or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel touts power of upcoming Yonah laptop chip
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel touts power of upcoming Yonah laptop chip

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
Intel Corp. said on Tuesday its next-generation platform for laptop computers will use 25 percent less power while boosting performance, helping it stay on top of the fast-growing market, Reuters reports.

The overhaul of the company's Centrino technology, code-named "Napa," comes as preps for a boost from laptop sales, which are growing faster than the overall computer market.

At the heart of Napa is Intel's new Yonah microprocessor, which will make its debut in early January as the first mobile chip to sport dual cores. It reportedly includes the latest technology that etches circuitry more than 100 times thinner than a human hair.

The napa platform and Yonah processor will use 28-percent less power while performing 68 percent better than its predecessor, Keith Kressin, Intel's marketing chief for mobile platforms, told reporters.

"The twin cores mean users can perform several tasks at the same time," said Reuters. "For instance, one core could update a spreadsheet while the other displays a graphics-heavy presentation without slowing down."

Yonah will also do its part to extend battery life beyond the 5-hour mark, improve wireless bandwidth, and help cut the size of notebooks by 30-percent, according to eWeek

Sources have previously said that Apple aims to be one of the first computer makers to introduce systems based on Intel's new dual-core chips, with the strong possibility of the first Intel Mac laptop making its debut during the second week of January.
post #2 of 145
Where do I sign up?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #3 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleInsider
The napa platform and Yonah processor will use 28-percent less power while performing 68 percent better than its predecessor

What is the predecessor, Celeron? How does the G4 compare to the predecessor?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #4 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by e1618978
What is the predecessor, Celeron? How does the G4 compare to the predecessor?

Pentium M (Dothan/Sonoma/XD).
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
'L'enfer, c'est les autres' - JPS
Reply
post #5 of 145
I'm gonna cop two right off the bat! One to keep and the other to sell on eBay for a 30% markup so I can make some of my money back!
post #6 of 145
For the sake of my bank account, I hope they really, really suck.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #7 of 145
No dont say that! They have put out plenty of sucky powerbooks in the last 2 years... no more! NO MORE!
post #8 of 145
If Apple puts out a paper thin 12" and a 15" workhorse I AM DOOMED.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
Reply
post #9 of 145
I am putting aside money now to get a new Powerbook in January if it uses Yonah. My ailing Powerbook G4 1GHz is starting to show its age.

Hoorray
post #10 of 145
I see the beginning of a Intel RDF ...surely after Intels' bad run recently, you'd want to see how they actually perform out in the wild before getting too exuberant.
human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on
which we hammer out tunes to make bears
dance when we long to move the stars to
pity.
Reply
human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on
which we hammer out tunes to make bears
dance when we long to move the stars to
pity.
Reply
post #11 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by a j stev
I see the beginning of a Intel RDF ...surely after Intels' bad run recently, you'd want to see how they actually perform out in the wild before getting too exuberant.

One thing's for sure though, they'll run better than the G4s we have now...even if they don't perform 50% faster than the current Pentium M chips. And I think that's all we want.

And AMD doesn't produce laptop chips (at least not the ones that would allow Apple to produce paper thin laptops.)

RDF or no RDF, the move to Intel was a good one.
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by a j stev
I see the beginning of a Intel RDF ...surely after Intels' bad run recently, you'd want to see how they actually perform out in the wild before getting too exuberant.

It's Intel's desktop line that is struggling. The Centrino platformization has been wonderful for Intel.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
And AMD doesn't produce laptop chips (at least not the ones that would allow Apple to produce paper thin laptops.)

Well, technically, there's the Turion...
post #14 of 145
I have a 15" PB, 24 months old, and the battery might last me 1.5 hours on a good day with the screen brightness turned way down. 5 hours would be pretty amazing, although I remain skeptical.
post #15 of 145
the 65W dualcore yonah was tested by anandtech. for 65W or so it's not bad, in the class of pentium Ds and AthlonX2s (though of course not the top of that class). 65nm also has some advantages. looks like apple could just pull this off -- dualcore yonah powerbook macintel and singlecore yonah ibook macintel for january 2006...

anandtech linky here:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2627

edit: oops, i meant dualcore yonah that anandtech tested was running 92W idle and 102W load. so on a mobile platform i guess it could still be just intel RDF, but we'll find out soon enough, especially with all you bloody guineapigs out there dying to get your hands on the first ones....
post #16 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
the 65W dualcore yonah was tested by anandtech. for 65W or so it's not bad, in the class of pentium Ds and AthlonX2s (though of course not the top of that class). 65nm also has some advantages. looks like apple could just pull this off -- dualcore yonah powerbook macintel and singlecore yonah ibook macintel for january 2006...

anandtech linky here:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2627

edit: oops, i meant dualcore yonah that anandtech tested was running 92W idle and 102W load. so on a mobile platform i guess it could still be just intel RDF, but we'll find out soon enough, especially with all you bloody guineapigs out there dying to get your hands on the first ones....

