or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › I feel offended by holiday greetings...

I feel offended by holiday greetings... - Page 2

post #41 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
I'm sure you would have no problem with people decorating their homes and offices as they saw fit.

Everything you've ever posted here suggests that you would flip out if they started doing it at the courthouse.

Of course, it's pretty unlikely they're going to be celebrating Tet down at the Texas DMV, so I guess you're free to make claims.

However, I will bear your new found multi-cultural sensitivities in mind the next time you wax xenophobic.

I think that he would deal with it almost as well as Australian Surfers deal with Lebanese people on the beach.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #42 of 206
I am very open minded to other religions. I like to talk to people from other religions and try to see where we have common ground and where we do not. It is amazing to me how much Jews, Christians and Muslims share, yet we have so many problems with each other. I am in favor of open display and discussion of religion. This is very different from mandated religion.

I feel a rap coming on. Nah
Moe has left the building
post #43 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by Moe_in_Texas
I am very open minded to other religions. I like to talk to people from other religions and try to see where we have common ground and where we do not. It is amazing to me how much Jews, Christians and Muslims share, yet we have so many problems with each other. I am in favor of open display and discussion of religion. This is very different from mandated religion.

I feel a rap coming on. Nah

You know what. Tell me why you would think that Jews, Christians and Muslims would be that different from eachother?

Why do you even have to state that OMG we are so like eachother?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #44 of 206
A big mural of Joseph Smith's finding the sacred plates of Nephi in the Moe's hometown courthouse would look nice. Maybe have a part with Jesus among the Native Americans?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #45 of 206
Quote:
The anti-Christmas leftist bed wetters are amazing. Butch up and stop being so sensitive! I am a Christian and there is a Menorah in front of my building at this moment! Do you think I care? Of course not! I actually like seeing it each morning and evening. Let the Muslims and the Hindus and the Buddhists put up their celebrations. I can appreciate them all. Man, I am tired of whiny bed wetters.

What anti-Christmas leftists? Who the f*ck are you talking about? THERE ARE NO ANTI-CHRISTMAS LEFTISTS! Just the one's you and your favorite talk show hosts MADE UP!

FARK!

So let me go join my liberal brothers so we can go embark on this fake war and...go buy more presents for my family.

Stupid assholes. All of them. (Conservatives who buy into this crap, I mean...not my family).

Edited: to be specific.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #46 of 206
Quote:
Good example of what Ima talking about

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=3745769

The article refers to "a few non-Christians" who are complaining. There's absolutely no mention of liberals or Democrats in that article.

You sure have a nasty habit of connecting dots that don't necessarily connect.

Or maybe that dastardly George Soros is secretly funding their petition.

You guys are unbelievable.
post #47 of 206
How about the generic "happy shopping and materialistic excess". It is now the universal way in which we-the-vast-majority celebrate this time of year, myself included. I trust nobody feels uncomfortable with it?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #48 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by sammi jo
How about the generic "happy shopping and materialistic excess". It is now the universal way in which we-the-vast-majority celebrate this time of year, myself included. I trust nobody feels uncomfortable with it?

"We guard our world with locks and guns
And we guard our fine possessions
And once a year when christmas comes
We give to our relations
And perhaps we give a little to the poor
If the generosity should seize us
But if any one of us should interfere
In the business of why they are poor
They get the same as the rebel jesus"
post #49 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by midwinter
"We guard our world with locks and guns
And we guard our fine possessions
And once a year when christmas comes
We give to our relations
And perhaps we give a little to the poor
If the generosity should seize us
But if any one of us should interfere
In the business of why they are poor
They get the same as the rebel jesus"

As a liberal democrat, I feel that we should encourage all viewpoints, religious beleifs and expression as possible, it can only make us more tolerant and better people in the end. I am saddened when other progressives move to leave such activities out of our rich and diverse culture.
post #50 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by me.liley
As a liberal democrat, I feel that we should encourage all viewpoints, religious beleifs and expression as possible, it can only make us more tolerant and better people in the end. I am saddened when other progressives move to leave such activities out of our rich and diverse culture.

