or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006

PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006 - Page 2

post #41 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
I will get me a 13" wide screen notebook, as long as the height is cut down. Anything deeper than this 12" and it is too big for me.

I think I have conlcuded that us 12" fans are travel freaks.

Well, not quite. I commute 2 hours each way to my job (by train) and use my PB to give lectures in PowerPoint or analyze molecular data in the lab. The small form factor is saving wear and tear on my back compared to my 15" TiBook. Plus, I can often work on the train more easily with a smaller laptop if I'm lucky to get a seat.

But I want a full featured small laptop, not an iBook. The only thing keeping me from purchasing a small Panasonic or Sony laptop is the OS. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way... Apple needs to open its eyes here.
post #42 of 239
So I maybe by the end of '06 the lineup will look something like this...

Single-core Yonah for the 13" iBook -> 05/2006

Single-core Yonah for the 15" iBook -> 05/2006

Single-core Yonah for the 13" PowerBook -> 03/2006

Dual-core Yonah for the 15" PowerBook -> 03/2006

Dual-core Merom for the 17" PowerBook. -> 09/2006

I still think the Mac mini will be the first to go Intel in January though.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #43 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984

Haven't you heard? The Mac Mini is going to be killed.
post #44 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by 1984
So I maybe by the end of '06 the lineup will look something like this...

According to the article it may simply be:

- Dual-core Yonah for the 15" PowerBook -> jan-feb/2006
maybe along with a single-core Yonah Mac mini (I agree with you)

- Single-core Yonah for the 13" iBook -> apr-may/2006

- Dual-core Merom for the 17" PowerBook. -> sept/2006

I'm fine with the integrated iSight and all the widescreen sizes.
Single-cores in iBook and mini are OK, but I'd rather see slower-speed dual-cores...
maybe for the end of 2006!
post #45 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by jimhill
Dammit, Apple! Knock off the camera integration, willya? I know this is a rumor, but they stuck one in the iMacs and that's not promising. I work in a classified environment and cameras in the Mac (or the Cinema Display) translates directly to "We don't buy any more Macs. Period."

And I'm not alone. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands, of workplaces that will not tolerate cameras built into an Internet-capable machine. I'd hate to see Apple close the door to all those potential buyers.

What about people hacking in and watching whats happeing on the screen or acessing your data, could be done in theory to any computer with internet accsess
post #46 of 239
AGREED... NO CAMERA IN THE PRO RANKS!

Plus like a_greer said it needs more room in depth to house a cam.

Ok... The 12 incher goes and the iBook grows so BRING ON THE SUB NOTEBOOK!
That's fine with me. This and a COOL (do it right) Apple branded phone with lots of room for video and music, will knock the pants off the consumer markets. The sub-notebook will be the ultimate portable music/video player and basic laptop. Keep the cost under $700 please. Keep the shuffle, nano and the video pod (at reduced pricing of course) and we got some serious growth potential in the consumer lines! Evolve the mac mini into the HTMAC and push on with the iMac!

The pro division will be secondary to exploding in the consumer markets and come at a later time in the year showcasing the really GOOD stuff!

Oh yeah... IMHO
never say never!
never say never!
post #47 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by imiloa
i agree. button cams are pretty evolved at this point. the bezel size is a good point, but there may be clever ways around that. eg: a small cam unit that stows in the laptop base, and plugs into a socket at the top of the display.

regardless of how it might be done, my guess is that there are a handful of apple engineers pondering the best solution. first video chat, now frontrow, next is? clearly something pro users will want down the road.

You could have tried to say that a little nicer couldn't you? Disagree if you wish, but try some manners.
post #48 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme
That camera-latch patent looks very awkward. (Though I realize it's only a diagram, and Apple has great designers.)

I'd rather see them hide the iSight barrel sideways inside the top frame, with a mirror that reflects the view out towards you. Some digital still cams do something like that I think.

