or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Spotlight, wireless, RAW enhancements due in Mac OS X 10.4.4

Spotlight, wireless, RAW enhancements due in Mac OS X 10.4.4

post #1 of 54
Improvements to Spotlight searches, AirPort, Bluetooth, and RAW camera support are a few enhancements Apple reportedly has planned for an early winter release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update, a routine maintenance update to the Mac OS X "Tiger" operating system.

Earlier this week, Apple provided developers with the third external pre-release build of the update, according to sources and reports present on the Internet. With the build, reportedly labeled Mac OS X 10.4.4 build 8G14, Apple expanded developer testing areas to cover AirPort, iSync, Disk Utility, and others.

Mac OS X 10.4.4 is scheduled to deliver fixes for AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access, Spotlight indexing and searching, and RAW camera support. Sources also say the update will correct bugs in Software Update, Sync Services, Core Audio, Core Image, and several default Dashboard widgets.

As is customary with the majority of Apple's Mac OS X Updates, Core Graphics will see improvements along with new versions of ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers. New versions of AppleScript, iChat, DVD Player, and Safari applications are also expected.

Meanwhile, Apple continues to tweak USB and FireWire devices compatibility, and SMB/CIFS and NFS network file services.

It appears that Mac OS X 10.4.4 is on track for a release before the holiday break. The software update reportedly weighs in at 46MB in Delta form, or 113MB as a Combo updater.
post #2 of 54
They're really polishing Tiger, aren't they?

Now just imagine Leopard in early 2007, with a new Finder, fully res-independent scalable UI, and the various window themes finally made consistent (which I think there's good evidence to suggest they will be).
post #3 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by nagromme

"Polishing"? Tiger was barely acceptable before 10.4.3 because of all the serious bugs. Now they're finally delivering on their promises...
post #4 of 54
Quote:
New versions of AppleScript, iChat, DVD Player, and Safari applications are also expected.

Not that I don't like updates ... but every time DVD Player is updated I have to get a new patch to make it region free again! I'm glad the same's not true for VLC

Tiger is a sweet OS, and with my old 867MHz PowerBook I miss out on most of the bugs. I'm really looking forward to Leopard of course ... res independency at last! They'd better not exclude the non-Core Image'd from it!

Of course, this talk of a Media Centre Tivo-killing Intel powered Mac Mini is giving me ideas about upgrading before Leopard. I wonder which will come first though for that model, Blu-Ray writers or 10.5?
post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by fuyutsuki
Tiger is a sweet OS, and with my old 867MHz PowerBook I miss out on most of the bugs. I'm really looking forward to Leopard of course ... res independency at last! They'd better not exclude the non-Core Image'd from it!

I don't see how Core Image would have anything to do with it. Quartz 2D Extreme might, which your PowerBook won't do either, but then what's the point on your laptop anyway? The resolution you have is far too low to make a res-ind UI truly interesting.
post #6 of 54
Quote:

Now just imagine Leopard in early 2007, with a new Finder, fully res-independent scalable UI, and the various window themes finally made consistent (which I think there's good evidence to suggest they will be).

And just imagine early 2008 when all of that becomes stable with 10.5.4...
post #7 of 54
Considering that nobody I know has had a problem with Tiger--not even the ones using the very first release--I'm afraid I can't share the pessimism about OS X

Problems do happen of course (in any product), but online forums would make a person think they were more common and more intrusive than they really are: the motivation to post when you have a problem is high. Not so high when you have nothing that needs solving.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by ficino
"Polishing"? Tiger was barely acceptable before 10.4.3 because of all the serious bugs. Now they're finally delivering on their promises...

Sure...when 10.4.4 is out the argument will be that Tiger was 'barely acceptable before 10.4.4'...when 10.4.5 is out...10.4.6...
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Considering that nobody I know has had a problem with Tiger--not even the ones using the very first release--I'm afraid I can't share the pessimism about OS X

Problems do happen of course (in any product), but online forums would make a person think they were more common and more intrusive than they really are: the motivation to post when you have a problem is high. Not so high when you have nothing that needs solving.