Was there a memo that went around saying that not wanting a big replica of the ten commandments on a courthouse lawn, or a nativity scene on the courthouse lawn meant that people were intolerant of religion? You want a big ten commandments in your yard? Go for it! You want a nativity scene in your business's lawn? Groovy cool.

Now, if gov't celebrated every religious holiday, I'd be all for it.
post #51 of 206
Quote:

As a libertarian, I feel everyone is free to believe in whatever they want to and take part in the rites they want to. Personal and collective displays of religion are okay anywhere. I wouldn't mind a courthouse clerk bringing to work and putting up a Ten Commandments stone tablet to decorate his workspace, for example. The only thing I wouldn't appreciate is official religious celebration/decoration/whatever by the government. They have no business whatsoever taxing others to further their own personal choice of religion.
post #52 of 206
Quote:
Was there a memo that went around saying that not wanting a big replica of the ten commandments on a courthouse lawn, or a nativity scene on the courthouse lawn meant that people were intolerant of religion? You want a big ten commandments in your yard? Go for it! You want a nativity scene in your business's lawn? Groovy cool.

I wan't my Sukka on the court house lawn.
post #53 of 206
Quote:

I'm with you, but at every Democratic Party meeting I go to it seams that we are more fighting for exclusion rather than inclusion.

I tried to start a petition to get a jewish and a muslim holiday included as a national or at least a state holiday. I was shot down for supporting sanctioning relegious holidays.

My party needs to get back to embracing religion, or at least tolerate it, if it wants to gain power again in this country.

I know many new democrats don't want to hear that, but it's true. No offence.
post #54 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by hardeeharhar
You know what. Tell me why you would think that Jews, Christians and Muslims would be that different from eachother?

Why do you even have to state that OMG we are so like eachother?

I was referring to the common root of our faiths, not our similarity as humans.
post #55 of 206
Quote:
I was referring to the common root of our faiths, not our similarity as humans.

Again, is it surprising that Judaism became Christianity and Christianity became (with some permutations) Islam?

I would hope most people know that.
post #56 of 206
Quote:
I'm with youe, but at every Democratic Party meeting I go to it seams that we are more fighting for exclusion rather than inclusion.

I tried to start a petition to get a jewish and a muslim holiday included as a national or at least a state holiday. I was shot down for supporting sanctioning relegious holidays.

My part needs to get back to embracing religion, or at least tolerate it, if it wants to gain power again in this country.

I know many new democrats don't want to hear that, but it's true. No offence.

Are you a mole? Because most liberals and most Democrats that I know ARE christians or jews. I don't have any statistics in front of me, but if the Drudge report is correct and 90% of the nation believes in god, then that percentage would cover the majority of Democrats too, would it not?

Again, this "controversy" about Democrats being godless and anti-religion is NOT, I repeat NOT, because of anything Democrats have or have not been doing. This is a measured, calculated, wedge issue designed by Carl Rove and dispatched via the GOP's well oiled misinformation machine.

I just think it's briliantly clever how Republicans have turned the word "tolerance" into "anti-religious".

And you've bought right into it. If you are who you say you are.
post #57 of 206
Quote:
Again, is it surprising that Judaism became Christianity and Christianity became (with some permutations) Islam?

I would hope most people know that.

I don't think most know where Islam originated. My dismay is not with the commom roots, it is with the fact that we so seldom see eye to eye despite our common roots.
post #58 of 206
Quote:
I don't think most know where Islam originated. My dismay is not with the commom roots, it is with the fact that we so seldom see eye to eye despite our common roots.

What are you talking about?

How do Jews and Christians and Muslims disagree with each other on a day to day basis, at least withing the US?

Outside of the US, it is a much harder tale to weave...
post #59 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by Northgate
Are you a mole? Because most liberals and most Democrats that I know ARE christians or jews. I don't have any statistics in front of me, but if the Drudge report is correct and 90% of the nation believes in god, then that percentage would cover the majority of Democrats too, would it not?

Again, this "controversy" about Democrats being godless and anti-religion is NOT, I repeat NOT, because of anything Democrats have or have not been doing. This is a measured, calculated, wedge issue designed by Carl Rove and dispatched via the GOP's well oiled misinformation machine.

I just think it's briliantly clever how Republicans have turned the word "tolerance" into "anti-religious".

