or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › HBO wants to put the Sopranos on your iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HBO wants to put the Sopranos on your iPod

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Time Warner Inc.'s HBO cable network hopes to make a deal at some point with Apple Computer to deliver programming to the video iPod, the network's chief executive said on Thursday.

"I'm very excited by the video iPod," said Chris Albrecht during a press event at HBO's offices. "At some point, I think we would have some arrangement with them."

Albrecht's comments came as HBO and Cingular Wireless jointly announced a multiyear exclusive deal, where HBO will beam clips from its daily diet of programming -- include hit television shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Sopranos -- to Cingular mobile phones.

HBO has also reportedly agreed to send Cingular customers exclusive clips of future hit shows.

Apple's iTunes music and video store offers customers the option of purchasing digital copies of some hit television series for $1.99 each. The store currently features shows from television networks ABC and NBC.
post #2 of 29
I hope Curb comes to iTunes. Man, that show is funny.
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
Reply
I always have the right answers; you just sometimes ask the wrong questions.
Reply
post #3 of 29
don't forget to pester them networks to open up to other countries too. damn licensing....
post #4 of 29
But what does exclusive really mean?

If it just refers to phone networks, fine. But it didn't actually say.

And if they did a deal with Apple, would that be exclusive to the iPod rather than to any other portable video players?

That's what we need to know.
post #5 of 29
HBO would be a real coup for iTunes. After HBO everyone else will fall in line.

Sounds as though the exclusive deal with Cingular would be for clips of shows yet to broadcast in the future.

A deal with Apple would be for shows that have already broadcast.
post #6 of 29
HELL YES...HELL YES

New theme

"Woke up this morning
and got yourself a 'pod"
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #7 of 29
The other part of it too.

For much of the bellyaching about resolution and DRM, Apple is obviously doing something right. They are doing what no one else was able to do. Content providers are interested and becoming confident enough to talk and sign with iTunes.

Once everyone can see this as a working business model that makes money for the content providers. Then they can begin to negotiate higher resolutions, allowing limited burning on DVD's and so on.
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
The other part of it too.

For much of the bellyaching about resolution and DRM, Apple is obviously doing something right. They are doing what no one else was able to do. Content providers are interested and becoming confident enough to talk and sign with iTunes.

Once everyone can see this as a working business model that makes money for the content providers. Then they can begin to negotiate higher resolutions, allowing limited burning on DVD's and so on.

Are current video-enabked iPods capable of being firmware upgraded to run higher res. or does that require upgraded hardware. I know the screen is obviously set, but output is important and viewing on Macs, too.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGregor
Are current video-enabked iPods capable of being firmware upgraded to run higher res. or does that require upgraded hardware. I know the screen is obviously set, but output is important and viewing on Macs, too.

Well, that's an interesting question.

I say that because it will run higher rez files, but of course, can only show them at its native screen rez.

I'm talking about the capability of running 480 x 480 MPEG 4 files. Now, those files don't have to be 480 x 480. Any combination that will result in the same number of pixels will be fine. 640 x 360 would be an example. The iPod changes the rez on the fly to view it.

But it has to be in the proper file format for the iPod to use.

The limitation is cpu bound.
post #10 of 29
We have people with bluetooth headsets who look like crazy people talking to themselves.

Then I thought people on airplanes watching hard R-rated movies on their laptops was innappropriate.

Now we get people sitting on the subway watching the Sopranos on their mobile...
"F** you! You F***n m*******g c*******r! You stupid #*!@#$ @$%%!@#"
post #11 of 29
Great,more attempts to get me to spend money on media that I can do only one thing with, play on my Mac. Hey, how about letting me burn it to DVD???

Or, i could just get HBO, TV everything, copy it to my mac, burn to DVD, and keep for good.
post #12 of 29
When the hell is Canada gonna get these tv shows? Open the market internationally apple! And build more than 1 apple store here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #13 of 29
The U.S. networks cannot, as yet, open up their shows internationally on iTMS but HBO probably could. And it would be a major financial bonanza for them
MS: loving the darkness; cursing the candles
Reply
MS: loving the darkness; cursing the candles
Reply
post #14 of 29
Well right now only ABC and NBC are signed on to itunes and we have both those stations on basic cable I don't see what could be stopping them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
Well right now only ABC and NBC are signed on to itunes and we have both those stations on basic cable I don't see what could be stopping them.

Money. Always money. Actors contracts, advertizing agreements, profit sharing between local stations and the network. I could go on from there.

Do you think that Apple doesn't WANT to sell to everyone across the world?

If Job's could snap his fingers, and all of a sudden, every file that he wants to sell became available, and everywhere around the world contracts were settled, he would have them up in a flash.
post #16 of 29
Badda Bing!
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Unicron
We have people with bluetooth headsets who look like crazy people talking to themselves.