Just because Apple patented the thing doesn't mean they'll use it. I applaud Apple's attempt at spreading the use of video chat. They have a great thing going and they should use it. That said, if this becomes a reason to switch to macs then PC's will jump on the bandwagon. That is when Apple's patent gives them protection, even if they use a mre elagant solution as you described.

Just my 2 cents.
post #49 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by Existence
Haven't you heard? The Mac Mini is going to be killed.

No it isn't. The Mac Mini is certainly not the best selling Mac, but it does ok. More Mac Minis are sold than Powermacs. Furthermore, there is a lot more they can do with the Mac Mini. They won't drop it.
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
*Powerbook G4 12" - 1.5 GHZ
*iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ (Mid 2007), *Apple 20-inch Cinema Display (Aluminium)
*iPhone 4S, Airport Extreme (2011) *MacBook Air 11-inch (Late 2010)
post #50 of 239
Quote:
Dammit, Apple! Knock off the camera integration, willya? I know this is a rumor, but they stuck one in the iMacs and that's not promising. I work in a classified environment and cameras in the Mac (or the Cinema Display) translates directly to "We don't buy any more Macs. Period."

And I'm not alone. There are thousands, likely tens of thousands, of workplaces that will not tolerate cameras built into an Internet-capable machine. I'd hate to see Apple close the door to all those potential buyers.

Perhaps an option for the administrator of the computer to be able to turn of the functionality of the camera would solve the problem with a mouse click?
post #51 of 239
geez, never thought so many tears would pour because of a little rumoured camera in a pbook!

I've got a pretty easy 5 step solution for this huuuge invasion of corporate privacy;

1. get paper
2. get sticky tape
3. put paper over camera
4. apply sticky tape
5. relax...
post #52 of 239
Main differences between Yonah and Merom?
post #53 of 239
Quote:

Get a Mac Mini or better yet Power mac.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #54 of 239
The camera is not a concern, seeing as though Apple is the most secretive, lawsuit, and NDA centric of any public company involving their own employees.

BTO -- No camera. (Add $300)

This would be used by the corporate customers, that are accustomed of paying more for a custom phone without camera.
post #55 of 239
Quote:

Ditto. I'm a consultant and visit lots of different customer sites. Some of which are classified and require me to hand in my mobile phone at reception because it has a camera. I can usually get special dispensation to take my PB with me, but if it had a cam built in too, that would be the end of that.

Besides, I don't like the idea of a built in PB cam. At least with the current iSight you can choose where to mount it to get the best angle and best use of available light. If its built into the lid you've no chance. You'll be fiddling around with the lid angle to get your head in the picture. Yuck
post #56 of 239
I vote for a new widescreen PowerBook with the same full size keyboard as the current 12", 15" and 17" models BUT it has a 16:9 or 16:10 screen.

The current 12" display is 9.68" in width. Now at 16:9 the diagonal size of the display would be 11.11" and at 16:10 the diagonal would be 11.42".

Take a look at the specs of Sony VAIO TX1XP and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...d=36&page=4436

Just beautiful!

Just putting it out there...

Cheers Daniel
Add your ideas to the Apple Mac OS X Wish List.
Add your ideas to the Apple Mac OS X Wish List.
post #57 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Cell phone camera's are not allowed in a lot of work places. He does raise a good point. There is no way that is going to fly in corporate America where strategy meetings are held in rooms with no windows so the competition can't see through a window at what is on their white board. If you think this is far fetched, I can garuntee you that it isn't.