And you've bought right into it. If you are who you say you are.

Yes, of course. I'm a mole.

That is exactly what I should expect, when I start moving away from the party line.

I grew up celebrating christmas and have many happy memories of it, in school, in church, inb the courthouse in my hometown. Not one person was harmed during those celebrations, not one.

Who could honestly be offended by people getting together and enjoying life? Not me my friend. At least they are'nt bickering about how to great ech other when they enter a K-Mart.
post #60 of 206
Quote:
While we're at it, you know, making shit up. I was wondering, before this phony war on Christmas began, when was the last time you ran into a liberal who made you feel like crap for celebrating Christmas? Honestly. When was the last time you were asked to take down your Christmas lights? Seriously. How many churches in your neighborhood have shut down or closed their doors or stopped having mass because of a massive coordinated campaign by liberals? While we're at it, who was the last "news reporter" or "journalist" to get on national television and imply that you and your crazy Christian values are destroying the nation? Did Larry King or Keith Olbermann or Anderson Cooper or Chris Matthews or any left leaning news anchor intentionally embark on a anti-Christian crusade? Ever?

OK. I'm a Texas liberal. [oxymoron?] We're the guys who want government meddling in everything, right? My town is run by Texas Conservatives. They don't want government running their business.

Interesting that the government run by my conservative fellows won't allow me to buy a beer, or if I can buy a beer, I can't buy a bottle of Jim. They threw out a science book because it capitalized Earth. Only Heaven can be capitalized, they said. They are trying to ban books that don't teach what most of us thought we were supposed to learn in Sunday School, not public school. I could go on and on about how their government infringes on my private life every day.

I am actually fairly conservative (except in political party). Seems like the Conservatives really don't want anyone ELSE running our lives. Since they have all of the answers, it is only natural that they want to run everything. Their Gig-net apparently connects straight to God--you know, the only one. No extra point on the star, no crescent, literally "their" god.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein
post #61 of 206
Quote:

That is exactly what I should expect, when I start moving away from the party line.

I grew up celebrating christmas and have many happy memories of it, in school, in church, inb the courthouse in my hometown. Not one person was harmed during those celebrations, not one.

Who could honestly be offended by people getting together and enjoying life? Not me my friend. At least they are'nt bickering about how to great ech other when they enter a K-Mart.

No one, outside of Bill O'Reilly, is bickering about how to great each other when they enter a K-Mart.

I think it's nice to hear you had happy memories of celebrating Christmas in your church, and I assume that goes for your home as well, and the homes of your relatives and friends. It's true that public schools have become less likely to "celebrate Christmas", but that hardly precludes anyone doing up Christmas just as big as they want.

I have to admit that I'm startled to learn that you have fond memories of celebrating Christmas at the courthouse. Nothing to traumatic, I trust.

I grow automatically suspicious when I hear people who are sharing in a majoritorian custom start telling me that "no one could possibly be offended", which sounds less descriptive than prescriptive. This happens in this culture every time there is an expansion of who gets to say what is "OK", as when men insisted that no woman could possibly be offended by being told she had nice tits, as it was a compliment.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #62 of 206
Quote:

Again, my point goes right past you. Which is why I suspect you are not who claim to be.

I grew up celebrating Christmas too. And I have fond memories of all my Christmas celebrations. I had some last year. I plan on having more this weekend.

And, yes, who could possibly be offended by people getting together and enjoying life? Seriously? Who actually is offended? No one I know of. And I live in one of the most liberal cities in America. And we're all running around buying Christmas gifts, hanging lights, shopping for groceries for this weekend's feasts. No war on Christmas around here. No protests. No controversies. And if ground zero for The War on Christmas were going to be anywhere, it'd be here!

And who exactly is bickering about K-Mart greetings anyway? I nor anyone else I know has ever complained about such nonsense.

You seem so distraut over...well, nothing. Why do you give so much credence to bafoon blowhards creating mock controversies like Bill O'Reilly anyway? Why do listen to them? Why do you believe them?