Then I thought people on airplanes watching hard R-rated movies on their laptops was innappropriate.

Now we get people sitting on the subway watching the Sopranos on their mobile...
"F** you! You F***n m*******g c*******r! You stupid #*!@#$ @$%%!@#"

As long as people use headphones, why do you care what they're listening or watching? It isn't like we have holographic displays in mobile devices yet - if you see the picture, practically always you are trying to.
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
When the hell is Canada gonna get these tv shows? Open the market internationally apple! And build more than 1 apple store here!

seriously, the blame lies at home. during my short stint working with apple canada, in the days when everyone had an online apple store EXCEPT canada, everyone blamed apple. it's not apple's fault. canada, in its effort to keep from being utterly absorbed by the u.s. culture, has more import/export laws, rules and regulations as they apply to the u.s. than you can shake a stick at. for example, the online apple store? canada has a big problem with any company selling online to canadians from within canada without being 51% canadian-owned. i never got a clear answer why this was (i mean, you can buy from everywhere else, it seems, and just have it shipped... but canada is different somehow.) i'm not even sure how the heck apple got around this (or if they simply sell to canada and absorb whatever import/export tariffs that are applied through the cost markup. i am betting this is also why the itunes music store canada took such a long time to start up too. plus, there are issues with canada's version of the fcc (remember the 33% rule? where viewable content is supposed to be 33% canadian? i am guessing that has to fit in with the plan too).

you would think acanada would be easy-peasy, but it's not. heck, they just finally overturned that whole "pre-tax cd-r's and ipods because we know you all are thieving thieves, you thieves" tax.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #19 of 29
Yeah, now all we need is Curb, Ali G, and Sex and the City. Oh shit...did I say that out loud. Yeah, I watch it with my girlfriend all the time. AND I swear Carrie Bradshaw she eats so much but it's obvious Sara Jessica Parker works out, and Miranda, always working out, it's obvious she doesn't! UGH and then what Carrie wears sometimes! AND Miranda! Of course Charlotte always looks good and....yeah, I'm actually gay. I'm a married gay man.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #20 of 29
i'd like episodes of arrested development on the store for download. fox may be less likely to cancel good shows if they're bringing in alternate value like that. then again, arrested development is one of those shows that i think benefits from dvd sets moreso than episodic tv. sure, there are situations that create the comedy, but the writers and ron howard set up jokes for WEEKS before they deliver the punchline. hell, my wife and i will laugh out loud at something and we'll note how they started that joke a MONTH ago. that's tough to follow on tv, but the commercial-less dvds are great.

ah well, that's probably just me, though.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #21 of 29
Arrested Development is *the* funniest show on television. I just Fox would give it a chance. Seinfeld took about 4 seasons to take off. You would think Fox would know that a show needs some time. But I agree with rok about the DVDs, I'll hear punchlines from month old jokes regularly. It's really a show that needs to be on HBO.
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
"Humankind -- despite its artistic pretensions, its sophistication, and its many accomplishments -- owes its existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains."
Reply
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by theapplegenius
Arrested Development is *the* funniest show on television. I just Fox would give it a chance. Seinfeld took about 4 seasons to take off. You would think Fox would know that a show needs some time. But I agree with rok about the DVDs, I'll hear punchlines from month old jokes regularly. It's really a show that needs to be on HBO.

ahh, I love arrested development too. Seinfeld was the same way, making jokes that related to relatively small things in an episode from YEARS before.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Great, more attempts to get me to spend money on media that I can do only one thing with, play on my Mac. Hey, how about letting me burn it to DVD???

Or, i could just get HBO, TV everything, copy it to my mac, burn to DVD, and keep for good.

I got into a discussion with another guy about this. If you use Tivo to go to get your shows to an iPod. You are required to purchase:

Television
Subscribe to cable, rent cable box
Tivo box subscribe to Tivo service
Computer with internet service
iPod

After that you have to go through all the steps of recording a show to Tivo, encoding it to 320x240 video then importing it into your iPod.

With iTunes you are required to purchase:

Computer with internet service
iPod
Show at $1.99 each

The other thing too is if Tivo ever became a wide mass market device guaranteed television studios would have litigation. They would want control over what could happen with shows recorded off of Tivo. They would never approve of the wide use of a technology that took control of their content totally out of their hands.

The way Apple is doing this could prove beneficial in a couple of ways. One important way is to show content providers that consumers can responsibly own content on their hard drive and still be profitable.

This could help encourage studios in the future to allow downloading of DVD material on to hard drives and burning of material from hard drive to DVD.

