or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006) - Page 47

post #1841 of 2106
AVS was Pro Blu-ray until Sony delivered crap along with Samsung.

Great Blu-ray looks better blah blah blah.. Wake me up when Blu-ray movie sales aren't abysmal.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1842 of 2106
Ok once again we've seen a dual release of a film on both HD DVD and Blu-ray at the same time. Let's view how they are doing.

A Christmas Story

Amazon Rank for Blu-ray is 5,703

Amazon Rank for HD DVD is 453

National Lampoon's Christman Vacation

Amazon Rank for Blu-ray is 5,714

Amazon Rank for HD DVD is 490

Remember these were just released simultaneously after the Playstation 3 invaded the Planet. How much proof does one need to realize that Blu-ray is a liability right now with little support?

HD DVD fans. Don't be surprised to pick up a studio or two pretty darn fast in 2007. Studios have even better access to sales than Amazon and I assure you their data is likely saying the same thing.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1843 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

Ok once again we've seen a dual release of a film on both HD DVD and Blu-ray at the same time. Let's view how they are doing.

A Christmas Story

Amazon Rank for Blu-ray is 5,703

Amazon Rank for HD DVD is 453

National Lampoon's Christman Vacation

Amazon Rank for Blu-ray is 5,714

Amazon Rank for HD DVD is 490

Remember these were just released simultaneously after the Playstation 3 invaded the Planet. How much proof does one need to realize that Blu-ray is a liability right now with little support?

HD DVD fans. Don't be surprised to pick up a studio or two pretty darn fast in 2007. Studios have even better access to sales than Amazon and I assure you their data is likely saying the same thing.


Hm... few possible scenario and explanations on behalf of BD fanatics.

1) Blu-Ray player owners don't like x-mas and will not buy movies about x-mas.
2) Blu-Ray player owners are younger than HD-DVD player owners and only buy first person shooter movies.
3) Blu-Ray player owners don't shop at Amazon.
4) Blu-Ray player owners are waiting for Sony release BD50 version of these movies.
5) Blu-Ray player owners would rather play games instead of watching BD movies.

Hm... that about covers the basics...

numbers would spread even wider once the 2nd gen HD-DVD players role out...... starting next week?...
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #1844 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac

2) Blu-Ray player owners are younger than HD-DVD player owners and only buy first person ...


haha, that was good but flawed. the playstation is the worse console out of the three for shooters
post #1845 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

Don't be surprised to pick up a studio or two pretty darn fast in 2007.

I bow my head and fervently pray it will be Fox.
post #1846 of 2106
I was at Best Buy last night and to my surprise the seemingly knowledgeable sales person unequivocally informed that HD-DVD only supports 720p and does not support 1080i and 1080p.

I told him I was under the impression that HD-DVD did support 1080, but he was adamant it did not.

Seems there is at least a bias against HD-DVD at this particular Best Buy.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #1847 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickag

I was at Best Buy last night and to my surprise the seemingly knowledgeable sales person unequivocally informed that HD-DVD only supports 720p and does not support 1080i and 1080p.
I told him I was under the impression that HD-DVD did support 1080, but he was adamant it did not.
Seems there is at least a bias against HD-DVD at this particular Best Buy.

Not all Best Buys are like this but far too many have Salestaff that won't even read the box to make sure their info is correct. Woe to the poor soul that tries these lame tactics on me.

I think I'm going to have a fun time listening to a BB drone try to explain to me why 1080p is better than 1080i regarding Blu-ray vs HD DVD. That oughta be fun.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1848 of 2106
I couldn't argue with him because my knowledge of all this is extremely limited. I was really there looking for a Panasonic PV-GS500 camcorder and swung by to ask questions. I think in this case I might represent the typical consumer(ie: ignorant)

My main concern was, if I spend the money on an LCD or Plasma HD TV, what the heck benefit will it be for me since I only have basic cable and not digital cable(re: shows you how ignorant I am). I suspect most consumers are in the same boat with me.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #1849 of 2106
I'm with you on this rickag. HD content can be hard to come by. My local cable operator doesn't have any. I can get dish network and pick up about 14 channels.

If blue ray or HD dvd would pick up some steam it would help. Right now their battle amongst each other is limiting their adoption.

I'll probably get an HD LCD set tis month but I'm not sure I'll be able to get enough content (initially) to make it worth it. Hopefully it'll get better next year.
post #1850 of 2106
I also was considering a HD LCD or Plasma since the prices are really coming down. I ruled out a plasma though. At that Best Buy they had a large plasma marked down that was returned due to burn in.

