or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Even smaller iPod shuffle may debut in January
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Even smaller iPod shuffle may debut in January

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
A second-generation iPod shuffle digital music player from Apple Computer will be noticeably smaller than the existing model and could see an introduction as early as January, says one Wall Street analyst.

"We are hearing of an even smaller form factor (smaller than a pack of gum) and the potential for the re-introduction of multiple colors," said American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu in a research note obtained by AppleInsider.

Wu believes the new shuffle could come as early as January and said Apple's preparation for the product refresh was likely behind its recent move to add Hynix as a third supplier of NAND flash memory chips.

In order to minimize overlap with the iPod nano, the analyst believes storage capacities and price points will remain similar to Apple's current iPod shuffle offerings at $99 for the 512MB model and $129 for the 1GB.

"We believe [a January introduction] could help offset seasonal weakness in the March quarter similar to last year when the iPod shuffle was introduced," Wu added.

Meanwhile, the analyst acknowledged there may be a minor radio frequency interference problem with Apple's latest iPods where the players will go "crazy" when placed very close to a ringing GSM cell phone.

However, Wu believes concerns over the issue may be overblown:

"From our checks, it appears to impact GSM and not CDMA phones and only on nanos and video Pods," Wu said. "When a ringing GSM phone is directly in front of the clickwheel, the iPod could go 'crazy' and its volume could fluctuate uncontrollably (reminds us of R2D2 when shot by a laser gun)."

The analyst said the issue is likely to be rectified by Apple easily applying better or more foil tape inside the iPod, similar to what is done with cell phones and other devices in shielding interference.

"We do not believe this is a big deal and believe the worst case is Apple takes a minor write-down like it did with its iPod battery issue," Wu added.

American Technology Research continues to rate Apple a 'Buy' with a price target of $66.
post #2 of 29
Quote:
"We do not believe this is a big deal and believe the worst case is Apple takes a minor write-down like it did with its iPod battery issue," Wu added.

Minor write-down? That's analyst speak for "voluntary replacement plan" after a couple of class-action suits are filed.
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
(reminds us of R2D2 when shot by a laser gun).



As long as it doesn´t behave like Bishop in Alien, when he is shot by a regular gun.

So electro-magnetic fields are more like laser beams than force-by-projectile when applied to computer controlled machines with interfaces? Hmm. Looks like a job for

"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
Reply
post #4 of 29
How about people with big hands? I'm 6'2" and the nano already feels like a kids toy. Even smaller?

Looks like somebody hasn't been testing the ergonomics of a big segment of the market.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
How about people with big hands? I'm 6'2" and the nano already feels like a kids toy. Even smaller?

Looks like somebody hasn't been testing the ergonomics of a big segment of the market.


they are for kids.
you need a MAN-SIZED ipod-vid.
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by _ alliance _
they are for kids.
you need a MAN-SIZED ipod-vid.

Or a Zen.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
post #7 of 29
I held a nano just yesterday for the first time, and it kind of looked ugly. I think the ipod has lost its charm .
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Reply
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Reply
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Glamingo
I held a nano just yesterday for the first time, and it kind of looked ugly. I think the ipod has lost its charm .

I know you just playin
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Glamingo
I think the ipod has lost its charm .

You are unique.
post #10 of 29
Am not playing

Its still good
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Reply
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Reply
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Glamingo
Am not playing

Its still good

We still love you. Albeit a little less.
post #12 of 29
It's just that you've lost some of your charm.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #13 of 29
Sorry, I shouldnt of said it had lost all its charm.

Its just lost a bit to me
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Reply
Would it really be worth living in a world without television - Krusty the Klown
Reply
post #14 of 29
I think the nano and 5G iPod both have lost a little charm in losing the remote connector. The nano gets a few extra points taken off for the headphone jack being on the bottom.

But they're still REALLY cool.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #15 of 29
i think losing firewire was the biggest kick in the ass, more than anything else mentioned, but that's just my opinion...
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
"If it weren't for my horse...I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

"If curling is an olympic sport, then oral sex is adultery. If anything, oral sex should be an olympic sport...cause it's...
Reply
post #16 of 29
I think an ipod shuffle should be about half the size of my thumb, with the thickness of the nano. How else are they going to market it? Its already thicker than the nano!