Quote:
i'd like episodes of arrested development on the store for download. fox may be less likely to cancel good shows if they're bringing in alternate value like that. then again

The rumor is that Fox is going to let Arrested Development go. The good news is that a couple of cable networks are showing interest in picking up the show. I guess thats bad if you dont have cable, but its good because the cable environment is less demanding and more supportive of shows like Arrested Development.

Quote:
Arrested Development is *the* funniest show on television. I just Fox would give it a chance. Seinfeld took about 4 seasons to take off. You would think Fox would know that a show needs some time.

We no longer live in that environment where television studios or record companies will give talent a chance to develop and flourish. They are owned by wall street conglomerates and need a huge return on investment now.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
We no longer live in that environment where television studios or record companies will give talent a chance to develop and flourish. They are owned by wall street conglomerates and need a huge return on investment now. [/B]

That's also because people have shorter attention spans. Look at where culture has gone. Everything has to be fast, cut from this, cut from that. The MTV generation, remember?

Look at the comedies of the '50's and '60's. There were laughs, but the story wasn't *funny* the way it has to be today. The same thing with drama. There has to be an *event* every time before a commercial, or people lose interest.

Gentle shows no longer have much of a chance.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Everything has to be fast, cut from this, cut from that. The MTV generation, remember?

That's true, but its because media has programmed people to have shorter attention spans.

It has been shown and proven with ratings and awards that people will sit and watch a slower pace story when there is good compelling content.

Fast cutting and short attention absolves the creator of actually having to tell a good story.

For the past ten years American sitcom writing has lived off of a concept called "like a laugh". Where they condition the audience to find a certain situation funny. After that all writer has to do was write the over all skeleton of that funny situation, they are able to plug it into various different circumstances, and people will find it funny becasue they've been conditioned to find it funny.

That saves the writer from actually having to write something funny.

Over the past three to four years though I think they've used that up and people aren't watching sitcoms as much anymore, thank goodness.

The same with music these days.

Most music now is dependend on a heavy rhythmic beat. It doesn't matter what the singer is saying, it doesn't really matter who sings it. People will dance to the beat.

Hopfully at some point the general audience will tire of this and we'll be able to move on to something else.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
That's true, but its because media has programmed people to have shorter attention spans.

It has been shown and proven with ratings and awards that people will sit and watch a slower pace story when there is good compelling content.

Fast cutting and short attention absolves the creator of actually having to tell a good story.

For the past ten years American sitcom writing has lived off of a concept called "like a laugh". Where they condition the audience to find a certain situation funny. After that all writer has to do was write the over all skeleton of that funny situation, they are able to plug it into various different circumstances, and people will find it funny becasue they've been conditioned to find it funny.

That saves the writer from actually having to write something funny.

Over the past three to four years though I think they've used that up and people aren't watching sitcoms as much anymore, thank goodness.

The same with music these days.

Most music now is dependend on a heavy rhythmic beat. It doesn't matter what the singer is saying, it doesn't really matter who sings it. People will dance to the beat.

Hopfully at some point the general audience will tire of this and we'll be able to move on to something else.

I'm not encouraged in that.

I don't blame the producers. They give the people what they want.

As much as I listen to it myself, the beginning of this, in music at least, started with rock and roll. It knocked longer more complex musical forms out of the public consciousness. I remember when I was a kid in the '60's that Classical music has a 25% marketshare of music sold. Now it's about 2%.

When I've asked people why they don't listen to that, and to jazz, the response I've gotten is that it's too much trouble. People have to understand it a bit before they can appreciate it.

Look how movies have changed as well.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Money. Always money. Actors contracts, advertizing agreements, profit sharing between local stations and the network. I could go on from there.

Do you think that Apple doesn't WANT to sell to everyone across the world?

If Job's could snap his fingers, and all of a sudden, every file that he wants to sell became available, and everywhere around the world contracts were settled, he would have them up in a flash.

I hear ya, deep down I already know that I just wish it wouldn't take so long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
That's also because people have shorter attention spans. Look at where culture has gone. Everything has to be fast, cut from this, cut from that. The MTV generation, remember?

Look at the comedies of the '50's and '60's. There were laughs, but the story wasn't *funny* the way it has to be today. The same thing with drama. There has to be an *event* every time before a commercial, or people lose interest.

Gentle shows no longer have much of a chance.

And yet Arrested Development, a show which epitomizes fast cuts and one joke after another in rapid, rapid sequence, gets crappy ratings.

I wonder why that is? Seriously, I do.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally posted by Flounder
And yet Arrested Development, a show which epitomizes fast cuts and one joke after another in rapid, rapid sequence, gets crappy ratings.

I wonder why that is? Seriously, I do.

That's why the people who do the programming get the big bucks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › HBO wants to put the Sopranos on your iPod