Originally posted by e1618978
I loved it too. You had to ignore the "is it a solar system or is it a galaxy?" thing - how could they lose Miranda when it was obviously in the same solar system as the radio guy?
Or maybe not, since they seem to have FTL radio and travel.
Also, the "broadcast to the universe" button was stupid in the backup transmitting station. How often would you use that? - it was the only button there.
But that was fleeting, and the movie was just as good as the series for me.
It is one solar system -- they don't have any faster then light technology.
I truly loved the Firefly series, but there are many things that I didn't like about Serenity:
1)Horrible plot points:
a) Loosing/hiding a planet that everyone can see with a telescope and millions of people had immigrated to. Yeah right...
b) Airborne tranquilizers that calm down 90% of the recipients, and turns the other 10% in to hyper-aggressive monsters. Sounds more like a miss-cast magic spell than a product of science (and they somehow missed a disastrous 10% side effect in the laboratory trials.)
c) Ok, even if you accept the ridiculous plot points so far, they become terribly inconsistent: They show that 90% of the population dies peacefully from apathy, but if 10% of the population turned to vicious monsters as they stated, the tranquil members of the population would have been mutilated, raped, and killed by the hyper-aggressive.
The Revers were well done on Firefly. They were the Indians roaming on the edge of the western-based solar system that terrified the settlers. In the Movie they were changed into monsters from a grad C horror flick. (The movie was supposed to be based on Firefly, not Buffy the Vampier Slayer.)
2) The Combat:
a) Turning River into a totally unrealistic killing machine was just bad. The sharp shooting she did in one of the Firefly episode was one thing, having her becoming an unbeatable hand to hand killing machine moves the film out of science fiction and into the realms of Wutan magic Kung fu movies and Buffiy the vampire slayer shows.
b)Speaking of ridiculous mystical fighting techniques: The Alliance Operative's nerve hits that paralyze the victims and stiffen them like a board so he can make a speech before killing them -- how cheesy and unrealistic can you get? Totally impossible magical attacks have no place in a science fiction setting (they were annoying enough on shows like Xena Warrior Princess).
3) The Killings
Killing off characters, especially when rapping up a series, has become a Joss Whedon trademark, and the character deaths in Serenity did not help drive the plot, but had a feeling of "look at me -- I'm Joss Whedon and I have the balls to kill main characters!"
There was also some history revisions and character modifications that I did not like, but it will only bother people who watched and enjoyed Firefly.
Firefly was one the best Science Fiction series ever done, and I really wish that its memory was not tarnished by the abomination of a movie called Serenity.
Humm, can you tell that I was somewhat disappointed by this movie...