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by iShawn
Or a Zen.

It's these failed attempts at sarcasm that keep me coming to this place.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Gene Clean
It's these failed attempts at sarcasm that keep me coming to this place.

I try.
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
-Shawn
2.4GHz 24" Intel iMac
Reply
post #19 of 29
I don't see a BIG need to keep your phone right in front of the iPod clickwheel WHILE both devices are in use
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by iShawn
I try.

^ And you succeed.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #21 of 29
As much as people would like to blame the Ipod for the GSM issue, it is more of a GSM phone problem. I know that some GSM phones interfer with other electronic equipment when they ring. I have seen them cause problems with office conference phones if the GSM phone is places on the table too close to the conference phone.

I think people need to be careful when assigning blame, in this case just becuase the ipod freaks out does not mean it the ipods problems. I am inclined to say it's a GSM phone problems since they tend to interfer with other equipment as well.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmoNut
I think the nano and 5G iPod both have lost a little charm in losing the remote connector. The nano gets a few extra points taken off for the headphone jack being on the bottom.

But they're still REALLY cool.

The remote loss on 5G is unfortunate. The relocation of the headphone jack is pretty much a design constraint due to the thin size, there would be no room for the LCD and a jack. I'd prefer to keep the device thin, that was the selling point for me.

I am disappointed by the loss of Firewire, I don't believe for a minute that Portal Player or whoever couldn't have put the firewire controller on the microcontroller, it wouldn't cost much to develop. The incremental cost would have been nearly nil, maybe a few square millimeters of board space, no additional thickness and a scant few more pins.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM

I am disappointed by the loss of Firewire, I don't believe for a minute that Portal Player or whoever couldn't have put the firewire controller on the microcontroller, it wouldn't cost much to develop. The incremental cost would have been nearly nil, maybe a few square millimeters of board space, no additional thickness and a scant few more pins.

I'm disappointed as well, although USB2 is fast enough for any iPod it isn't nice to lose that boot-from-firewire functionality or the charge from clamshell mode laptop.

I believe that Firewire requires a PHY chip regardless of how the Firewire controller is implemented. That takes up space and thus would be one of the first things to go in a size and/or cost reduction.

I wonder how small these new Shuffles will be.
post #24 of 29
I just don't get how even smaller devices are in any way more useful. Where will they fit that the current Shuffle will not? Thinner things break easier. (No doubt this suits Apple though - as long as people think it was their own fault it means more iPods sold.)

What I'd like to see in the low end segment is an iPod built inside some sturdy headphones, and either a Shuffle or Nano with builtin mic and recording. A strong, long clip could be nice.

Then again, Apple has placed needless size wankery in front of what makes sense with the mini, too.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
I just don't get how even smaller devices are in any way more useful. Where will they fit that the current Shuffle will not?

Well, as for the shuffle...fitting into closely positioned USB slots while other devices are plugged in would be good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
Thinner things break easier. (No doubt this suits Apple though - as long as people think it was their own fault it means more iPods sold.)

A tad cynical are we?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gon
What I'd like to see in the low end segment is an iPod built inside some sturdy headphones

You may well see this someday.
post #26 of 29
Price: $699 ("...holy smokes, dude! that's cheap!11!!!11!...")
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Glamingo
I held a nano just yesterday for the first time, and it kind of looked ugly. I think the ipod has lost its charm .

i agree. the new iPods aren't that fantastic, and it seems like the ergonomics are getting a little off.
post #28 of 29
the new iPod shuffle look so cool, i'd like to get one, and looking for whether it can put my dvd on new iPod shuffle, glad to find one which can convert dvd and video to new iPod shuffle,
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflin View Post

the new iPod shuffle look so cool, i'd like to get one, and looking for whether it can put my dvd on new iPod shuffle, glad to find one which can convert dvd and video to new iPod shuffle,

LMFAO!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Even smaller iPod shuffle may debut in January