The original buyer had run it exclusively on 4:3 aspect ratio so the left side and right side had a very noticeable lines running vertically down the screen. Since most of the programming I would be receiving would be 4:3 I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money and have the same problem. I thought that the plasma manufacturers had solved this burn in problem?

Looks like I'll be holding off getting an HD TV for awhile until most all stations broadcast HD.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Reply
post #1851 of 2106
Regarding sales figures for HD and BR movies, by next year at this time we should have a better idea of which format is "winning" or at least not loosing as much. This is a long-term battle so sales figures now don't mean much except to provide some temporary bragging rights.
post #1852 of 2106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

Ok once again we've seen a dual release of a film on both HD DVD and Blu-ray at the same time. Let's view how they are doing.

A Christmas Story

Amazon Rank for Blu-ray is 5,703

Amazon Rank for HD DVD is 453

National Lampoon's Christman Vacation

Amazon Rank for Blu-ray is 5,714

Amazon Rank for HD DVD is 490

Remember these were just released simultaneously after the Playstation 3 invaded the Planet. How much proof does one need to realize that Blu-ray is a liability right now with little support?

HD DVD fans. Don't be surprised to pick up a studio or two pretty darn fast in 2007. Studios have even better access to sales than Amazon and I assure you their data is likely saying the same thing.

More proof than one online site that represents a small percentage of the HD Media market (remember most people don't purchase movies online), and certainly proof from more than just an online site that lacks the full representation (numbers and titles) of Blu-ray titles, and certainly proof from data garnered from something that has been on the market longer than three weeks.

This is laughable. Three weeks in, and already the HD DVD zealots are claiming doom. My, my, my, it seems since the PS3 has invaded the planet all of your claims have gotten more desperate and even more far reaching in their already grandeose flair.
post #1853 of 2106
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73

Regarding sales figures for HD and BR movies, by next year at this time we should have a better idea of which format is "winning" or at least not loosing as much. This is a long-term battle so sales figures now don't mean much except to provide some temporary bragging rights.

I agree wholeheartedly.
post #1854 of 2106
Thread Starter 
Blu-ray Buzz blog...(Andy Parsons
Senior Vice President, Advanced Product Development, Pioneer Electronics & Marty Gordon
Vice President, Philips Hollywood office)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/blu-ray/?p=4

Quote:
A couple of the hats I wear these days in my job at Pioneer is to serve as chair of the Blu-ray Disc Associations (BDA) U.S. promotion committee, as well as to act as one of its spokespeople. In these roles I often find myself chatting with many people around the world about one of my favorite subjects, the Blu-ray Disc format (BD). All sorts of questions tend to come up, from the basic (why do we need a high definition disc format, anyway?) to the more technical (say, whats the maximum bit rate for audio and video codecs on a BD-ROM disc?). Some questions reflect rumors or speculative information thats been circulated on a number of discussion forums around the Internet, much of which has caused some confusion. We dont like confusion about Blu-ray, so when the opportunity came up to start this blog, Marty and I jumped at the opportunity to provide an informal BD-centric site where we can discuss subjects we think are interesting and important, and to provide a place where anyone whos interested can direct questions to a couple of official BDA guys. Marty and I are pretty busy people and tend to travel around quite a lot, so we will do the best we can to keep things as fresh and responsive as our schedules permit. Theres only one caveat: we cannot comment on specific products, since we are representing the Blu-ray Disc Association in this space and not the companies that produce BD products. Otherwise, welcome to our blog site I hope it will be of value to you.

Hmm, I wonder where the bold there could come from? It is nice to see a blog where people can get some straight answers concerning Blu-ray from those directly involved with Blu-ray, rather than information on Blu-ray from Amir/AVS fudsters.
post #1855 of 2106
Parsons is basically Amir without the techical knowledge. He's pitching his companies favorite product. I've never read anything from him that was shock and awe creating. So I'm not expecting much from the Blog.

The consumers are speaking loud and clear. They don't care for Blu-ray much and they certainly don't want to wait forever while the BDA gets their act together.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1856 of 2106
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=764683

Quote:
Yes, got A2 From BB today! Had my A1 in to their repair facility for over a month and they said not repairable, so gave me exchange for A2. I tried to get A2 before lunch today but had not come in yet!