The Anandtech article uses a desktop motherboard with a desktop graphics card and components so isn't any guideline to mobile power usage. Yonah + Napa is really just going to push Intel ahead further in mobile computing.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #17 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex3917
I have a 15" PB, 24 months old, and the battery might last me 1.5 hours on a good day with the screen brightness turned way down. 5 hours would be pretty amazing, although I remain skeptical.

Um, newsflash, batteries degrade. The battery life of a 2-years-old laptop hardly counts. Your capacity has probably drained by at least a third, if not 50%.
post #18 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
edit: oops, i meant dualcore yonah that anandtech tested was running 92W idle and 102W load. so on a mobile platform i guess it could still be just intel RDF, but we'll find out soon enough, especially with all you bloody guineapigs out there dying to get your hands on the first ones....

Anandtech was testing total system power draw, using a desktop power supply, motherboard, and graphics card, not CPU power draw. The Yonahs themselves are said to average a few Watts under normal laptop usage. In fact, I would be surprised if the CPU was the biggest power draw on your typical Yonah laptop... a lot of the battery life is going to depend on the engineering surrounding the other components.
post #19 of 145
ok. cool. thanks for clarifying. anyway, the thing is, and my point was, that the anandtech article is the only test we have with regards to yonah, and hence it was worth mentioning in regards to this appleinsider article.

okay, now let's say we ignore the components and power draw mentioned in the article, and assume the dualcore yonah cpu they tested is very similar to the model to be used in laptops. unless anand did some major overclocking or fiddled a lot with the voltage, etc, the cpu tests show yonah as a mobile chip to be really, quite impressive.

now of course then we take our pinch of salt, considering, what model of yonah will be in apple laptops, what components surrounding it, what sort of battery life etc... all intriguing in any case.
post #20 of 145
Why do some think that if the processor for the 15 in. is ready, that the 17" would not be untill later. Don't they use the same processor?
A new fan of FileMaker...
Reply
A new fan of FileMaker...
Reply
post #21 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by pbaker05
Why do some think that if the processor for the 15 in. is ready, that the 17" would not be untill later. Don't they use the same processor?

Yes, they do. This is the first time I've heard this idea, however.
post #22 of 145
MacNN pointed out a fascinating fact... Apple has a bunch of developer videos on the devleoper site:
http://developer.apple.com/transition/index.html

In the video "An Introduction to Universal Binaries" posted on 13-Dec-2005, 1 minute and 35 minutes into the video the speaker says "The Universal Programming Guidelines is your best friend for the next couple of weeks." Kind of a vague statement, but doesn't it strongly hint at a verification of the January Intel release?
post #23 of 145
ready to drop serious cash come the end of january.


i'm going all out this time.


i've waited long enough,


i deserve it.
post #24 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
MacNN pointed out a fascinating fact... Apple has a bunch of developer videos on the devleoper site:
http://developer.apple.com/transition/index.html

In the video "An Introduction to Universal Binaries" posted on 13-Dec-2005, 1 minute and 35 minutes into the video the speaker says "The Universal Programming Guidelines is your best friend for the next couple of weeks." Kind of a vague statement, but doesn't it strongly hint at a verification of the January Intel release?

I dont think hes speaking in a date-sensitive context, but rather speaking in a project timeline sensitive context, ie "These will be your best friend whilst you tweak your code for a universal binary over the next weeks"
post #25 of 145


Yeah, the Yonah in a Mac IS a very good thing, major improvement over the G4 SlowestBook!

