or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › FUTURE HARDWARE 23 DAYS, and counting.

FUTURE HARDWARE 23 DAYS, and counting. - Page 3

post #81 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by icfireball
End of transition by WWDC of 2007 is all we heard. However all intel macs should be out by end of 2006.

I still think that the powermacs will be released at mwsf 2007. Then he can talk about leopard ipod and the the complete transition to intel.

Then by wwdc 07 Steve will discuss 10.6.0 and the real future of the mac platform....
post #82 of 133
I live in Japan and see the new stuff the Japanese makers are coming out with and it is mind-boggling. Apple, IMHO, need to play some catch-up, especially in the area of monitors. The new Sonys are cheaper, faster and have monitors that blow my home hteater system away.

The FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE PLEASE LIST
- Higher quality control: too many machines are currently DOA or have problems which are causing down time for their owners while the mangers at Apple are getting filthy rich off of stock options
(I speak from experience: of my last 8 Macs, six have been repaired, four of those twice, three of them three times or more, three machines were replaced and I am currently awaiting repairs on two- not to mention my first three 2.0s were DOA; my first Mac, a Mac Plus, lasted 13 years without a single problem (other than being dropped twice which did it no harm)
- Software that works on all models (the current problem with 10.4 on dual processor 2.0s comes to mind)
- dispense with AppleCare; jsut make good products that truly work and have a good 3-5 year warranty to begin with.
- BTO should not change the status of the computer in any way

THE WISH LIST
- lighter laptops
- better, brighter, sharper and less-expensive monitors all-round
- FW port more accessible on the iMac (functionality can be a design feature)
- More, more more USB and FW ports (laptops: 4 USB, 2FW)(desk: 6 USB, 4 FW)
- smaller form factor for the PM
- iSight in all models or monitors (if they can get 3.2 megapixels in my cel phone- which is not available in the US?- they can get a good iSight in a PB monitor lid)
- wireless might mouse
- Front Row for everyone
- faster conversion to iPod format under QT pro
- upgrade iWork with spreadsheet and a drawing program, along with label printing

THE APPLE COULD DO THAT IF THEY WANTED LIST
- more ergonomic keyboards
- smaller and lighter power bricks for notebooks
- advertising for Macs (tons of ad money for iPods leads me to worry that Apple will drop the computers at some stage)

That's it for now.

Happy whatever holiday you celebrate!

Bergermeister

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #83 of 133
Well the mass clearout of iBooks, Powerbooks and Minis at the Apple refurb store surely gives us a hint at what's coming?
post #84 of 133
apple "tough book"
apple "slingbox"
web based work suite...that way critical stuff can be kept on onine access like gmail

wimax ready airport and laptops

pb with flash drive

ihome--

apple get to 10% market share so more developers support apple

more apple supported sheet fed scanners. the fuji is $$$ and visioneer paperport was killer for os 9

apple everything
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #85 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
And if the price isn't a problem to me, what's it to you? As long as people want it, it doesn't hurt you in the least. If people find it too expensive, there's always the iBook. Choice is a good thing. Right now, we don't have that choice.

Besides, I don't think Apple would charge that much.

it's no problem to me but the whinning will start the moment a subnotebook will be presented with a listprice higher than expected...
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #86 of 133
I'd love to see an intel powerbook ~ I am selling my 17" G4 powerbook TODAY... so looks like I'll shortly need a new one!

I want...
Powerbook 15" w/ 2ghz intel (or higher) and 120gig 7200rpm drive... oh, and a price reduction!
Miles
Miles
post #87 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by gar
it's no problem to me but the whinning will start the moment a subnotebook will be presented with a listprice higher than expected...

That may be true but I want one and I would plop the cash down for it tomorrow if it were here.

Besides, I have NEVER seen one person on AI.com cry about prices...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #88 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
That may be true but I want one and I would plop the cash down for it tomorrow if it were here.

Besides, I have NEVER seen one person on AI.com cry about prices...

you're new here, right?
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #89 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Bergermeister
- iSight in all models or monitors (if they can get 3.2 megapixels in my cel phone- which is not available in the US?- they can get a good iSight in a PB monitor lid)

Bergermeister [/B]

I'm happy with iSight supplied with a PowerBook as long as it is removable or BTO. There are many customers I visit that do not allow any cameras of any sort on the premises. I can leave my cell phone with the guard but I can't do my presentation if I have to leave my PowerBook at the security desk.