But build-in microphones are no problem?
post #58 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by noirdesir

Go figure! I never said corporate America was smart.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #59 of 239
apple i'm sure has done it's homework as to wants and wishes for consumers and pro users. cameras isight must fill a need, very few windows laptops have them and it's not because of "corporate needs" they could make it an option. but what about this push in corp world in reducing costs for meetings, teleconferencing using the pb with isight MUST fill a requested pro need. consider the buzz when all this comes out, apple has to separate itself from the masses of laptops out there to convince the corp/ pro user to turn away from dell and ibm. so how does apple separate it's line from other intel products (not just with os x)
someone needs to make a predicted speed chart of the new configs with the present offerings--so how much faster...20% 50% 100% 200%?. also make a chart as to predicted battery life compared to present apple laptops. thin is cool but battery life and usability is key for many of us.

i'm looking to get a apple laptop to replace my dell8100 i use for only one program at work--so i can't wait for someone to figure out how i can use a pb and run a windows program natively. too bad apple doesn't move lot of it's apps to web based like google is trying to do.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #60 of 239
I'm not too concerned about the 25% reduction in size, as cool as it may be. What would really sell me on a new 15" powerbook would be if it were also 25% lighter. I don't know if Apple could pull this off, but imagine a 15" notebook that weighs a mere 4.2 pounds. Lighter than the current 12".
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
post #61 of 239
re: integrated iSight in IntelBooks... how about fibreoptics? The Cam itself can be located anywhere inside the case - only a part of the optical components has to be on top of the display.
post #62 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by admactanium
why doesn't it make sense? they can fit optics in a cellphone, there's no reason they couldn't put an isight into a powerbook. the optics wouldn't be as good as a full-sized one, but it could work.

The iSight has a good ccd, and good optics. The CCD thing is likely workable, but the optics would likely sacrifice a ton...the 2-inch thick iMac leaves a lot of space that a ~1/4 inch lid does not, and as for it being mounted in the base, I sayt no for 2 reasons
1: bad angle/lighting
2: same as before, te space is already occupied (unless you could sacrifice a FW port or maybe the PCIMCA slot on the 15/17 inch models)

Also, the power books are a PRO unit, most pros alreay have a camera that has far better optics that could be used as a web cam...so I ask again, WHY DO THIS?

It is like the proverbial answer without a question
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #63 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by noirdesir

A lot of places (so I hear) demand that the phones be turned off, and maybe not even brought into important strategic meetings, particularly for companies in IT that may at some point somewhere along the line, compete with the phone companies.
post #64 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by 666
geez, never thought so many tears would pour because of a little rumoured camera in a pbook!

I've got a pretty easy 5 step solution for this huuuge invasion of corporate privacy;

1. get paper
2. get sticky tape
3. put paper over camera
4. apply sticky tape
5. relax...

I hope laptops dont go this direction...I CANNOT get a good, hi-end (color screen, bluetooth, SMS, wireless web) phone without a camera from Verizon, Cingular or Sprint...the last thing I need is to not be able to get a laptop without a camera in it! If I want/need a camera, I WILL BUY ONE!

The iMac cam makes perfect sence, but on a professional laptop? hell no!
post #65 of 239
and >25% better battery life--under 5 pounds and true 5 hours of use yo baby
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #66 of 239
what the heck? build-in? not-build-in? (security concerns in business use (which are actually lower than u might think - a laptop is not as tiny as a cell))... but there's a simple solution for that kind of problem: make it BUILD-TO-ORDER!
post #67 of 239
I think some of you have forgotten about this September 16, 2005 article that AppleInsider published:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1273

They nailed the iMac with the iSight long before it came out (and let's not forget about that two-button mouse rumor either.) AI's track record WRT future Apple products is at parity or eclipsing Think Secret. If I were using AI's reporting as a guide I would be a betting man that we'll be seeing not only Intel PowerBooks soon, but PowerBooks with built-in iSights.
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #68 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Also, the power books are a PRO unit, most pros alreay have a camera that has far better optics that could be used as a web cam...so I ask again, WHY DO THIS?

Right, this rumor about a built-in camera in the Powerbook lid seems to me bogus.
post #69 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by DeaPeaJay
Come on! Who's gonna be able to hack into a mac and spy on corporate secrets? It's very unlikely this would be possible.

