or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Question for the Brits

Question for the Brits

post #1 of 53
Is there a term/name for the paper hats English folks wear at Christmas? If so, what is it? I've always just called them "paper hats."
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 53
I'm not British, but I play an irrepressible know-it-all on the internets.

I've heard them called "cracker hats", or "Christmas cracker hats", owing to the fact they come in Christmas crackers, the firework cum wishbone that the Brits somehow made a Christmas tradition.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 53
Midwinter,

what type of hat is it? *snigger*

Is it like one of these ones:

http://www.partydomain.co.uk/d-commerce/page120.html

'Christmas cracker hats' comes to mind, although that suggests an exploding hat - could be fun at dinner time when the kids heads pop off.

'Christmas hats' is probably as close as I can think - the paper ones, cut out in the shape of crowns, to remind people of the visitation of the wise men, even if the wearer's behaviour has nothing in common. The Santa hat is something else (as are the people who wear them). The Christmas beanie
(complete with pom-poms) has been a non-virulent fad, although kids of all ages from 20 onwards seem to enjoy parading as red 'mooseketeers', wandering into the city centre wearing antlers. I'd warmly recommend you try out the mooseketeer hats - a pair of antlers can be very becoming on an American as well as a Brit
post #4 of 53
these ones:

post #5 of 53
Christmas crackers with crown hats must also be a tradition in Australia, because my Australian wife gets them for us to do at Christmas and Thanksgiving. You also get a little prize and joke with the hat.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #6 of 53
Midwinter, what's that pile of food on a plate in the picture?

Because it appears to be pancake BLTs, and if it is I need the recipe.
post #7 of 53
Hmmm! Definitely Christmas cracker hats

They're great for Christmas dinners - I just hope my cracker goes off properly this year.

Btw - very digital looking image. I miss proper photographs in this modern age....
post #8 of 53
And why are you serving small flashlights as an appetizer?
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
Midwinter, what's that pile of food on a plate in the picture?

Because it appears to be pancake BLTs, and if it is I need the recipe.

I hadn't noticed until just now, but I agree. It seems to be a giant pancake BLT.
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin
Hmmm! Definitely Christmas cracker hats

They're great for Christmas dinners - I just hope my cracker goes off properly this year.

Btw - very digital looking image. I miss proper photographs in this modern age....

First off...not my image. I just found it on the web in a search for "weird-assed English hats they wear during Christmas dinner, and for some bizarre reason don't seem to find it embarrassing or strange or funny looking, which is somehow refreshing and wonderful."

Second: there's a popper/cracker thing? potential explosions? I may have to get some of these this year. There's a shop in Salt Lake City that specializes in all things English...I may have to make a trip down to it.
post #11 of 53
No prob.s - digital images are everywhere - they look soooo antiseptic.

Christmas crackers are traditional crackers at Christmas dinners - kids love these! They require a helping hand to pull so it's all joint fun - when the cracker goes 'bang!', the contents are extruded.

Check out: http://www.marksandspencer.com/

this fine British store has a good range of luxury crackers - the hats come with it too. I like Marks & Spencer - their food range has got to be one of the best in the country
post #12 of 53
Addabox - the 'crackers' are a preliminary hors d'oeuvre to get into the Christmas dinner! If you have kids, it makes a great difference, compared to say, singing to Bing Crosby
post #13 of 53
Hold on.

*gasp*

You mean........in the States, you don't have Christmas Crackers???

How is that possible?

Those things are pancakes, but I can't say they're a traditional part of British Christmas. Mince Pies, Christmas Pudding, cranberry sauce, Yuletide Log, alcoholic punch are all standard fare. Pancakes are great though - Shrove Tuesday is a little while later, so I'm not sure of its relevance...

What do Americans eat during Christmas then? (Other than turkey)
post #14 of 53
Quote:

Babies. Lots and lots of babies.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Hold on.

*gasp*

You mean........in the States, you don't have Christmas Crackers???

How is that possible?

Those things are pancakes, but I can't say they're a traditional part of British Christmas. Mince Pies, Christmas Pudding, cranberry sauce, Yuletide Log, alcoholic punch are all standard fare. Pancakes are great though - Shrove Tuesday is a little while later, so I'm not sure of its relevance...

The blood and body of Christ? 8)

We eat the same stuff at christmas as thanksgiving - Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potatos mashed with pecans and marshmellows, green beans, gravy.

Some years we eat duck instead.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
The blood and body of Christ? 8)

We eat the same stuff at christmas as thanksgiving - Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potatos mashed with pecans and marshmellows, green beans, gravy.

My family gave up on all that a while back. For the past 10 years or so, we've had BBQ ribs, tenderloin, and crappie (a kind of bream fish).
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Babies. Lots and lots of babies.

Yikes. You guys are scary. What a way to manage birth control. I only ever eat jelly babies, and if I didn't get drunk, I'd do wine gums as well.

Quote:
The blood and body of Christ?

Come on - you can do better than just once a year!!