Behold, got phone call from BB at 1PM and UPS just delivered the first A2 shipment so dashed over and picked it up.

I know there are many questions, and I only had chance to do quick test but so far it's much better than A1 for performance. I checked out the first problem title for most folks with E.O.Days and played TrueHD track flawless not lag, pause or hiccups at all. Then checked out some of KK just to be sure it works and just fine with it.

First thing I noticed on my setup is even better blacks, at least to my eyes. Also much faster, how fast? just like Toshiba says about twice as quick as A1. Another plus is when movie does start don't get all the flashing and video noise like the A1, just starts smooth like it should.

Not a lot of time spent with it yet, so hope this helps take the edge of all you folks still waiting for it to get in your hands. I think it is well worth the wait, but of course my A1 was great for about 6 months before it got sick, hope our new A2's will have better results

Ummm yes I'm buying this sucker early next year.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1857 of 2106
Folks,

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback158.html

I am getting weaker. Please help.
post #1858 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvosx

Folks,

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback158.html

I am getting weaker. Please help.

The cure....

http://www.valueelectronics.com/Toshiba_HD-A2.htm
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1859 of 2106
[QUOTE=luvosx]Folks,

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback158.html

at least he admits to making premature predictions that were highly unsound.


i mean the forecasts alone for the ps3 were a joke to begin with.
post #1860 of 2106
Blu-ray really is the better technology and the better option. But price is always the bottom line. Sony needs to get the goddamn price of blu-ray players down or their ship will sink and they will loose a HELL of a lot of money just like they did with Betamax.
post #1861 of 2106
They have a lot more to lose - in fact they lost betamax, minidisc, hdd based mp3 players, well mp3 players (their draconian stupid atrac shit), evilla and all they retained was their pigheadedness ...

This time, it is not just the format, they will lose the PS3 as well into the dead sony standards/gadgets abyss - but this time, it will take the company with it as well.

For two years they have been screwing around with bluray - why not make the damned chips or blocks or whatever them thingamajigs that spew out the blue laser - rivals have taken over and are nowhere to be seen to catch up. Much like their great prognosis about how hdd based players would ever take off a few years back and happily settling down to sell 64mb players for f*ing 200 bucks.

Baseless arrogance must end and sense must prevail, I guess.

PS3 has a lot of promise and potential - Bluray has arguably better technology - my experience with toshiba has not been really stellar either - my first laptop died, my dvd/vcr combo packed up for no reason exactly after 13 months of operation playing 5 dvds wholly at the most, the toshiba tablet wireless malfunctioning after only 2 years of operation - all put together, I am seething with the agony of not knowing which side of the wall the cat is going to jump - and wherever it does - will i like it.

Ah well, ranting relieves the systole/diastole imbalance

Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

Blu-ray really is the better technology and the better option. But price is always the bottom line. Sony needs to get the goddamn price of blu-ray players down or their ship will sink and they will loose a HELL of a lot of money just like they did with Betamax.
post #1862 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

The cure....

Well, I could wait no longer and took advantage of your tip. Depending on how you went into the site, you got either the $449 preorder price or $499, and either two free movies or your choice of one plus an aquarium DVD. We'll see what happens with my order!
post #1863 of 2106
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3891791a28,00.html

so at first they hoped on 10million, people were claiming no way


now from the looks of it they might end up shipping over that estimate
post #1864 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

Blu-ray really is the better technology and the better option. But price is always the bottom line. Sony needs to get the goddamn price of blu-ray players down or their ship will sink and they will loose a HELL of a lot of money just like they did with Betamax.

If we were still using MPEG2 Blu-ray would be the better option. As of today Blu-ray is 5GB shy vs HD DVD on the avg disc, doesn't offer combo media support and still has fledgling interactivity.

Not too impressive. The extra storage of BD50 is pretty useless unless you like extras more than the movie itself. With AVC and VC-1 we simply do not need much extra space beyond 30GB.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1865 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBruin

Well, I could wait no longer and took advantage of your tip. Depending on how you went into the site, you got either the $449 preorder price or $499, and either two free movies or your choice of one plus an aquarium DVD. We'll see what happens with my order!

Preliminary reports are great on the HD-A2. No hiccups with notoriously tough discs. No lockups...good quality and faster performance.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1866 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

If we were still using MPEG2 Blu-ray would be the better option. As of today Blu-ray is 5GB shy vs HD DVD on the avg disc, doesn't offer combo media support and still has fledgling interactivity.

