or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Report: Apple to unveil light-weight notebook models in '06

Report: Apple to unveil light-weight notebook models in '06

post #1 of 64
Among all brand-name notebook computer makers, Apple Computer is set to take center stage next year with new stylish "light-weight models," according to an online report.

"Apple is projected to ship 3.27 million notebook computers worldwide next year, an increase of 42 percent compared to 2.29 million units this year, according to study results released by the Topology Research Institute," wrote the Taipei Times.

The large increase in shipments would likely boost Apple's worldwide notebook market share from 3.9 to 4.7 percent, the study found.

"Compared to other makers which will post only moderate growth, Apple's performance is significant and worth paying attention to," Topology analyst Simon Yang told the Times.

Yang predicts the company "will unveil light-weight models with a stylish design aimed at luring female users."

The analyst expects a 12-inch model to weigh less than 3.3 pounds and a 14-inch model to weigh less than 4.4 pounds. He did not specify whether the notebooks would be iBooks or PowerBooks.

The reliability of the analyst's predictions are unknown.

AppleInsider has reported that Apple is working on a 25-percent thinner 15-inch Intel PowerBook that could debut as early as Macworld and a 13-inch widescreen iBook that would debut slightly later.

12-inch iBooks (expected along with the 13-inch widescreen) and a 17-inch PowerBook (expected to debut mid-year) are also in the cards, sources say. However, there is no information to suggest Apple will introduce new 14-inch models, bringing the analyst's predictions into question.

Nevertheless, Yang believes the "fondness effect" generated by massive sales of iPods will be the force driving Apple notebooks in the new year.
post #2 of 64
Gawdammit! I hope these rumors prove to be true! I've been waiting for the new powerbooks since they introduced the 1st G5's like twenty years ago
post #3 of 64
Quote:
...will unveil light-weight models with a stylish design aimed at luring female users.

Flower Power, take two!

Light-weight though, its about time. I'm expecting to lose some money next year.
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
post #4 of 64
Just load it with iLife '06 with some mind-blowing upgrades to GarageBand, iPhoto and iMovie and I'm there!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 64
aimed at females? what the hell? no.

keep the ibook for the females, leave us our manly powerbooks!
post #6 of 64
Lightweight laptops?...awesome...I'm tired of carrying around this brick of a TiBook....
post #7 of 64
If they are actually as light as this article suggests (and I'm not getting my hopes up) I'm definitely getting on. Oh yeah!
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
-- Candidas
(Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare)
post #8 of 64
But are thes PB's or iB's?

If they are Pb's, then they are truely light. If they are iB's, then they are lighter, but nowhere near what Sony and others are offering at 2.5 lbs, and lighter.

What bothers me though, is this idea of a 13.3" widescreen unit taking over the top spot.

A 13.3" widescreen is MUCH smaller than a 14.1" standard screen.

If you look at the diagonal of a 14.1, and move the ruler from one corner diagonal to the other, and slide the end of the ruler up the side of the screen until you get to a 16:10 format, you will see that the screen is much smaller. Is this what most people will really want? Even with higher rez?

The standard 12" will actually have more area.
post #9 of 64
makes sense to really REALLY make a laptop that instantly reminds potential buyers/switchers of an iPod...

So... lets see... umm, glossy black and white models? some polished metal here or there? and really really pushing it, maybe an integrated iTunes controller like on iPod that can be used system wide... or maybe just use the thumbpad as an iPod type controller...

boh...
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO

So... lets see... umm, glossy black and white models? some polished metal here or there?

Let's hope it won't scratch as easily as the iPods.
post #11 of 64
I don't know why this type of banality is news worthy?!
Of course that's how much they'll weigh because that's how much Intel based laptops weigh!
Wow, you really do need to be an analyst to be so smart...

Quote:
The reliability of the analyst's predictions are unknown.

Then why bother reporting it?
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by skatman
I don't know why this type of banality is news worthy?!
Of course that's how much they'll weigh because that's how much Intel based laptops weigh!
Wow, you really do need to be an analyst to be so smart...

Then why bother reporting it?

