or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.4 development winding down
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.4 development winding down

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
The development of Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update appears to be in the final stages at Apple Computer, as tipsters say the latest developer builds of the software are accompanied by only a few outstanding issues.

According to sources and reports already present on the Web, Mac OS X 10.4.4 stands to deliver over 120 bug fixes to the Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system. Targeted areas are said to include audio, AppleScript, Bluetooth, Dashboard widgets, DVD Player, graphics, graphics drivers, iChat, Safari, and Spotlight.

The near 52MB system update will be the fourth maintenance update released for Tiger in the seven months since Apple first made the operating system available to the public.

In the latest builds of 10.4.4, tipsters say Apple has made several refinements to the Safari web browser, including scrolling, download and rendering fixes. The release will also reportedly repair a hole in Safari that has blocked some users from accessing sites like GoDaddy.com.

If Apple's Mac OS X Update schedule in recent years is any indication, Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update should see a release just prior to the Apple's holiday break which occurs near the last week of December.

The most recent developer release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 is rumored to be build 8G22.
post #2 of 38
Most importantly... Tiger 10.4.4 for Intel can't be ready if the main 10.4.4 isn't, and I want my YonahBook On track to show in January and ship by March maybe?
post #3 of 38
Oh, man, I can't wait to go to the Apple Store to line up for my copy of Tiger 10.4.4! Yipee!
post #4 of 38
i hope it fixes .mac sync! I've been getting 'unable to login to sync server' for ages :/ not sure if its a 10.4.3 or server-end problem
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
Oh, man, I can't wait to go to the Apple Store to line up for my copy of Tiger 10.4.4! Yipee!

You go to the Apple Store to get a copy? I believe this is a free version intended for software update, as per usual before the holidays.
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Mero
You go to the Apple Store to get a copy? I believe this is a free version intended for software update, as per usual before the holidays.

I was just kidding. Gotcha!
post #7 of 38
I hope the Safari fix corrects whatever the deal is with bananarepublic.com, which just flat refuses to display in Safari.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
I was just kidding. Gotcha!

I AM SUCH THE APRIL FOOL!

OWn3d <-- wow I havent typed that in awhile. haha
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Porchland
I hope the Safari fix corrects whatever the deal is with bananarepublic.com, which just flat refuses to display in Safari.

Maybe this is part of using a Mac. It intrinsically knows you're about to make a major fashion faux pas by buying something at banana republic, plus that you'd be overpaying for the clothing (and knowing you can't afford it, since you spent all your money on a mac), so its basically stopping you from even going there.

I must say, this is a great feature...
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Mero
I AM SUCH THE APRIL FOOL!

OWn3d <-- wow I havent typed that in awhile. haha

It's spelt pwnt now. :P Or maybe that's out of date now.
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
It's spelt pwnt now. :P Or maybe that's out of date now.

man, damn kids!! i am so out of date....
post #12 of 38
Quote:
The release will also reportedly repair a hole in Safari that has blocked some users from accessing sites like GoDaddy.com.

That problem is already fixed!

From the GoDaddy.com site:

Quote:
The resolution for Apple Safari web browser difficulties is now in place for GoDaddy.com customers. The issue involved some customers who were having problems accessing forwarded domain names. The issue was NOT related to a problem in the GoDaddy.com service, but rather with a product supplied by one of our vendors.
This also resolves the same issue with the Opera browser on the Macintosh platform.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by starwxrwx
i hope it fixes .mac sync! I've been getting 'unable to login to sync server' for ages :/ not sure if its a 10.4.3 or server-end problem

No problems here - I sync every day.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
Reply
post #14 of 38
here's an interesting thought: let's say i decide to reinstall my machine after the 10.4.4 update comes out. i bought tiger the day it came out, so i have the 10.4.0 dvd install. which means i would immediately have to install every update in one big honkin' combo updater, right? what's THAT gonna weigh in at? like 300 MB, when all is said and done?

just glad i have broadband, i guess. but there are still plenty of folks who don't have broadband as an option (or who can't afford it instead of their managed minute-by-minute plans). seems to me it might behoove apple to, at some point, make a cheap updater dvd that includes all updates-to-date (they can't do it all the time, but maybe when the sum total size of updates surpasses a certain mark), and offer it free (you still pay for shipping) with a tiger proof of purchase?

just a thought.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #15 of 38
I've wondered that same thing.
post #16 of 38
There are still people with modems? Even I have dsl and i'm in...the sticks, VT.

