or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Motorola introduces RAZR V3i handset with iTunes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorola introduces RAZR V3i handset with iTunes

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
Motorola on Tuesday revealed two new colors and two new versions of its popular and stylish ultra-slim RAZR mobile handset, including a version that will ship with Apple's iTunes software.

Modelled after the Motorola RAZR V3, the RAZR V3i (previously dubbed the RAZR2) will be just the second mobile handset to feature Apple's iTunes software. It includes an updated and streamlined brushed-metal design, offering a large internal color screen, a hot swappable TransFlash memory card, quad-band technology and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.

The handset, which includes a dedicated iTunes key, also sports an integrated 1.23 megapixel digital camera with a full screen view-finder, 8x digital zoom, and video capture and playback.

Nowhere on Motorola's website does the company provide any details on the handset's iTunes integration, other than to say the device will use a mini-USB stereo headset. However, it's assumed the RAZR V3i will be limited to storing 100 tunes, just like Motorola's first iTunes phone, the ROKR.

Along with the RAZR V3i, Motorola also announced existing RAZR models in shades of pink and ice blue, as well as a RAZR with Ev-DO for CDMA networks. All four new RAZR models are expected to be available in various regions by the end of the year.

"We wanted to evolve the Motorola RAZR without compromising the integrity and philosophy of the original design," said Leslie Dance, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing and Communications. "These four new phones complement the millions of RAZRs already in use, enabling consumers to choose the experience that best fits their personal style and mobile needs."

Motorola did not announce which carrier would offer the new phones, but Cingular seems a likely choice for RAZR V3i and candy-colored models, while sources indicate that Verizon will eventually begin carrying the CDMA version of the RAZR.

Motorola RAZR V3i with iTunes

The RAZR V3i with iTunes support was first detailed in this September, 2005 AppleInsider report. Meanwhile, a more recent report suggests that in the coming months Motorola will also debut a SLVR L7 handset with iTunes that will not feature a traditional headphone jack and instead will require a Bluetooth headset accessory.
post #2 of 41
God, that is one ugly phone!
post #3 of 41
Ok, this is pretty cool.

Hopefully it will do better than the Rokkr, since this is what everyone was wanting in the first place.

I just wish these articles would stop spreading the misinformation about the 100 song limit.

The limit isn't for the phone, it's for the card. You can get more cards and store more songs. It's a single card playlist limitation. Each card can have another 100 song playlist.

Sure, the costs do add up. But we're not talking about a vast decrease in the number of songs on a card. The card might hold 120 songs, perhaps a few more. So if you wanted 150-200 songs, you would need another card anyway.

I bought my daughter a 512MB Micro SD card on sale for $37.50. Not bad. They will keep getting cheaper.
post #4 of 41
Please, oh please, oh please have a T-Mobile branded version. I'm looking to upgrade and really don't want to spend out the ass for an unlocked (GSM) version.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Please, oh please, oh please have a T-Mobile branded version.

What is T Mobile, GSM or CDMA?
post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
What is T Mobile, GSM or CDMA?

GSM. I edited my post above.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
GSM. I edited my post above.

Ok then, at least you have a chance.

I'l keep my (figurative) fingers crossed for you.
post #8 of 41
I think it looks pretty slick. Much better than the fugly ROKR.

I've always preferred flip phones because you don't have to remember to lock the damn keypad everytime you put them in your pocket. My first (and last) candy-bar phone dialed out long distance once when it bumped against my keys and it cost me $20. Never again!

(let the jokes about putting a device in your pocket with keys commence...)

The two problems I have with this phone:

1) Again, only 100 songs -- c'mon!
2) I like the tactile feedback of pressing a real button.

Does anyone know if you can expand the number of songs by using extra memory cards (since it says that memory cards are hot-swappable)?

(just noticed the post by melgross after i posted, so i guess that answers my question)
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #9 of 41
100 songs is fine with me - I may buy one. Does the RAZR phone sync calandar items?

The only things I use my P800 for are

- telephone functions
- address book with sync
- calandar with sync and reminder rings
- solitare game

If I can get all that in the RAZR, I can reduce the bulge in my pocket and get iTunes songs at the same time.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
If I can get all that in the RAZR, I can reduce the bulge in my pocket and get iTunes songs at the same time.

Well, since iSync already supports calendar and address book syncing with the RAZR v3:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

then I'd assume it should work with the v3i when it comes out.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by auxio
I think it looks pretty slick. Much better than the fugly ROKR.

