the changes listed at the end in the Disk Utility interface. When dropped into a TextEdit document, it saves as a 9.3Mb file! And that's from the 56Mb download.
post #70 of 143
Quote:
Come on, do keep up at the back.

He had the Iridium theme running!
post #71 of 143
btw, i just downloaded the standalone 97mb installer from apple.com/downloads. this way, i get my money's worth no measly 56mb update for me!!
post #72 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by domdn
I just repaired my permissions. - there's a helluva lot to fix. I copied and pasted all the changes listed at the end in the Disk Utility interface. When dropped into a TextEdit document, it saves as a 9.3Mb file! And that's from the 56Mb download.

My list wasn't even near that big...I didn't copy and paste the list I had but it wasn't more than 24k in size if I had to guess.
post #73 of 143
maybe connecting to an FTP with the finder will actually work now
post #74 of 143
Restart was very slow, 85 seconds use to be 50 seconds. My big 3, Photoshop, iPhoto and iMovie all work good.

reg
post #75 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Permissions might be rarely wrong, but its a stupid thing on Apple's part to keep displaying those stupid "We're using sp4ecial permissions..." messages. Who cares that they're using special permissions. It makes it sound like something keeps changing the permissions, and that they have to be continually repaired. I remember that people would say this in 10.3.x with some specific message, but I never knew for sure whether it was true, and if it was to be ignored, why does Apple insist on informing the user of pointless information. It'd be like having a big dialog on boot that says "You've successfully booted your computer"

Absolutely.

Disk utility to repair disk or to repair permissions shoud ony inform: repairs were performed in red or no repairs were necessary in green. And then perhaps a log button with more information in case repairs were performed and you want to know about it. Apple: why complicate things when they can be SO EASY!!!
post #76 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
Ahhhh nothing like a wanker like myself working on a production machine. Restarted my dual 2Ghz G5 to clear out memory, etc and repaired permissions. Downloaded the 56 mb download while I cleaned my desk and let the installer have the whole computer to itself. The update installed and my computer restarted. Text input went wonky and my G5 went into a Kernel Panic in the first 30 seconds! WEEEEEEEEE HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Hard shut down and straight home. I'll see if she starts up and plays nice tomorrow. Ahh the looming deadlines...

Got to love giving into temptation and loading a virgin OS update on a production machine before it's been vetted. \

ah.. the mac equivalent of
dancing with the devil
in the pale moonlight
with a six pack in one hand
serious drugs in the other..

Interesting analogy, but from what i read, it is more like Tiger SP2..

I installed, ran permision repair 2 times, rebooted, permittion repaired again and the (very long) fix list was identical every time. Other than that, the UI is WAY faster, faster than even our top of the line winXP video production rig here at work. Safari loads cold in one bounce (about 1 second) same with itunes and mail...word has stopped crashing, spotlight is insainly fast...

Essenially my mac mini UI is as fast under 10.4.3 as the UI on the top end PM at the Apple store under 10.4.2

With preformance boosts like that, maybe I am not outgrowing the mini as fast as I thought I was
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #77 of 143
yes, excelente. maybe it's too early but i'll make the big call. this is Tiger - Production Edition. 10.4.3, ready for primetime. bring it. Tiger has truly arrived. One OS to rule them all, straddling a measly powerpc g3 all the way to a Quad g5 and of course, smatterings of Pentium Ms and Yonahs and Meroms and Conroes around the corner.... Just as AAPL is at an all-time high, and M$ struggles with Vistahorned still more than a year away. Be forewarned though, I've been using WinXP64bit for a while now, it is pretty solid. And it feels like i am operating at a level up from those poor souls on XP home/pro. Nontheless the breadth and depth of Tiger, from Aperture for pros to Lost and HD Trailers via iTunes, FrontRow, etc., is really quite stunning.... (although Yes, on the microkernel that may at times be bested by Linux-on-Opterons, and running the hardware-agnostic "universal code" that the iLord has asked of developers).
post #78 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by dacloo
great update, BUT:

the update....

Disables Quartz 2D ExtremeQuartz 2D Extreme is not a supported feature in Tiger, and re-enabling it may lead to video redraw issues or kernel panics.

yeha, that' gross. really

btw, all of you that will try to apologize apple: i really don' t care your opinion.
Close the world, open the Next
post #79 of 143
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
What is the deal with that?!?!?! Maybe its because I had the 56MB version

grrr. Anyone else with this problem?!??!?!

me, on powermac g4. i have preferred to download the installer from apple site
post #80 of 143
Has anyone noticed now in 10.4.3 the Get Info window now specifies the architecture of the program? For example Command-I on Safari shows Architecture: PowerPC beneath the usual information.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.3