or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jobs wants 32-foot glass cube following Apple store lease

Jobs wants 32-foot glass cube following Apple store lease

post #1 of 34
The long-awaited deal for Apples sprawling subterranean store in the GM building was recently finalizedbut only after landlord Harry Macklowe promised Steve Jobs he could take his big $9 million glass cube with him at the end of the lease, reports New York Magazine.

According to the report, Jobs personally designed the 32-foot-by-32-foot hollow glass structure that will mark the stores entrance on the Fifth Avenue plaza. Over the past month, workers could be seen assembling the massive gemstone-esque structure, one narrow glass pane at a time.

Steve Jobs felt that he created the cube so he owned it, said Apple broker Robert Futterman, noting that Macklowe wanted it to stay put. At the eleventh hour, that was the biggest issue.

The report says that Macklowe aggressively wooed Jobs, flying out to California twice and offering the 24,000-square-foot retail space at well below market rent of $1,000 per square foot.

"At the end of the twenty-year lease, Jobs must replace the cube with a comparable structure before hauling it off."

The GM Building flagship Apple store is now slated to open next spring.

Rendering of 5th Ave. Apple retail store entrance.
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
24,000-square-foot retail space at well below market rent of $1,000 per square foot.

Is that $24 million per month or per year? Regardless, it seems like the $9 million glass cube is pretty insignificant compared to the rental cost - probably won't even be worth removing at the end of 20 years.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #3 of 34
How are they going to stop people from throwing a rock at it?
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by zenatek

I assume its tempered glass.

What does one do with 32x32x32 feet of glass?
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by salmonstk

Find a 1 inch by 1 inch place to stick an "Intel Inside" sticker on it...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #6 of 34
Commercial rents are X number of dollars per square foot per year, so that's $24 million per year for the Apple Store. $2M per month is pretty hefty, even for Midtown.

The glass doesn't have to be tempered. As long as it's thick and the edges are protected, it'll be fine, although laminated glass would be safer. What keeps people from throwing rocks at all the floor-to-ceiling picture windows all over Manhattan but especially common in Midtown? None of those are tempered, either. Mostly, it's the dearth of rocks in Manhattan. Plus the fact that it's tough to damage thick panes of glass. And security cameras.

I suppose Jobs needed something to replace the Jackling house on his Woodside lot.
post #7 of 34
Is there is a place where society has dissolved to the point where people throw rocks at architecture made of glass?

There are a lot of glass structures in New York that no one throws rocks at.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Mostly, it's the dearth of rocks in Manhattan.

Midtown Manhattan actually sits on giant slabs of granite. Which is the reason they are able to build so many skyscrapers in that area.

You can often see exposed parts of the granite in Central Park, Harlem, and Washington Heights.

But of course no one is going to pick one up and throw it at a glass building.
post #9 of 34
What's with Steve Jobs and cubes!? Y'know, there are OTHER Platonic solids. What's the matter with a nice icosahedron?
post #10 of 34
You know what they say about people who live in glass houses...er, structures...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 34
< insert random joke about female employees having to work under a glass ceiling >
post #12 of 34
Wait a minute - just exactly how can a 32' x 32' x 32' greenhouse cost $9 million? I think that apple is letting its success get to its head - this is like the $500 hammers that the military buys.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #13 of 34
I'm sure the 32 foot cube is more compicated than a simple greenhouse.

Large panes of glass are expensive to manufacture, transport, and install.
post #14 of 34
Is it just me or does this story make steve Jobs sound absolutly crazy? He's arguring over what has to be done with a giant glass cube! I love it.
post #15 of 34
May be Jobs wants to be buried in it when he dies! That is why he wants it back
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by salmonstk

Surely it's only 5 x 32x32 feet of glass ?

That makes it around $1700 per square foot, almost twice as much as the cost of the retail space per year... I'd wanna keep it at that price!
Daniel Tull
Daniel Tull
post #17 of 34
It's clearly an engineering marvel. Just wait til you see what Jobs creates once nanotechnology is sufficiently advanced to create diamond-strength transparent structures that are just fractions of an inch in thickness. The mind boggles.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
It's clearly an engineering marvel.

Was that pun intended?
post #19 of 34
I'm more interested in the "comparable structure".... in just 20 years of suspense, we'll get to see it!

I think the real answer re rocks, careening Mountain Dew Trucks, etc., is... insurance.
post #20 of 34
By the time the lease ends Steve will be in his 70s.

Does he intend to use this cube as his final resting place (similar to Lenin's mausoleum) in the middle of the Infinte Loop campus, so the unwashed masses can file past and gape in awe and wonder at his Steveness?
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Robrippin
< insert random joke about female employees having to work under a glass ceiling >

I can hear the chatter in the office/coatroom now...