I've always preferred flip phones because you don't have to remember to lock the damn keypad everytime you put them in your pocket. My first (and last) candy-bar phone dialed out long distance once when it bumped against my keys and it cost me $20. Never again!

Most (if not all) candy bar style phones have automatic keypad lock, which automatically locks keypads after certain period of inactivity.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by filburt
Most (if not all) candy bar style phones have automatic keypad lock, which automatically locks keypads after certain period of inactivity.

Mine doesn't, and I just got it (first cell phone of my life) last june. Nokia something or other 3220 I think. I like my phone. It's small, and it does what I want to (make calls!).

I've never had a problem remembering to lock it.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by filburt
Most (if not all) candy bar style phones have automatic keypad lock, which automatically locks keypads after certain period of inactivity.

Yeah, this was a few years back (very old Motorola phone -- can't remember the model offhand), and it didn't have that feature. Even still, having to unlock the keypad every time you use your phone is a pain. Also, the problem with antennas (antennae?) snapping off is another issue I have with cell phones. So I prefer an internal antenna (as the RAZR has).

Coincidentally, I don't own a RAZR (I have a Sony Ericsson Z600) and probably won't buy one for a while due to the price (I don't like being locked into a phone plan, so $800cdn for a phone is too much for me), but I do like the style of it.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #14 of 41
This looks interesting and may prove to be the phone I'm looking to purchase but I wish Apple would get on with producing their own brand-already!. I would purchase there's without reservation.

By the time this thing ships I'll know if it's for me but in the mean time, c'mon Apple!


"phone home... home. phone... home"
never say never!
Reply
never say never!
Reply
post #15 of 41
I wonder how much it's going to cost?

I'm looking to replace my aging phone - and the RAZR is a cool, sleek phone ... but I'm not sure it's worth what the original RAZR even costs at this point. I guess you pay for the form factor.
post #16 of 41
with these phones can you download songs and use them as ring tones?
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir
with these phones can you download songs and use them as ring tones?

I don't think so.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by danielandrews
I'm not sure it's worth what the original RAZR even costs at this point. I guess you pay for the form factor.

The RAZR V3 unlocked GSM phone is down from $600 originally to $279 now - does not seem very expensive to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...MP=OTC-FROOGLE

The new one with iTunes will undoubedly cost $600.

PS - even lower, $219:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Motorola-V3-...QQcmdZViewItem
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #19 of 41
Does Cingular do what verizon so infamously did with the v710 as far as bluetooth? If I get the razor, can I get to the pics and stuff on the phone via the bluetooth spec and not have to "hack" it open or pay for picture mail to get to MY pictures?

I was comparing the Cingular razor to the VZ e815+bluetooth hack for my upcoming departure from Sprint and iTunes will likely be a deal closer.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Does Cingular do what verizon so infamously did with the v710 as far as bluetooth? If I get the razor, can I get to the pics and stuff on the phone via the bluetooth spec and not have to "hack" it open or pay for picture mail to get to MY pictures?

I was comparing the Cingular razor to the VZ e815+bluetooth hack for my upcoming departure from Sprint and iTunes will likely be a deal closer.

I can't say that. But I can tell you what I've been reading about Bluetooth and the phone industry in general.

Phone companies have been disrupting the Bluetooth on phones. When the Treo 650 first came out, people were complaining that there were bugs in the advertised Bluetooth features.

It turned out that the phone companies didn't want any of those features to work other than the headphones. They wanted pictures and stuff sent through their networks ONLY. Same reason why iTunes phones aren't being seen all over.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
Does Cingular do what verizon so infamously did with the v710 as far as bluetooth? If I get the razor, can I get to the pics and stuff on the phone via the bluetooth spec and not have to "hack" it open or pay for picture mail to get to MY pictures?

I was comparing the Cingular razor to the VZ e815+bluetooth hack for my upcoming departure from Sprint and iTunes will likely be a deal closer.

I can't say much about the new RAZR, but with the existing one that Cingular has, it is indeed possible to transfer pictures and ringtones to/from the phone via Bluetooth.
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
Proud member of AppleInsider since before the World Wide Web existed.
Reply
post #22 of 41
Is there any word on whether it will sync at the 480Mbps USB 2 mode?
post #23 of 41
Although it is cool looking from physical point of view, its UI is still atrociously bad.

I don't understand why the phone is so popular among Mac users. They should care about UI more than typical Windows users.
post #24 of 41
I'll second the UI complaints. It is the worst UI I've EVER seen on a phone.

