or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MSNBC.COM states No speed bumped Power Macs

MSNBC.COM states No speed bumped Power Macs

post #1 of 76
<a href="http://www.msnbc.com/news/681978.asp" target="_blank">MSNBC Article</a>

[quote] The Cupertino, Calif.-based computer maker had been rumored to be planning a new Power Mac professional system with Power G4 Apollo processors in excess of 1GHz. But sources close to Apple and the companys chip supplier, Motorola, said the Apollo processors would not be available until sometime later in the first half of the year. <hr></blockquote>
I'm making plastics right now!
post #2 of 76
Sounds like someone trying to downplay Macworld to me.
post #3 of 76
I WANT TO BELIEVE, I REALLY DO!

I even sold my 867. I am just feeling that there will be no Power Mac news.
post #4 of 76
We don't need Apollos to get to 1 GHz. The current chips will do it on the nextgen fab tech. HIPS6 or 7 or whatever on SOI.

SdC
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
My signature irritates people. However, my cat can still jump a watermelon, and the Apollo is the next chip coming to the Powermac line. Although, at this point, I'd believe that Cyrix is the next...
post #5 of 76
I believe we may not see Apollo Power Macs, but we will still see 1 GHz G4s.
post #6 of 76
I really hope this is not true. I've got the money to finally get a new machine on Monday, and if I've been waiting these past few weeks for what they've already got I'll be irked to say the least.
post #7 of 76
I'd be really surprised if the the Powermacs didnt even make an apperance... I think that Steve would be overrun by angry pro-users shortly after the show.
I'm not living... I'm just killing time.
I'm not living... I'm just killing time.
post #8 of 76
Well if true, and there are no new PowerMacs, I sure hope the new iMac or something is worth all the hype. One thing though, if the Apollo is not even ready what does that say for the G5? :eek:
post #9 of 76
Damn.
post #10 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:
<strong>We don't need Apollos to get to 1 GHz. The current chips will do it on the nextgen fab tech. HIPS6 or 7 or whatever on SOI.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uhm? Thats the Apollo.. No big redesign.. Just better fab tech.
post #11 of 76
Apollos won't be at MWSF because they'll be at MWNY in the Powerbooks.
G5s will be in the Powermacs on Monday

(I'm setting myself up for a big let down, aint I?)
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #12 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by blabla:
<strong>

Uhm? Thats the Apollo.. No big redesign.. Just better fab tech.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, if that's true, then....fvck.

I'm still going with faster G4's up to a GHz, and DDRRAM, anyway.

(SdC is a little more crestfallen than a minute ago)

SdC

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
post #13 of 76
The story IS coming out of MSNBC........
post #14 of 76
What about these

Sub-GHz Apollo for PowerBook

and then....

GHz + G5 for PowerMac

??
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #15 of 76
[quote]

The familiar iMac with its 15-inch cathode-ray tube (CRT) monitor also is not expected to disappear, but instead is expected to be updated somewhat and to remain the companys entry-level machine.

<hr></blockquote>

I think they are full of it. What do you expect from something Microsoft controls?

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
Stuck in an infinite loop waiting for an Apple PDA...

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #16 of 76
No speed bumped PowerMacs, yeah right, that's be an industry first...and last.

G-News
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #17 of 76
Maybe it's true. Apple traditionally has not crammed too many updates into a single MacWorld. If they are introducing a new iMac, and a new mystery device, then this would be enough for an expo.

I bet the Powermacs don't get updated until WWDC, maybe even MWNY. LOL, it would be so typical of Apple....Wintels are over 2 GHz and Powermacs will be stuck under 1 GHz for a year.

Like someone else already noted, if the Apollo isn't ready, then what does that say about the G5?

Well since they are on parallel development tracks, I suppose the G5 might be ready before the Apollo. But with the look of things lately, Motorola has nothing new to offer Apple. Same old sh!t...Job must be pissed as hell.

I bet all the hype over this new product is intended to divert attention away from how pathetic the CPU situation is at Apple.
post #18 of 76
Please. This site is run by NBC News, not Bill Gates. I doubt Gates has the time or cares at all about having a story put up on MSNBC.com stating there will be no Powermac speed bump. That would do nothing for MS.

Maybe Jobs plans on pulling a fast one like with the 500MHz debacle and the 667 & 733 debacle. On both occasions, Jobs announced a machine before it was even qualified for production.
post #19 of 76
Count me in the "Consider the source" crowd.

I mean good Mac news from MSNbc ???? That's like asking for a World Class Steak in a Seafood house.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #20 of 76
Seybold '99 anyone?
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #21 of 76
MSNBC any one???
post #22 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by JLL:
<strong>Seybold '99 anyone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am thinking we may have a G3 to G4 situation here except it's G4 to G5.
post #23 of 76
Look....I'm sure that nobody from a Microsoft company has any contacts deep enough inside Apple to have the slightest f*cking clue what they're planning to release at MWNY. Anyone who thinks there will be no PowerMac updates is completely nutz considering how much Apple is hyping.

