or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources: Intel developing next-generation Power Mac for Apple

Sources: Intel developing next-generation Power Mac for Apple - Page 6

post #201 of 348
note that the nearest font family i can find for the new "intel" word is called "Prosper" -- one of those in the family http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/agfa/prosper/ and of course modified slightly in the final cut by the logo designer

edit: actually i think it may all be based on "Ubik"
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/presencetypo/ubik/
post #202 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by melgross
That's amusing. I understand quite well. You should learn something about business before you say that.

Actually I am only about 4 years younger than you and have been a consultant at board level to several US based multinationals. As I understand it you were a photographer. Fuck off.
post #203 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
mmmmm "right"?? But paying ~ $100 for a text editor is?

Yah I didn't mean it was going to be problem... I just found it funny is all.

You pay for what you need. You can get freeware as well.
post #204 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by TenoBell
I agree that at this point MS pulling Office for Mac would be bad.

Office is just too ubiquitous. I know a couple people who use Mac's and don't have Word and cannot open Word documents. Trust me it sucks for them.

I've got Word but I still email people back asking them to send me it in something other than Word format. Usually it results in a much smaller PDF file and the next time they don't send me huge files either. It's my bit of social engineering. Less viruses, smaller mail and no closed file formats.
post #205 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by emig647
Whats wrong with open office and pages??? I use open office exclusively *shrugs*

EDIT: Forgot to mention they have a native version of open office for those of you who didn't know. Its still in development stages but I haven't had problems... yet. Download Open Office There is always the version that runs in x11 that works well. But this is native... yay.

Anyways... to get this thread back on topic. This is great news and I can't wait for the desktops to come out. But I don't know if I will ever go to one again... this powerbook has been way too useful to go back to desktop.

well... intel may have built motherboards with firewire 400... but I doubt 800... =)

openoffice.org 2.0+ on windoze is awesome. neooffice is still pretty 'orrible....
post #206 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by aegisdesign
I've got Word but I still email people back asking them to send me it in something other than Word format. Usually it results in a much smaller PDF file and the next time they don't send me huge files either. It's my bit of social engineering. Less viruses, smaller mail and no closed file formats.

i'm suddenly getting some stupid rubbish "compile autoexec error" or something in Excel for Mac latest version

i've more or less written off office on windows, as i mentioned above openoffice.org 2.0+ does the job fine for what i need.
post #207 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
openoffice.org 2.0+ on windoze is awesome. neooffice is still pretty 'orrible....

I think that's the crux of it on the Mac. OpenOffice looks like a Windows application from the 90s and doesn't sit in well with the Mac. On Windows it just looks a little dated because MS Office is still quite dated looking. On Linux, they seem to think emulating Windows from the 90s *is* the height of fashion.

Apart from that, it's HUGE and slow in comparison to MS Office although it does crash less.
post #208 of 348
I apologize if anyone has already posted this link, but here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051230/tc_nm/intel_dc

Confirmation that Intel is making a new marketing push.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #209 of 348
Quote:
I think Apple is trying to trademark "Mactel".

As of yesterday USPTO said there are no existing and now I guess its up to Apple to get it ®?

EDIT - I've posted the USPTO pdf's on this into two other threads, apparently USPTO wants Apple to be more specific WRT "computer software" in the trademark application (somehow I missed it previously).

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #210 of 348
Apple Core Duo and Apple Core Solo?

Whew, now we're really coming close to the Apple Corps Quartet...
post #211 of 348
Quote:
So, if MS stopped development, there might be little Apple could do.

Darwine, Dual-Booting, Virtualization are a few solutions to this possible problem.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated,...
post #212 of 348
Quote:
So, you now speak for businesses who do use those very products on their Mac's?

I hate to agree with him, but my small company uses a self-created, half-baked solution based on Excel and Word.
post #213 of 348
(excepted from Paul Otellini interview in BusinessWeek)

BusinessWeek Online: Tell me about the Apple (AAPL ) relationship. You struck the deal in June for them to use Intel chips, which was something of a coup. What does that mean for Intel?

Paul Otellini: At the end of the day, we live to sell chips. First and foremost, it's market-expanding for us. Secondly, as I said at the developers' forum, the thing that Apple really brings to the Intel family of customers is their innovation. They [have an] ability to not just mix hardware and software, which is unique, but also to drop software upgrades rather frequently to take advantage of hardware changes.

I think what [Apple CEO] Steve [Jobs] said at the forum is they've dropped five releases of the operating system in the last four years. That alone is very appealing. [When it comes to design], they are a front-runner -- people copy some of their design elements. I believe as they start taking advantage of some of our lower-power products...it will drive a trend toward smaller, cheaper, cooler.