On the songs as ringtones issue, you should be able to do it. The standard V3 can play MP3s as ringtones, so at worst you may have to move the file into another area on your phone for it to see it (assuming you can't set it directly from the iTunes part).
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesS
I can't say much about the new RAZR, but with the existing one that Cingular has, it is indeed possible to transfer pictures and ringtones to/from the phone via Bluetooth.

w00t! A fair company! No artificial handicapping!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by filburt
Although it is cool looking from physical point of view, its UI is still atrociously bad.

I don't understand why the phone is so popular among Mac users. They should care about UI more than typical Windows users.

I have played with the Moto v551 and it uses the same software as the razor, the UUI isnt good by defaut, but oyu can change elements of it and make it work pretty good, as good as my Sanyo anyhow...

Name a better phone UI, must be flip, and dont dare say Samsung, they suck worse than Moto
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #27 of 41
Interesting news. The price of the Rokkr has just been lowered to $149.95 with a contract.

I imagine that this will mean that the price of the new one will be about what the price of the old one was.
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Interesting news. The price of the Rokkr has just been lowered to $149.95 with a contract.

Not at T-Mobile's site. I swear they're going to be late to their own takeover.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #29 of 41
I'm on my second RAZR (Black is Beautiful!) and I think it's not just Mac users who find this phone popular, but everyone who is design or fashion conscious. The best UI and compatibility with the Mac is ANY Sony Ericsson from the old T68 on down. I really like Moto's handset design but nobody beats S/E for UI. I had a T616 that not only remembered the last 30 calls, but had little icons to show which were incoming or outgoing, whether a message was left and when you selected one to call back you could switch between which number you wanted to use even their email;ALL FROM THE SAME SCREEN!!
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
Not at T-Mobile's site. I swear they're going to be late to their own takeover.

Cingular.
post #31 of 41
meh. more moto rubbish. whatevs (IMO the RAZR is the only decent phone moto has but the UI still looks like ass.)
post #32 of 41
**stupid question**

whats a UI?
I love you...
Reply
I love you...
Reply
post #33 of 41
Not stupid at all.

It's User Interface.
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by Project2501
God, that is one ugly phone!

Not!

This is the iPod phone i was hoping for. It's just sad it only holds 100 songs. I should hold 400 min.

The Motorola UI is much better then the Samsung I had before so I'm happy with it.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Reply
post #35 of 41
Not crazy about any of Moto's offerings. If Apple is just sniffing around this market, I expect them to own it once they really commit. They would do as bang up a job with phones as they do with iTunes. As a matter of fact, I would guess they had been studying the cell phone/subscription service market as part of their systems design for iTunes. Cell phone service is like printing money for the phone companies.

The craziest part of it is that iTunes is not a necessity like cell phones have become, but it sure seems like it is since it serves so many markets now (i.e.: storage of one's CD library, new music downloads, video on-the-go, podcasting).

It's been amazing to watch the people at Apple work to bring the company back to pre-eminence, and thank Steve Jobs for that. He is the living, breathing embodiment of Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #36 of 41
heh. that's why ed zander is/was pissed. he realised how he got *used* by apple ah, but anyway moto came out of the deal alright. their associations with apple will translate into increased phone sales and increased brand value, i'm sure........ not to mention cingular as well.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
Not crazy about any of Moto's offerings. If Apple is just sniffing around this market, I expect them to own it once they really commit. They would do as bang up a job with phones as they do with iTunes. As a matter of fact, I would guess they had been studying the cell phone/subscription service market as part of their systems design for iTunes. Cell phone service is like printing money for the phone companies.

The craziest part of it is that iTunes is not a necessity like cell phones have become, but it sure seems like it is since it serves so many markets now (i.e.: storage of one's CD library, new music downloads, video on-the-go, podcasting).

It's been amazing to watch the people at Apple work to bring the company back to pre-eminence, and thank Steve Jobs for that. He is the living, breathing embodiment of Apple.

The Razr's are pretty popular though. If it can get Apple in a good position in this industry, then it's a good thing.

These entry's into the market don't cost Apple anything. They learn from the experience either way.

And MOTO gets blamed if it doesn't work out, but Apple gets a lot of the praise if it does.

Good deal!
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
The Razr's are pretty popular though. If it can get Apple in a good position in this industry, then it's a good thing.

These entry's into the market don't cost Apple anything. They learn from the experience either way.

And MOTO gets blamed if it doesn't work out, but Apple gets a lot of the praise if it does.

Good deal!


I hear ya. Steve once again provides rock-solid strategy and a good "out" if things don't work.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 41
post #40 of 41
wtf is that legal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Motorola introduces RAZR V3i handset with iTunes