I have an Al PB and find the powerbrick to be lighter and smaller than any in the past. What do you have in mind?

I lived in Japan for nine years and I have always found the Japanese designs to be attractive and aggressive but not always practical. I recall beautiful cassette players and MD players using touch controls and solenoids which were really cool but quite expensive.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #90 of 133
Never thought about not allowing cams on the premises... good point, but the time is fast approaching when it will be hard to find all cams, they are getting so small and into everything.

Indeed, some of the Japanese devices were overdone, but things are changing now in a very practical direction, so it is possible to find some really great products without breaking the bank account. One of my favorites, though it has been discontinued, is the Sony Clie PEG-UX50, which is loaded: camera, video, great screen, memory stick, blue tooth, keyboard (which is actually usable), Palm OS onbaord, linked to the Mac with MissingSync. In short, whenever I have to travel by train anywhere, this is all I take. I have with me a couple of home videos I can watch, audio I can listen to while typing in the memo pad, and I can record meetings, either audio or video and then plug those back into my Mac. And it's almost the size of the iPod 5G! Of course, there are also games!

The power brick I use now is a third party device that is almost half the weight of Apple's and does not radiate as much heat. It's also slightly smaller overall. I have seen bricks here for 17" portables that are smaller than that one, so it can be done.

Another thing I would like to see Apple or another company come out with is a multi-battery charger for the PB. There was one a few years back, but not for the recent models.

post #91 of 133
where did you get the power brick, if it's as small as you say i'd like to get one and hopefully they have a small one for my wife's ibook g4
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #92 of 133
Quote:
- Higher quality control: too many machines are currently DOA or have problems which are causing down time for their owners while the mangers at Apple are getting filthy rich off of stock options
(I speak from experience: of my last 8 Macs, six have been repaired, four of those twice, three of them three times or more, three machines were replaced and I am currently awaiting repairs on two- not to mention my first three 2.0s were DOA; my first Mac, a Mac Plus, lasted 13 years without a single problem (other than being dropped twice which did it no harm)

Wow, you must have some bad karma going on there somehow. I've averaged about one new Mac (for home or office) each year for the past 16 years, with zero problems to speak of. (I did experience the TiBook paint flaking which Apple repaired under warranty.)

My wish for next year would be for Apple to make a lighter, cooler, faster more scratch resistant iBook with a brighter, higher resolution screen.
post #93 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by gar

Griping about Apple prices is a time-honored tradition. It's human nature to wish anything expensive was less so. But we pay the prices anyway because we know Macs are worth it. And it's a time-honored tradition for some people to accuse the gripers of "whining." Case in point.
post #94 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by NOFEER
where did you get the power brick, if it's as small as you say i'd like to get one and hopefully they have a small one for my wife's ibook g4

Try the Madsonline Microadapter. It's expensive, though.
post #95 of 133
The brick: bought it at a local discount electronics store in Japan so I don't know if it is available over the ocean. It's a Brighton NET B-Power.

Bad karma... I was worried for a while, but when three local stores said they had had similar troubles with Apple Japan (one stopped selling Apple products supposedly out of frustration), I thought it wasn't just me. To be honest, I was very tempted to switch to PCs after three years of squabbling with the Call Center here. Now with the Apple stores arriving in country (they are controled by Apple USA, no less) and with greater sales, pressure seems to be mounting for Apple Japan to get it's act together (they still have a long way to go). Anyway, that is a different topic and they just called to say they will be replacing not-quite 2-years-old G5 2.0 (which has needed 3 new motherboards in a month) with a brand new dual core, but it will take three weeks to process. Merry Christmas, I guess, if you ignore the time I spent on the phone and the lack of progress on a major project because I don't have a functioning machine until next year (sounds worse than next month). I love Macs and hated myself for considering a switch, but at one point I simply didn't think I had an option, and I am still not confident.

Another new thing I would like to see (which is the basis of this thread!?!?): a new iPod Video that can actually hold disk images of DVDs and then run them as a DVD player would, remote and all. I make lots of DVD projects and need to show them to clients, and would like to have my collection with me without lugging around my PB. Oh, and make it scratch resistant!