Me (SpamSandwich): Sounds like Otellini doesn't mind sticking it to Microsoft now!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #214 of 348
(another excerpt)

BWO: Which technologies, platforms, most excite you personally?

Paul Otellini: I actually think Viiv is a world changer. Independent of the hardware as it evolves, it's DRM-agnostic, but it protects everything. It allows you to move things in a free fashion, but still maintain the desire of the content owners to get paid for what they do. It will change the business models of entertainment and theaters and Hollywood, and it will be for the benefit of consumers.

(back to me...)

Doesn't this indicate that Intel will be directly competing in Apple's new playground of digital video & entertainment products? Maybe next week the whole thing will make sense.... hmmm... Maybe Mactel is the name of the new spinoff company, not just a marketing gimmick...

...as in, "Would you like fries with that Mactel"?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #215 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by SpamSandwich
(another excerpt)

BWO: Which technologies, platforms, most excite you personally?

Paul Otellini: I actually think Viiv is a world changer. Independent of the hardware as it evolves, it's DRM-agnostic, but it protects everything. It allows you to move things in a free fashion, but still maintain the desire of the content owners to get paid for what they do. It will change the business models of entertainment and theaters and Hollywood, and it will be for the benefit of consumers.

(back to me...)

Doesn't this indicate that Intel will be directly competing in Apple's new playground of digital video & entertainment products? Maybe next week the whole thing will make sense.... hmmm... Maybe Mactel is the name of the new spinoff company, not just a marketing gimmick...

...as in, "Would you like fries with that Mactel"?

The article is a worthy read. This sounds like it isn't "your father's Intel" anymore. Seems like it could be a great "partnership" for Apple. Let's hope Apple doesn't find a way to screw it up.
post #216 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cuilla
The article is a worthy read. This sounds like it isn't "your father's Intel" anymore. Seems like it could be a great "partnership" for Apple. Let's hope Apple doesn't find a way to screw it up.

I agree. Apple has a way of poisoning business relationships. I can't figure out if that's all Steve's fault, or what.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #217 of 348
Quote:
Doesn't this indicate that Intel will be directly competing in Apple's new playground of digital video & entertainment products?

No more than they already do by selling their chips and platforms to all other PC companies. It'll be up to the Apples, Dells, Tivos and HPs to do the direct competing.
post #218 of 348
Quote:
I think that's the crux of it on the Mac. OpenOffice looks like a Windows application from the 90s and doesn't sit in well with the Mac. On Windows it just looks a little dated because MS Office is still quite dated looking. On Linux, they seem to think emulating Windows from the 90s *is* the height of fashion.

OT, but OO.o is meant to compete with/directly replace the business app, MS Office. Thus it looks and behaves like Office.

Linux UI's as a whole are very customizable, perhaps to a flaw, but look at art.gnome.org for a variety of themes which best Windows XP's fugliness.
post #219 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
[B]I hate to agree with him,

post #220 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R
OT, but OO.o is meant to compete with/directly replace the business app, MS Office. Thus it looks and behaves like Office.

Linux UI's as a whole are very customizable, perhaps to a flaw, but look at art.gnome.org for a variety of themes which best Windows XP's fugliness.

So compete with it, not become some lame copy of it. Apple didn't get where it is now by copying Windows.
post #221 of 348
Quote:
I agree. Apple has a way of poisoning business relationships. I can't figure out if that's all Steve's fault, or what.

I think it's just because Apple demand more of a partner than your average Dell's, HP's and Microsofts. That's a good thing most of the time.
post #222 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by fahlman
I hate to agree with him, but my small company uses a self-created, half-baked solution based on Excel and Word.

That's not to say you couldn't half bake a solution with something else like Filemaker and there's plenty of alternatives, or fully bake a solution in MYOB, MoneyWorks or the open source alternatives.
post #223 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by cubist
Apple Core Duo and Apple Core Solo?

Whew, now we're really coming close to the Apple Corps Quartet...

post #224 of 348
Just to emphasise Jonathan Ive's contribution to Apple's design success...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4569912.stm

He's now Jonathan Ive CBE

That's one below 'Sir Jonathan Ive'. Nice to see someone other than the usual TV celebs and sportsmen getting awards this year from the Queen.
post #225 of 348
Quote:

I seem to disagree with you often, but in this case we were in agreement.
post #226 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

A lot of linux desktops have looked like windos, and the KDE moreso, I think, anyway. But the linux world is getting the idea, especially from Apple's Mac OS, that there can be beauty, and so like you say, the UI is customisable, and even the K folk are changing. The Cairo and Arthur efforts will give them better graphic engines, and the Enlightenment(the former Gnome)r17 desktop is proceeding along well. They are not trying to look like windos, thankfully.
post #227 of 348
Quote:
I think it's just because Apple demand more of a partner than your average Dell's, HP's and Microsofts. That's a good thing most of the time.

