Originally posted by onlooker
US Population = 295,734,134 / 80% + of US homes have internet access.
Where is this data from? I found this:
Internet users as of March/2006: 68.6% of the population, according to Nielsen//NetRatings.
So a little off from your 80% figure.
Now I hate to be sticky over details, but only 50% of french households have internet access
This plan calls for a 60% coverage of French households initially, with a rollout to the other 40% over time. The later 40% will be the bulk of the investment (3 times the initial 60% coverage). So their goal is to get 100% broadband coverage. What is the US figure for broadband coverage?
We have a much larger area to cover, and getting wired across the country isn't the easiest thing to do.
I've heard arguments like this before ("they're much more tightly packed than we are, so laying down fiber in major cities has a much greater profit/sq. ft ratio than a telco could get in the US."), but there are places in New York and other large metropolises that are just as packed as some of less dense Asian cities and even they don't have bandwidth to compare. I am not saying that every square inch must be covered at once. But at least start rolling out something in major metropolitan areas, to be rolled out across the country over time.
Also, How many updates must we have? We laid T3, then started OC3, and OC12 and we keep working, but because of our size every time we get half way through laying down the technology for better service, a new one has already emerged.
I don't want to derail this thread, but our situation is a joke and gets worse everyday. The United States currently ranks 12th in the world for broadband subscribers. Our system is so messed up it is ridiculous. Backdoor political dealings, payoffs, etc...it all just screws over the consumer and lines the pockets even more of these corporations. Believe me, if I had a choice in broadband providers, I would drop Comcast in a second. But guess what? I don't! There is no other means of getting broadband where I am located. So it is either take it from Comcast, or go back to dialup. And with 3 guys in an apartment, dialup isn't even close to an option.
But really, we have government regulation to thank for our laughable phone and data networks. By trying to encourage phone companies to lay out phone wire in not so profitable locations back in the 40s and 50s, we granted them monopolies, and now they've become as poorly managed as the airlines. Most phone companies in European countries are also monopolies. The difference is that they're government regulated and partially (or wholly) government funded monopolies. It's that lack of state intervention that makes the huge difference. On the one hand, we (Americans) have never really had to wait long times to get phone service for decades. On the other hand, our internet growth has become a quagmire.
Criticize all you want, but if you need to download at 2.5GB per second that bad go ahead and move to France. Fuckin A.
But here is the thing. It is not just you or me. Imagine if businesses could get lines like these at these kinds of prices, rather than paying hundreds of dollars for a T1. Having this kind of bandwidth (or potential) could open the doors for many smaller business ideas, or allow existing companies to offer greater services. Imagine IPTV, VOIP, Internet, on demand movies, etc, all over one pipe into your home for $85/month.