By the way, how do you guys include the quote (originally posted by...) in your messages? I am rather new at this.

post #96 of 133
Quote:

By the way, how do you guys include the quote (originally posted by...) in your messages? I am rather new at this.

Notice the "reply" button in the upper right hand corner of MY post? Hit that... Or the post you want to reply too...
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #97 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by aplnub
Notice the "reply" button in the upper right hand corner of MY post? Hit that... Or the post you want to reply too...

Thanks!

post #98 of 133
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bergermeister
[B]I live in Japan and see the new stuff the Japanese makers are coming out with and it is mind-boggling. Apple, IMHO, need to play some catch-up, especially in the area of monitors. The new Sonys are cheaper, faster and have monitors that blow my home hteater system away.

I'ts such a shame that the Sony computers have to run XP So totaly useless.

I think Apple will play catchup with sleeker brighter monitors especially with HD about to explode in 2006 here in the UK.

Switching to Intel will prove to be a very good move but I doubt I will buy one until the OS is native to intel processors the idea of emulation does not go down well with me as performance will suffer.

I thnk the iBook and PB's are going to be just awsome,Thinner,lighter,faster. Sony do some fantastic note books and I can see Apple matching that but with the most important feature of all OSX. Its software that makes a platform great. Even when Vista comes out OSX will be years ahead.

I also think its the Home life style market that will explode for Apple in 2006 ie Front Row etc. We have seen glimpses already in 2005, but hopefully with AExpress streaming video and hopefully multiple streams so you could listen to different music/video in different locations where there is an AE which is something I'm screaming for!

Most important product has to be the Home digital hub and that is where the Mac Mini should truly show it's potential with built in DVR, Wireless capability etc.

Exciting times ahead for Apple and I'm happy I made the switch this year.
So here is to 2006.

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

G5 2GHZ Power Mac, iPod Shuffle (1st Gen),iPod Nano (2nd Gen),iPod (5th Gen), Apple TV, Apple TV 2G x2, iPad 2,iPhone 4S, rMBP 15" 2.6

post #99 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo123
Switching to Intel will prove to be a very good move but I doubt I will buy one until the OS is native to intel processors the idea of emulation does not go down well with me as performance will suffer.

HUH??? What are you talking about???

The OS is completely "native to intel"!
The emulation you're referring to only concerns some Powerpc apps which have not yet been ported to run natively on Macs with intel processors.
post #100 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by dutch pear
HUH??? What are you talking about???

The OS is completely "native to intel"!
The emulation you're referring to only concerns some Powerpc apps which have not yet been ported to run natively on Macs with intel processors.

Sorry you are right

post #101 of 133
Speaking of software... Anyone know the status of the major software packages being converted?

New powerbooks prior to software could be bad. PC users switching and then finding no software would think the old tales of Apple having no software were true. And emulation doesn't count in my book.

Is Micropuke planning to make an intel native Office for Mac?

I think an intel based Mac Mini and/or DVR are likely at macworld. Maybe the ibook... But wouldn't a yonah based ibook trounce the powerbook?

Corey
post #102 of 133
Quote:
I live in Japan and see the new stuff the Japanese makers are coming out with and it is mind-boggling. Apple, IMHO, need to play some catch-up, especially in the area of monitors. The new Sonys are cheaper, faster and have monitors that blow my home hteater system away.

- Software that works on all models (the current problem with 10.4 on dual processor 2.0s comes to mind)
- dispense with AppleCare; jsut make good products that truly work and have a good 3-5 year warranty to begin with.
- BTO should not change the status of the computer in any way

THE WISH LIST
- lighter laptops
- better, brighter, sharper and less-expensive monitors all-round
- FW port more accessible on the iMac (functionality can be a design feature)
- More, more more USB and FW ports (laptops: 4 USB, 2FW)(desk: 6 USB, 4 FW)
- smaller form factor for the PM
- wireless might mouse
- Front Row for everyone
- faster conversion to iPod format under QT pro
- upgrade iWork with spreadsheet and a drawing program, along with label printing

THE APPLE COULD DO THAT IF THEY WANTED LIST
- more ergonomic keyboards
- advertising for Macs (tons of ad money for iPods leads me to worry that Apple will drop the computers at some stage)

That's it for now.

Happy whatever holiday you celebrate!