I suppose that's one way to look at it.

Apple would certainly do themselves a favor by aligning with more quality business partners that support their long term goals. I'm pretty sure the Intel partnership is a step in the right direction.

They cannot remain a one-man-band. Remember where Apple was before Jobs came back, and where it could end up again if something happens to Jobs (god forbid). Don't forget, he had a rare form of cancer recently. Cancer has a way of coming back unexpectedly. They need a back-up person in the wings with Jobs' fire in the belly. Who would that be?

Apple would sink without Steve. THAT is not good for future business.

Just my 2 quid.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #228 of 348
Quote:
I suppose that's one way to look at it.

But Apple would certainly do themselves a favor by aligning with other quality business partners that support their long term goals. I'm pretty sure the Intel partnership is a step in the right direction.

They cannot remain a one-man-band forever. Remember where the company was before Jobs came back, and where it could go again if something happened to Jobs (god forbid). Don't forget, he had a rare form of cancer. Cancer has a way of coming back unexpectedly.

Apple would sink without Steve. THAT is not good for future business.

Just my 2 quid.

The step towards Intel is a HUGE step. Think about it Apple is having Intel design their PM MBs. Now that is something. Try and do that with IBM or MOTO and you will see Apple back to the $6,000 PM, that could lay claim to being maybe 10% faster than a $3,000 Dell. Intel is a great partner, and hopefully they will work great with Apple.

Also something else came up that we should take notice of, Steve supposedly wanted to go to Intel 4 or 5 years ago but Apple did not, which means that Steve is not solely running the show. The executive team appears to be running the show, which is good for investors. I like to see that Apple is being ran like a real company, not like "whatever Steve says that is what we do". I might also add that a telling rumor is that PIXAR could be up for sale by Jobs. If that is the case it is clear that he expects big things at Apple, or that he is tired of wearing two hats. If it is the former, which I'm more inclined to believe since Apple is making big moves says watch out during '06 and '07. Steve may feel that he is in a position to do what others never could do and wants to clear his schedule so he can better focus. I hope it is that.
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
Please consider throwing extra cycles at better understanding Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (CJD), ALS, and Parkinson's disease go here <a href="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_blank">http://folding....
post #229 of 348
That's pretty cool Sunilraman. A quad core PowerBook.

Apple will need to have such features and performance to compete at its current price points, profit margins, and reputation.
post #230 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by NordicMan
A lot of linux desktops have looked like windos, and the KDE moreso, I think, anyway. But the linux world is getting the idea, especially from Apple's Mac OS, that there can be beauty, and so like you say, the UI is customisable, and even the K folk are changing. The Cairo and Arthur efforts will give them better graphic engines, and the Enlightenment(the former Gnome)r17 desktop is proceeding along well. They are not trying to look like windos, thankfully.

I remember using the Enlightenment 'skin' on Irix OS back in the v5.x - v6.x days...

And commenting to our IT guy about how they needed to make things more transparent, add drop shadows, etc. ...

At the time he said, "I could do it. but it would take to much CPU cycles..."

So I would antagonize and ask for a way to pipe the input from the Indy camera to the desktop, so I could always see what was happening behind me...

He was a 'mad-skillz' OpenGL programmer...

Now, he cannot get enough of OS X & Quartz...!

Still won't do the live-action desktop for me though...
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
Late 2009 Unibody MacBook (modified)
2.26GHz Core 2 Duo CPU/8GB RAM/60GB SSD/500GB HDD
SuperDrive delete
post #231 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by MacRonin
I remember using the Enlightenment 'skin' on Irix OS back in the v5.x - v6.x days...

And commenting to our IT guy about how they needed to make things more transparent, add drop shadows, etc. ...

At the time he said, "I could do it. but it would take to much CPU cycles..."

So I would antagonize and ask for a way to pipe the input from the Indy camera to the desktop, so I could always see what was happening behind me...

He was a 'mad-skillz' OpenGL programmer...

Now, he cannot get enough of OS X & Quartz...!

Still won't do the live-action desktop for me though...

I would love to have an animated desktop picture while I work. Something as subtle as the breeze moving thru the trees or some clouds lazily moving across the sky...very slowly. Nothing too distracting. That would be nice.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #232 of 348
Quote:
That's not to say you couldn't half bake a solution with something else like Filemaker and there's plenty of alternatives, or fully bake a solution in MYOB, MoneyWorks or the open source alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Apple come up with something that could work for this purpose. And I've also been suggesting a Filemaker derivitive.