Not too impressive. The extra storage of BD50 is pretty useless unless you like extras more than the movie itself. With AVC and VC-1 we simply do not need much extra space beyond 30GB.

One word: Software.

With Blu-Ray, final cut studio can fit on ONE disc. You need two with HD-DVD.

You might say that software is not big enough to matter, but more and more it will. OS systems will get larger, games will get larger, everything gets larger, and you don't want a technology that will only last for a few years only to have another format battle in a few years.

Not to mention that for personal uses, you most likely won't be recording in HD (at least now but we will be more in the future), but you will still want to record the most hours of your home videos on that DVD. The interactivity of blu-ray is said to be much better in terms of capability, response speed, and the extra capacity.
post #1867 of 2106
Paramount has three 2-disc titles
Reds
Mission Impossible III
World Trade Center

Studios like the option of one disc when it suits their needs but they also realize that consumers are conditioned to think that 2-disc movies are "Premium" Thus even though content fits on one disc that doesn't mean we're not going to see the 2-disc movies.

You are incorrect about things getting larger. The first HD DVD titles hit at 18-20Mbps avg bitrate with VC-1. The newer titles like Batman Begins and other steller titles are now avg about 14Mbps yet the quality has actually "improved". New encoding tools allow the bitrate to shrink while keeping quality.

Toshiba has already announced a slimline HD DVD-R recorder. We expect that CES 2007 will bring half height recorders for PC applications.

The interactivity of Blu-ray is behind the HDi features of HD DVD. HDi had PiP interactivity before BD-J...which promptly caused the BDA to bolt that feature on. There are more titles on HD DVD utilizing HDi (IME, Ucontrol etc).

Again I don't fault you. Most people supporting Blu-ray seem to do so because of common misconceptions. It does look superior on paper but for movie distribution HD DVD is a pretty solid format.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1868 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

Paramount has three 2-disc titles
Reds
Mission Impossible III
World Trade Center

Studios like the option of one disc when it suits their needs but they also realize that consumers are conditioned to think that 2-disc movies are "Premium" Thus even though content fits on one disc that doesn't mean we're not going to see the 2-disc movies.

You are incorrect about things getting larger. The first HD DVD titles hit at 18-20Mbps avg bitrate with VC-1. The newer titles like Batman Begins and other steller titles are now avg about 14Mbps yet the quality has actually "improved". New encoding tools allow the bitrate to shrink while keeping quality.

Toshiba has already announced a slimline HD DVD-R recorder. We expect that CES 2007 will bring half height recorders for PC applications.

The interactivity of Blu-ray is behind the HDi features of HD DVD. HDi had PiP interactivity before BD-J...which promptly caused the BDA to bolt that feature on. There are more titles on HD DVD utilizing HDi (IME, Ucontrol etc).

Again I don't fault you. Most people supporting Blu-ray seem to do so because of common misconceptions. It does look superior on paper but for movie distribution HD DVD is a pretty solid format.

I did not say that movies were getting larger. I said software was getting larger. And sooner or later, movies will get larger when 1080p is not the highest resolution anymore.
post #1869 of 2106
We'll be downloading those movies. Both HD DVD and Blu-ray max out at 1080.

I think Sony should give up on the 100-200GB fantasy. Consumers don't care if there are a couple of discs in the package.

Should be an interesting 2007. Can Sony mount a fierce comeback? Stay tuned at 11
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #1870 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison

We'll be downloading those movies. Both HD DVD and Blu-ray max out at 1080.

I think Sony should give up on the 100-200GB fantasy. Consumers don't care if there are a couple of discs in the package.

Should be an interesting 2007. Can Sony mount a fierce comeback? Stay tuned at 11

Ha! We won't be downloading ANYTHING HD soon. That will take a few years with the shitty internet infrastructure and bandwidth in the US.
post #1871 of 2106
Agreed.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #1872 of 2106
Bullshit. If you're playing a game and you have to get up and swap discs every 5 seconds you get fucked off. Period. If you are watching a movie and have to swap discs you get fucked off too. What the fuck are you talking about?
post #1873 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules

What the fuck are you talking about?

You first.
post #1874 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

Ha! We won't be downloading ANYTHING HD soon.

I'm not so sure. We went from 56k modems to cable fairly fast, and I think the cable industry must be thinking that movie downloads can bring in a lot of cash and bury the slower ADSL services at the same time.