Unless you're pretending to be someone you're not in order to paint a picture of a Democrat who also believes this War on Christmas is a sad reality. This, of course, would give further credence to Conservatives who are laughing hysterically at their new found phony wedge issue.
post #63 of 206
OH NO. The war on Christmas has moved to the white house

Go to the last twenty seconds of this.
"I reject your reality and substitute it with my own" - President Bush
post #64 of 206
Quote:
Again, my point goes right past you. Which is why I suspect you are not who claim to be.

I grew up celebrating Christmas too. And I have fond memories of all my Christmas celebrations. I had some last year. I plan on having more this weekend.

And, yes, who could possibly be offended by people getting together and enjoying life? Seriously? Who actually is offended? No one I know of. And I live in one of the most liberal cities in America. And we're all running around buying Christmas gifts, hanging lights, shopping for groceries for this weekend's feasts. No war on Christmas around here. No protests. No controversies. And if ground zero for The War on Christmas were going to be anywhere, it'd be here!

And who exactly is bickering about K-Mart greetings anyway? I nor anyone else I know has ever complained about such nonsense.

You seem so distraut over...well, nothing. Why do you give so much credence to bafoon blowhards creating mock controversies like Bill O'Reilly anyway? Why do listen to them? Why do you believe them?

Unless you're pretending to be someone you're not in order to paint a picture of a Democrat who also believes this War on Christmas is a sad reality. This, of course, would give further credence to Conservatives who are laughing hysterically at their new found phony wedge issue.

I could care less what that blowhard says. Congress voted on this very issue and many polls show an overwhelming sentiment that christmas and other religious beleifs are being attacked. This obviously means nothing to you. I'm pretty liberal myself, but when my party attacks something as innocent as Christmas, simply to make conservitives who are fellow belivers by the way look radical to make themselves look moderate something is seriously amiss in my so called big tent party.

As to your comment about where you live... why would you have to convert the converted? The war is going on in conservitive strongholds like texas and the heartland. Come on, you know how we do things, we go right to the heart of the enemy - use the courts and gain victories. Open your eyes, our party is attacking Christmas and and religion claiming these things might offend some unknown person it can only backfire. When 90% say they are religious, attacking their beliefs is nothing but a bad idea.

Acknowledging the problem is the first step to fiing it.
post #65 of 206
Who is attacking anything??

NOBODY!
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #66 of 206
Quote:
I could care less what that blowhard says. Congress voted on this very issue and many polls show an overwhelming sentiment that christmas and other religious beleifs are being attacked. This obviously means nothing to you. I'm pretty liberal myself, but when my party attacks something as innocent as Christmas, simply to make conservitives who are fellow belivers by the way look radical to make themselves look moderate something is seriously amiss in my so called big tent party.

As to your comment about where you live... why would you have to convert the converted? The war is going on in conservitive strongholds like texas and the heartland. Come on, you know how we do things, we go right to the heart of the enemy - use the courts and gain victories. Open your eyes, our party is attacking Christmas and and religion claiming these things might offend some unknown person it can only backfire. When 90% say they are religious, attacking their beliefs is nothing but a bad idea.

Christmas really isn't under attack by anyone. Not even by the disgruntled Jews.
post #67 of 206
Really. Dude.

Christmas is under attack by Democrats? And it makes you sad for "your" party? And your evidence is that "polls" show that people think this for real and the Republican Congress saw fit to exploit yet another wedge issue?

Bullshit. I'm gonna go with Northgate on this one. Your so-called sorrow doesn't pass the smell test. Neither does your defense: "Of course you attack me for not toeing the party line, just what I expected".

Why not just go whole hog and post something along the lines of "Christ, it sickens me to be a Democrat, we are such hypocritical, Christmas hating bastards. And that carries some real weight, seeings as I, myself, am, you know, a Democrat".
post #68 of 206
Quote:

I am now more convinced than anything that you are trolling here. No offense. I honestly don't believe you are who you say you are. You've only posted four times and all of them are in this thread.

"...our party is attacking Christmas.." Please prove this. Links?

Who's attacking people of religion? Last I checked it was people of religion attacking liberals. But that's to be expected. Liberals threaten them. So they create stupid, phony, madeup controversies like this one.

Just because a Republican screams it, doesn't make it so.
post #69 of 206
Quote:
Who's attacking people of religion? Last I checked it was people of religion attacking liberals. But that's to be expected. Liberals threaten them. So they create stupid, phony, madeup controversies like this one.