If people want updates, they should bring their memory stick or ipod to a store and grab them there.

As for 10.4.4, it better fix a lot. Apps are Unexpectedly quitting in 10.4.3 even on my girl's plain vanilla PB. It has nothing on it but office. 10.4.3 is disappointing. I hope they got it right with 10.4.4 in terms of stability.

And make Safari stop fucking my computer when it has more than 30 pages open. Why do browsers do that? Even FireFox just grinds my computer to a halt with more than 30 pages open. That's just unacceptable. If I'm doing a paper I need 30, 50, maybe a 100 web pages open. Why does it munch CPU to have pages open in the background? And they're static too. WTF mate. throw it on the drive or hell even RAM, I have 640 megs. Shouldn't bring a 876mhz PBG4 to a grinding halt with 640 RAM and 10.4.3 should it?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by rok
here's an interesting thought: let's say i decide to reinstall my machine after the 10.4.4 update comes out. i bought tiger the day it came out, so i have the 10.4.0 dvd install. which means i would immediately have to install every update in one big honkin' combo updater, right? what's THAT gonna weigh in at? like 300 MB, when all is said and done?

The combo updater is like 100MB. It really isn't as big as all the indivual updates put together. Probably because they keep fixing the same things over and over again....

But I'm sure 10.4.4 is going to be as rock solid! Just like System 7.
post #18 of 38
When 10.4.4 comes out. It'll be the best update yet for some people. And the worst update for others.

In fact, my sekrit sources say that 10.4.4 will break a lot of people's Spotlight indexing...and the Dashboard will still be around, for the people that don't like it.

I'm not kidding either. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
There are still people with modems? Even I have dsl and i'm in...the sticks, VT.

If people want updates, they should bring their memory stick or ipod to a store and grab them there.

As for 10.4.4, it better fix a lot. Apps are Unexpectedly quitting in 10.4.3 even on my girl's plain vanilla PB. It has nothing on it but office. 10.4.3 is disappointing. I hope they got it right with 10.4.4 in terms of stability.

And make Safari stop fucking my computer when it has more than 30 pages open. Why do browsers do that? Even FireFox just grinds my computer to a halt with more than 30 pages open. That's just unacceptable. If I'm doing a paper I need 30, 50, maybe a 100 web pages open. Why does it munch CPU to have pages open in the background? And they're static too. WTF mate. throw it on the drive or hell even RAM, I have 640 megs. Shouldn't bring a 876mhz PBG4 to a grinding halt with 640 RAM and 10.4.3 should it?

I'm in the middle of a city and can't get anything but dial-up. All thanks to our communications industry being run by a duopoly concerned entirely with cutting services and increasing costs to boost profit.

Ah well, no probs for me, but a new update is always welcome.
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
Reply
iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB 10.4.2
3G 15GB iPod
512MB iPod shuffle
Reply
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by kim kap sol
When 10.4.4 comes out. It'll be the best update yet for some people. And the worst update for others.

Isn't that the truth. I had no problems with any release of Tiger apart from 10.4.3. Others hated 10.4.0, whilst I loved it. Now people seem to be calming down as 10.4.3 has solved their problems, but now has given me woes for some reason. In fairness, I still get less crashes than Windows, but after using Mac OS X for the year with next to no crashes, the few that happen in 10.4.3 really stand out.

Roll on 10.4.4.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #21 of 38
heh. 10.4.0 and 10.4.1 bit of a disaster, but 10.4.3 has been relatively awesome for me... i did clean install though... with 10.4.4 i'll just let it update.

yeah, relatiively good for me on 10.4.3. sorry to hear otherwise for people that have had challenges with 10.4.3 -- i know of a few niggling things that well, are just plain frustrating and sometimes, bewildering.
post #22 of 38
just did a fresh install (erase and install) of tiger tonight, and brought it up to 10.4.3. i had been on panther because of issues with airport and wep connections and linksys hardware and 10.4.2 (like, um, it wouldn't see my router). now everything's fine, and secure. so far, so good, but i haven't installed much yet.
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

-...
Reply
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
I was just kidding. Gotcha!

But you forgot the most important question, 'is it teh snappy?!" :P
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
Isn't that the truth. I had no problems with any release of Tiger apart from 10.4.3. Others hated 10.4.0, whilst I loved it. Now people seem to be calming down as 10.4.3 has solved their problems, but now has given me woes for some reason. In fairness, I still get less crashes than Windows, but after using Mac OS X for the year with next to no crashes, the few that happen in 10.4.3 really stand out.