-S
post #24 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
<strong>Look....I'm sure that nobody from a Microsoft company has any contacts deep enough inside Apple to have the slightest f*cking clue what they're planning to release at MWNY. Anyone who thinks there will be no PowerMac updates is completely nutz considering how much Apple is hyping.

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

And I am sure that neither does cNet, BusinessWeek, CNN, Forbes...yet we are all debating their stories as well regarding iMacs, iBooks, etc.
post #25 of 76
That's the exact same article from ZDNet. and we all know how much we trust them.
post #26 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:
<strong>Look....I'm sure that nobody from a Microsoft company has any contacts deep enough inside Apple to have the slightest f*cking clue what they're planning to release at MWNY. Anyone who thinks there will be no PowerMac updates is completely nutz considering how much Apple is hyping.

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not an MSNBC article - it's from CNet (not quite sure if that's better though).
JLL

JLL

post #27 of 76
[quote] Maybe Jobs plans on pulling a fast one like with the 500MHz debacle and the 667 & 733 debacle.<hr></blockquote>

There was no 7450 G4 "debacle". They shipped slightly before Jobs said they would. Nobody got screwed.
post #28 of 76
You folks are all sounding like it's some MS conspiracy, but what Apple needs right now is some lowered expectations about this MacWorld. These articles are doing just that. Apple's homepage is the problem.
post #29 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:
<strong>

There was no 7450 G4 "debacle". They shipped slightly before Jobs said they would. Nobody got screwed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Motoman himself said that the 667 & 733's were not qualified when Jobs announced them and the 733 shipped later than what Jobs said and the 667 barely shipped and then was cancelled.
post #30 of 76
Microsoft is (or was) invested in C|Net. Billy even toured the studios a few years back and did not like what he saw... lots and lots of Macs around the place. Hmmmm...

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>

apple.otaku

apple.otaku
post #31 of 76
The other possibility is that Apple has been stockpiling faster chips, and is going to use the stockpile to release faster chips.

Or that Motorola has increased it's yields to higher levels.

I don't think we're out of the 1 GHz biz, yet.

SdC
post #32 of 76
Dude, that story is from c|net, from this morning.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

if they were right could this mean that Apple has seen the writing on the wall and has decided to hold off on the PM until the G5?

If so, those who bought quicksilvers should feel pretty good about their purchase.
post #33 of 76
this rumor is false.

if Apple had no plans of updating the Powermacs they would have slashed prices by now.
post #34 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:
<strong>I bet the Powermacs don't get updated until WWDC, maybe even MWNY. LOL, it would be so typical of Apple.... ...Job must be pissed as hell.

I bet all the hype over this new product is intended to divert attention away from how pathetic the CPU situation is at Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

JYD - Jobs is pissed while the Apple web site is hyping more than any other MW... That makes sense.
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
-JD
-- "If Apple wasn't so greedy, they would build G6's and give them away!"
post #35 of 76
It's not the same as the 500 MHz debacle. People NEVER got their 500 MHz powermacs during that fiasco.

Nobody got screwed with the 7450 G4 preannouncement. Jobs said they wouldn't ship until March, and that's when they shipped. I remember them shipping before Jobs said they would, but you could be right that they were a bit late, I don't honestly remember all that well. But if they were late, it was only by a week or two. That's not a very big deal, really. Hardly a "debacle".

And what does Motoman know? If he knows so much why isn't he here posting about it?
post #36 of 76
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>this rumor is false.

if Apple had no plans of updating the Powermacs they would have slashed prices by now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't it usually the other way around? Slash prices if new harware coming?
JLL

JLL

post #37 of 76
Have no idea where Motoman is? Where is Eskimo?

Anyway, Motoman worked for Mot and was right on many many times.
post #38 of 76
I can't see them not updating the Power Macs unless they'll have a special event to introduce them in late January-early Feb.
post #39 of 76
I'm not convinced of the MSNBC report. The stock is way down on nearly everything at Apple. I think we'll see revisions across the entire line in some way or another. Maybe even TiBooks! And I don't think a G5 is out of the question.
post #40 of 76
The G4 733s that were late(r) were the SuperDrive equipped ones; it was the lack of SuperDrives that pushed back the ship dates.

Apple announced 733mhz/CD-RW G4s for $2999 on 03/08/01 (see <a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/mar/08pmg4.html" target="_blank">press release</a>). Soon after, Apple discontinued the 667 because more were buying the dual-533s, and there were less 667s since the yields of the 733s were better than expected.
-------------
On topic:

If the above is true--perhaps all will be dual with updated guts (DDR, faster bus, yadda, yadda).

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › MSNBC.COM states No speed bumped Power Macs