If you have the same stuff, and Thanksgiving is so close to Christmas - is it all leftovers?? (Ug - what a thought!)

Please please please!! How do I make sweet potatoes??? My girlfriend will go crackers if I manage to make anything other than mashed potatoes this year
post #18 of 53
Nothing celebrates the birth of our Lord and Savior like the Christmas Crappie.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Nothing celebrates the birth of our Lord and Savior like the Christmas Crappie.

Are you returning to the parental jail for Christmas too?

Hmmm. You're not orthodox Greek per chance? they celebrate Christmas on a different date. As does any other country using a non-Gregorian calendar.
post #20 of 53
Isn't this one of the wise men bearing gifts?

post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Isn't this one of the wise men bearing gifts?

Holy shit, somebody's on their game today!
post #22 of 53
Uh oh. Internet plus odd concept equals more than you wanted to know.

Behold, the crappie ornament:

Courtesy of (and it just had to be, didn't it?) the Christmas store at crappiestuff.com.
post #23 of 53
Purchased.
post #24 of 53
Excellent.
post #25 of 53
Quote:
How do I make sweet potatoes??? My girlfriend will go crackers if I manage to make anything other than mashed potatoes this year

Sweet Potatos are orange tubers, sometimes called Yams.

1. You bake them, I think it takes an hour or so.
2. throw away the peels, mash them, mix them with maple syrup, sugar or honey, and pecans, and put them in a glass baking pan about 60% full, and cover the top with solid marshmellows.
3. Bake until the marshmellows are brown and kind of liquid.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #26 of 53
Quote:

2. throw away the peels, mash them, mix them with maple syrup, sugar or honey, and pecans, and put them in a glass baking pan about 60% full, and cover the top with solid marshmellows.

Or more simply, they're mashed yams.
post #27 of 53
Quote:

Don't forget to toss in a little crappie. Makes them taste Christmasy.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
Or more simply, they're mashed yams.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...eetpotato.html

Sweet potatos are not the same speices as yams, though they
are similar.

Keep your krappy crapie out of my sweet potato...
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #29 of 53
Party Hats. They're called Party Hats.
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
Abhor the Stereotype, respect the Individual.
1.33Ghz 15" Powerbook: 80GB HD, 1GB RAM, OSX.4.7, Soundsticks II, 320GB LaCie FW800 EXT HD, iPod 20GB 4G
post #30 of 53
I second the above.
meh
meh
post #31 of 53
Quote:

I knew it. Nothing I did with potatoes (potatoe if quails are about) ever tasted remotely like sweet potatoes.

Now I know why...
post #32 of 53
Don't let these weirdos and their mangled creations anywhere near your kitchen Justin. Sweet potatoes or yams are just fine on their own, no need to add pecans and marshmellows.

Crappy for Christmas? At least go salmon man. Or Catfish.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath
Crappy for Christmas? At least go salmon man. Or Catfish.

Anyone who would suggest catfish over crappie has never had crappie.
post #34 of 53
I had Catfish in mind more as the typical down home Deep South fish since you seem to have a fondness for the ole Southern culture midwinter. What better way to celebrate the savior's birthday then a night of fried catfish, moonshine and reminiscing about Huey Long? OK, maybe not. As for the taste of the two, I've had both and don't really like either. But then again I haven't had either in years, probably since I was about 12 years old so maybe crapper (or catfish) is OK and it is just my memory or my taste or my non-fish friendly palate at the time. I'll take your word that crappie is better than catfish. As long as I get my Turkey then it's all good.
post #35 of 53
Quote:

Ham is the general tradition.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #36 of 53
Quote:
\tI had Catfish in mind more as the typical down home Deep South fish since you seem to have a fondness for the ole Southern culture midwinter

That sounds really delicious. One of my favourite American (South) writers, Walker Percy described how Louisiana residents suck the juices out of tiger prawns until the juices split. Just absolutely wonderful - admittedly I've not been able to convince any of my fellow Englishmen to eat tiger prawns in a 5* London restaurant. Instead all they do is sniff at shellfish.

Thanks for the heads up on sweet yams. I've had yam before and I couldn't go through with it. It was mushy and horribly pithy. I can't believe it's the same thing as sweet potatoes so I'm going to have to try some over the Christmas.

Quote:

Ham is the general tradition.

Dr Seuss comes to mind
post #37 of 53
Yuck! Who ever thought to put pecans and marshmellows in sweet potatoes? Turkey is overrated. The past few years I've been fixing Cornish hens and an obscenely large pork loin roast (excellent for leftover sanwhiches). All the basics stay, baked mac and cheese, green beans, collard greens, Coconut rice (my caribbean background), stuffing, cranberry sauce, potato salad, mixed green salad and deviled eggs. Oh yeah pies, cakes and spiked eggnog.
post #38 of 53
Oh, ya'll wanna get fancy with your Christmas menus?

Who among you can stand up to the terror of the turducken!

post #39 of 53
I'm so scared. Seriously.
post #40 of 53
I don't want to eat anything that has "turd" as the first four letters.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Question for the Brits