Besides, outside of the videophile market, wouldn't everyone just be satisfied with DVD-quality downloads?
Is there a real clamour for HD downloads from the masses?

With the players in this game: Netflix, Tivo, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Big Cable etc., I wouldn't write anything off too quickly.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #1875 of 2106
I dunno. There may not be clamor for HD downloads now, but once you start watching much HD content SD looks pretty mediocre. It's hard to go back.

And what's really interesting is that once you see real HD, Blueray or HDDVD, on a 1080 capable display, you realize that the HD you're getting from cable or satellite is comparatively mediocre.

That is to say, cable or satellite HD is enough to make you never want to watch SD TV again, but a good transfer on HDDVD or Blueray is enough to make you never want to watch a standard DVD again, particularly on a large display.

As it stands, I don't think there is enough difference between an upscaled DVD and cable or satellite HD to make people start demanding HD downloads, but if an HD disc format starts to get some traction I think it will start to change expectations of what a movie is "supposed" to look like, in the same way HD cable and satellite have changed expectations of what TV is "supposed" to look like.

OTOH, I've had clients that were sure they were seeing HD because they were paying Comcast for HD service, even though they had no HD display, or in one case payed for the service, had an HD display, and had it hooked up with a fucking RF cable, so who knows. Maybe everybody is blind.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #1876 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777

I'm not so sure. We went from 56k modems to cable fairly fast, and I think the cable industry must be thinking that movie downloads can bring in a lot of cash and bury the slower ADSL services at the same time.

Besides, outside of the videophile market, wouldn't everyone just be satisfied with DVD-quality downloads?
Is there a real clamour for HD downloads from the masses?

With the players in this game: Netflix, Tivo, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Big Cable etc., I wouldn't write anything off too quickly.

The phone companies made a deal with the government that they would build a high-speed multiple-fiber optic cable network in exchange for tax-cuts and exemptions. They got these tax cuts and exemptions but never built the network, and now they are trying to make another deal with the government, to get rid of net neutrality, in order to make customers pay for the network. Europe and Asia already have internet 100 times faster for the same monthly price we pay for 3-5mbs. I don't see the phone companies laying down a good internet infrastructure any time soon. Also, most people would prefer to rent High Definition movies (I'm talking about in the future with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) than buy them at DVD quality through the internet for a few reasons: 1) Cheaper to rent and many people don't actually want to buy the movie, 2) With DVD's the movies are on a Universal medium (once one of the two new formats wins), 3) Internet, speeds take forever to download a movie at near DVD quality, it is faster to drive to the store and rent one. Once integration with computers and the living room is more complete (the next 1-3 years), we have a fast infrastructure for internet and downloading large things can be done at very high speeds (next 2-6 years), and their are online rental options (1-2 years), can we have online movie downloads be successful. So at minimum we are looking at around 2 years and maximum of about 6 years according to my estimations.
post #1877 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball

The phone companies made a deal with the government that they would build a high-speed multiple-fiber optic cable network in exchange for tax-cuts and exemptions. They got these tax cuts and exemptions but never built the network, and now they are trying to make another deal with the government, to get rid of net neutrality, in order to make customers pay for the network. Europe and Asia already have internet 100 times faster for the same monthly price we pay for 3-5mbs. I don't see the phone companies laying down a good internet infrastructure any time soon. Also, most people would prefer to rent High Definition movies (I'm talking about in the future with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) than buy them at DVD quality through the internet for a few reasons: 1) Cheaper to rent and many people don't actually want to buy the movie, 2) With DVD's the movies are on a Universal medium (once one of the two new formats wins), 3) Internet, speeds take forever to download a movie at near DVD quality, it is faster to drive to the store and rent one. Once integration with computers and the living room is more complete (the next 1-3 years), we have a fast infrastructure for internet and downloading large things can be done at very high speeds (next 2-6 years), and their are online rental options (1-2 years), can we have online movie downloads be successful. So at minimum we are looking at around 2 years and maximum of about 6 years according to my estimations.


and that is absolute goddamn BS! any time i get to call up the internet company or phone company i give them hell.

it's absolute horse crap the kind of monopoly these stupid companies have, its an absolute joke. we have the worst internet and we're in the damn U.S OF A

seriously wtf?? it drives me up the wall when i think about it.
post #1878 of 2106
Thread Starter 
Sony Bashers will Eat their Words in 2007

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7907/1023/

Quote:
Based on reports of what's circulating through the blogosphere, video consumers are mighty dissatisfied with Blu-ray and gamers are unhappy that PS3 has upped the price of the console by including Blu-ray. Then of course, there's all of those stories about how Sony couldn't meet its production targets. In 2007, when PS3 stocks are plentiful, they'll eat their words.