True, nagromme.
One time, my PS2's disc drive was so screwed up, and it would not read a single PS2 game. I was considering a new PS2, but I couldn't find any good prices. I would also go on forums for them and everyone was saying that they were made of terrible quality parts. Then I found the mother of all deals. At EB Games, you could trade in any PS2, 3 games (they could be worth like 3 dollars each!), a controller (it even didn't have to be made by Sony!), and the AV cable and power cord, and get a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW -slim- PS2, for 50 dollars! Bought it right away. Haven't had a problem with it since. I installed Tiger on my iBook back in May and I never had any problems right from the start.
post #10 of 54
understand this: every OS achieves perfect stability and feature functionality the day its upgrade is released.

pessimistic, i know, but true. \

but i still buy each upgrade, because i want to know how to fix things for friends/family/co-workers when they inevitably run into the problems. could be worse... windows is just going to heap 6 years of development into one os and hope they can troubleshoot the bugs once it's out of the gate. not going to be pretty.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

post #11 of 54
Quote:

Woohoo! A new finder! Just what we need, Apple re-designing everything again! More UI inconsistencies! More bloated software, spinning beachballs, wasted space, inconsistent usage, lots of glitz to make demos look good, removal of one UI element to add another one, for no reason then the sake of change (you know, the way they tossed the useful toolbar in System Preferences and replaced it with the near useless search box).

This when all most people want is a Finder whose settings would actually stick. You know, if you turn on "Calculate all sizes", it would actually hold longer then a day. Or allow users to actually figure out how to change the column sizes for the "all folders" view, or just mount an iDisk without locking up the Finder...
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Woohoo! A new finder! Just what we need, Apple re-designing everything again! More UI inconsistencies! More bloated software, spinning beachballs, wasted space, inconsistent usage, lots of glitz to make demos look good, removal of one UI element to add another one, for no reason then the sake of change (you know, the way they tossed the useful toolbar in System Preferences and replaced it with the near useless search box).

This when all most people want is a Finder whose settings would actually stick. You know, if you turn on "Calculate all sizes", it would actually hold longer then a day. Or allow users to actually figure out how to change the column sizes for the "all folders" view, or just mount an iDisk without locking up the Finder...

Apple should fire the current Finder team and replace it with the Aperture team. And, uh, same with iTunes.
post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
Sure...when 10.4.4 is out the argument will be that Tiger was 'barely acceptable before 10.4.4'...when 10.4.5 is out...10.4.6...

Sad but true..

Tiger has been good to me.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
post #14 of 54
Quote:

Spotlight Search really does have to be fixed NOW.

But we really do need a rez independent finder. With screen displays getting higher and higher in rez, this is really needed.

It's not as though the current one is all that great.
post #15 of 54
You need resolution independence for what now? Do you have a 300dpi or even 200dpi display? Do you have a graphics card that can drive this? Hell we don't even have a processor that can drive this sorta thing.

This is about 2 years off on my list.

Quote:
Originally posted by melgross

But we really do need a rez independent finder. With screen displays getting higher and higher in rez, this is really needed.

It's not as though the current one is all that great.
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by ficino

Its a good job you dont use Windowsotherwise, you could be in for a very long wait
post #17 of 54
Quote:

Every kind of change will always be unappealing to some. That's life. For instance I really, really like Spotlight in System Preferences. But not everyone has to like what I like.

However, if you're assuming the new Finder will throw out all the good and familiar, I suspect you're wrong. I think it will be like the current Finder, but improved. Which is needed! Less buggy, LESS bloated and wasteful... and MORE--not less--consistent. These are the benefits of rewriting the Finder. The bloat and beachballs you fear are more likely to result from NOT re-doing the Finder.