How about someone from inside? Built-in cameras are a BIG NO in such an environment.
post #70 of 239
How is Merom compared to Yonah speedwise?
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #71 of 239
post #72 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by amac4me
The current revision to the Powerbook line was less than spectacular. As a result I haven't convinced myself to purchase one.

With this rumor hitting the wires, I don't mind waiting for the Intel based systems
post #73 of 239
What if the camera wasn't built-in, but removeable. In such a way that when it is a part of the PowerBook, it looks as though it's built-in....sort of like the way we used to have removable optical drives and batteries in the Pismo.
post #74 of 239
i'm sure this camera will be an option.

how much skinnier is 20-25% ?
thinking of it makes me giddy.

this is the ultimate decision. do i wait for the intel machine or go and get this last gen PPC 15inch PB?
post #75 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by DHagan4755
What if the camera wasn't built-in, but removeable. In such a way that when it is a part of the PowerBook, it looks as though it's built-in....sort of like the way we used to have removable optical drives and batteries in the Pismo.

The microphone isn't easily removable either, I don't remember that being a big issue even though one could record conversations around the laptop without others knowing it. I have personally tried this once.

Using the laptop to capture images at VGA resolution is going to look much more suspicious.
post #76 of 239
RE: iSight in the lid of a PowerBook.

Won't work nicely. You need a lens large enough to capture enough light to give you the proper focal length to get you a decent depth of field.

I don't have any handy calculators handy, but there are some DoF apps and a Widget floating around; however they won't give you enough information about what literal size mm lens and what physical mm depth (even with reflective internals) you'll require.

Someone?
post #77 of 239
Quote:
Won't work nicely. You need a lens large enough to capture enough light to give you the proper focal length to get you a decent depth of field.

Wrong. The Sony Vaio BX series has a webcam option that fits righ into the top of the LCD frame. Apple won't be the first here to integrate webcams into a laptop.

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcat...ooks/bx-series

I hope Apple is smart enough to put a dock/port replicator into these new books. And how about a Dock that can run dual monitors as well. That'll get the attention of plenty of PC users.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #78 of 239
What's all this fuzz about dropping the 12" PB. Of course it will be replaced by something much better!!
The 13" Widescreen Powerbook or iBook will weigh less than the current 12"PB (less than 2 KG) will be maybe just slightly wider (1-2 cm less thatn 1") will be as thin and as deep as the current 12" PB. It will just rock.
Look at comparable Windows machines from Sony or ASUSTEK (Who will eventually build the 13" Apple Notebook)
No imagine those machines in sleek Apple Industrial Design and of course they will be available in white or BLACK. Just like the iPods and Nanos...
This will rock..
post #79 of 239
Quote:
Originally posted by iomatic
RE: iSight in the lid of a PowerBook.

Won't work nicely. You need a lens large enough to capture enough light to give you the proper focal length to get you a decent depth of field. [...]

How about if they integrated the lense into the lid clip/latch. A rotating latch that both hold the lid in place and protects the lens when the laptop is closed and can also be rotated around to take pictures at any angle (with clever software to flip the upside-down image when rotated past a certain point).
-- Candidas
-- Candidas
post #80 of 239
No, no, I'm totally aware that there are built-in cameras out there, but I wonder about the quality. I mean, digital photographic optics require a certain amount of light to reach a decent-sized CCD for resolution and depth-of-field. The more light, the better, you know what I mean? I'm just wondering:

a) what sacrifices need to be made to integrate a camera. For one, on the Sony BX, tilting the display to focus on your face seems like a Bad Idea.
b) What's the overall quality you get from compromising?

It just seems like the negatives outweigh the benefits. Hey, I could be wrong; they'll probably slap one in there. But I'm still skeptical.

Quote:
Originally posted by hmurchison
Wrong. The Sony Vaio BX series has a webcam option that fits righ into the top of the LCD frame. Apple won't be the first here to integrate webcams into a laptop.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › PowerBook to gain iSight, iBook to go widescreen in 2006