The few hundred thousand of console units Sony has brought to market in the US and Japan so far have sold out within minutes. The Japanese games market leader believes it will starting biting huge chunks out of the new generation consoles market once it is able to get sufficient supplies into stores.

Meanwhile, an under reported fact is that the biggest selling console on the market last month was not the Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360 but the PS2.

According to research group Cymfony, consumers are turning away from Blu-ray, based on research of the sentiments of chatter in thousands of blogs. However, Sony appears unfazed by the Cymfony findings.

There is currently a huge campaign underway from HD DVD advocates to push the standard ahead of Blu-ray. One group, calling itself HD Now Online has created a website calling for petitions to pressure movie studios to get behind HD DVD and move away from Blu-ray.

While hard core gamers may not be pleased that Sony has added to the cost of PS3 consoles by including Blu-ray players, HD DVD advocates are no doubt even more displeased. Sony has created a strategy for getting more Blu-ray players into the hands of consumers within weeks than standalone HD DVD purveyors could do in months to date.

What's more, by leveraging Blu-ray off the games console market, Sony has been able to reduce the cost of Blu-ray players to equivalent prices to that of HD DVD. It's almost a given that PS3 will be the biggest selling Blu-ray player in 2007 and will quite likely outsell all the standalone HD DVD players combined.

Whether Sony succeeds in meeting its target of 6 million PS3 units shipped by March 2007 is really missing the point. As the continued sales of PS2 attests, the consoles race is a long haul business and Sony appears determined to stick it out to the end.

Ya know I hate to say, it but the title does seem very plausible come 2007.
post #1879 of 2106
From: http://news.digitaltrends.com/article11886.html

Quote:
Market analysis firm Cymfony has released a brief research report, "A Blue Christmas for Blu-ray" (available for download with registration) which reports results from combing through more than 17,000 postings in blogs and online discussion boards during October and November 2006. The results? Sony's next-generation Blu-ray technology is awash in negative buzz, as online consumers express skepticism over Sony's ability to deliver a market-defining technology, and express resentment that the PlayStation 3 video game console has been rendered expensive—and hard-to-get—because of the company's decision to include a Blu-ray drive.

According to Cymfony, the reasons online consumers cite for disliking Blu-ray don't match the main points hit in the technology press (those being the cost of Blu-ray players and the "format war" between HD DVD and Blu-ray. Instead, 26 percent of online posters express a general dislike for the format, citing Sony's history of proprietary formats which fail to capture a marketplace (like BetaMax and MiniDisc, and, it's looking like, Sony's UMD movie discs). Many posters also felt Sony was an "arrogant" company. Another 21 percent of online consumers based their dislike for Blu-ray on Sony's decision to include Blu-ray in the PlayStation 3 gaming console.

Cymfony's analysis found the competing HD DVD format garnered 46 percent more "positive discussions" than Blu-ray. Cympfony also found comparatively few people are talking about Blu-ray's larger storage capacity or wider-ranging interactive features. But Cymfony's data also shows that many online posters haven't made up their mind on either Blu-ray or HD DVD, with over half expressing neutral opinions about the formats (53.1 percent neutral for Blu-ray, 52.8 percent for HD DVD).

Cymfony followed posts on 323 discussion boards and blogs, but found that almost 60 percent of the posts were on only 44 sites. Loosely categorized, Cymfony felt posters were roughly 40 percent videophiles, 19 percent were gamers, and 41 percent expressed themselves on "low volume sites.

Not to say it's right or wrong, but if this is what consumers are saying...
post #1880 of 2106
It's obvious to me why Blu Ray, and PS3 is getting bashed initially. It's second out of the gate, and the availability of the PS3 is hard to come by. Frustration with the availability, and price of the format has driven many to jump the gun and buy the other format. Thus when the BR, and PS3 devices become more readily available and more people get them, HD-DVD buyers are looking at possible loosing battle in the future, and a dead end on their initial investment in HD-DVD. Badmouthing it as much as possible (the proof is in this thread) is the best way to turn users, which in turn gains them more advocates to help them back up their investment. I'm not that foolish or impatient, and I still see the greater benefits of the BR format. I can wait til mid 2007.
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
onlooker
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: parts unknown




http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)