or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Phrases You Always Mis-Hear?

Phrases You Always Mis-Hear?

post #1 of 18
Yesterday, while driving across town, I heard an ad on the radio for freecreditreport.com.

I heard "Freak read it, report!"

I blame Michael Stipe for this, but I always hear "six of one, a half dozen the other" as "six and one half, a dozen the other."

How about you?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 18
I was in a bar last weekend and couldn't figure out what some guy meant when he kept saying "Goat head half-ant otter beard", but I decided to go ahead and had another beer and not worry about it.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #3 of 18
Southern expressions that I couldn't get at first when I first moved down here:

"Waggarauddo" -> Walker Auto Parts
"Libbity FaMeega" -> Liberty Farm and Garden

Also, for some strange reason as a child I always though that
"Louie, Louie, Oh, Oh, we gotta go" from the song was something about the arcade game "omega race" - although now I have no idea how I made the connection.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #4 of 18
"Hi. I'm a talking head stand."

Too many David Byrne addicts:

(Hi - I'm a Talking Heads fan)
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin

Too many David Byrne addicts:

(Hi - I'm a Talking Heads fan)

"Hi - I'm a psycho killer"

or..

"Hi - It's a site I'd kill for".
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
post #6 of 18
'Scuse Me while I Kiss This Guy - The Archive of Misheard Song Lyrics
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #7 of 18
Phrases I always mis-hear ???

ANYTHING my wife says.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #8 of 18
Mom says "take out the trash"
I hear "stay seated on your ass"

lol
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #9 of 18
Well, there is this ad that comes on the radio several times any given morning for a shipping company. The voice is some youngish kid (or sounds like to my almost-40-year-old ears) who says they "recycle styrofoam peanuts." Only, it doesn't sound like "peanuts."
The Mom
The Mom
post #10 of 18
"for all intents and purposes"

==> "for all intensive purposes"
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by dionx
"for all intents and purposes"

==> "for all intensive purposes"

You shouldn't take it for granite that that's what it always is.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
You shouldn't take it for granite that that's what it always is.

I always thought taking things for granite was your best bed.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by dmz
I always thought taking things for granite was your best bed.

No. A Diamond sore is a girl's best friend.
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
No. A Diamond sore is a girl's best friend.

You got me -- I'd post more misheard phrases, but I've been wanton in my study of them.

post #15 of 18
Knowing midwinter, I bet his purposes often are, in fact, intensive. Mine, on the other hand, are usually lacksadaisical.
post #16 of 18
"Would you like super-salad with your dinner?"
post #17 of 18
That reminds me of the joke about the world traveler who, coming back to his country after a long trip, was asked by a customs official: "Do you intend to overthrow the government through force or violence?" The tired traveler thought for a moment and then said: "Uh, force."
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally posted by BRussell
That reminds me of the joke about the world traveler who, coming back to his country after a long trip, was asked by a customs official: "Do you intend to overthrow the government through force or violence?" The tired traveler thought for a moment and then said: "Uh, force."

When we were leaving London this summer, the baggage check guy asked me "Is there anything in your back that might appear to be a weapon?" And I, being tired and stupid, said "Um, shouldn't be."

I mean, how the hell am I supposed to know how things in my bag might appear to someone else?

To add another one: isn't there a story about how the Led Zeppelin song D'yer Maker is the punchline of a joke? That it's "Did you make her?"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Phrases You Always Mis-Hear?