Now, as for a res-independent UI: yes, it will be vital when displays go into the hundreds of DPI. But it's VERY useful right now--for the same reason it's useful to be able to change the res of a CRT: it gives each user the CHOICE of readability vs. workspace. And the ability to change that choice for different tasks.

I find most text and menus on most modern screens is too small for comfort. After long hours, it becomes a strain. Boost them up to 150% and they'll be sharper than ever! I'd love that.

And yet for some tasks (like Director and Flash) I want all the workspace I can get. I might well drop the scaling down to 75% or so in those cases.

It's a big feature--and one that requires redrawing all the UI elements at bigger sizes (and/or vectors). And THAT, in turn means more UI consistency in OS X! Why spend the time re-drawing four different versions of the metal theme and two different versions of white? I would expect them to re-draw just one of each. (iTunes 5 is probably a sneak peek.)

And this is not mere speculation: res-independence IS coming. Maybe not until Leopard, but it's already hidden in Tiger for developers to enable:
http://developer.apple.com/releaseno...pendentUI.html
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail
You need resolution independence for what now? Do you have a 300dpi or even 200dpi display? Do you have a graphics card that can drive this? Hell we don't even have a processor that can drive this sorta thing.

Since January a Powerbook can drive a 2560x1600 resolution, the 30" screen. If you squeezed this number of pixels into 15" screen, you would a have PPIs close to 200.
Graphic card power is not a limitation.

The highest resolution screen I could find was 15.4", 1920 x 1200, which comes out at 147 ppi. I guess resolution independence on such a screen would be no luxury.
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by noirdesir
Since January a Powerbook can drive a 2560x1600 resolution, the 30" screen.

Which is 101 ppi.

Quote:
If you squeezed this number of pixels into 15" screen, you would a have PPIs close to 200.

Um, there's a few problems with that.
1) that resolution is 16:10. The 15-inch PowerBook, however, is 3:2 (or 15:10).
2) You can't exactly use a higher resolution on a TFT than the one it was designed for, unless you want to fake the user into thinking there's higher detail than there actually is.
3) If you're suggesting for Apple to offer this much higher resolution during a redesign, you're being unrealistic. Even if Apple were to consider doing that, they would be heavily hindered by the fact that there are most likely no current panels of this extreme density. If someone were to produce them (or if one existed), it would be at outrageous prices that people would not be willing to pay for a laptop.

I don't see 200 ppi happening any time soon.

Quote:
Graphic card power is not a limitation.

It very much is, although the 128 MB of VRAM a PowerBook currently has are certainly enough to handle that resolution while maintaining QE, Q2DE and GPU-accel'd CI/CV.

Quote:
The highest resolution screen I could find was 15.4", 1920 x 1200, which comes out at 147 ppi. I guess resolution independence on such a screen would be no luxury.

It would be quite essential, in fact, to reasonably drive such displays, yes.
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
Improvements to Spotlight searches, AirPort, Bluetooth, and RAW camera support are a few enhancements Apple reportedly has planned for an early winter release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update, a routine maintenance update to the Mac OS X "Tiger" operating system.

Mac OS X 10.4.4 is scheduled to deliver fixes for AirPort and Bluetooth wireless access, Spotlight indexing and searching, and RAW camera support.

Any rumors of new camera support, such as Pentax raw?
post #21 of 54
I DON'T CARE!

When the hell is Apple going to FIX the slooooooow down of their OS on my dang dual 2ghz G5 instead of bloating their os with useless crap that makes even the most simple of tasks tedious! Like freaking opening windows and applications! C'mon!!
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by webmail

This really doesn't present much of a challange to any graphics card on the market today, as long as it has 64MB RAM. Graphics aren't challanged by any 2D work anymore. It's the 3D functions that present problems.

you don't need a 200 or 300 dpi monitor for this to be a problem. My Sony 24" at 1920 x 1200 has text in the finder that is too small already for many people. you can increase that size now, but the result is clumsy, at best. The problem is far worse with most anything else. Many times magnification just isn't a good solution. A systemwide solution is needed.