Bergermeister

Well Bergermeister, you seem to be the hard-luck man of the Century. I do sympathize, but can find absolutely nothing in my 20 years of Mac use to compare with your situation. I think I purchased very version of KanjiTalk ever-- at gross waste of money, as it turned out. Thank the kami for OSX.

I might add that I spend about a third of my time in Japan, too, so have gone through all the horrible days of trying to service macs from one end of the country to the other, with those dreadful Canon "service centers" in the bad old days before Apple Store! My only service problem on recent macs was a HD that failed after heavy use in my first G4^3. I did, I admit, have the leprosy problem on my G4 Powerbook, but that was taken care of IMMEDIATELY by my local AppleStore in SoHo.

On the rest of your message: I was struck by both the care taken in your problem list and in your wish list. Good thoughts! I wonder if we cannot get a real mid-form G5 powermacs without having to haul home one of today's G5's.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #103 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Corey
Is Micropuke planning to make an intel native Office for Mac?

I believe it has been announced that yes, they are planning to.
post #104 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Chucker
I believe it has been announced that yes, they are planning to.

Yes Adobe, and Microsoft will have native apps ready to go. I wouldn't doubt it if they didn't have them ready for a few months already. I know that Luxology had everything in hand, and ready on their transition box a while ago.

MWSF 13 days away and counting. It's two weeks away folks!
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #105 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubit
Well Bergermeister, you seem to be the hard-luck man of the Century. I do sympathize, but can find absolutely nothing in my 20 years of Mac use to compare with your situation. I think I purchased very version of KanjiTalk ever-- at gross waste of money, as it turned out. Thank the kami for OSX.

I envy your 20 years of good Macs... Apple is at the moment replacing the keyboard on my PB for the third time. They even once told me they were not confident that they could fix it, and that I should buy AppleCare just in case. Later (just last week) they said it (the laminate comming undone) was something that happened and was not un-heard-of, especially when the user was a heavy typer. Sounds like lung cancer.

Agreed on kanjiTalk; it was a true waste of money. OSX has made things nice! The only problem now is while most of Apple's apps will switch languages through the International settings in SysPrefs, they didn't bother to update AppleWorks, nor did their subsiderary do the same for FileMakerPro. iWork 06 hopefully will solve all of this!

With the popularity of the black iPods, will Apple come out with multi-colors again in their computers? What about a chameleon iMac that can actually change colors (using LEDs or something like that)?

One more thing would be a lighter wireless keyboard.

Will there be live coverage of The Event (the Keynote is all that we live for) this year, or the European leak, or will we have to wait until after His Steveness speaketh to hear all of the good stuff?

post #106 of 133
Quote:
Will there be live coverage of The Event (the Keynote is all that we live for) this year, or the European leak, or will we have to wait until after His Steveness speaketh to hear all of the good stuff?

It seems Apple does not announce a keynote stream until a few days before an event, usually based on expected disappointment level.

Expected low disappointment level: keynote is streamed live in QuickTime.

Expected high disappointment level: keynote stream is delayed until later.

post #107 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
It seems Apple does not announce a keynote stream until a few days before an event, usually based on expected disappointment level.

Expected low disappointment level: keynote is streamed live in QuickTime.

Expected high disappointment level: keynote stream is delayed until later.

Dude that is about the size of it too.
onlooker

onlooker

post #108 of 133
Actually, I think live streams haven't been done for a while for rather practical reasons: it's a lot of work.

Apple needs to:
1) provides four streams (traditional low-quality MPEG-4 for computers too old to handle H.264, such as mine as well as three different H.264 versions)
2) encode all these four streams in realtime (with as few seconds delay as possible)
3) stream all these four streams to millions of people watching, spread over the world.

They get help from Akamai on the last, but the first two are quite an effort, and quite importantly, they don't add significant value to the company. They're nice to watch for geeks, but frankly, what's the big deal? So you get to watch it a few hours later, giving Apple a chance to encode all four versions without real-time (thus probably achieving slightly better quality).
post #109 of 133
12 Days - 13 till the Steve-note.

Quote:
I know that Luxology had everything in hand, and ready on their transition box a while ago.

Modo would be very cool to see demoed. Mathematica usually gets some airtime, too. Carefully crafted Photoshop filter-offs are usually a standard, as well.