Just because a Republican screams it, doesn't make it so.

That should be the final word on this one.

Where is a LOCK when we need one.
post #70 of 206
Folks of faith (especially Christians) are continuously fighting off anti-religion attacks. The holiday party, happy holidays and the banned Nativity scene are all examples of this. This is part of a comprehensive plan orchestrated by the Communist Party. Their goal is to eventually remove all signs of religion from our society.
post #71 of 206
Quote:
Folks of faith (especially Christians) are continuously fighting off anti-religion attacks. The holiday party, happy holidays and the banned Nativity scene are all examples of this. This is part of a comprehensive plan orchestrated by the Communist Party. Their goal is to eventually remove all signs of religion from our society.

Holiday party is not offensive in the least. I don't honestly think it really is implying a holiday party for all cultures, do you? Hanukah swings over a two month period owing to the lunar calender and all that, so it can't possibly mean Hanukah and Christmas every year, can it? No. No, it must be refering to our New Years Holiday. You know, the one that is always 6 days after Christmas?

Do you see how idiotic the logic behind the anti-happy holiday buzz is?

BTW, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it was Corporate American that created the slogans Happy Holidays and Holiday Party... so if you are going to blame anyone blame the Capitalists.
post #72 of 206
Quote:

Bigotry is sad, and never more so than when guised as faith.
When Christianity was the majority religion in our government (It never was in our country), our founders nonetheless tried to make sure we respected other religions.
The bigots hated the multicultural growth invited by "Give me your poor...."
Irish, Jews, Germans, Italians, Puerto Ricans all had their turn at receiving hatred. Why? Not because of their religion, but because of bigotry.
The nature of today's expansion includes not just multicultural but also multireligious populations.
The hazard in being the majority is that many Christian holydays have also become American institutions.
Holiday parties and happy holidays are absolutely appropriate in a multicultural/religious country.
The founders would have been outraged if mandatory Public School had become mandatory Sunday School. That's what many of them left in England: a State-sanctioned (established) religion.
Antidisestablishmentarianism has degernerated into common bigotry.
We can't say kike, wop, mackrelsnapper, or spick, so we group them all as communist liberals.
Ironically, those who most revere the name Jesus have the least regard for his nature. Can you imagine the man described in the New Testament spewing the words that come out of your mouth?
post #73 of 206
Quote:

What utter bullshit.
post #74 of 206
Quote:
BTW, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, it was Corporate American that created the slogans Happy Holidays and Holiday Party... so if you are going to blame anyone blame the Capitalists.

Ding ding ding. That's exactly what has happened. If anything, political correctness is what happened.

But that won't sway the dittoheads. They're determined to tar and feather liberals as anti-religious, even if it means making shit up. And if you prove that they're full of it, it doesn't matter. They've made up their minds.

They'd probably love to be able to stitch a yellow "L" on our lapels and ask "papers, please!"
post #75 of 206

Click pic to send one...
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
post #76 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by curiousuburb

Oh no! Another communist liberal!

First it was the multiethnic, then it was the multicultural, along came the multireligious, and NOW the multiplanetary.

We are doomed!
post #77 of 206
Quote:

Careful Moe. There's plausible "I am a throwback to the John Birchers or yore" and then there's just trolling.
post #78 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by addabox
. . . and then there's just trolling.

You know him better than I, but why do you think he is trolling? Here in Texas, what he is saying is mild.
I could have the same conversation at a thousand truck stops and small cafes the length and width.
Anti-Everybody-Who-Doesn't-Look-Think-Pray-Like-Me is as common as biscuits 'n gravy.
post #79 of 206
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike0919
You know him better than I, but why do you think he is trolling? Here in Texas, what he is saying is mild.
I could have the same conversation at a thousand truck stops and small cafes the length and width.
Anti-Everybody-Who-Doesn't-Look-Think-Pray-Like-Me is as common as biscuits 'n gravy.

What a sad sad reality.
post #80 of 206
Ah come on. Moe is pulling your collective leg. Please grant him the honour of having a brain for Christ sake.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › I feel offended by holiday greetings...