TRhe processing power for this is no greater than what is needed now. Once a size is selected, there is nothing special that the system has to do. No different than what we have now.
post #23 of 54
Quote:

I remember reading that at the time it came out. It was well distributed, but I forgot all about it.

Apple had that out well before current cpu's and graphics boards. It shows that power is not a limitation for implementation.
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
Any rumors of new camera support, such as Pentax raw?

10.4.4 is supposed to have an increased level of support, but as to which cameras?

I've heard that they intend to support all D-SLR's at some point.

Remember though, that Canon and Nikon account for 90% of the sales of such cameras. So support reflects that.
post #25 of 54
I think you missed his point completely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
[B]Which is 101 ppi.

So? It wasn't a 1:1 mapping he was pointing out.

Quote:
2) You can't exactly use a higher resolution on a TFT than the one it was designed for, unless you want to fake the user into thinking there's higher detail than there actually is.

and he said that if a 15" display had a 2560x1600 resolution, it'd be 200dpi, and he is right.

Quote:
3) If you're suggesting for Apple to offer this much higher resolution during a redesign, you're being unrealistic. Even if Apple were to consider doing that, they would be heavily hindered by the fact that there are most likely no current panels of this extreme density. If someone were to produce them (or if one existed), it would be at outrageous prices that people would not be willing to pay for a laptop.

and he pointed out that 150dpi panels exist today at the 15" size, and that resolution independent displays would be a near requirement for that size anyway. Have you seen Windows on those laptops, it's stupid.

Quote:
I don't see 200 ppi happening any time soon.

In an Apple laptop? No.
Elsewhere? Yes, indeed we already have it. I believe that Nokia's Linux based tablet is around 200dpi.

Quote:
It very much is, although the 128 MB of VRAM a PowerBook currently has are certainly enough to handle that resolution while maintaining QE, Q2DE and GPU-accel'd CI/CV.

A 2560x1600 display takes up 16MB of memory. 128MB of VRAM for such a display would be the same as driving a 4MB display with 32MB of VRAM. I'm sure Mac Minis are driven further all the time.
post #26 of 54
Quote:

I actually though that toolbar was pointless, and I prefer the System Preferences the way they are in Tiger.
Alexis 'jeriqo' BRET
Alexis 'jeriqo' BRET
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by BEatMaKeR
I DON'T CARE!

When the hell is Apple going to FIX the slooooooow down of their OS on my dang dual 2ghz G5 instead of bloating their os with useless crap that makes even the most simple of tasks tedious! Like freaking opening windows and applications! C'mon!!

You must have screwed something with your finder, or are used to Cray computers
Alexis 'jeriqo' BRET
Alexis 'jeriqo' BRET
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Hattig
A 2560x1600 display takes up 16MB of memory.

You're thinking in terms of VGA. For DVI, calculating this is a more complicated matter. And as I said, a lot of VRAM will be required to drive QE (for window compositing acceleration), Q2DE (for actual drawing acceleration, especially when we're talking about resolution independence!) and CI/CV.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Every kind of change will always be unappealing to some. That's life. For instance I really, really like Spotlight in System Preferences. But not everyone has to like what I like.

That's fine. But why did they lose the toolbar? They could've kept both.

Quote:
However, if you're assuming the new Finder will throw out all the good and familiar, I suspect you're wrong. I think it will be like the current Finder, but improved. Which is needed! Less buggy, LESS bloated and wasteful... and MORE--not less--consistent. These are the benefits of rewriting the Finder. The bloat and beachballs you fear are more likely to result from NOT re-doing the Finder.

Well, I guess my concept of bloat is different then yours. In my eyes, bloat is what you get when you add more functionality to an existing product. It gets larger and larger. Plus, the fact that you're adding more or less implies you're not rewriting what's there. I doubt they'd keep the same finder interface and say "Hey, let's just rework all the underpinnings!", because someone's going to say "What? You want to rewrite a bunch of code so what you get is what we already have?".