I just don't see a simple way around the ecosystem Office has. The API's have to be reverse engineered. You can see how difficult and time consuming that has been for the WINE project on x86. Otherwise, even if Apple took OpenOffice and reworked it (with all of the problems they would have with the GPL), they still wouldn't have the API's running on OS X. So the programs hooked into Office wouldn't work.

The problem here is that if MS decides to discontinue development of Office for the Mac, whatever Apple could come up with would then be competing with Office for Windows. Not with Office for the Mac. And, that's the problem.
post #233 of 348
Quote:
So compete with it, not become some lame copy of it. Apple didn't get where it is now by copying Windows.

post #234 of 348
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Apple come up with something that could work for this purpose. And I've also been suggesting a Filemaker derivitive.

I just don't see a simple way around the ecosystem Office has. The API's have to be reverse engineered. You can see how difficult and time consuming that has been for the WINE project on x86. Otherwise, even if Apple took OpenOffice and reworked it (with all of the problems they would have with the GPL), they still wouldn't have the API's running on OS X. So the programs hooked into Office wouldn't work.

The problem here is that if MS decides to discontinue development of Office for the Mac, whatever Apple could come up with would then be competing with Office for Windows. Not with Office for the Mac. And, that's the problem.

The APIs are the key, medium and large businesses use these to build custome solutions for their business needs, without them it is a waste of time. I think Vinney was on this path. As far as reverse engineering, forget that. As groups get close MS will alter and tweek the APIs so that you can never catch up. Better is that MS has embrased the XML file format. Any standard they embrace will make it wasy for others to work around. To be honest those custome solutions usually involve making Excel and Word work together, all though I'm sure that could be other combinations. The bottom line for Apple is that they do make software that integrates very well. If they made an Office suite that could integrate very well that would be a help. It is odd that all of this integration reminds me of one app - AppleWorks. If Apple could get a great spreadsheet, scientific graphing calc, writing, drawing, presentation, application that is highly integrated, it would be of value especially if it is highly scriptable. Oh I almost forgot, the one thing that AppleWorks had that others did not is a light database, integrated in as well, would not want to forget that. Apple has all of the tools it is just putting them together, assuming they actually do have "Cells".

I mucked up and made this addition a reply, sorry.
post #235 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by Brendon
The APIs are the key, medium and large businesses use these to build custome solutions for their business needs, without them it is a waste of time. I think Vinney was on this path. As far as reverse engineering, forget that. As groups get close MS will alter and tweek the APIs so that you can never catch up. Better is that MS has embrased the XML file format. Any standard they embrace will make it wasy for others to work around. To be honest those custome solutions usually involve making Excel and Word work together, all though I'm sure that could be other combinations. The bottom line for Apple is that they do make software that integrates very well. If they made an Office suite that could integrate very well that would be a help. It is odd that all of this integration reminds me of one app - AppleWorks. If Apple could get a great spreadsheet, scientific graphing calc, writing, drawing, presentation, application that is highly integrated, it would be of value especially if it is highly scriptable. Oh I almost forgot, the one thing that AppleWorks had that others did not is a light database, integrated in as well, would not want to forget that. Apple has all of the tools it is just putting them together, assuming they actually do have "Cells".
post #236 of 348
Quote:

Yes, and that's another good reason to not go crazy outsourcing things.
post #237 of 348
Originally posted by TenoBell
That's pretty cool Sunilraman. A quad core PowerBook.
Apple will need to have such features and performance to compete at its current price points, profit margins, and reputation.

thanks mate. yeah. it struck me as i was on my flight of CoreDuo fancy... i honestly really wish they will unveil one in a week's time, for all you professionals that need a powerful and valuable mobile mac. something like a quad core, slick form factor, and strong battery life powerBook would drive sales of apple's premiere laptop line all through the year. the pent-up demand for something like that would be massive, and price premiums would be quite justified...
post #238 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by Brendon
The step towards Intel is a HUGE step. Think about it Apple is having Intel design their PM MBs. Now that is something. Try and do that with IBM or MOTO and you will see Apple back to the $6,000 PM, that could lay claim to being maybe 10% faster than a $3,000 Dell. Intel is a great partner, and hopefully they will work great with Apple.

Except last time Moto and IBM produced motherboards back in the CHRP days, they were cheaper and faster than Apples.
post #239 of 348
Quote:
Except last time Moto and IBM produced motherboards back in the CHRP days, they were cheaper and faster than Apples.

Different times, way different. Currently the price difference for similar kit is nil, going from the Barefeets performance comparison.
post #240 of 348
Quote:
Originally posted by sunilraman
i honestly really wish they will unveil one in a week's time...

This is just a fantasy??? Correct? Did I miss something besides the picture you posted? I have been out of the AI loop for a few months...

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources: Intel developing next-generation Power Mac for Apple