Because this is a RUMORS site, and there is an interest in rumors hers?
post #13 of 64
Wouldn't a lighter laptop really lure business travellers, not women. Not sure where this female thing comes from.
post #14 of 64
I used a 3 pound IBM ThinkPad X Series before switching to a PB and it was a great size for business travel - especially on overseas business trips. I don't think Apple will pass up this market, even if it is held to the 12" iBooks and 12" PBs. Most people will have no problem with an external optical drive if that approach is necessary, which was the case with the X Series.

We'll know 3 weeks from tomorrow, but I can see Apple blowing our minds with the Mactels - especially in the notebook ranges.
Ken
Ken
post #15 of 64
I don't get how these people can know this in such detail.

Either there are some seriously loose lips at Apple.

Or these guys are just talking out their a**.
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Louzer
Wouldn't a lighter laptop really lure business travellers, not women. Not sure where this female thing comes from.

I think it would be good for both.

Remember where this is coming from. The far east. They think of women's needs more than we do here.
post #17 of 64
Isnt this the same news as two weeks ago? And the same news as a week ago? And the same news as...
post #18 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
Remember where this is coming from. The far east. They think of women's needs more than we do here.

This isn't about women's "needs" like low weight or thinness. The original quote from the article is "light-weight models with a stylish design aimed at luring female users." It's female-targeted style that would be off-putting to men. Not many businessmen want to carry a "girly" laptop.

I'm definitely hoping for something thin and light to replace my 12" PB. 5 pounds is just too much for such a small machine. Now if Apple were to surprise the analysts (as they've done before) with an even lighter machine, say a 2.5 pounder, they'd have to beat customers off with a stick. And that includes me.
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Slotracer152
Lightweight laptops?...awesome...I'm tired of carrying around this brick of a TiBook....

I hear ya brother! I've been using a TiBook that I bought used on line 2 years ago and I still think it is the best laptop ever designed!!

Apple could go right back to it and make it an 11 incher, keyboard width and widescreen ratio and it would be better than the Vaio's that seem to be the best in that segment. I haven't used a Thinkpad, but they always seemed like plastic toys to me even though their size and that retractable-ish keyboard was innovative.

The current PBooks especially the 12" are still great values and power to size and I see tons of people with iBooks, but it think Apple can afford to brighten the metals to beyond matte aluminum. Get some anodized black and red in the mix and they could recreate the buzz of the early iMacs.

I think the light notebooks need an iBook and PBook versions - one for execs and one for the iPod folks.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #20 of 64
Lighter sounds good. But I can't really go any smaller.

Those sub sized Sony's are too small and my hands are too large.

I wouldn't mind being able to write on the screen.
post #21 of 64
Quote:

It is getting silly though and we've still weeks to go before MWSF.

I think everything bar a PowerMac update has been rumoured now and some of it is just totally impossible. It'll be dual-core Yonah Shuffles with holographic video screens next.
post #22 of 64
Quote:

I say again, there is a difference between RUMORS and banality!
If the same analyst said that Apple will design a 12'' notebook that weighs 8 lb because they want Mac users to be fit, that would a rumor. =)
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by ZO
makes sense to really REALLY make a laptop that instantly reminds potential buyers/switchers of an iPod...

True... now that you say it, it's obvious. Well done for saying it

If you look at the newest iPod's (video) you can almost imagine that same sort of look and feel for the base of an iBook - a bevelled metallic bottom with the black (or white) flat top. Very interesting if they make the iBook feel like an iPod
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
This isn't about women's "needs" like low weight or thinness. The original quote from the article is "light-weight models with a stylish design aimed at luring female users." It's female-targeted style that would be off-putting to men. Not many businessmen want to carry a "girly" laptop.

I'm definitely hoping for something thin and light to replace my 12" PB. 5 pounds is just too much for such a small machine. Now if Apple were to surprise the analysts (as they've done before) with an even lighter machine, say a 2.5 pounder, they'd have to beat customers off with a stick. And that includes me.

Style is important too. But it's the weight that will matter the most. If it's too heavy, it won't matter how it looks.
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
It'll be dual-core Yonah Shuffles with holographic video screens next. [/B]

You heard that one too?
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by skatman
I say again, there is a difference between RUMORS and banality!
If the same analyst said that Apple will design a 12'' notebook that weighs 8 lb because they want Mac users to be fit, that would a rumor. =)

That would be a dumb rumor.

It's true that some of these rumors are banal.

But look at how much posting it has garnered already!
post #27 of 64
Quote:
You heard that one too?