Rewriting also doesn't make it more consistent (and more consistent with what?). Its more likely that it would be less consistent (hell, the rewrote mail and now its less consistent then the other OS X apps then before).

Oh, and while re-writing might get rid of bloat or beachballs from existing non-optimized code, it also then leads to, get this, more bugs, not less. Because the code would have to be retested from the ground up, not where the finder is now. So, who knows, you could be talking more beachballs waiting for the buggy code to get fixed.

Oh, and to say they'll add more to the current finder, I'd believe that if it wasn't for the fact that when they 'improved' the system preferences, they actually took out useful (for me, at least) functionality. I used to keep highly used system preferences up there (network, .mac, user, windowshade, etc) for easy access. Now its always a game of "Find the icon". Sorry, I guess I just never got in the habit of typing in 4 characters to find something that should be a click away.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker

He didn't mean literally that specific shape--he meant that the GPU in a current PB has the power to drive a high number of pixels like that.

Quote:

Yes, you can.

This isn't about changing resolutions like a CRT does (or like faking it on an LCD). If that's what you're talking about, this is different. This is a res-independent UI. Fully scalable.

An analogy: you may be talking about making a 1400-pixel LCD "think" it has 2800 pixels (just an example). Bad idea--you're right. But that's not res-independence. Res-independence is when the screen is always native 1400 and knows it.... but the 28 point fonts are all 9 point. The 64-pixel icons are all 32. The 20-pixel menu bar is now 10. All automatic and completely system-wide. EVERYTHING scalable by a percent. Want everything 25% smaller, or 25% larger, then you see it now? You can--at full sharpness. You give up detail to gain workspace, or vice versa. To any degree you choose, at any time you wish to change it.

It's a simple percentage slide, and it's in Tiger now (but hidden). Once the OS is ready with the higher-res bitmaps (window buttons etc) to make it look CLEAN, it can be enabled. That might wait for Leopard.

Quote:
3) If you're suggesting for Apple to offer this much higher resolution during a redesign, you're being unrealistic.

I agree (and he probably didn't mean that literally either). But you could have the equivalent WORKSPACE even with the current screen unit. Fewer pixels but more windows: everything would be at a smaller pixel size. A useful option to have for certain tasks, as I mentioned above. AND that means no more pixels for the GPU to push than we have today.

200-300 DPI is ONE reason to need a scalable UI. In future. But there other reasons right now. And Leopard (aka 10.5) might well take us from 2007 to 2009 or something, after all.
post #31 of 54
Quote:
That's fine. But why did they lose the toolbar? They could've kept both.

I can see that detail is a pet peeve of yours Understood. I have some of my own!

But that detail doesn't mean you shouldn't want Apple to make other changes. Some of them you WILL like

And you certainly shouldn't want Apple not to re-work the Finder. It truly needs that. Rather, you should want them to re-work it in a GOOD way. Despite the loss of that toolbar you liked in Prefs, Apple does do MANY good things with software.

Quote:
Well, I guess my concept of bloat is different then yours. In my eyes, bloat is what you get when you add more functionality to an existing product. It gets larger and larger. Plus, the fact that you're adding more or less implies you're not rewriting what's there.

Agreed. That's why they SHOULD re-write what's there. (And software will always gain features and get bigger over time. It's not ALWAYS wrong to add functionality--and people who don't want it can stick with the old version.)

Quote:
I doubt they'd keep the same finder interface and say "Hey, let's just rework all the underpinnings!", because someone's going to say "What? You want to rewrite a bunch of code so what you get is what we already have?".

Well, yes--that is done all the time. Something works well on the surface but is buggy underneath, so you re-write it. Sometimes that becomes necessary, and the Finder is old enough to have reached that stage. The result is something that is "the same" in some ways. And improved in others.

The re-done Finder won't be identical, but I'm sure it won't throw out everything that's familiar either. Some things work great about the Finder and will still be with us. How different will the next Finder be? We don't know. On the surface it may be very similar, just more stable. With nicely-integrated new features added that you can use or not as you see fit. Or it may be time for a bigger change. Like when Column View (which I love) arrived from NeXT.