Employee 1 "Did you tell the manager about the missing iPod accessories?"

Employee 2 "Yea, and she hit the glass ceiling!"
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by Sekio
Is it just me or does this story make steve Jobs sound absolutly crazy? He's arguring over what has to be done with a giant glass cube! I love it.

He is building an image for apple, I dare say he could care less what happens to the cube, he just doesnt want another store or company to use it, think of it like an archatextural pseudo trade mark.

He would probably be just as well if the owners promised to demolish it. and NOT build something just like it.
post #23 of 34
Damn you bommai and Gates_of_Hell for taking my jokes
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #24 of 34
The glass cube will house the ultimate reality distortion field!!

Or, a giant cool aid container!

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by zenatek

The same way they prevent people from writing a computer virus for the mac... pure love
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by a_greer
He is building an image for apple, I dare say he could care less what happens to the cube, he just doesnt want another store or company to use it, think of it like an archatextural pseudo trade mark.

He would probably be just as well if the owners promised to demolish it. and NOT build something just like it.

Wait, don't tell me, Apple's going to trade mark a cubed glass structure.

You haven't been to NYC lately. We have a bit more than 2x LA's population. and about 10x the number of police. That crime drop didn't happen by magic. First they hired thousands of new cops, expanding the police force from about 25,000 to somewhere in the low 40s at its height a few years ago. Then they computerized, i.e. moved policing into the 20th century-and are now moving into the 21st, with their high tech new urban surveillance center that opened this fall. Who's going to throw a rock when there's a cop on every block and a camera on every other lightpole?

Besides, this is Apple. They'll pobably have overhead drones buzzing around;you know, those mosquito-sized ones we've been hearing about for years, hooked up to programmed motion detectors. Any kind of overhead throwing position will trigger a dive bomb photographic attack (Mr Orwell, meet Mr Jobs).
post #27 of 34
Cool, I giant glass cube!
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
Wait a minute - just exactly how can a 32' x 32' x 32' greenhouse cost $9 million? I think that apple is letting its success get to its head - this is like the $500 hammers that the military buys.

The military does not by $500 hammers, they bought a $5 hammer and the other $495 went to the stealth bomber. So maybe the $9 million Cube is actually a $100K cube and the other $8.9 million when to something else yet to be seen.
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
What's with Steve Jobs and cubes!? Y'know, there are OTHER Platonic solids. What's the matter with a nice icosahedron?

Depending on your age you might remember the time when people walked around with Pyramids on their heads because the felt the shape channel energy. Well Jobs grew up during those times, so maybe the Cube is his pyramid and it channel energy to him. As someone pointed out it could be his Monument of his greatness when he dies. I could see Jobs as being a pharaoh and wanting to be buried under a huge stucture. I can see him turning into Howard Hughes and going nuts in his old age...
post #30 of 34
Maybe when this is done, Jobs will bring back the Cube?

I know it's a long shot but I can dream can't I?
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978

Structural glass is nothing to sneeze at if that rendering is what the final design will be. The "thin" slivers of glass is structural - acting as columns for the perimeter walls. I wonder if they'll use cable structure for beams? That's expensive. If they're using structural glass for the beams (clear spanning over 30'-0"), that'll be a pricey line item.

I'm guessing that there is a good chance that the glass panes are laminated, probably with some type of low-e coating (for energy conservation). Glass connectors will probably be high end, most likely custom. Another glazing option is to use ultra-clear glass (no or very low mineral tint in it), now THAT'S expensive.

Than factor in all the mechanical enviromental systems to heat / cool this thing. Figure on getting nice light fixtures. All the other finish materials and hardware and furniture / millwork. Figure in labor (at union rates) and design fees, other misc construction related fees...

Yeah, its not hard to see the budget soar. I don't know if Apple is a stickler with the budget or not, so there might not be any drastic *cough* value-engineering *cough* (cost cuttin) so maybe all the high ticket items got accepted.
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The military does not by $500 hammers, they bought a $5 hammer and the other $495 went to the stealth bomber.

Quote:
Any kind of overhead throwing position will trigger a dive bomb photographic attack

So Apple put millions in stealth diving photographic bomber hammers? Can I put my apps on it?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #33 of 34
Interesting resurrection of this thread. Who would imagine 5 years later after this news in 2005, they would make an even bigger and arguably more impressive glass structure in China.

Still, props to NYC. A fascinating city.
post #34 of 34
Twenty year lease?

Anyone actually think they won't be renewing said lease?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jobs wants 32-foot glass cube following Apple store lease