I'm sure if we repeat it carefully enough you can get pretty much anything up on the Apple rumour sites.

Have you heard there's references to Sun's new Niagara chip in the December ADC doc updates and Apple are switching to using ZFS in Leopard?
post #28 of 64
And they're going to make one out of heavy-gauge tool steel that weighs 50 pounds and includes a chainsaw and a router, not one of them sissy electronic packet traffic cop, but a real woodworking tool.

That will appeal to the real men!
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
And they're going to make one out of heavy-gauge tool steel that weighs 50 pounds and includes a chainsaw and a router, not one of them sissy electronic packet traffic cop, but a real woodworking tool.

That will appeal to the real men!

I would say that the Panasonic Toughbook would be the closest to that you can get and still be useful, they are pretty impressive units.
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM
I would say that the Panasonic Toughbook would be the closest to that you can get and still be useful, they are pretty impressive units.

Except that they aren't that tough. A friend of mine has killed 2 in six months. The first one took a header off a coffee table and never recovered from severe head and neck injuries. The second was left on the roof of his car. Services will be this Saturday.
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffDM

What? The biggest one only weighs 3.4 lbs! Unless there's a good chance you'll slip a disc or get a hernia, real he-men will just scoff. And where are the power tools?!
post #32 of 64
I did a little search and found that Gorilla Systems makes a "ruggedized" laptop that weighs over 10 pounds. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Now Apple just needs to make one carved from a solid chunk of tungsten that weighs in at 25 lbs and they're in business. That's be a real man's computer!
post #33 of 64
Quote:
But are thes PB's or iB's?
A 13.3" widescreen is MUCH smaller than a 14.1" standard screen.

The 14" iBook must have the lowest-resolution laptop screen on the market. Spec-wise, it dates from 1996 or so. Seriously.

So, yeah, it will be smaller, but you can bet that it will be much higher density.
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by macFanDave
What? The biggest one only weighs 3.4 lbs! Unless there's a good chance you'll slip a disc or get a hernia, real he-men will just scoff. And where are the power tools?!

You're looking at the wrong Toughbooks. The fully ruggedized MILSPEC-compliant ones like the Toughbook-29 weigh about 8 pounds. It'll also survive a full cycle in your washer and dryer. Maybe even top rack in your dishwasher.
post #35 of 64
"Yang believes the "fondness effect" ..."

WTF?

fondness effect. ?!

Hey first is was the RDF then the HALO

NOW coming to an apple store the

"fondness effect"

Yeah mac are cool the ipod is a runaway smash but damn... I aint going to buy my next laptop because Im "fond" of my ipod... The real buyers of mac gear are actually here at ai ... and will be here after all the ipod newbees start compaining about SOMETHING. My to focus my post FAFA ( fuck all financial anaylsts) Apple makes stuff that works we buy it. When will these middle management wankers get that.

Sorry in short: Yang is a wanker.
post #36 of 64
Didn't apple recruit some sony guys a few months back to help design? If that's true then they probably are looking to give the viao a run for it's money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
Have you heard there's references to Sun's new Niagara chip in the December ADC doc updates and Apple are switching to using ZFS in Leopard? [/B]

Just now!

But I'll be sure to quote you.
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by IntlHarvester
[B]The 14" iBook must have the lowest-resolution laptop screen on the market. Spec-wise, it dates from 1996 or so. Seriously.

No, lots of PC laptops come in at 1024 x 768. But even a lot of the cheap ones have 14" screens.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolchak
You're looking at the wrong Toughbooks. The fully ruggedized MILSPEC-compliant ones like the Toughbook-29 weigh about 8 pounds. It'll also survive a full cycle in your washer and dryer. Maybe even top rack in your dishwasher.

Here's a monster, the Alien. They don't even tell you the weight, though it must be somewhere on the site. I think they don't want you to know.

And they call it a "notebook"!

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-EXTREME
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally posted by ecking
Didn't apple recruit some sony guys a few months back to help design? If that's true then they probably are looking to give the viao a run for it's money.

How can you ever compare johnathon ive skills with that of the designers of the vaio?... Its at fairly wide held view that Apple is KING of industrial design....
The vaio is well designed but nothing is quite like a powerbook in comparison.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Report: Apple to unveil light-weight notebook models in '06