And even if they kept the old Finder like you want, it wouldn't stay identical. It's not perfect, and will evolve. No matter what. Change will come. New features will come. So, they may as well simplify and optimize it by going Cocoa in the process.

Quote:
Rewriting also doesn't make it more consistent (and more consistent with what?). Its more likely that it would be less consistent (hell, the rewrote mail and now its less consistent then the other OS X apps then before).

I agree here too. We're into MY pet peeves now I like having "document-centric" apps be white, and "self-contained" apps be metal (a pattern Apple has begun moving toward). But I do NOT like having 4 different kinds of metal, and 4 different kinds of toolbar. Tiger Mail is a good example. It's great in some ways, but what's with the unique button style never seen anywhere else?

Rewriting does NOT mean more UI consistency.

The reason I believe more UI consistency is coming is because of the res-independent UI. See above. Apple is re-drawing ALL the UI graphics, by necessity. That's a chance to make them consistent, and failing to do so only multiplies their work.

The variety of different themes they have tried bewilders me, but I believe they will pick from among them and settle on a single direction (or two--I'm OK with that). iTunes 5 is probably a hint of things to come.

Quote:
Oh, and while re-writing might get rid of bloat or beachballs from existing non-optimized code, it also then leads to, get this, more bugs, not less. Because the code would have to be retested from the ground up, not where the finder is now.

By that logic, all old software should always be kept and never re-worked, "just in case" they do an incompetent job with the new version. But there WILL always be new software. You don't have to buy it, but software WILL continue to be written. And yes, it will need testing, and nothing will ever be 100% bug-free.

Quote:
I used to keep highly used system preferences up there (network, .mac, user, windowshade, etc) for easy access. Now its always a game of "Find the icon". Sorry, I guess I just never got in the habit of typing in 4 characters to find something that should be a click away.

There's your pet peeve again You don't have to type 4 characters, but you do have to click twice now (or use the menu) to get to one pane from another. I don't mind, but I can appreciate that you liked the old way. Nothing wrong with that.

I may have good news: I think you can still run the OLD style prefs toolbar in Tiger if you wish. Search online--I'm pretty sure there's a hack that does just what you want.

Just don't assume, because ONE change Apple made wasn't ideal for your habits, that ALL future changes by Apple will be mistakes. I expect that 10.5 will actually bring some good things.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
10.4.4 is supposed to have an increased level of support, but as to which cameras?

I've heard that they intend to support all D-SLR's at some point.

Remember though, that Canon and Nikon account for 90% of the sales of such cameras. So support reflects that.

I guess I like to "Think Different" with my camera choice (Pentax), much as I do with my computer choice (Mac). 8)
post #33 of 54
I love my Pentax! No other company made a comparable camera for my needs. (I never use RAW though, always JPEG.)
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by bikertwin
I guess I like to "Think Different" with my camera choice (Pentax), much as I do with my computer choice (Mac). 8)

I have to admit that they are doing things "The Apple Way."

They have a small market share, so they are coming out with unique products.

I really like this new lens. No one else has anything like it. (from steves-digicams. (no link to the lens)

"Pentax Announces First Pentax DA Fish-Eye Lens

Golden, CO...PENTAX Imaging Company has announced the smc PENTAX DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens. Designed exclusively for use with the PENTAX line of digital SLRs, this interchangeable lens offers fish-eye (180° diagonal angle of view at a focal length of 10mm) to super wide-angle performance in a single unit.

Mounted on the PENTAX *ist D series of digital SLRs, the new PENTAX lens will capture fish-eye imagery with a 180 degree angle of view and a focal length of 10mm as well as super wide-angle performance that allows photographer to make use of dramatic angles-of- view resulting from slight changes in focal length. This super wide-angle capability also will capture images with an expanded perspective including creative deformation of subjects and sharp pan focus that extends throughout the entire frame.