Will Apple show Windows vs OS X Intel bake-offs? You know they must have people trying to find applications that do ANYTHING faster under OS X than Windows.

- Jasen.
post #110 of 133
According to the schedule, Steve's got 90 minutes for his keynote. Is that enough time to cover all the new things that have been mentioned in the rumours?

How can he cover:
1. The usual how brilliant Apple are speech.
2. Intel based Macs replacing those formerly based on the G4. Possible Yonah based iMac. And showing why they are so much better than the models they replace.
3. Mac Mini based media center.
4. New content delivery methods - such as movie streaming.
5. iLife '06 features.
6. iWork '06 features.
7. Shuffle update.
8. wi-fi devices replacing current airport devices with perhaps more empahsis on media streaming.
9. New stuff that hasn't been leaked.

And probably some others I forgot, in just 90 minutes?
post #111 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Jootec from Mars
How can he cover:...

I think, as usual, the rumors are way too optimistic.

One new Mac and a bunch of software is about what I expect.
post #112 of 133
You forgot IPODS

and the obligatory music dude to demo garage band something or other.
post #113 of 133
Predictions:

- New content partnership deals for iTMS, possibly some full-length movie downloads to test the water (Disney / Pixar?)
- OSX Intel news - talk about how many apps are now ready to go as universal binaries, announce at least 1 big name piece of software ready. Majority of Apples pro software ported.
- iLife 06 (Universal Binary)
- Intel iBooks
- Intel Mac Mini (fastest model includes Frontrow 2.0 + remote)
- iPod Shuffle 2G

??
post #114 of 133
Quote:
With the popularity of the black iPods, will Apple come out with multi-colors again in their computers? What about a chameleon iMac that can actually change colors (using LEDs or something like that)?

Love the idea! Imagine a Gekko version or the chameleon green to dark brown change when your boss comes in the room....

I still love that PB G3 Pismo I have sitting over there in the corner. I never upgraded it to OSX as I was preserving all my Japanese stuff on it and use it to play Japan-coded DVDs, but it does remind me that that black, and it tactile eas of use and shape, was a true home-run-- especially with all the swapping drives & things I accumulated!

I would really like to see the new PB's as sturdy as they could be, but I've invested in so many of those Japanese goodies in bags and sleeves and such that I probably don't need any...
post #115 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by iDave
I think, as usual, the rumors are way too optimistic.

One new Mac and a bunch of software is about what I expect.

This is actually my guess as well. I love reading rumors, but I hardly expect to see much come of them. Especially this time.
I would like to see some kind of iHome device beyond that iMac crap thing. Although I don't think Apple realized early enough to be ready with a good one that this was the direction people were interested in going, but I do hope they realize that is where we are headed.
Someone will make it happen if they don't, but I'd rather it was Apple.
onlooker

onlooker

post #116 of 133
This fall however Apple went a little crazy and relased more than the rumors, so they are capable of doing the same.
post #117 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by Cubit
Love the idea! Imagine a Gekko version or the chameleon green to dark brown change when your boss comes in the room....

I still love that PB G3 Pismo I have sitting over there in the corner. I never upgraded it to OSX as I was preserving all my Japanese stuff on it and use it to play Japan-coded DVDs, but it does remind me that that black, and it tactile eas of use and shape, was a true home-run-- especially with all the swapping drives & things I accumulated!

I would really like to see the new PB's as sturdy as they could be, but I've invested in so many of those Japanese goodies in bags and sleeves and such that I probably don't need any...

didn't i read here that apple has a patent for this???
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #118 of 133
MWSF is a consumer-related show (and CES is the 5-8 of Jan.)

That a Mac is running a certain processor is only relevant after the fact (meaning Jobs will announce the features of the product, not the specs). We are interested in the processor, mobo, busses, etc.

The consumer just wants to be blown away.

So Jobs can do a helluva lot and leave the details for us to scrounge from apple.com
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
post #119 of 133
Quote:
Originally posted by jccbin
The consumer just wants to be blown away.

So Jobs can do a helluva lot and leave the details for us to scrounge from apple.com

Hopefully he can blow us all away! Go Steve!

post #120 of 133
11 days 'til MWSF - 12 days 'til the Stevenote.
onlooker

onlooker

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › FUTURE HARDWARE 23 DAYS, and counting.