Roll on 10.4.4.

Question: when you mean crashes, do you mean kernel panics of just strange application crashes?
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
heh. 10.4.0 and 10.4.1 bit of a disaster, but 10.4.3 has been relatively awesome for me... i did clean install though... with 10.4.4 i'll just let it update.

yeah, relatiively good for me on 10.4.3. sorry to hear otherwise for people that have had challenges with 10.4.3 -- i know of a few niggling things that well, are just plain frustrating and sometimes, bewildering.

Meh, for me, I'm combo all the way; even if I'm sitting on 10.4.3, I just don't like the idea of the installer making a leap of faith in regards to what needs to be updated.

I'll assume that the 52MB is the delta update, which is a fairly significate update when compared to the last delta size - I'd say the combo size must be sitting around close to 120-130MB; lets hope it includes some good Safari updates, but I have a feeling that the BIG features for Safari, like SVG support etc. won't appear until 10.5 - which is a good thing as they need a fair amount of testing.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by kaiwai
Question: when you mean crashes, do you mean kernel panics of just strange application crashes?

App crashes - mainly Safari, sometimes Mail, a few odd occasions Adium and HandBrake.

This is what I mean by crashing less than Windows. If Safari crashes, well mer, just open it again. If a Windows app crashes, restarts are generally needed! I will run the combo updater for 10.4.4, should sort itself out.
Daniel Tull
Reply
Daniel Tull
Reply
post #27 of 38
Originally posted by kaiwai
Meh, for me, I'm combo all the way; even if I'm sitting on 10.4.3, I just don't like the idea of the installer making a leap of faith in regards to what needs to be updated.

I'll assume that the 52MB is the delta update, which is a fairly significate update when compared to the last delta size - I'd say the combo size must be sitting around close to 120-130MB; lets hope it includes some good Safari updates, but I have a feeling that the BIG features for Safari, like SVG support etc. won't appear until 10.5 - which is a good thing as they need a fair amount of testing.



actually i combo'ed 10.4.0 to 10.4.2 and combo'ed 10.4.2 to 10.4.3 so maybe i will teh combo 10.4.4 too...! you've scared me a bit there re: software updates
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
App crashes - mainly Safari, sometimes Mail, a few odd occasions Adium and HandBrake.

This is what I mean by crashing less than Windows. If Safari crashes, well mer, just open it again. If a Windows app crashes, restarts are generally needed! I will run the combo updater for 10.4.4, should sort itself out.

Something else must be going on. I'm supporting six Macs here and we don't see that kind of trouble. Perhaps there is a disk problem? memory problem? faulty install from the start?
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Reply
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by danielctull
App crashes - mainly Safari, sometimes Mail, a few odd occasions Adium and HandBrake.

This is what I mean by crashing less than Windows. If Safari crashes, well mer, just open it again. If a Windows app crashes, restarts are generally needed! I will run the combo updater for 10.4.4, should sort itself out.

Suggestions, check your plugins for both applications, make sure yuo have the latest and greatest updates for those plugins - check your memory module using the software provided by Apple, I think there is a memtest86 thing for Mac as well.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
... rock solid! Just like System 7.

So it will only crash 3 times per day?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
Reply
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic
And make Safari stop fucking my computer when it has more than 30 pages open. Why do browsers do that? Even FireFox just grinds my computer to a halt with more than 30 pages open. That's just unacceptable. If I'm doing a paper I need 30, 50, maybe a 100 web pages open. Why does it munch CPU to have pages open in the background? And they're static too. WTF mate. throw it on the drive or hell even RAM, I have 640 megs. Shouldn't bring a 876mhz PBG4 to a grinding halt with 640 RAM and 10.4.3 should it?

Have you tried Opera? It seems to be the most resource efficient browser, on Windoze anyway. Even Opera will eat up memory like candy with lots of pages open. Closing tabs doesn't necessarily free the memory either, probably because Opera lets you recover closed tabs and it happens instantly most of the time. If it makes you feel any better, opening 30-50 pages in IE on Windoze will sink the ship like a rock. I doubt you could even get close to 100 pages open at once. Seriously tho - check out Opera if you haven't already. In my estimation it is far superior to other browsers for the type of heavy lifting and research that you're doing. My favorite features in this regard (other than its efficiency) are the notepad and mouse gestures. You can highlight any text and quickly google it too. You can copy bits of text to the notes and it remebers the URL where you found it. Pretty neat. Its built in email client is also very nice... efficient, secure (blocks external embeds by default, you can switch it on if you like), built like a lean, mean database,... got instant searching. It doesn't interface with spotlight tho... oh well, it's a cross platform power-tool.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by funkfeend
If it makes you feel any better, opening 30-50 pages in IE on Windoze will sink the ship like a rock. I doubt you could even get close to 100 pages open at once.



