or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › iMac G4 hard disk replacement

iMac G4 hard disk replacement

post #1 of 2
I think the hard disk in my iMac G4 (original 800MHz) is going to die soon: I'm getting occasional clicking noises that have always been there when waking from sleep but it's happening far more frequently.

How easy would it be to buy a new hard disk and get it installed? I need a new Mac anyway to be honest but I might need an interim fix.

Any suggestions welcome!
post #2 of 2
I had the SuperDrive in my iMac G4 1ghz go out, luckily I have Apple Care, and a local rep was able to repace the drive for no charge. As for doing it yourself, the rep made a house call to replace the drive, so I was able to watch him do it. The HD sits just above the ROM in the same enclosure, so it would probably be a similar operation. Took him about 45 minutes to physically replace the drive, most of that getting the iMac apart and back together again!

Let me just say that the insides of an iMac G4 are intimidating to say the least.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › iMac G4 hard disk replacement