The image circle of this new lens will match the image recording area (23.5mm x 15.7mm) of the *ist D series to ensure precise optical performance ideally suited to the camera's digital imaging characteristics. The smc PENTAX DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF] lens design also features lightweight, compact dimensions compared with 35mm format, SLR interchangeable lenses with equivalent specifications.

The new lens will ship in January 2006 with an anticipated price of $579.95 US."

For what it is, the price isn't high.
post #35 of 54
Quote:

It's been getting better. It wasn't usable for me until 10.4.3 brought a much needed speed boost and ability to type without it going off searching on every key.

It still annoys me I can't command-tab to the results window. And not having a command-f for non spotlight indexed data is stupid. But it's now quite usable, even on bigger disks.

Add a boolean search and I'd be happier.

The Finder got quite a few fixes in 10.4 like it now updating if you change something in a terminal. It's still slow. It still hangs too often on remote access. It still has dumb ftp/dav support. It still never seems to remember window placements and settings. It's much nicer if you run the iridium theme to remove the metal. The dumb noises they added in 10.4 are annoying.

If they remove column view I'll be terribly annoyed though. That and sprung folders are to me the best ideas going.
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
It's been getting better. It wasn't usable for me until 10.4.3 brought a much needed speed boost and ability to type without it going off searching on every key.

It still annoys me I can't command-tab to the results window. And not having a command-f for non spotlight indexed data is stupid. But it's now quite usable, even on bigger disks.

Add a boolean search and I'd be happier.

The Finder got quite a few fixes in 10.4 like it now updating if you change something in a terminal. It's still slow. It still hangs too often on remote access. It still has dumb ftp/dav support. It still never seems to remember window placements and settings. It's much nicer if you run the iridium theme to remove the metal. The dumb noises they added in 10.4 are annoying.

If they remove column view I'll be terribly annoyed though. That and sprung folders are to me the best ideas going.

Spotlight controls almost every aspect of the search process now, and it can be frustrating.

I deal with lots of video and pic files. If I add one to a folder, and then type the name in the search box, more often than not, the little circle just keeps turning around. sometimes a beachball comes up for several seconds to a minute. If I then tab back to the original column in the folder, I can find it manually. This is definitely wrong. Sometimes it will find files - but not the one I searched on! Sometimes it will find the first thing I look for, but later it can't find anything. It's annoying that it won't wait until I've finished typing, because if it finds something, it won't continue after more letters or numbers are typed in, even though that damned circle is spinning around.

Not that all of this this is worse than before, but it is supposed to be better.
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by Gates_of_Hell
Its a good job you dont use Windowsotherwise, you could be in for a very long wait

Yep... I have used it daily for the past 12+ years. I am still waiting for Microsoft to fix the bugs in Winders.
post #38 of 54
Speaking of raw, does anyone know how it's implemented in OS X? I wonder if third parties could develop raw plug-ins to add support for new cameras.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally posted by wmf
Speaking of raw, does anyone know how it's implemented in OS X? I wonder if third parties could develop raw plug-ins to add support for new cameras.

I always thought that different camera manufacturers had different specs for RAW images, so nothing is actually compatible with their respective format until they choose to make it so.

I remember reading that Nikon had finally agreed to let Adobe take a peek at their RAW format so that Photoshop can recognize their RAW format without plug-ins from Nikon.

I'm pretty curious about this myself, as I want to start shooting just in RAW.
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #40 of 54
When will Apple fix the bug where icons don't snap to grid on the desktop properly? My 15 inch PB can only fit 32 icons on the desktop when it should be able to hold twice this number, because the columns are twice as far apart as they should be. I know lots of other people are having this problem too, and it is exremely annoying. The desktop is the most visible feature of the whole operating system. If they can't even fix this, what chance do they really have at selling people on OS X.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Spotlight, wireless, RAW enhancements due in Mac OS X 10.4.4