I have again heard that in the past, but never tried it. What actually will happen?
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by Aquatic

And make Safari stop fucking my computer when it has more than 30 pages open. Why do browsers do that? Even FireFox just grinds my computer to a halt with more than 30 pages open. That's just unacceptable. If I'm doing a paper I need 30, 50, maybe a 100 web pages open. Why does it munch CPU to have pages open in the background? And they're static too. WTF mate.

I don't know about Tiger, but in Panther and the same Powerbook as yours, I have open in Camino 35 static pages (thanks ad blocking in ExtraPrefs), and CPU usage fluctuates between 1.5 and 2%. Something more or less expected. So either you do have some problem in your installation, or Tiger is just as bad as some people make it seem.
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by PB
I don't know about Tiger, but in Panther and the same Powerbook as yours, I have open in Camino 35 static pages (thanks ad blocking in ExtraPrefs), and CPU usage fluctuates between 1.5 and 2%. Something more or less expected. So either you do have some problem in your installation, or Tiger is just as bad as some people make it seem.

Interesting. On my 800MHz iBook G3 running Tiger, I can open about 25 pages, and it will not show too much sluggishness, but after about 30 pages, it gets pretty noticeable. On Activity Monitor, the memory usage gets just over 100MB (I have 640 MB), and the CPU usage hovers around 20-30%. Guess that's what the low end has to show.

On topic, though, I have this weird problem with Safari where the Minimize button will oddly disappear sometimes. Hope that gets fixed. Also, when are the friggin beachballs gonna go away?! On my dad's PowerBook today, the Finder crashed repeatedly when I tried to get to a networked computer.
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by speed_the_collapse
On topic, though, I have this weird problem with Safari where the Minimize button will oddly disappear sometimes. Hope that gets fixed.

The minimize button gets disabled when the Dock is not working for whatever reason.

Try deleting your Dock preferences and restarting the Dock process.

Quote:
Also, when are the friggin beachballs gonna go away?! On my dad's PowerBook today, the Finder crashed repeatedly when I tried to get to a networked computer.

Finder's networking is still quite broken.
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by funkfeend
If it makes you feel any better, opening 30-50 pages in IE on Windoze will sink the ship like a rock. I doubt you could even get close to 100 pages open at once.

Originally posted by PB
I have again heard that in the past, but never tried it. What actually will happen?


ah, the good ol' cascading pr0n0 windows of death. i legitimately mention pr0n here because this is the worst of the worst that could happen to you at work. accidentally click a link, and up to a 100 (or whatever locks up your windoze machine, usually dies at about 15-20 if you have several apps open) of sordid-content windows pops up. the only thing that will happen is 1. you get embarassed -OR- 2. you get fired -OR- 3. you have a bit of a laugh and smash the cubicle wall a bit -OR- 4. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) you instantly dive for the "hard reset" button on your windoze machine

edit:
manually one could have up to 20 windows of IE open at once but beyond that, the system just grinds to the halt (windows equivalent of beachball of death). a 1gb system with no windows open might handle up to 30 windows... one sec. i try now....
post #37 of 38
edit: actually i have 40 google IE 64bit windows open. still quite responsive... cheating a bit though because it's just google pages... and also i am using 1gb system with sata 7200rpm drive and WindowsXP2Pro-64bit, it's one of the best windows operating system builds redmond has put out IMHO. winxpro32bit is somewhat dodgy.

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
edit: actually i have 40 google IE 64bit windows open. still quite responsive... cheating a bit though because it's just google pages... and also i am using 1gb system with sata 7200rpm drive and WindowsXP2Pro-64bit, it's one of the best windows operating system builds redmond has put out IMHO. winxpro32bit is somewhat dodgy.


I wouldn't call it 'cheating', but I think the type of pages do matter. Pages with a lot of graphics, animated GIF's, flash ads, etc. are probably going to hog resources a lot more (especially if you open a bunch of pages) than Google search result pages.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.4 development winding down