Thanks sunilraman for the Anandtech article, I found it somewhat interesting (by that I mean that nothing much has changed WRT using a Pentium M for superior B-life versus using an AMD CPU for superior FP performance). I wonder how the dual core Turion (due 1st QTR '06) will compare to the Yonah, in terms of both FP and B-life (sorry Telomar, but IMHO if B-life is all important (which may be the case for most people) then Yonah is clearly the way to go, but if FP is all important (in my case) than Turion is clearly the way to go)? Oh, and don't forget that Turion IS 64-bit versus the 32-bit Yonah? So having said that, could someone wake this RVW when there is a MacTel that has an integrated memory controller AND a dual core 64-bit CPU, I do believe that then, and only then, will I even consider a MacTel lappy! These CPU wars ARE mighty interesting, what with IBM still being in the shadows with AMD and all!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #26 of 145
If floating point calcs are all important I'd be buying a desktop and have a separate laptop. That's me though. I'm not a big fan of luggables. For the AMD watchers though.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #27 of 145
HERE COMES THE HAMMER...................... 8)
post #28 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by Booga
MacNN pointed out a fascinating fact... Apple has a bunch of developer videos on the devleoper site:
http://developer.apple.com/transition/index.html

In the video "An Introduction to Universal Binaries" posted on 13-Dec-2005, 1 minute and 35 minutes into the video the speaker says "The Universal Programming Guidelines is your best friend for the next couple of weeks." Kind of a vague statement, but doesn't it strongly hint at a verification of the January Intel release?

Nope. It's just that it'll take you a couple of weeks to get acclimatised to the Dev Kit and that's what you'll be reading for the first couple of weeks transitioning your software.
post #29 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Um, newsflash, batteries degrade. The battery life of a 2-years-old laptop hardly counts. Your capacity has probably drained by at least a third, if not 50%.


You got to it already. There are better batteries out there than the ones Apple offers.
post #30 of 145
25% less power usage, that would be one core compared to the Pentium M processor right? So it still uses 50% more CPU compared to a single processor.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #31 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
25% less power usage, that would be one core compared to the Pentium M processor right? So it still uses 50% more CPU compared to a single processor.

Yes, you are correct.

I had posted that anandtech article before in the Intel for January thread, and I remember the same issues about power coming up.

As was mentioned by Booga, that was total system power.

This article, while not tecnical like the Anandtech one is, does give the power figure. As can be seen, it's pretty low. Much lower than the power used by the 7447a, under the same conditions of use.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1901460,00.asp

EDIT: Just remembered this one. It's a critique of the Anand article by ARs "Hannibal" Who is a cpu arcitecture specialist:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051201-5662.html

I'll add others if I find something relevant.
post #32 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
This article, while not tecnical like the Anandtech one is, does give the power figure. As can be seen, it's pretty low. Much lower than the power used by the 7447a, under the same conditions of use.

To me, one of the most fascinating ways that the Yonah saves power is by being faster. According to Intel, given the excellent sleep states that Yonah supports, it's often more power efficient to go all-out on a problem for a very short period, then go back to sleep instead of operating at slow/low power for longer. (Kind of like the way a traditional internal combustion engine actually gets its best acceleration efficiency with a wide-open throttle.)
post #33 of 145
Here's an interesting one. Not directly related, but partly so. Look to the comments about a handhelp computer.

Scroll past the article about the XBox, unless you're interested, of course.

http://www.mdronline.com/watch/watch...105&on=1#item2

I wish I could link to some of the paid articles (I subscribe), but I've tried that and it doesn't work.
post #34 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
There are better batteries out there than the ones Apple offers.

Yes, but they're the same basic technology, so even they will hardly have more than 75% capacity left after 2 years of use.
post #35 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
Yes, but they're the same basic technology, so even they will hardly have more than 75% capacity left after 2 years of use.

That's true, but they offer more at the start. More Amp hours, so you still end up with more.

It's like the iPod battery makers. They offer more Amp hours as well.
post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
Nope. It's just that it'll take you a couple of weeks to get acclimatised to the Dev Kit and that's what you'll be reading for the first couple of weeks transitioning your software.

Yep, I'd say the "new couple weeks" refers to the transition time after you've watched that video, not the time from when it was posted (13-Dec-2005).
post #37 of 145
coconutBattery is handy for checking and saving a history of battery capacity.
post #38 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch
25% less power usage, that would be one core compared to the Pentium M processor right? So it still uses 50% more CPU compared to a single processor.

Not actually 50%... Closer to 30%.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
Reply
post #39 of 145
Quote:
Originally posted by Telomar
Not actually 50%... Closer to 30%.

Well, if it's 75% for each core, and we add two cores together, that's 150%

Unless you're saying that two cores don't scale in a linear fashion regarding power usage. Is that so?
post #40 of 145
most of the time, while "on the go", one CPU will be more than enough...
and a dual core does not use two times the power of a single core! there are a lot of stuffs shared by the two core...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Intel touts power of upcoming Yonah laptop chip